The Thing (2011)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
After LOTS of years of writing & development, the prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 classic seems about to start shooting! Happy Dance

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/02/mary-elizabeth-winstead-joel-edgerton-the-thing-universal-john-carpenter.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think it's a great show of respect to Carpenter & company; doing a prequel instead of a remake. No one would blame them after nearly thirty years, to want to start over. But it's that Norwegian camp at the beginning...we can finally see what happens.

roughrider
Hello...?

Bueller?...........Bueller?...

Kazenji
I'd rather a sequel personally.

roughrider
Maybe a sequel would follow this, if it's successful. Keeping the mystery of the final scene going has been part of that film's appeal.

Kazenji
Not sure if there was a thread for this but the search function was being stupid anyway

yeah theres a prequel coming dealing with the Norwegian's that find the alien

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=16781

Pictures- http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/imageGallery/The_Thing

darthmaul1
Really i thought they were just going to remake it?

Kazenji
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Really i thought they were just going to remake it?

well remake it for a second time.

Flyattractor
Yummpin Yimminy.

Robtard
I love Carpenter's remake, this has promise.

Myth
Comes out in April, yay! A teaser trailer had already leaked, but I can't find it.

roughrider
So the release date is set for April 29, 2011?

I don't feel positive about this. erm

A film released on the cusp of the summer movie season, often sends the message the studio doesn't think it can compete with other films in a busy season. Even February-March has become a better window for release these days. No film released the last weekend in April has ever done much of anything ( see The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, No Escape etc.)

Mindset
I don't have high hopes for this.

Kazenji
why's that?

roughrider
The big thing would be explaining the presence of some non-Norwegians in the camp. Maybe when that helicopter sailed off to the hunt the Thing, survivors got out some other way and made it to civilization, which the men at the US camp would never have known.

MildPossession
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f88/t539708.html

Should merge the two topics.

Kazenji
Like i said in the other one

"Not sure if there was a thread for this but the search function was being stupid anyway"....which it does.

Mindset
It's a prequel.

roughrider
Originally posted by MildPossession
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f88/t539708.html

Should merge the two topics.

Except we're in two different forums. Which one should it be...

MildPossession
The original topic, and I believe that's this one, so the Horror section.

Robtard
We do one thing, how it ends.

Impediment

Robtard
It became an underground hit afterward and those bastards back then didn't know what the **** they were talking about. Look at some of the horror movies that came out in 1982.

* A Stranger Is Watching
* Alone in the Dark
* Amityville II: The Possession
* Basket Case
* Blood Link
* Blood Song
* Blood Tide
* Cat People
* Creepshow
* Curse of the Cannibal Confederates
* Dark Sanity
* Deadly Eyes
* Deadly Games
* Death Valley
* Demon Seed
* Don't Go In the Woods...Alone!
* Don't Go to Sleep
* Don't Look in the Attic
* Endangered Species
* Friday the 13th Part 3
* Great White
* Honeymoon Horror
* Hospital Massacre
* House of Death
* Humongous
* Madman
* Manhattan Baby
* Midnight
* Next of Kin
* Nightbeast
* Parasite
* Poltergeist
* Q: The Winged Serpent
* Revenge in the House of Usher
* Rottweiler: Dogs of Hell
* Satan's Baby Doll
* Scorpion with Two Tails
* Slumber Party Massacre
* Superstition
* Swamp Thing
* Tenebre
* The Beast Within
* The Dorm That Dripped Blood
* The Forest
* The House Where Evil Dwells
* The Killing Hour
* The Living Dead Girl
* The New York Ripper
* The Sender
* The Slayer
* The Thing
* Time Walker
* Unhinged
* Visiting Hours
* White Dog
* Whodunit

the ninjak
Rob the Thing beats the crap out of all of those films.
Demonseed was cool. and Basket case and Poltergeist were OK

roughrider
Originally posted by Robtard
It became an underground hit afterward and those bastards back then didn't know what the **** they were talking about. Look at some of the horror movies that came out in 1982.

* A Stranger Is Watching
* Alone in the Dark
* Amityville II: The Possession
* Basket Case
* Blood Link
* Blood Song
* Blood Tide
* Cat People
* Creepshow
* Curse of the Cannibal Confederates
* Dark Sanity
* Deadly Eyes
* Deadly Games
* Death Valley
* Demon Seed
* Don't Go In the Woods...Alone!
* Don't Go to Sleep
* Don't Look in the Attic
* Endangered Species
* Friday the 13th Part 3
* Great White
* Honeymoon Horror
* Hospital Massacre
* House of Death
* Humongous
* Madman
* Manhattan Baby
* Midnight
* Next of Kin
* Nightbeast
* Parasite
* Poltergeist
* Q: The Winged Serpent
* Revenge in the House of Usher
* Rottweiler: Dogs of Hell
* Satan's Baby Doll
* Scorpion with Two Tails
* Slumber Party Massacre
* Superstition
* Swamp Thing
* Tenebre
* The Beast Within
* The Dorm That Dripped Blood
* The Forest
* The House Where Evil Dwells
* The Killing Hour
* The Living Dead Girl
* The New York Ripper
* The Sender
* The Slayer
* The Thing
* Time Walker
* Unhinged
* Visiting Hours
* White Dog
* Whodunit

Check the release dates. Many of those films were released earlier than 1982.

There's word now the release date is being shifted; another 'Fast And Furious' film is being put into that April 29 slot (I couldn't give a f*ck about that franchise), leaving The Thing without a release date, right now.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/11/the-thing-remake-universal-ouija.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed& amp;utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsandbuzz+%28News+%26+B
uzz%29

roughrider
Fall is not far away, now. I hope the shift there was worth it; late April was probably the wrong time anyway.

First teaser poster!

Omega Vision
I dislike how they're going to center it on Americans.

Personally I'd be interested if they made it in Norweigan with subtitles, maybe even film it like a kind of documentary.

I think I know how it ends, the leading lady sacrifices herself somehow while those two guys take off in the helicopter to kill the Thing and fail miserably because apparently Norweigans can't shoot for shit and don't understand grenades. stick out tongue

That's actually something that bothered me about the opening scene...how did two guys who were so horrible with guns and explosives survive to the end and force the Thing to run away?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Personally I'd be interested if they made it in Norweigan with subtitles, maybe even film it like a kind of documentary.

Ummmmmmm huh

They are going to center it on the Norweigans, Don't know where you got the idea its gonna another remake.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ummmmmmm huh

They are going to center it on the Norweigans, Don't know where you got the idea its gonna another remake.
It seems like the three principal characters are American...

Didn't say remake. Where did you read 'remake' in my post?

Myth
Trailer is online: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79822

Trailer makes it seem more like a remake than a prequel. I wonder if that is why they are just sticking with the exact same title.

roughrider
If they are staying consistent with the first movie, then they have to have a few characters who don't speak English, because they are the ones who show up at the American base, shooting at the Thing disguised as a dog.
And not everyone has to die. If Mary Elizabeth Winstead survives but isn't present at the camp, maybe making it to another base and hearing later what happened at the American base, that can work.

Kazenji
It seems like the three principal characters are American...

Didn't say remake. Where did you read 'remake' in my post?

Well from the way you were describing it

"I dislike how they're going to center it on Americans.

Personally I'd be interested if they made it in Norweigan with subtitles"

Lord Shadow Z

Myth
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Me too. I don't know why I left it long to see this but it was tense, scary and the way it ended was one of its strengths. The creature effects were just jaw-dropping, really gave the actors a lot of help - they looked scared, very scared.

The X-Files did an episode very similar to The Thing... 'Ice' season 1. Very good.

Probably my favorite X-Files episode (though I haven't seen the whole series, probably only 20 episodes)

BruceSkywalker
this looks horrible.. i may take a pass on this

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Myth
Probably my favorite X-Files episode (though I haven't seen the whole series, probably only 20 episodes)

'Squeeze' and the follow-up 'Tooms', are my favourites. I managed to get seasons 1+2, still dragging my feet over the 3rd seaon. big grin

General_Iroh
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
this looks horrible.. i may take a pass on this
How does it looks horrible? It doesn't look like it's anything great, but horrible? I dunno about that.

Lord Shadow Z

I think I know how it ends, the leading lady sacrifices herself somehow while those two guys take off in the helicopter to kill the Thing and fail miserably because apparently Norweigans can't shoot for shit and don't understand grenades. stick out tongue

To answer the thread, I agree with Omega Vision but its not really that bad to include a few different nationalities (with the only problem being you know they aren't going to make it; if it is a definite prequel) as long as there's no Brit guy who screws up somehow...

Brit Guy: 'Yes, dear fellow, just let the alien organism slide around for a bit...wouldn't hurt right?'

Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh *cue violent death*

laughing

roughrider
To all the people complaining about them including a female and a few freelance Americans at the Norwegian camp -
The filmmakers are likely keeping in mind how poorly the first film did, financially and critically. It may seem like pandering to the audience to get a female or two in here, but principles didn't bring the first film any success back in 1982. They are just trying to encourage audience appeal.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by roughrider
The filmmakers are likely keeping in mind how poorly the first film did, financially and critically. It may seem like pandering to the audience to get a female or two in here, but principles didn't bring the first film any success back in 1982. They are just trying to encourage audience appeal.

Granted, but because The Thing is popular now and often referenced when talking about sci-fi/horror classics the prequel could be done solely with Norwegians (or actors playing Norwegians) and still work and generate interest.

Like I said, I don't have a major problem with it but I can see how other people can when The Thing is clear that it was a group of secluded Norwegian scientists so dropping a few other nationalities is a bit strange. Including a woman doesn't make a difference at all, I'll give you that.

Esau Cairn
Too many flame throwers!

What's the deal with ice stations always having an abundance of these things?!?

Myth
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Too many flame throwers!

What's the deal with ice stations always having an abundance of these things?!?

Yeah, they need to stick to spray cans and lighters.

jinXed by JaNx
Should leave this franchise alone. Nothing will come close to being nearly as good as Carpenters.

Impediment
This is just another unnecessary remake. This film is going to be nothing more than updated CGI/effects with bad acting from new and unheard of actors.

I'll pass.

Kazenji
And its a remake because??

i don't remember norweigen's helping out Kurt Russell's character in John Carpenters movie.

GRIMNIR
this prequel should have been a subtitled norwegian film
norwegian cast and crew and norwegian base

the ending should have been two survivors who get in a helicopter to chase down the thing who is in dog form, once they get a visual the credits start to roll and ennio morricone score starts to play as we watch them attempt to shoot the dog

the camera then pans up and shows the base from carpenters thing in distance and fade to black big grin

roughrider
Originally posted by GRIMNIR
this prequel should have been a subtitled norwegian film
norwegian cast and crew and norwegian base

the ending should have been two survivors who get in a helicopter to chase down the thing who is in dog form, once they get a visual the credits start to roll and ennio morricone score starts to play as we watch them attempt to shoot the dog

the camera then pans up and shows the base from carpenters thing in distance and fade to black big grin

I believe most of those things are present in the film. Norwegian director, largely Norwegian cast (except for a few of the leads), some characters who don't speak English, etc.

Manofwords
Looks nigh on shot for shot identical to the superior 'original (yes I know the JC version was a remake!) -- even with the lovely MEW, this is a pass for me.

Kazenji
I really think they should've renamed the movie instead of using "The Thing" too many people think its a remake because of that....

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
This is just another unnecessary remake. This film is going to be nothing more than updated CGI/effects with bad acting from new and unheard of actors.

I'll pass.

exactly,same here.

steverules_2
So...this prequel to the thing...is called the thing...

Kazenji
Yeah what i pretty much summed up.

roughrider
I just got back from seeing it, and I think fans of the original John Carpenter film will not be disappointed. For broad appeal to non-fans, though, that may be it's weakness, as the film is a prequel that functions like an autopsy of what was suggested by the previous film.

But there are some new things to discover. And don't leave once the credits get started.

Kazenji
Does it end with a dog running off and the norweigians chasing it?

Mindset
I just got back from seeing it, and I think fans of the original John Carpenter film will not be disappointed. For broad appeal to non-fans, though, that may be it's weakness, as the film is a prequel that functions like an autopsy of what was suggested by the previous film.

But there are some new things to discover. And don't leave once the credits get started. Cool, The Thing is probably one of my top 10 fav movies.

roughrider
Does it end with a dog running off and the norweigians chasing it?

A dog is involved with the story, yes. wink

Myth
Watched it Tuesday and loved it. Critics were upset that it was nothing original, but it captured the essence of Carpenter's, and that was enough for me as a fan of the 1982 version. They do a good job leading into the 1982 version as well. Was it better than the 1982 version? No. But that is not enough reason to pan it as the critics did.

quanchi112
Slightly above expectations. Nothing special but I wasn't expecting anything special either.

Mr Parker
another pitiful remake this time a remake of a remake that bombed on opening weekend.

Patient_Leech
I still haven't seen the original. Definitely gonna do that before I see this. The original looks waaaaaayyy better..

Mr Parker
yeah i havent either and yeah it does look a lot better.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mr Parker
another pitiful remake this time a remake of a remake that bombed on opening weekend.

Prequel.

Prequel.

Pre-quel.

PrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelP
requelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPr
equelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPre
quelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPreq
uelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequ
elPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPreque
lPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequel
quelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequel.....

Understand?

Kazenji
yeah idiots go read the plot for this one....

it mentions "part of a team of Norwegian and American scientists who discover an alien buried deep in the ice of Antarctica,"

Mr. Rhythmic
Prequel.

Prequel.

Pre-quel.

quelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequelPrequel.....

Understand?

Dude, who even cares? This looks dumb, so I might as well just go re-rent Carpenter's version.

Myth
^ It was better than the commercials show.

The Nuul
Just because a movie doesnt do well at the box office that doesnt mean it sucks.

steverules_2
The fact that they named it the thing I guess would be misleading...but yeah it's a prequel...

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Myth
^ It was better than the commercials show.

Is it? Well, that's good, but I still won't go out of my way to watch it. If I see it on TV or at a cheap theater on a boring day, I might give it a shot though.

Kazenji
Should've named it 'The Thing: The beginning' something like that.

darkriddle

I agree, I keep thinking that it's a remake, too, despite knowing it's a prequel. The thing about the "Thing" no pun intended, is that Carpenters 80's film was so well made, that people, especially fans, would be hard-pressed not to compare them.

There is also the "CGI Effects VS the Traditional Effects" vibe to this, but I for one, look forward to seeing the new film - the Prequel with an open mind. It seems from trailers that they really stuck to the Norwegian Outpost story line. -- Did they?

Robtard
Not as good as 1982, but good enough and it tied in well to Carpenters film.

I liked that they dwelled a little bit into the alien's ship and there's definitely room to expand into another film/they left another open-ended ending.

roughrider

In principle you're right, but I think the marketing department found themselves caught between a rock and a hard place.

Making a very faithful prequel to a 1980's horror movie that became a classic only over time, not when it first opened. Do they try to bring the hardcore faithful of that film, or try to appeal to new fans who regard movies from that long ago as 'old'?

If they take the word 'Thing' out of the title, would people get the relationship with the other film if it was called, say, Who Goes There? (The name of the original short story.) If you call it The Thing From Another World - like the VERY first film - it sounds too 1950's cheesy. Adding a second title - The Beginning, Discovery, Arrival, Awakening, Contact etc. - would look awkward. I think the makers of Tron Legacy had a similar problem, but had the advantage of being a sequel, not a prequel. I don't know where I would have gone with it.

And though I have been harping on some people who continue to call this a remake, I will acknowledge that they tried to have it both ways with this film. Make an official prequel that in several ways just remakes parts of John Carpenter's film.

Myth

I'm sure they didn't want to do that for marketing purposes. With a title implying that it is a prequel, and then only people who saw the original would see it. With the current name, I'm sure their hope was to draw in a mix of old fans and new viewers. Unfortunately, their marketing didn't work very well given the low amount of money it pulled in.

Mindship
Saw it last weekend. No where nearly as well executed (edited?) as the 1982 version. The only thing (pun intended) this film may've added (and I doubt it was intentional) was that it might've given good cause for the Thing's aggessive behavior, ie, when the scientists drilled into it to get a tissue sample (and indeed the lead scientist seemed like your typical knowledge-at-all-costs type). I could see the alien then coming to the conclusion that it was on a hostile planet and had to defend itself.

Also, what happened to Kate Floyd at the end of the movie, or the vehicles left at the site, with regard to when Kurt and the Americans got there? Seems these loose ends were ignored.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship

Also, what happened to Kate Floyd at the end of the movie, or the vehicles left at the site, with regard to when Kurt and the Americans got there? Seems these loose ends were ignored.

That's for part 3. She likely heads to the Russian camp that was a few miles away.

Myth
^ ooh, I like the idea of that being part 3. Otherwise, I assumed she drove off and froze to death.

srankmissingnin
I'm not sure if this is a terrible movie, or merely a terrible prequel to The Thing, but I am completely unable to separate this movie from my perceptions of the original. I'm not sure how someone could watch John Carpenters The Thing and then make this movie as a prequel tie-in. The tones of the two films are completely different. The '82 movie is the epitome of a scary, paranoid bottle film... and this new one is just a generic jump scare monster movie (to its credit many of the jump scares are effective and well executed). There is no suspense, the audience is never given a moment to wonder who is infected, and every time they ask the question, someone instantly jumps out and attacks everyone. I was really disappointed, and even laughed a few times at some of the cg special effects (I'm sure everyone who saw the film can guess the parts), but I think that if I hadn't come in expecting it to be like the original I would have enjoyed it more on its own merits.

Did you guys think Joel Edgerton's character was infected in the end, or did he just lose his ear ring? His body didn't do any crazy monster stuff while it was burning.

Mindship
Skrull for sure.

Robtard
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Did you guys think Joel Edgerton's character was infected in the end, or did he just lose his ear ring? His body didn't do any crazy monster stuff while it was burning.

Good point. Did he scream crazy though? Can't recall.

Mindship
Originally posted by Robtard
Good point. Did he scream crazy though? Can't recall.

No, he did not do the weird creature scream. However: there was an earring in his right ear before they went in; it was not there when they came out (and I don't recall it being ripped out; neither do I recall the guy checking like it had been ripped off). And when Kate mentioned the missing earring, the guy did check his left ear (which is why she said, wrong ear).

I think the film's intent was for us to initially think he was infected, but then to throw us off when he screamed like a human.
Poorly done, methinks. I did not find the scenario satisfying.

EvilAngel
I really enjoyed it =) It's nothing on the old one, but I gave up hoping any horror movie ever could beat one of the classics for a long while until CG steps up it's game considerably.

I also liked how apparently the Thing has already killed the Aliens. As it has a improved version of the facehugger, no? =p

So, I was discussing some pointless and trivial detail about the movies with some friends and I wondered if it might be something you guys were interested in.

The Alien spaceship crash landed on Earth. Kind of hard to believe they didn't see it, I mean a whole planet?. So what happened? The easiest answer we figure was that it found a planet full of life forms, great! That's what it wants, right? So of all the planet to pick from, the Antarctic? It leaves a bit of confusion in the air.

Is it instead possible the spaceship doesn't actually belong to the thing at all, and instead belonged to another race the thing attacked, doing with them what it did to us? That would explain the crash a little better I would think. It did seem to be able to replicate human intelligence when it consumed us, so if it did consume the aliens that explains how it was able to build the ship in the original.

Just food for fun thought. What do you guys think? =)

Lestov16
Originally posted by EvilAngel
I really enjoyed it =) It's nothing on the old one, but I gave up hoping any horror movie ever could beat one of the classics for a long while until CG steps up it's game considerably.

I also liked how apparently the Thing has already killed the Aliens. As it has a improved version of the facehugger, no? =p

So, I was discussing some pointless and trivial detail about the movies with some friends and I wondered if it might be something you guys were interested in.

The Alien spaceship crash landed on Earth. Kind of hard to believe they didn't see it, I mean a whole planet?. So what happened? The easiest answer we figure was that it found a planet full of life forms, great! That's what it wants, right? So of all the planet to pick from, the Antarctic? It leaves a bit of confusion in the air.

Is it instead possible the spaceship doesn't actually belong to the thing at all, and instead belonged to another race the thing attacked, doing with them what it did to us? That would explain the crash a little better I would think. It did seem to be able to replicate human intelligence when it consumed us, so if it did consume the aliens that explains how it was able to build the ship in the original.

Just food for fun thought. What do you guys think? =)

If you have ever read animorphs and are familiar with the Yeerk species, they did a similar thing, and that's also what I thought when I saw the ship and they dissected it. I loved the movie. I would hate to have been that guy who got melded into split-face. That must have been painful! My only gripe with the movie is Why didn't the Thing start assimilating Winstead's leg when it grabbed her from the tunnel when she was grabbing the grenade. It pulled her out and threw her, allowing her to kill it, instead of the tentacle assimilating on contact

jinXed by JaNx
Could have done without this movie. It isn't necessarily a bad movie. Had i never seen, The Thing or Carpenters remake i probably would have liked this. It's essentially a remake of, Carpenters The Thing. Everything unfolds the same way and even the suspense is built in the same manner. The effects arent to bad but they're all CGI. Coming from all practical effects in, Carpenters, The Thing i was left unsatisfied with the effects in this one. This movie would have been better if it were more of a prequel or atleast strayed from Carpenters scenes.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Could have done without this movie. It isn't necessarily a bad movie. Had i never seen, The Thing or Carpenters remake i probably would have liked this. It's essentially a remake of, Carpenters The Thing. Everything unfolds the same way and even the suspense is built in the same manner. The effects arent to bad but they're all CGI. Coming from all practical effects in, Carpenters, The Thing i was left unsatisfied with the effects in this one. This movie would have been better if it were more of a prequel or atleast strayed from Carpenters scenes.

Hm.. I may not bother with seeing this, then. I just watched Carpenters The Thing and rather liked it. But what I liked most about it was the practical effects. It was truly disturbing. If the new one is all CGI, then that's just not gonna be the same. erm

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Hm.. I may not bother with seeing this, then. I just watched Carpenters The Thing and rather liked it. But what I liked most about it was the practical effects. It was truly disturbing. If the new one is all CGI, then that's just not gonna be the same. erm

I just saw carpenters The Thing and god I thought it sucked.sure am glad i did not pay money for it.I could not believe it was so bad especially since carpenter directed it since I love Halloween so much.hollywood should have never made either one of these 2 mindless new remakes.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mindship
No, he did not do the weird creature scream. However: there was an earring in his right ear before they went in; it was not there when they came out (and I don't recall it being ripped out; neither do I recall the guy checking like it had been ripped off). And when Kate mentioned the missing earring, the guy did check his left ear (which is why she said, wrong ear).

I think the film's intent was for us to initially think he was infected, but then to throw us off when he screamed like a human.
Poorly done, methinks. I did not find the scenario satisfying.

Or maybe it's meant to be ambiguous, like the suspicions we have about Childs at the end of the previous film, when he sits down with Macready. Is it really him, or the Thing? They let you try to figure it out.

jaden101
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

I had the same feeling for this one...I think they called it a prequel to simply try and avoid comparisons to Carpenter's version because they knew it wasn't as suspenseful of well executed. It had a few decent moments though.

The difference for me is they tried to make it all about the "jump" scares where as Carpenter's was about the suspense of not being able to trust any of the people you know and how that played off against each other. This version had that to a much lesser degree.

For me, there was also no point to the scene in the alien ship...That could've been completely left out as it added nothing other than to say "look...we can do a big ship with big engines in CGI"

Gets a 5/10 from me.

Myth
Originally posted by jaden101
I had the same feeling for this one...I think they called it a prequel to simply try and avoid comparisons to Carpenter's version because they knew it wasn't as suspenseful of well executed. It had a few decent moments though.

The difference for me is they tried to make it all about the "jump" scares where as Carpenter's was about the suspense of not being able to trust any of the people you know and how that played off against each other. This version had that to a much lesser degree.

For me, there was also no point to the scene in the alien ship...That could've been completely left out as it added nothing other than to say "look...we can do a big ship with big engines in CGI"

Gets a 5/10 from me.

They also needed a way to explain why there was a giant crater in the 1982 Thing. That scene was necessary to lead into the Kurt Russell movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.