Did Gamestop Make A Fail?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FWahMaN
Other than hearing that they may possibly sell you an opened game as new, it seems one of Gamestop's items listed on their website is advertised two different ways. The white controller in the first pic is different structurally than the controllers shown in the bottom three pics: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=43229

First pic:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/802180b.jpg

Another pic showing second structure:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lscreen/802180l3.jpg

This time the sides protrude out a bit, most likely a better d-pad (reason I'm getting it in the first place) and doesn't have that hump on the top where the connector is................yet these are somehow the same controllers.....

Then one is not allowed to pick the color/design they want when ordering online. I wonder who will be concerned about color, when he/she has the right type of controller to be pondering over first.

BackFire
What exactly makes you think the D-pad here is better? Looks more or less the same, just probably of lesser quality.

Zack Fair
Gamestop controllers tend to suck.

AsbestosFlaygon
If they make a slimmer model, let me know.

chomperx9
i never use 3rd party controllers. logitech is ok but never ever use madcatz controllers

FWahMaN
1. More well space for the d-pad. The tight well on the 360 is the ONLY reason the d-pad blows in the first place.

2. I guess that's why it's 24 dollars then.

4. Dude, the controller is overall smaller....and barely different at all bulk-wise than the default.

5. That general statement is probably right but to be specific this time, M$ blew hard when they made the 360 controller. No one can argue there's a worse d-pad out there in existence.

Peach
The wired ones that actually resemble the MS controller (as in, look exactly like it but wired) are decent quality. The other ones are cheap and flimsy, though.

If it's such a big deal which style/color you want, why not just...go into a store and buy one?

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by FWahMaN
Other than hearing that they may possibly sell you an opened game as new, it seems one of Gamestop's items listed on their website is advertised two different ways. The white controller in the first pic is different structurally than the controllers shown in the bottom three pics: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=43229

First pic:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/802180b.jpg

Another pic showing second structure:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lscreen/802180l3.jpg

This time the sides protrude out a bit, most likely a better d-pad (reason I'm getting it in the first place) and doesn't have that hump on the top where the connector is................yet these are somehow the same controllers.....

Then one is not allowed to pick the color/design they want when ordering online. I wonder who will be concerned about color, when he/she has the right type of controller to be pondering over first.

There is a difference between "opened" and "used". It's hard for a store to showcase their new games without a case on the wall for people to see, and it would be moronic to have the game in the case. However, there are some store managers who will allow their employees to "check-out" new games, and they would still be sold as new, though I am pretty certain that is against gamestop policy... and every manager I have heard about who has allowed that has ended up fired.

I still vote that you ALWAYS buy the name-brand controller. I have yet to have an off-brand controller that has survived as long as most of my name-brand controllers.

chomperx9
the gamestop wheels for the wii that are $9.99 are the worst. you barely put any presure and they break

Scythe
I have a wave-bird wannabe for my Gamecube made by some company, Pelican I think, it works really well. Has never given me problems and it's old, but yeah, I always buy namebrand.

Zack Fair
I remember buying the original xbox controllers...the damned things broke after 2 weeks of use =\

FWahMaN
Originally posted by Peach
The wired ones that actually resemble the MS controller (as in, look exactly like it but wired) are decent quality. The other ones are cheap and flimsy, though.

If it's such a big deal which style/color you want, why not just...go into a store and buy one? I did; they didn't have the color I wanted at the time I was there. I don't want to go to a store that's far away each time I wonder if they got a color in stock. The moron on the phone should decide to take ten steps to find out if his smaller-than-my-smallass-room store has the controller in a certain color. Keeps complaining there's customers in line but what the arff am I if I'm wanting to buy a product and trying to see if it's there for purchase? erm

Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
There is a difference between "opened" and "used". It's hard for a store to showcase their new games without a case on the wall for people to see, and it would be moronic to have the game in the case. However, there are some store managers who will allow their employees to "check-out" new games, and they would still be sold as new, though I am pretty certain that is against gamestop policy... and every manager I have heard about who has allowed that has ended up fired.

I still vote that you ALWAYS buy the name-brand controller. I have yet to have an off-brand controller that has survived as long as most of my name-brand controllers. You may be the type of person who's o-k buying a game that is opened albeit never used. However if it's not in its original seal and has been touched/exposed, you never know what could've happened to it before you bought it. Also I heard stories of Gamestop employees "trying the game out" (more like just wanting to play it) before selling it as new. This kind of reminds me of Amazon sellers selling items as new when they're blatantly used and just considered/listed as new to attract buyers. That's why I'm honest when I sell my stuff on Amazon or half.com..

Namebrands are usually the way to go, just not this time with the 360 if you're using a motion-sensitive game like a fighting game, and when you can't rely on analogs and have to use a d-pad.

The Zack Fair, I'm surprised but anyway I have to say the Xbox S Controller is the best if not the second (which would then be second to the dualshock) best controller ever tried by me. I would throw the PSP in the tier but I wouldn't count that as a controller...since the entire thing is a handheld system.

Peach
I did; they didn't have the color I wanted at the time I was there. I don't want to go to a store that's far away each time I wonder if they got a color in stock. The moron on the phone should decide to take ten steps to find out if his smaller-than-my-smallass-room store has the controller in a certain color. Keeps complaining there's customers in line but what the arff am I if I'm wanting to buy a product and trying to see if it's there for purchase? erm

They only carry them in certain colors in the stores - white and black for the flimsier ones, and white and blue for the ones that look identical to a 360 controller. Maybe black for the second one, but I've never seen it. If you're looking for something other than that, you're simply not going to find it.

And yeah, the opened game thing is annoying, do you think it's a policy we like either? However, it's simply impossible to have display art for every single thing (they don't even make it for 99% of games), and considering how many empty cases and unlocked accessories get stolen...yeah. Stores would not have any stock at all otherwise.

Personally, I've had the worst luck with defective games when they were still sealed up when I bought them.

FWahMaN
They only carry them in certain colors in the stores - white and black for the flimsier ones, and white and blue for the ones that look identical to a 360 controller. Maybe black for the second one, but I've never seen it. If you're looking for something other than that, you're simply not going to find it.

And yeah, the opened game thing is annoying, do you think it's a policy we like either? However, it's simply impossible to have display art for every single thing (they don't even make it for 99% of games), and considering how many empty cases and unlocked accessories get stolen...yeah. Stores would not have any stock at all otherwise.

Personally, I've had the worst luck with defective games when they were still sealed up when I bought them. ...Why can't they keep the empty cases on shelf for display but keep the games sealed up in the glass or whatever, while having the sealed up games in their own cases? Not enough cases?

Wait what two controllers, I can only think of 3 that are exclusive to Gamestop. The red & black pattern one that is 100% the same in structure as the official, the one with a cross NES-like d-pad, and the one I made this topic about...except Gamestop I guess can't make up their mind as to what I'm talking about looks like, the first pic or the second pic.

WickedDynamite
These are just knockoffs products.

But I do see your point with the D-pad. Some gamers do mod their controllers for FPS and the first thing they go for is the Dpad. I haven't bought a controller since getting my 360. Lasted quite a good while.

That ACDC Chick
at least you didnt do what my sister did and buy a 360 controller from a pawn shop that didnt even work
maybe now shell understand why i hate them places laughing out loud

FWahMaN
Wow nice ASSASSin's Creed avy and siggy (sorry every time I see the word assassin I just gotta stress the ass x2 :laughsmile........but no seriously they're gorgeous.

THANK YOU the person who understands WHY the d-pad on the official is an issue and how the controller I want does have a modded area around it for the d-pad to actually move and register your commands....

Peach
...Why can't they keep the empty cases on shelf for display but keep the games sealed up in the glass or whatever, while having the sealed up games in their own cases? Not enough cases?

Wait what two controllers, I can only think of 3 that are exclusive to Gamestop. The red & black pattern one that is 100% the same in structure as the official, the one with a cross NES-like d-pad, and the one I made this topic about...except Gamestop I guess can't make up their mind as to what I'm talking about looks like, the first pic or the second pic.

...I explained why. It's not possible because there they don't make and send out display art for 99% of games. Only the huge titles they do that for and that's more for promoting it before it comes out than anything else.

The red and black one is an official MS wireless controller, just the coloring is GS-exclusive. There are two GS brand wired controllers; one looks identical to a MS controller and is the better quality of the two GS ones. The other is smaller, the controller itself is pointed instead of rounded, and it's more lightweight (and feels very cheap and flimsy). The first you'll only find in blue or white, the second only in black or white.

FWahMaN
...I explained why. It's not possible because there they don't make and send out display art for 99% of games. Only the huge titles they do that for and that's more for promoting it before it comes out than anything else.

The red and black one is an official MS wireless controller, just the coloring is GS-exclusive. There are two GS brand wired controllers; one looks identical to a MS controller and is the better quality of the two GS ones. The other is smaller, the controller itself is pointed instead of rounded, and it's more lightweight (and feels very cheap and flimsy). The first you'll only find in blue or white, the second only in black or white. I understand...

The one that looks almost like the official controller has two different pictures on the page...and you're not even allowed to choose color so I wonder just who the heck would buy this thing online? You neither know what kind of controller you're going to get, or if you're getting a blue, silver or Call Of Duty-like design on your controller. PHALE. erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.