Something I noticed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
A lot of the droids in Star Wars are designated by a 4 letter code, all of which are capitalized. Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but there aren't all that many (relative to a galaxy) possible combinations of them...given that there's an entire galaxy's worth of droids that you see all of the time in various planets over many thousands of years, wouldn't they have run out of possible combinations a very, very long time ago?

A bit random, just wondering.

Nephthys
You assume that they merely use human letters. There are thousands of races, with potentially hundreds of variations to each, so there could well be trillions of combinations.

Also, Yay! You're back!

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Nephthys
You assume that they merely use human letters. There are thousands of races, with potentially hundreds of variations to each, so there could well be trillions of combinations.

Also, Yay! You're back!

That's actually quite a possiblility, although you never actually see a droid using non-human letters, and even with alien letters they still probably would've ran out of combinations throughout hundreds of thousands of years of galactic history.

Oh, and not really, I don't really come here anymore.

mattatom
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

Oh, and not really, I don't really come here anymore. Originally posted by Nephthys
Yay!

Nephthys
http://themarcsteinershow.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/how-rude.jpg

Survivor19
quote: (post)
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

Oh, and not really, I don't really come here anymore.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Yay!

Successful troll is succesfull

Black bolt z
Also you assume that they were always 4 letter.They could have started with two then three or 5 or six.You hear like mabye 100 droid names in star wars.There are millions more that you don't know the name too that might be much longer.4 is just a number that is long enough to be unique but not too long so as to take to long to say.

Darth_Glentract
I think the actual explanation given one time was that there are many more digits in the serial code, just those four are spoken. Kind of like a first name, last name, thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.