Favorite Movie Classics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

angelsoutfield
I don't see a classic movie thread here of any lastingness, so I thought I would try to start one for those who love awesome classic movies. There is a great thread over at Movie Vault that has some amazing classics so you guys get an idea of the type of movies I am talking about.

One of my favorites is Lawrence of Arabia, the story is so complex and the acting so spot on, absolutely great film.

TCM is also doing their 31 days of Oscar event this month to celebrate all of the Academy Award nominated films throughout cinema's history. One of the perks of working for a marketing company that is doing some campaigning for turner is that I got a decent sized list around the office of all the films they would be showing this month, so I was able to plan accordingly lol.

What are you guy's favorite film classics?

Here are some of my favorites:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
2001: A space Odyssey
Singin' in the Rain
West Side Story
M
Nosferatu
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More(ok I am a fan of the man with no name trilogy lol)

SnakeEyes
I guess we should have a topic for classic movies.

Personally, I don't really like many classics. I absolutely love film, hence me being a member here, but I have a really tough time getting into a lot of films that were made before the 1970s. I enjoy 2001, although it's a chore to watch. I didn't care for Citizen Kane, which I guess is a sin for a film fanatic, M was pretty good, Casablanca's decent.

I feel like a lot of "classic" films were amazing and remarkable at the time they were created/released but judged by today's standards, they lose a lot. And I think people are afraid to admit it/feel that way.

I also think that foreign classics hold up a lot better. I really like Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru, I think that's a great movie. The 400 Blows was a lot better than many of the others I've seen.

I'm actually watching The Grapes of Wrath right now. I cannot get into it.

angelsoutfield
Well tbh I absolutely love new film. But there just isn't a better done musical in my honest opinion than Singin' in the Rain(Little Shop of Horrors comes close)

Also never have I seen a better Western than The Good the Bad and The Ugly.

Then again, these genres are somewhat of a anachronism when it comes to modern effects driven films. I can also say that my number 1 film of all time the Royal Tenenbaums is a contemporary film.

I think a little exposure to some of the classics can only improve your overall view of film in general Snake Eyes. Try the 31 Days of Oscar and I'll bet you will find some classics that will become your favorites.

Impediment
The Wizard of Oz
Night of the Living Dead
Blazing Saddles
A Night at the Opera
Duck Soup

angelsoutfield
Originally posted by Impediment
Blazing Saddles

I showed this to my wife for the first time last week, she loved it as much as I do. The final scene sums up the movie perfectly.

MildPossession
Well I'm a sinner too. Respect for it, but not something I would watch again.

K.Diddy
beer I like The original House of Wax,but dont really have time for old movies

Mr Parker
not too many people around here that appreciate classics.not surprising,anytime i make a thread of a classic film from ages way back such as the wizard of oz i never get any replys.

angelsoutfield
Well for those here who might enjoy a classic, check out tonight's line up. The marathon is winding down but it's going out with a bang with back to back tonight West Side Story and Rebel without a Cause will be aired.

BruceSkywalker
for me, there are way too many to name

darthmaul1
Originally posted by angelsoutfield
Well tbh I absolutely love new film. But there just isn't a better done musical in my honest opinion than Singin' in the Rain(Little Shop of Horrors comes close)

Also never have I seen a better Western than The Good the Bad and The Ugly.

Then again, these genres are somewhat of a anachronism when it comes to modern effects driven films. I can also say that my number 1 film of all time the Royal Tenenbaums is a contemporary film.

I think a little exposure to some of the classics can only improve your overall view of film in general Snake Eyes. Try the 31 Days of Oscar and I'll bet you will find some classics that will become your favorites.

I liked the good the bad and the ugly, but my fav western would have to be tombstone.

as for the classics they can have different meanings, for me born in 1973 a classic is the godfather, jaws or star wars. but if we are talking about before the 70's, then i would go with
lawrence of arabia
bridge on the river kwai
the great escape

Mr Parker
Originally posted by angelsoutfield
Well for those here who might enjoy a classic, check out tonight's line up. The marathon is winding down but it's going out with a bang with back to back tonight West Side Story and Rebel without a Cause will be aired.

thanks,will have to do that,havent seen those in ages.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I liked the good the bad and the ugly, but my fav western would have to be tombstone.

as for the classics they can have different meanings, for me born in 1973 a classic is the godfather, jaws or star wars. but if we are talking about before the 70's, then i would go with
lawrence of arabia
bridge on the river kwai
the great escape

oh yeah those are all great classics. thumb up thumb up

Impediment
Inherit the Wind with Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, and Gene Kelly.

Total classic.

Mr Parker
yeah thats a great one.another great one that I saw last night was To Kill A Mockingbird on amc so I had to pass up on West Side Story.

Zoom
Citizen Kane
It's A Wonderful Life
The Wizard of Oz
A Night at the Opera
Duck Soup
Brief Encounter
The 39 Steps (Hitchcock Version)

Wanderer11

chetpendergrass
Casablanca and Gone with the Wind are solid classic movies!! No list would be complete without them.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Zoom
Citizen Kane
It's A Wonderful Life
The Wizard of Oz
A Night at the Opera
Duck Soup
Brief Encounter
The 39 Steps (Hitchcock Version)

thats a great list.some other classics that are fun to watch are the eastwood westerns.

xJLxKing
Some Like It Hot. Did any one watch it?
Citizen Kane.
Great General

Mr Parker
have seen citizen kane,havent seen the others you mentioned.

xJLxKing
Some Like it hot is the best movie of it's decade it stars Marilyn Monroe

Mr Parker
oh definetely got to see that one.

Bicnarok
Dunno if movies from 1987 can be considered "classics" but I watched the "Outlaw Josey Wales" with Clint again today, brilliant movie.

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Dunno if movies from 1987 can be considered "classics" but I watched the "Outlaw Josey Wales" with Clint again today, brilliant movie.

It actually came out in 1976. Maybe the copy you watched was released, or had artwork or something done in 86.

reggie383

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
It actually came out in 1976. Maybe the copy you watched was released, or had artwork or something done in 86.

right your are, I probably had a problem processing the numbers due to "just got up" syndrome. big grin

mplo
Oh, boy...West Side Story!! That's my all time favorite movie...hands down! I will probably be writing about this great classic a lot on this forum. Don't be surprised! heh.

I also really liked Lawrence of Arabia, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

mplo
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Some Like it hot is the best movie of it's decade it stars Marilyn Monroe

Some Like It Hot is a good movie, and Marilyn Monroe was wonderful in this film, but I must say that the ending was rather sadistic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.