Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
Source: Deadline Hollywood
February 9, 2010

In possibly one of the biggest superhero movie shockers since the last one--when was the Spider-Man reboot, three weeks ago?--Deadline Hollywood is now reporting that The Dark Knight and Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan has been assigned the potentially thankless task of being the latest filmmaker assigned by Warner Bros. to try to save the "Superman" franchise, in this case in a mentoring capacity to figure out the best way to proceed.

Director Bryan Singer helmed the last installment Superman Returns three and a half years ago, which grossed $391 million worldwide, but wasn't seen as a hit due to its reported $270 million production budget. (Remember that the studio doesn't get 100% of those theatrical grosses.)

Since then, various names have been mentioned as possible candidates to get Superman back to the screen, most vocally comic book creator Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass), but nothing had been confirmed or definite.

This latest news seems to come out of two recent developments, the restructuring of Warner's relationship with DC Comics into a new company called DC Entertainment, headed by Diane Nelson, and the looming deadline of the estates of Superman creators Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster gaining back the entire copyright for the character in 2013. During a court hearing about the rights to Superman, Warners chairman Alan Horn said that he hoped to make another film for 2012 at the earliest but that no script was currently in development.

Some may remember that before Bryan Singer came on board, various versions of the Man of Steel were floundering in development, including one version starring Nicolas Cage to be directed by Tim Burton based on a screenplay by Kevin Smith. Even J.J. Abrams took a crack at writing a Superman screenplay with both Brett Ratner and McG attached to direct his version at one point.

It's unclear how far Nolan's role as a mentor might stretch and whether he'll just be offering some suggestions on the direction, or will be actively involved in picking the director, writers and casting for the reboot, as it's still very early in what is already being labeled "Superman 3.0."

You can read a lot more about what led to Warner Bros.' decision over at Deadline Hollywood, and we'll keep you posted as things develop.

Knowing how many fans of The Dark Knight there are on SuperHeroHype, need we even ask what you think about Nolan being actively involved in another movie about a DC Comics character?

There still might be hope for Supes and maybe done right this time.

BruceSkywalker
you beat me to it mad mad mad whoever they get Nolan can work his magic with the person

roughrider
Slightly different version of events here -

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/

Chris Nolan as Executive Producer of this is very positive.
Might mean a somewhat more realistic, 'Ultimized' version of Superman?

-Pr-
Originally posted by roughrider
Slightly different version of events here -

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/

Chris Nolan as Executive Producer of this is very positive.
Might mean a somewhat more realistic, 'Ultimized' version of Superman?

tbh, that would be a bad idea, imo.

Omega Vision
I don't think Superman should be "realistic", at least not in the sense that Batman has been made "realistic" in the DK series (which is very, very good).

Superman should be halfway between man and god, like a modern Hercules. I think an interesting concept would be a Superman story that's effectively an adaptation of the Labors of Hercules where some villain (Lex Luthor or possibly even Darkseid) puts him through a gauntlet of some sort that tests his strength, intelligence, and spirit.

The Nuul
Originally posted by -Pr-

I agree 1000%.

Omega Vision
Make him fight a Giant Spider. stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Make him fight a Giant Spider. stick out tongue

John Peters was right. if Superman Returns had a giant spider for him to fight, the movie would have been better.

Omega Vision
John Peters was right. if Superman Returns had a giant spider for him to fight, the movie would have been better.
Superman Returns could have been three hours of Clark Kent proofreading an expose on a Tuna Canning company and it would have been better in my book. stick out tongue

-Pr-
Superman Returns could have been three hours of Clark Kent proofreading an expose on a Tuna Canning company and it would have been better in my book. stick out tongue

probably.

Omega Vision
probably.
And once he's done proofreading he fights a giant spiderThanagarian Snare-Beast.

-Pr-
And once he's done proofreading he fights a giant spiderThanagarian Snare-Beast.

as you do.

honestly, though, i'd love to see someone like Morrison write a Superman movie. Though there probably woulnd't be a lot in the way of physical combat, i doubt i'd care.

Omega Vision
as you do.

honestly, though, i'd love to see someone like Morrison write a Superman movie. Though there probably woulnd't be a lot in the way of physical combat, i doubt i'd care.
It wouldn't be about punching and it would probably involve his extended golden-Superman meta-story that appears time and time again throughout his writing and lots of mind-screw toward the end. I'd watch the shit out of that movie. laughing

-Pr-
It wouldn't be about punching and it would probably involve his extended golden-Superman meta-story that appears time and time again throughout his writing and lots of mind-screw toward the end. I'd watch the shit out of that movie. laughing

while high.

BruceSkywalker

Superman Returns would have been better had it had better "acting" in it

super pr*xy
a realistic movie about an alien disguised as a mild-mannered reporter? what's not realistic about that?

people need to stop asking for a "realistic" superman movie. i agree with Pr.. that would be a bad idea. what would be good for a superman movie is a relevant screenplay, good directing and even better acting. on that note, a lois re-cast please..

Omega Vision
Originally posted by super pr*xy
a realistic movie about an alien disguised as a mild-mannered reporter? what's not realistic about that?

people need to stop asking for a "realistic" superman movie. i agree with Pr.. that would be a bad idea. what would be good for a superman movie is a relevant screenplay, good directing and even better acting. on that note, a lois re-cast please..
Pretty much an across the board recast. While we're on the subject of casting there needs to be hotter women in the next Nolan Bat-film. Maggie Gyllenhaal is about as attractive as a scarecrow with lipstick.

super pr*xy
thank god they killed of that character.

JakeTheBank
Ugh, don't know how I feel about this.

Nolan did a good job with Begins/Dark Knight (yes, good, not the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life). But an "ultimatized, hyper realistic" tone for Superman? He's an alien with powers beyond those of mortal men. Even the world of Batman shouldn't have been so damn "realistic" in cinema.

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Ugh, don't know how I feel about this.

Nolan did a good job with Begins/Dark Knight (yes, good, not the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life). But an "ultimatized, hyper realistic" tone for Superman? He's an alien with powers beyond those of mortal men. Even the world of Batman shouldn't have been so damn "realistic" in cinema.

honestly, i agree. i think he went a bit too far.

JakeTheBank
honestly, i agree. i think he went a bit too far.

The best thing DC can do movie-wise is to expand their vision beyond Superman and Batman and to show them in a shared universe. Granted it would be seen by people as a "rip-off" of what Marvel is doing, but it would work. The simple fact that DC can rival Marvel outside of the actual comic industry with two characters is impressive, and if they spent time to build upon their wide cast of characters (like GL for example), they can only make things better.

That being said, because Nolan wanted to make Gotham City a "real" city and Batman as a "real" hero, that kinda screws up the chance of any shared continuity with other DC characters. I think in an interview he even specifically stated why he wouldn't mention Superman or even acknowledge his existence in his movie universe.

-Pr-
The best thing DC can do movie-wise is to expand their vision beyond Superman and Batman and to show them in a shared universe. Granted it would be seen by people as a "rip-off" of what Marvel is doing, but it would work. The simple fact that DC can rival Marvel outside of the actual comic industry with two characters is impressive, and if they spent time to build upon their wide cast of characters (like GL for example), they can only make things better.

That being said, because Nolan wanted to make Gotham City a "real" city and Batman as a "real" hero, that kinda screws up the chance of any shared continuity with other DC characters. I think in an interview he even specifically stated why he wouldn't mention Superman or even acknowledge his existence in his movie universe.

yeah, i know what you mean.

at least in the GL movie, Clark is slated to make an appearance, so that's something at least...

The Nuul
Sounding like Nolan, Jon and Kennet are in the same bed together. They all want a realistic Alien/God who can flying in space, lift mountains, invulnerable to Earths weapons and more. The those guys fight characters like Loki, Surter and Darkseid. All of these are NOT realistic at all. Bad move for either Supes and Thor and it prob make things worst for Supes that already has a dead movie franchise. Thor may can get lucky still with their new ideas.

super pr*xy
why do they keep hiring these idiots to ruin our childhoods? because whenever i hear "realistic," the fist thing that come tom ind is an alien/god who can fly in space, lift mountains, invulnerable to earth weapons and more. jeez..

and frankly, nolan's vision about realism in his movies wouldn't really matter if the studio wants otherwise. donner anyone?

The Nuul
They should just bring back Donner and let him have his way.

Superman II Expanded International Cut is the best Supes movie ever!

BruceSkywalker
why do they keep hiring these idiots to ruin our childhoods? because whenever i hear "realistic," the fist thing that come tom ind is an alien/god who can fly in space, lift mountains, invulnerable to earth weapons and more. jeez..

and frankly, nolan's vision about realism in his movies wouldn't really matter if the studio wants otherwise. donner anyone?

thats just it though... i don't think nolan will go the "realistic" way as he has done with batman... i think whoever WB actually hires to direct will take what nolan thinks and try to apply it with his own vision and hopefully a good film ensues

roughrider

You're calling Christopher Nolan an idiot?

And before people run to bring back Richard Donner, consider how mediocre his output has been the past twenty years. He could co-produce, but don't put him in the Director's Chair now.

roughrider
And...

The studio doesn't know what they want - they've gone in so many directions over this property. So they're bringing in someone who has shown how to work with their other DC flagpole.

ares834
I just really want Darkseid...

The Nuul
I WANT DS ALSO....stop using Goddamn Lex, or Zod. The are fine as supporting villains.

Omega Vision
Darkseid would be tricky to pull off but if they got the sort of production values that Avatar had then I can see Darkseid not only looking real, but looking frightening. Also Michael Ironside is the only voice for Darkseid, accept no substitutions.

BruceSkywalker
Brainiac, first

Darkseid, second if first film a success

The Nuul
Hank, Metallo and others would be better than Lex and Zod.

roughrider
Stop with the kryptonite angle, too. Give it a rest. Characters like Braniac & Darkseid give him a great fight without resorting to that plot device.

ares834
Agreed. I want to see a slug fest in the next Superman. And if the villian has kryptonite that likely won't happen.

The Nuul
Stop with the kryptonite angle, too. Give it a rest. Characters like Braniac & Darkseid give him a great fight without resorting to that plot device.

Yes...I agree stop with the kryptonite plots, they are done to death.

I hope Nolan will make the right choices. He did well for Batman but I dont think the same style can work with Supes.

Cartesian Doubt
I don't think Superman should be "realistic", at least not in the sense that Batman has been made "realistic" in the DK series (which is very, very good).

Superman should be halfway between man and god, like a modern Hercules. I think an interesting concept would be a Superman story that's effectively an adaptation of the Labors of Hercules where some villain (Lex Luthor or possibly even Darkseid) puts him through a gauntlet of some sort that tests his strength, intelligence, and spirit.

Agreed (This is happening a lot recently wink) - But I still like the idea of a realism makeover. Realism can still be epic. 2001 Space Odyssey, and Blade Runner come to mind.

Cartesian Doubt
Also Michael Ironside is the only voice for Darkseid, accept no substitutions.

He even kind of looks like him.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Agreed (This is happening a lot recently wink) - But I still like the idea of a realism makeover. Realism can still be epic. 2001 Space Odyssey, and Blade Runner come to mind.
Oh I don't think I would mind a "realistic" take on the concept of Superman but you should never call such an interpretation the real Superman. Superman isn't about realism, he's about magic and wonder. If you make such an adaptation don't make it a major Hollywood flick, experiment with it using an Animated Film.

Omega Vision
He even kind of looks like him.
Dan Turpin from FC (when he briefly regained control and started mumbling "In us all"wink looked almost exactly how Ironside would look if he was in a Darkseid costume. laughing out loud

Cartesian Doubt
Oh I don't think I would mind a "realistic" take on the concept of Superman but you should never call such an interpretation the real Superman. Superman isn't about realism, he's about magic and wonder. If you make such an adaptation don't make it a major Hollywood flick, experiment with it using an Animated Film.

When I say realistic I mean pseudo realistic. As u said before I don' want him to be some MEGA invertebrate insectoid with a Exo-skeleton. But I love clever pseudo science explanations for implausibility, such as why he looks so human. ETC. Maybe Kryptonains have merged their bodies with their technology, and can download their consciousness into biological forms. Jor El, wanted Superman to fit in on earth, so he built a body that would look human? Or something a little less exotic and more creative ?

Omega Vision
When I say realistic I mean pseudo realistic. As u said before I don' want him to be some MEGA invertebrate insectoid with a Exo-skeleton. But I love clever pseudo science explanations for implausibility, such as why he looks so human. ETC. Maybe Kryptonains have merged their bodies with their technology, and can download their consciousness into biological forms. Jor El, wanted Superman to fit in on earth, so he built a body that would look human? Or something a little less exotic and more creative ?
Well that explanation sounds a lot like the recent Day the Earth Stood Still remake. I prefer the theory that Kryptonians (and humans too) were both modeled on Morpheus's Oan lover. At least I think that was the thing that Gaiman proposed in Sandman.

Cartesian Doubt
Well that explanation sounds a lot like the recent Day the Earth Stood Still remake. I prefer the theory that Kryptonians (and humans too) were both modeled on Morpheus's Oan lover. At least I think that was the thing that Gaiman proposed in Sandman.

That would work ... Its kind of the Romulain, Vulcan plot device.

P.S. That FILM was so bad, I don't want it brought up in my presence. lol

Omega Vision
That would work ... Its kind of the Romulain, Vulcan plot device.

P.S. That FILM was so bad, I don't want it brought up in my presence. lol
Oh I know. I hated it so much that I dismissed your possible explanation out of association with said horrible remake. laughing out loud

The Nuul
Yeah, CD thats is some horrible shit you just typed, its borderline Bays level.

BruceSkywalker
it is being reported that Chris Nolan's brother Jonah is making his directorial debut with the Superman film also that this could lead to Jonah directing the Justice League film as well..

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEnQJsqnFdBhqw

roughrider
I thought his name was Jonathan Nolan, not Jonah. Unless this is another Nolan brother coming out of the woodwork...

If true, it seems DC is following Marvel's blueprint for bringing together an Avengers movie, for the Justice League.

Omega Vision
I thought his name was Jonathan Nolan, not Jonah. Unless this is another Nolan brother coming out of the woodwork...

If true, it seems DC is following Marvel's blueprint for bringing together an Avengers movie, for the Justice League.
Seems a bit contradictory considering Nolan has hinted that HIS Batman doesn't even share a Universe with guys like Superman.

emoboy13
i think he shoud bc he directed dark night and that was the greatest film of all time besides maby twilight or something

Omega Vision
Originally posted by emoboy13
i think he shoud bc he directed dark night and that was the greatest film of all time besides maby twilight or something
I hope you're joking about the second part and you're just a drunken master of sarcasm.

-Pr-
Seems a bit contradictory considering Nolan has hinted that HIS Batman doesn't even share a Universe with guys like Superman.

plus, iirc, they mentioned a JLA movie as far back as Batman Begins and Superman Returns, which were before talk of the Avengers iirc...

roughrider

The last Superman movie mentioned Gotham City. I think DC wants to knit these properties together on the big screen. Chris Nolan's involvement with Superman seems to indicate he is on side.

-Pr-
The last Superman movie mentioned Gotham City. I think DC wants to knit these properties together on the big screen. Chris Nolan's involvement with Superman seems to indicate he is on side.

Yes, the Superman movie did. You could put Batman in a Superman movie with the style they used, but trying to fit Superman in to Nolan's ultra-realistic world would be a waste of time, tbh...

BruceSkywalker
Chris Nolan speaks

since he talks about both supes and bats, I put the same link in the Batman forum as well

Kazenji
Also read a thing on Superherohype Superman won't be meeting Batman so yeah no Justice League.

Omega Vision
Yes, the Superman movie did. You could put Batman in a Superman movie with the style they used, but trying to fit Superman in to Nolan's ultra-realistic world would be a waste of time, tbh...
Unless you went for an epic 'never directly show his face and always frame his constantly fluttering red cape with a halo of golden light sun-god' approach to Superman's character. Essentially just say "**** you realism" and have Superman appear as a larger than life anomaly that defies (and indeed pisses on) scientific realism. Like maybe even have him at Silver Age levels to really hammer in the contrast between him and Batman but still emphasize Batman's worth by having Batman save his skin at some point.

Bardock42
I think a more realistic less silly endless powered Superman movie could be great.

Also maybe face a real villain, or at least not petty crook luthor.

-Pr-
Unless you went for an epic 'never directly show his face and always frame his constantly fluttering red cape with a halo of golden light sun-god' approach to Superman's character. Essentially just say "**** you realism" and have Superman appear as a larger than life anomaly that defies (and indeed pisses on) scientific realism. Like maybe even have him at Silver Age levels to really hammer in the contrast between him and Batman but still emphasize Batman's worth by having Batman save his skin at some point.

could be.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I think a more realistic less silly endless powered Superman movie could be great.

that would basically be comic superman.

Omega Vision

I think asking for a realistic Superman is a contradiction. Superman isn't about realism IMO, he's about the wonder of imagination, he's about soaring over the clouds with a goofy heroic smile on his face, he's about summoning strength from nowhere and pushing planets even though logically a planet would break with such force exerted on it.

I want a Superman movie in the vein of All Star Superman, a seemingly all powerful guardian angel sent to sheppard humanity and protect it from the harsh reality of the Universe (natural disasters and such) as well as protect it from itself.

An origin story would be fine but I'd prefer a different kind of story, maybe something along the line of 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?', a story that pushes Big Blue to his limits and shows his 'final' adventure, a story which a villain like Darkseid would be perfect for.

JakeTheBank
I think asking for a realistic Superman is a contradiction. Superman isn't about realism IMO, he's about the wonder of imagination, he's about soaring over the clouds with a goofy heroic smile on his face, he's about summoning strength from nowhere and pushing planets even though logically a planet would break with such force exerted on it.

I want a Superman movie in the vein of All Star Superman, a seemingly all powerful guardian angel sent to sheppard humanity and protect it from the harsh reality of the Universe (natural disasters and such) as well as protect it from itself.

An origin story would be fine but I'd prefer a different kind of story, maybe something along the line of 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?', a story that pushes Big Blue to his limits and shows his 'final' adventure, a story which a villain like Darkseid would be perfect for.

QFT.

I think most people are familiar with his origin, so limiting it to the opening credits or something similar is better, imo.

But yeah, as cool as TDK was, the formula with its success doesn't auto-translate into every superhero movie...despite the fact that most writers and producers believe it does. Hell, even Batman stretches "realism" as a character, no matter how grounded he is. Superman pretty much craps on "realism" in comparison. I think the semi-divine angel allegory was made already in Superman Returns (which had a lot of messiah like allusions made to Superman).

Regardless of how they take the film, it needs to have a villain who can physically challenge Superman somewhat. That much is obvious.

Omega Vision
QFT.

I think most people are familiar with his origin, so limiting it to the opening credits or something similar is better, imo.

But yeah, as cool as TDK was, the formula with its success doesn't auto-translate into every superhero movie...despite the fact that most writers and producers believe it does. Hell, even Batman stretches "realism" as a character, no matter how grounded he is. Superman pretty much craps on "realism" in comparison. I think the semi-divine angel allegory was made already in Superman Returns (which had a lot of messiah like allusions made to Superman).

Regardless of how they take the film, it needs to have a villain who can physically challenge Superman somewhat. That much is obvious.
And not Zod either, sorry but beyond his "kneel before Zod!" the guy was boring.

The Nuul
Theres nothing realistic about Supes at all. Its about time that we get a comic book Superman on film.

Allankles
I agree with that sentiment but not everything in the comics translates well in live action film. Take for example costumes, Batman's costume in live action doesn't look anything like it does in the comics, if it did it would look something like the 60's campy Batman costume.

I think a Superman movie going in the right direction will (for instance) make certain changes to the costumes and the alien costumes of Kryptonians in general.

It has to look like something an advanced alien race would wear without looking like an Iron Man costume. The artistic choices aside, a physical threat to Supes is a must.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Allankles
I agree with that sentiment but not everything in the comics translates well in live action film. Take for example costumes, Batman's costume in live action doesn't look anything like it does in the comics, if it did it would look something like the 60's campy Batman costume.

I think a Superman movie going in the right direction will (for instance) make certain changes to the costumes and the alien costumes of Kryptonians in general.

It has to look like something an advanced alien race would wear without looking like an Iron Man costume. The artistic choices aside, a physical threat to Supes is a must.
Something like Superman One Million's costume but with a more conventional S-shield?

kevdude

You really think it would look that bad to compare it to the 60s costume (Batmans)? Glad to see Nolan on Superman though. Maybe we can get someone else other then Lex all the time!

-Pr-

i don't think they really need to make that many changes to a superman costume. they tried in returns and straight up made a mess of it.

Omega Vision
i don't think they really need to make that many changes to a superman costume. they tried in returns and straight up made a mess of it.
With that sorry excuse for an S-Shield?

roughrider

I liked the raised shield. I think DC should actually do that.

For Superman on film, if they want to streamline his appearance for something that looks less comic book like and more futuristic - this is the 21st century - look at the once proposed "Ultimate" look.

http://hallofheroes.free.fr/Images/UltimateDC/superman.jpg

super pr*xy
fanboys would shit bricks of they altered the costume that much. honestly, i didn't have any problems with the returns costume.. yes they changed it, but it was still identifiable.

although i wouldn't mind seeing another super suit..

-Pr-

yep.

For Superman on film, if they want to streamline his appearance for something that looks less comic book like and more futuristic - this is the 21st century - look at the once proposed "Ultimate" look.

dc did and still does do that. pete woods' art on superman almost always has him with a raised shield. its just not tiny.

BruceSkywalker

maybe that will be how Superman Earth One will look

Omega Vision
I think the movie Superman's costume should take some hints from Kal Kent's from DC One Million.

roughrider
yep.

dc did and still does do that. pete woods' art on superman almost always has him with a raised shield. its just not tiny.

I guess the debating still is, removing the red shorts from him or not.
I think it would streamline his look to take them off, or have him wear ones that are blue and match the costume.

Allankles
Something like Superman One Million's costume but with a more conventional S-shield?

Something like that, an update for the big screen.

Allankles

The returns costume had issues with the S shield and they made his briefs smaller which made it worse. Personally if they really wanted to make changes they should have made the red briefs area larger, and make it not look like they're boxers, make it look like just part of a one piece suit with red splashed on.

Allankles
Originally posted by kevdude
You really think it would look that bad to compare it to the 60s costume (Batmans)? Glad to see Nolan on Superman though. Maybe we can get someone else other then Lex all the time!

Batman's costume in the comics (and most other costumes for that matter) lack texture. So making a direct translation into live action will have it looking like nothing more than spandex.

I think Supes costume needs more texture, so far they've made it look like spandex, it should look less like spandex and something like alien fiber (not necesarilly body armor either).

Mr Parker
With Nolan taking over,we should have another great Superman movie in the future. Happy Dance to date,we only have superman one and two to enjoy.what would REALLY be awesome is if he took over the reboot spiderman that they have in the works.He redeemed that pathetic Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise and we finally got a great Batman movie to enjoy thanks to him.Thats why I am sure he will work the same magic with superman.Just wish somehow he could take on spiderman as well.

newark
Batman's costume in the comics (and most other costumes for that matter) lack texture. So making a direct translation into live action will have it looking like nothing more than spandex.

I think Supes costume needs more texture, so far they've made it look like spandex, it should look less like spandex and something like alien fiber (not necesarilly body armor either).

I just hope it doesn't end up like body armor.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Mr Parker
With Nolan taking over,we should have another great Superman movie in the future. Happy Dance to date,we only have superman one and two to enjoy.what would REALLY be awesome is if he took over the reboot spiderman that they have in the works.He redeemed that pathetic Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise and we finally got a great Batman movie to enjoy thanks to him.Thats why I am sure he will work the same magic with superman.Just wish somehow he could take on spiderman as well.

For me at the time, Burtons batman was great and it still is a good watch.
But i seriously think Superman needs to be rebooted like batman was. don't continue on after superman returns just do a complete reboot. and if they want they could still use Brandon Routh as clark and superman.

-Pr-
The returns costume had issues with the S shield and they made his briefs smaller which made it worse. Personally if they really wanted to make changes they should have made the red briefs area larger, and make it not look like they're boxers, make it look like just part of a one piece suit with red splashed on.

i'd be fine with that.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by darthmaul1
For me at the time, Burtons batman was great and it still is a good watch.
But i seriously think Superman needs to be rebooted like batman was. don't continue on after superman returns just do a complete reboot. and if they want they could still use Brandon Routh as clark and superman.

I dont.They should have left a Superman remake alone in the first place.Like I said,Batman Begins was a MUST because to that point,all the other Batman movies made were an insult to the comicbook and his character and the first two were all about the villains with Bats playing just a supporting character role so a reboot for THAT franchise was an absolute must!!!!!!!! Superman one and two were great films though so they should have just left Superman alone.

Prof. Wagstaff
There's nothing wrong with the costume, and the one Christopher Reeve wore in the original film is proof of that. Any kind of alteration that's noticeable is a bad thing.

roughrider
Originally posted by newark
I just hope it doesn't end up like body armor.

It doesn't need to look like that. But there's always been a thing about Clark wearing the outfit under his suit, which we've always suspended belief about. Can they come up with a way to show where that cape plausibly goes?

-Pr-
I dont.They should have left a Superman remake alone in the first place.Like I said,Batman Begins was a MUST because to that point,all the other Batman movies made were an insult to the comicbook and his character and the first two were all about the villains with Bats playing just a supporting character role so a reboot for THAT franchise was an absolute must!!!!!!!! Superman one and two were great films though so they should have just left Superman alone.

facepalm

tmiller2
facepalm

i agree, they should have left it alone.

but now that they made superman returns (rather terribly might i add), they should definitely fix it with a newer one.

i have every confident in Nolan that he'll make this one the best since the first two (dated but classic) ones.

roughrider
I want to see them make a film without resorting to kryptonite, for once. That should mean an adversary that doesn't need it.

Newjak
I think Superman needs a Reboot bad.

Superman Returns just didn't do it for me. I'm sorry but as good as Superman 1 and 2 were they are done with and trying to recapture them with different actors, in a different timeline, with different staff just isn't working. They need to reboot so there are no continuity issues, or junk from the previous films bleeding through.

As for the Costume it just needs texture is all so it doesn't end up looking like body paint.

As for a villain I'm sorry but for the first movie I'm picking Lex Luther since it most likely will be an origin story. I would actually like to leave Darksied out of the movies. At some point in maybe the third movie bringing in Doomsday.

So for me

Superman 1: Origin, defining Superman, showing what he is and what makes him work. Villain: Lex

Superman 2: Whatever you want

Superman 3: Time for Superman to make the Ultimate sacrifice. Completely cut loose show us all why he is Superman because he never quits and is willing to sacrifice himself to save lives. Villain: Doomsday

The Nuul
NO MORE LEX!, Only you want him, the rest of us are sick of him.

Hes should only be a backup villian from now on and DS should be he villian for the next one. Or do a build then DS for this 3rd film.

Newjak
Originally posted by The Nuul
NO MORE LEX!, Only you want him, the rest of us are sick of him.

Hes should only be a backup villian from now on and DS should be he villian for the next one. Or do a build then DS for this 3rd film. Well if you don't do Lex, I don't really want DS especailly for a first movie. Who would you make the first villain?

The Nuul
Metallo should be in it and maybe one other.

Newjak
Originally posted by The Nuul
Metallo should be in it and maybe one other. Metallo isn't bad

darthmaul1
If Noland can do a good job, and reboot the film completely then maybe we can finally see a justice league movie. which will IMO blow the avengers out of the water.

ankur29
is the new movie with routh?

if not too bad , hes a good superman

Eon Blue

I agree with this.

Mr Parker

on THAT note come on Nolan,screw Superman,it already had two great Superman movies.No need to make another one.Screw Superman and redo spiderman since there hasnt been a good one of those films made yet or did justice to the comicbook. Dont think it will change next year with their reboot either the fact that its so soon that cant be good. Batman Begins was wisely done 8 years after they stopped making sequals.

darthmaul1
on THAT note come on Nolan,screw Superman,it already had two great Superman movies.No need to make another one.Screw Superman and redo spiderman since there hasnt been a good one of those films made yet or did justice to the comicbook. Dont think it will change next year with their reboot either the fact that its so soon that cant be good. Batman Begins was wisely done 8 years after they stopped making sequals.
or 13 years after the last good one batman returns.
I guess they feel spiderman needs it after the the last crappy film( they were all pretty bad IMO)
they did the same thing with the hulk and rebooted it after 4 years or so?

Mr Parker
or 13 years after the last good one batman returns.
I guess they feel spiderman needs it after the the last crappy film( they were all pretty bad IMO)
they did the same thing with the hulk and rebooted it after 4 years or so?

yes they Were ALL bad just like ALL the batman movies before Begins were ALL bad. big grin

-Pr-
yes they Were ALL bad just like ALL the batman movies before Begins were ALL bad. big grin

No trolling.

darthmaul1
Just heard on EP Daily that Brandon Routh my be back to play superman in Nolan's film. and that the movie will disregard superman returns!!!!!!!!!!! YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

roughrider
Just heard on EP Daily that Brandon Routh my be back to play superman in Nolan's film. and that the movie will disregard superman returns!!!!!!!!!!! YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good news, if it's true. I just watched Routh in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - he's one of the best villainous evil exes. And he looks in great shape, with a few years adding maturity to his face. He'll look the part even better now.

The Nuul

This better be true, or else someone is going to get hurt real bad!

GGS
They need to move to focus away from Lex Luthor, I know that sounds insane seeing he is THE superman villian but audiences no longer relate to him like we comic fans do, the want to see Superman up against a brick like they did with Zod and his gang back in the day. Put him up against someone big.

No one is going to buy Lex running around in a suit of armor fighting one on one with Supes lol.

darthmaul1
Bring in doomsday

Prep-Man
Russell Crow to play Jor-el? Nice choice. So far the casting has been one of the best in any super hero movie. Looks like they're going all out.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/06/15/russell-crowe-looks-official-for-superman-man-of-steels-jor-el/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.