Why Are Analog Cables Damaged If You Insert Them In The Wrong Devices?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FWahMaN
For example, once I inserted a PS2 A/V cable (that has the red and white sound plugs, and the yellow video plug) into the back of my 3.5mm computer speakers. 3.5mm is the type of plug on the end of headphones, and my computer speakers have a 3.5mm hole/port to connect something to it. Obviously only 3.5mm jacks are supposed to go into it, but once I put the white and red RCA jacks of my PS2 A/V cable into the back of my computers, meaning into the 3.5mm ports.

I asked about a month ago what this actually damaged, since something obviously happened as a result of this, since when I connected my PS2 console to my TV after the (dumb) experiment, the sound was pretty terrible, and something like turning the console on/off didn't fix the problem. Most people said it was the cable that got damaged and possibly the speakers, but the PS2 itself could have never been harmed...

My question is why would the cables and/or speakers get damaged in the first place? I just don't see the connection. From what I understand these are analog signals being transferred. It's not like something was fried due to electric power. Just signals are being transferred, and I would like to know how this would permanently damage a cable or an output speaker. Thanks a bunch...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.