2010 Oscars!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WickedDynamite
Yeah, shocking isn't it?!

WD making an Oscar thread (the hypocrite!) well, no is just that this year QT got a bunch of awards for Inglorious Basterds. To be honest...I'm quite happy for him. I want to see him win it.

But we all know Avatar is going take it all.

Well, your thoughts....

Ms.Marvel
hurt locker should win best picture.

roughrider
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
hurt locker should win best picture.

It's going to come down to Avatar or The Hurt Locker.

This is the storyline the Academy wanted - battle of the ex spouses. big grin
James Cameron has a budget twenty times bigger and grosses to match, Kathryn Bigelow has a film with actual acting & good writing.

The Hurt Locker has swept so many of the critics awards - it should win.

Ms.Marvel
even though THL should win i think theyre going to give it to avatar. theres too much fan service involved

chiaki
I agree. Avatar was a good movie, but not as good as people are making it out to be.

I hated the Oscars last year due to the fact that, just about every oscar went to Slumdog Millionaire (movie wasn't even that good). And I don't want it to be that way this year with Avatar.

How about a little variety?

SnakeEyes

MildPossession
Hopefully, Avatar doesn't win Best Film or Best anything outside of special effects/technical nominations(not saying it's crap) I'd much rather see The Hurt Locker win over Avatar, be absolutely wonderful even to see her win Best Director. First Woman director too. PLEASEEEE.

Also, where was Moon in anything...

xJLxKing
What channel is this on? And at what time?

Hopefully, Avatar doesn't lose to Hurt Locker.

MildPossession
Let's hope it does.

It's not on television here in Britain. sad

SnakeEyes
Snubs, in my opinion:

Moon - Rockwell got no love, neither did Mansell for the score. The Blind Side can get in for Best Picture but not Moon?

500 Days of Summer - no original screenplay nod? Juno can get it, but not this flick?

Sharlto Copley should be recognized for his acting in District 9.

Charlotte Gainsbourg not getting recognized for Antichrist? Her's was the best female performance I saw this year.

And of course I also hope that Avatar doesn't win anything major; why is it that Avatar can be nominated for Best Picture/Director and a movie like The Dark Knight gets completely ignored the year before.

Anyway, Oscars suck, they always do, but I'm still pissed everytime I read the nominations for whichever year it is.

MildPossession
OMG I totally forgot about that, she totally deserved a nomination for her performance in AntiChrist!!

WickedDynamite
Star Trek should have gotten a nominee for CINEMATOGRAPHY!

darthmaul1
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

And of course I also hope that Avatar doesn't win anything major; why is it that Avatar can be nominated for Best Picture/Director and a movie like The Dark Knight gets completely ignored the year before.

Anyway, Oscars suck, they always do, but I'm still pissed everytime I read the nominations for whichever year it is.

Cause the academy members are idiots, i think avatar will take everything it is nominated for. which is ok i liked the movie, but in reality it didn't blow me away the way everyone is saying and i want to see THL to see what it is like. if the academy had more variety in the movies or people that won it would be ok. Star wars looses to Annie hall!!!! bull crap and Johnny Depp looses to Sean Penn!!! bull crap.
if a guy is nominated for a comedic role that was pulled off very well why can't he win? no they have to give it to the drama moron.

BackFire
Shitty that Moon wasn't nominated for anything.

Awesome that Up was nominated for best picture.

Rapscallion
nice to see district nine get a lot of love. i wasn't expecting it to, but it deserves it.

also good to see Harry potter get a cinematography nomination. i forgot the guy's name but he's a great a cinematography.

i think where the wild things are was snubbed. for me it was the best film of the year.

Scythe
Man I hope District 9 or Up win something.

MildPossession
Oh Up will definitely win something.

That will be Bruno Delbonnel. He worked on the wonderful French films Amelie, and A Very Long Engagement also.

I'd rather see the guy who is nominated for his work on the cinematography for Inglorious Basterds win, some of the shots and so on in IG were absolutely sublime.

FistOfThe North
If Avatar wins best pic i would'nt be upset. The movies obviously caught the attention of millions and millions of people worldwide for a reason.

And 10 best pic noms? the hell is that about..

MildPossession
It use to be more than 5 nominations years ago, so just going back to what it more or less was.

FistOfThe North
yea but 10? that's the highest it's been since like the 40's.

w/e.

Impediment
If Christoph Waltz doesn't win BSA, I'll be shocked.

I'm hoping that Coraline wins over 9 and Up.

MildPossession
9 isn't nominated in Best Animation.

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession

That will be Bruno Delbonnel. He worked on the wonderful French films Amelie, and A Very Long Engagement also.

I'd rather see the guy who is nominated for his work on the cinematography for Inglorious Basterds win, some of the shots and so on in IG were absolutely sublime.

It's an absolute disgrace that the Road wasn't nominated for best cinematography. It's the only thing about the film that was truly astounding and far better and more memorable than anything else i've seen this year.

In fact I don't think it got a single nomination for anything.

Impediment
9 isn't nominated in Best Animation.

Silly me. stick out tongue

monikaluchi
My prediction Avatar will win 5-6 awards. But the best actor will be Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart . I am sure about that.

FistOfThe North
Waltz's is gonna win best supporting actor.

dadudemon

MildPossession
I've yet to see The Road, so can't comment on the cinematography. Still must see it!!

jaden101
I've yet to see The Road, so can't comment on the cinematography. Still must see it!!

Get it sorted out, woman.

WickedDynamite
Have any of you people seen An Education? No much hype for that film....so I'm curious.

jaden101
Yes....Acting is good...Definately a film for the budding paedophile.

Carey Mulligan would get nailed in her schoolgirl outfit something fierce...

WickedDynamite
Carey Mulligan? that sounds familiar....Bleak House, right?

Anywhoo...I need to rent some of these nominated movies.

jaden101
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Carey Mulligan? that sounds familiar....Bleak House, right?

Anywhoo...I need to rent some of these nominated movies.

Never watched Bleak House. Not my cup of tea.

MildPossession
She was also in a well received episode of Dr Who, and that's one reason people think she will win the BAFTA award for rising star, all the Doctor Who fans voting for her. Ah but she is up against Twilight woman too.

Yet to see An Education, is she worthy of an Oscar Jaden compared to the others in the nominations?

jaden101
She was also in a well received episode of Dr Who, and that's one reason people think she will win the BAFTA award for rising star, all the Doctor Who fans voting for her. Ah but she is up against Twilight woman too.

Yet to see An Education, is she worthy of an Oscar Jaden compared to the others in the nominations?

Hmmm...I haven't seen any of the other performances in best actress in a leading role so I can't say. I personally didn't really like the film but I could appreciate her acting was decent. Some of her tantrums in the film seemed a bit unconvincing though.

Impediment
Coraline was a wonderfully animated film. I just so wish that it would have been more like the book.

The novel of Coraline was genuinely creepy. Awesome, awesome story by Niel Gaiman.

Still, I hope that Coraline wins for best animation.

MildPossession
I haven't read the stuff it's based on but I adored Coraline, and really quite creepy. Love it. I'd like Up, or Coraline to win.

Impediment
I urge you to read the novel.

It's ten times better than the film. yes

MildPossession
If it's a graphic novel then I'm not interested. Not a fan. stick out tongue

powelstag
Well Its quiet difficult to nominate any one movie for the Oscars so my list says following movie are best for winning the Oscar:

District 9
Precious
Up

WickedDynamite
Better show...even better...Christoph Waltz won.

That's good enough for me.

dadudemon
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Better show...even better...Christoph Waltz won.

That's good enough for me.

That was good news.

I would have liked to see Inglorious Basterds take the win for best picture, though.

Bicnarok
Oscars are crap,

roughrider
I'm glad THE HURT LOCKER won over Tarantino's revisionist fantasy (just another way of trying to say America won the war by themselves) and Cameron's story deficient visual colossus. UP would have been my next preferred choice, if Kathryn Bigelow didn't win.

dadudemon
Originally posted by roughrider
I'm glad THE HURT LOCKER won over Tarantino's revisionist fantasy (just another way of trying to say America won the war by themselves)

I didn't get that from the film, at all. no expression

darthmaul1
Whats with the horror tribute?? they stuck about 5 movies in the clips that i wouldn't even consider horrors.
jaws
alien
aliens
these 3 are borderline

but definatley
silence of the lambs is not a horror
and most certinaly twilight is not a horror.

Mairuzu
They had edwards scissor hands on there too.

Weirdest part of the oscar's... when that black guy one then all of a sudden this old white lady comes up talking all this gibberish no one understood.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Mairuzu
They had edwards scissor hands on there too.

Weirdest part of the oscar's... when that black guy one then all of a sudden this old white lady comes up talking all this gibberish no one understood.

Now i remember that one too, i was like what the hell is that doing in as a horror movie? i think there were some others too.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Now i remember that one too, i was like what the hell is that doing in as a horror movie? i think there were some others too.

At least that had creepy elements.

Why was New Moon there?

-AC

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why was New Moon there?

-AC

There's a joke in there, somewhere...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
At least that had creepy elements.

Why was New Moon there?

-AC

Who knows, if new moon is a horror then blade and harry potter could be too.

I was pissed with the tribute to the people who passed. they put in Michael Jackson whos only been in a couple of movies if that. and leave out Farrah fawcett, and ricardo Montalbaun (unless he was in last years? since he died in jan. 2009)

Myth
Whats with the horror tribute?? they stuck about 5 movies in the clips that i wouldn't even consider horrors.
jaws
alien
aliens
these 3 are borderline

but definatley

I would argue that Jaws and Alien were horror based on public reaction alone (when they were released). Though I'm totally with you on the others.

SnakeEyes
Oscars never get it right, but Avatar didn't win, so I'm satisfied!

Oh and yeah, Christoph Waltz won as well so they're not all bad.

MildPossession
Why was there a horror tribute? I didn't see the awards.

Blinky
jaws
alien
aliens
these 3 are borderline

but definatley

Believe it or not some Ms. Nancies are/were actually scared by those films...

Impediment
The Jew Hunter won. thumb up

Kazenji
Seems that they left out some people for the Memoriam

Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur

not sure.....did anyone see Dan O'Bannon's name in that too?

eriksmovie

MildPossession
Oh, I just watched the Horror tribute, and was it just American films because I didn't see one horror film from another country in that montage...

DarthLazious
I was glad Jeff Bridges won and also how he gave my cousin a shout out on stage when he won.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.