Has Superman ever killed anyone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SamZED
Has he? confused I know normally he doesn't kill, but stil..

-Pr-
He once executed three kryptonians from an alternate universe, but i think that's been retconned.

Doomsday is the most common example.

depends on what you consider to be killing. he's ripped apart plenty of intelligent robotic life forms in his time...

SamZED
Did he just kill Doomsday, Like with his bare hands? O.o

-Pr-
Originally posted by SamZED
Did he just kill Doomsday, Like with his bare hands? O.o

In Death of Superman, yes, he killed Doomsday with his final punch.

roughrider
Has he? confused I know normally he doesn't kill, but stil..

More than not normally. It would take the greatest danger possible for him to cross the line.
The three kryptonian criminals, is still a question of having been retconned or not thanks to Zero Hour and IC. Doomsday is still a current example. The Anti-Monitor, he knows it would take death to stop him.

SamZED
Why did he kill the kryptonians?

roughrider
Why did he kill the kryptonians?

Because they were more powerful than he was, and had killed every single person on the Earth of their dimension. He managed to depower them with the Red Kryptonite from their dimension, but they scoffed about the loss of their powers, saying they would get them back and come after him and his Earth. So Superman reluctantly decided to play executioner, and pulled out the Green Kryptonite to their horror. He held it on them until they were dead.
The event troubled him so much, he had trouble sleeping and developed a split personality, a more ruthless side who played vigilante in the Gangbuster costume.

SamZED
Wow. Makes me glad it was retconned. Thanks for the info.

steverules_2
Retconned? Dunno what that means and dunno how it was retconned..

Kazenji
retconv. to retroactively revise (a plot, storyline, character, event, history, etc.), usu. by reinterpreting past events,

Hell Lancer
superman=hypocrite

roughrider
Originally posted by Hell Lancer
superman=hypocrite

No. He believes what he does, not matter if it's naive or not (Orion has called him that in the past.)
Batman is more deserving of being called hypocritical.

Hell Lancer
how is Bruce Layme a hypocrite? confused

-Pr-
Superman also killed Brainiac and Imperiex during OWAW. In a way, anyway...

Endless Mike
Yeah but that wasn't the "real" Brainiac

roughrider
Originally posted by Hell Lancer
how is Bruce Layme a hypocrite? confused

Just in his views about protecting people from harm, yet observe the huge body count the Joker has amassed, in the face of select principles Bruce holds to.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Yeah but that wasn't the "real" Brainiac

yeah. bloody retcons...

newark
You'd think all those bullets that bounce off of him when he's around a crowd of people would have killed at least one person, could you blame a death like that on him?

Endless Mike
Originally posted by newark
You'd think all those bullets that bounce off of him when he's around a crowd of people would have killed at least one person, could you blame a death like that on him?

Well I remember one time he was worried about that happening so he caught the bullets instead.

roughrider
Originally posted by newark

I don't know if bullets should bounce off him with the same speed they hit, or just fall in a heap in front of him. I know artists like to make it look more dramatic by showing them going off in crazy directions.

Enyalus
Originally posted by -Pr-
He once executed three kryptonians from an alternate universe, but i think that's been retconned.
Was it? That's not cool. Those stories were really fun. Classic early 90's, gritty stuff.

kevdude
Originally posted by -Pr-
yeah. bloody retcons...

Hey pr or anyone else, do you have a issue number when that happened?

Reflassshh
It happened in Superman #22 or 23, it was Byrne's last arc.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Reflassshh
It happened in Superman #22 or 23, it was Byrne's last arc.

thumb up

Thanks for that.

kevdude
Thanks, I was asking about Brainiac tho. I found it, Action Comics 866 and the next 4 comics are part of the story. Freakin retcons!! thumb down

-Pr-
Oh shit, sorry.

kevdude
Yeah no prob big grin

I guess we can now add the new Doomsday, but of course this is new continuity. I doubt DC will have him kill anyone else or at least for a long while. What do you think pr?

-Pr-
No idea. Theyre kinda going out there with him atm. I hope they don't go too far with him too much.

krisblaze
I think he's killed some intelligent alien bugs.

cdtm
And sentient robots. He didn't consider AI based life forms alive, and destroyed without a second thought.

cdtm
Originally posted by Enyalus
Was it? That's not cool. Those stories were really fun. Classic early 90's, gritty stuff.

They killed their Earth, though. Including making it into a burnt out husk, by ripping apart the ozone layer.

I could see why people hate the fact Superman would kill, but I thought Byrne did a really good job making you care about a world that was doomed to disappear one way or another, thanks to Zero Hour.

It was grim and gritty stuff, but not really the senseless, shock jock kind.

C-3POTheClever
He kills Zod doesn't he?

SquallX
Till this day Superman is still my all time favorite, have/will/always defend him, but sometimes the morals he goes by contradicts themselves.

Case and point, Sacrifice. He ***** and whine about Diana killing Lord, but he was fine with killing Doomsday or Brainiac, or making Darkseid suffer for all eternity in the Source Wall in the Supergirl act.

True Doomsday has no Soul unlike Lord, but doesn't that make Lord the bigger evil? Lord chooses to do the things he did, where as Doomsday never had a choice, he had no conscious of right and wrong.

krisblaze
Well, Daian's pretty bad herself.

She wanted to put Barry in jail and voted him out of the league after he killed Zoom.

Nusa105
Maybe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.