DC Civil War

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
This is the DCU circa Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Imagine that a Meta-Human Control and Registration Resolution is about to be passed by the UN and is supported by all the members of the UN security council.

Where would the line be drawn? I think its pretty obvious who would lead the anti-regs (Batman) but I don't know whether Superman would go the route of DKR and be the UN's lap-dog or if he'd side with his friend and ally. Also how would it end and which side would win if any?

Q99
A big problem is the anti-regers lead/heavily influence most of the teams smile The titans'll listen to Dick, JLA Batman, Outsiders Alfred, etc.. The Wonder clan will go with whatever side they think is more right, and furthermore are associated with a government that was at least once part of the UN that'll object to it. Superman I can see basically refereeing and making sure neither side goes too far.

Also the JSA were presented with this very choice way back, and they all quit rather than sign up. So Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, etc.? They're anti-reg, and most of the rest of the JSA is likely to follow them.

I think what they'll try and do is collectively ride out the public backlash, fighting crime, while appealing to the public openly and more actively than the Marvel anti-reggers would. They'd pull out stuff like various government black op super programs, of which they have a lot of experience with, have Mr. Terrific vouch that Checkmate can do it's job without the registration and has done so fine, etc. etc..

I don't think it turning into open violence as much, and the hero community won't be as split. More neutrals, more communication.

Omega Vision
^ That's logical but boring. stick out tongue

Q99
There would be the government supers, and DC's government super programs tend to generally be more successful than Marvel's (SHIELD's great, but it's mundanes with good gear and some minor metahumans like Scorpion. DC China has the Great Ten, Waller in the US can whip up 40~ meta suicide squads if need be, Russia the Rocket Reds, etc.), so just vs government forces is going to be pretty interesting, but one issue is DC supers work with governments when requested often as-is, while making their independence clear.

DC supers are viewed more as an asset, and less feared by the governments, but there could still be a big fight there.

Of course, the government has turned on the JLA and similar a time or two.

Omega Vision
I would like to see a scenario where Superman is sort of forced into the position of Pro-Reg leader with the forces of Checkmate, the Suicide Squad, the Secret Six, Rocket Reds, and the Great Ten under his command up against Batman who would lead all the other superheroes in the anti-reg side.

JakeTheBank
Some interpretations of Superman (DKR), portray him as a government stooge, but I can't him being pro-reg if it meant revealing his identity to the government. Batman being anti-reg would mean the pro-reg side is pretty much going to fight an uphill battle against him and his forces.

Q99
Hm, who other than Superman could lead pro-Regs, because honestly I don't see modern Superman doing it...

JakeTheBank
Maybe Captain Atom.

Omega Vision
Wonder Woman possibly?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Wonder Woman possibly?

If anyone was the "neutral party", I can see it being WW. As an ambassador of a foriegn country, she'd probably be exempt from the process. She could also probably open up the shores of Themyscria to those being forced to register and offer them asylum.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
If anyone was the "neutral party", I can see it being WW. As an ambassador of a foriegn country, she'd probably be exempt from the process. She could also probably open up the shores of Themyscria to those being forced to register and offer them asylum.
Or she'd be deputized by the UN.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Or she'd be deputized by the UN.

True.

Interestingly enough, at this DC rpg forum I'm a member of, we did do a civil war storyline, only instead of the issue being centered around registration of metahumans, it was over this controversial cure that Luthor made. One cure essentially cured any and all ailments and disabilities while the another version of the cure promised literally immortality. It was a pretty neat storyline.

In any case, I think the Civil War idea is one thing that for the most part probably wouldn't translate well into DC unless it was significantly altered or the issue being debated was completely different.

Martian_mind
Whom she'd tell to go f*ck themeselves.

Q99
Maybe Captain Atom.

Yea, he'd be the classic choice if he came back. Though he doesn't quite have the moral impact of the others.

Hm... what about Hal Jordan and John Stewart?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Q99
Yea, he'd be the classic choice if he came back. Though he doesn't quite have the moral impact of the others.

Hm... what about Hal Jordan and John Stewart?

Probably neither, imo. Both GL's challenge authority way too much and answer to a higher power than simply the government. I think despite the fact that they've both served in the armed forces (USAF/Marines), they wouldn't agree with the forcing of metahumans to register.

Q99
Probably neither, imo. Both GL's challenge authority way too much and answer to a higher power than simply the government. I think despite the fact that they've both served in the armed forces (USAF/Marines), they wouldn't agree with the forcing of metahumans to register.

Yea, but they're some of the only few with real clout in the hero community I could picture doing it. Them + Captain Atom would give the anti-regers a pretty strong core power-wise.

I could see them as trying to keep it from getting out of hand while not being too much against it.

Omega Vision
True.

Interestingly enough, at this DC rpg forum I'm a member of, we did do a civil war storyline, only instead of the issue being centered around registration of metahumans, it was over this controversial cure that Luthor made. One cure essentially cured any and all ailments and disabilities while the another version of the cure promised literally immortality. It was a pretty neat storyline.

In any case, I think the Civil War idea is one thing that for the most part probably wouldn't translate well into DC unless it was significantly altered or the issue being debated was completely different.
I could see the initial division being pro and anti with Wonder Woman leading the Pro forces under the authority of the UN and Batman leading the Anti forces. Superman would probably start off as neutral but eventually he would either join with Batman or be convinced by Wonder Woman to join her side. I could see an awesome battle where Batman suits up in a suit of powered-armor made from Nth metal and fights Wonder Woman for a while before Superman shows up and breaks the fight up and convinces them to stop fighting. At that point whoever is behind the plot (probably Luthor) would release a hidden army of clones/artificial metas to attempt to wipe out the weakened and fractionalized heroes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.