KMC Olympics: The Javelin Toss

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ScreamPaste
We have five registered characters for this event, and the brackets are as follows.

The Javelin toss rules are:
-All characters are the same size, to prevent unfair advantages. This means no giant size for Kratos, for example.
-No special powers. Physical strength and technique are everything here.
-Each javelin used by each character is the exact same.
-Each character gets one toss, with a running start. They have up to 100 meters to start.
-They character /must/ throw the javelin before they cross the distance line, but is not disqualified for running over it. (So Samus can use her speed booster and not worry about having to stop suddenly, for example.)
-Samus' suit is allowed, as it's technicly part of her, and I don't believe she stands a chance without it.

The Scenario
Samus can stop the Speed Booster on a dime, so I don't think that's much of a problem. She does have superhuman strength as, well. However, I don't think she's ever really thrown anything.

ScreamPaste
She's thrown what I think is a space pirate about twenty to thirty feet in the trailer for Metroid: The Other M. That's her best throwqing feat that I know of. The Speed booster will help a lot though. Imagine someone who can throw a space pirate a good distance with one arm running at super-sonic speed and tossing a javelin.

Imho, the one to beat is Yoshi. I can see him taking gold.

In Yoshi's Island for SNES, he fights a giant Bowser, the largest ever seen in gaming. This Bowser is so huge he hogs the horizon from miles away. Yoshi, with an egg can knock him on his ass, by tossing it. no expression

LtKh7e2ESBc

MooCowofJustice
I'm saying Yoshi or Mario. Mario might not have fantastic technique for this, but if he jumped to get some height it might help his throw. And he is pretty strong.

Wei Phoenix
I don't think you're allowed to jump in javelin tossing.

MooCowofJustice
That's not in the rules.

Wei Phoenix
This is quoted from Wiki so take it for what it's worth to you. I don't know how reliable you find them, but I've never seen someone jump while throwing.

The Scenario
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are KMC rules.Reality need not apply.

Then again, how far do you think a javelin travelling at supersonic speeds would go?

ScreamPaste
Significantly farther than a bullet at the same speed. stick out tongue

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
This is quoted from Wiki so take it for what it's worth to you. I don't know how reliable you find them, but I've never seen someone jump while throwing.
He probably meant SC's rules.
Mario's jumping ability qualifies as 'special powers' though.

MooCowofJustice
ScreamPaste, judge this. Can Mario jump or not?

I wouldn't think it's special powers. It's just a jump and he happens to be strong enough to jump that high.

ScreamPaste
Hm.. I'll say no jumping, simply because Samus's could hack. The speed booster has a stop, then jump function that she could abuse to get a perfect 45 degree launch.

I'd also agree Mario's jumping is not a special power, but indeed a physical characteristic.

But yeah, no jumping, for the same reason I disallowed Kratos giant form. stick out tongue unfair height advantages.

MooCowofJustice
K. Then Yoshi wins.

FinalAnswer
I say Kratos.

Cause I can. 'eff Mario.

KingD19
Gold: War
Silver: Yoshi
Bronze: Samus/Alex Mercer

ScreamPaste
Only the top five in italics are competing, D19. stick out tongue

I'm curious what War has over Yoshi, though?

iChaos
I guess I vote for Kratos, motherbitches.

KingD19
Gold: War
Silver: Yoshi
Bronze: Samus

And Paste, I'm giving it to him because the sheer amount of force he put behind his blows was staggering. Plus he was tossing cars 30 stories straight up with no effort.

Although Yoshi knocking that giant Koopa on his ass was awesome, crazy strength/throwing/accuracy feat.

Phanteros
Gold: Kratos/War
silver: Mario
bronze: Link

ScreamPaste
Link isn't competing, Phanteros stick out tongue

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but throwing an egg hard enough to send a giant who's taking up the horizon reeling backward is pretty intense.

Imho:
Gold: Yoshi
Silver: Kratos
Bronze: Samus

KingD19
How'd you put Kratos above War? He doesn't have many strength feats to showcase his abilities.

ScreamPaste
I haven't seen many from War. stick out tongue

Besides, Kratos is Greek.

Sin_Volvagia
I haven't seen much throws from Kratos. The horseman has thrown cars to a pretty good distance.

I give War the win even if Kratos has the greater strength.

BloodRain
Kratos has strength, fair to say has good technique in throwing spears and yeah, he's Greek.

ScreamPaste
As far as I have seen so far, Yoshi has the most impressive feat as far as throws go.

Can anyone contest this?

Ms.Marvel
samus. she is the most amerikanski.

ScreamPaste
Dinosaurs > Amerikanz.

Ms.Marvel
amerikanski> earth

NemeBro
Mario is from Brooklyn.

He is more American than the whore from Zebes.

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Dinosaurs > Amerikanz.

While this is untrue, Yoshi still wins.

Phanteros
Originally posted by KingD19
How'd you put Kratos above War? He doesn't have many strength feats to showcase his abilities. NVM

Phanteros
Where's Gene?

ScreamPaste
Did not receive enough nominations. (3 are needed) to make it to the finals.

KingD19
I think Ulthane would've made a good choice...or Knuckles.

Sin_Volvagia
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
As far as I have seen so far, Yoshi has the most impressive feat as far as throws go.

Can anyone contest this?

Yeah, Kratos can kill Yoshi and use his dead body as a javelin. But that would get him a disqualification.

ScreamPaste
Yoshi could kill Kratos with an egg. 131 But this isn't a fight, it's a competition.

If no one can best Yoshi, I believe he earns the gold, and we can go onto debating silver.

Is this agreed?

wammamram
gold: war
silver:mercer
bronze:kratos

MooCowofJustice
Mercer isn't in this competition. no expression

ScreamPaste
And none of them can compete with Yoshi's incredible manliness. 131

MooCowofJustice
Yeah. That.

wammamram
oh may bad i thought i saw mercer's name. so yoshi takes the silver than embarrasment

The Scenario
Originally posted by NemeBro
Mario is from Brooklyn.

He is more American than the whore from Zebes.

That's not nice! sad

Besides, Samus was born on the Earth colony K-2L. IN SPACE.

Anyway, I still believe a javelin moving faster than sound should go at least a few miles. Samus for silver, maybe.

ScreamPaste
Y'know, Scenario. I may just be able to figure that out with math. But I'll need some time.

The Scenario
I was sort of planning on attempting that, but I'm not a math person and a don't exactly know the mass of the javelin.

ScreamPaste
Alright, this is gonna be some franken math, so bare with me. 9.8 m per s^2 = accelleration due to gravity.

What we need to do to determine the distance of Samus toss is something like the following.

If we assume she launches the javelin at 45 degrees, then half of her speed will be used for vertical travel, and half for horizontal.

So, we'd need to figure out how long the accelleration of gravity takes to bring the javelin's height back down to 0, then determine the average horizontal speed due to wind resistance.

It should easily be a couple miles.

So, let's get cracking. Let's assume the speed booster makes her move at mach 2.

If that's so, her total innitial throw velocity is 680 m/s

Therefore, her vertical innitial velocity is 340 m/s

For the accelleration to gravity to catch up will take more than a couple seconds to totally reverse this. I wish I had a graphing calculator.

I'll just represent it step by step.

I'll return with more on this.

Cyner
1. Samus
2. Yoshi
3. Mario

Also that Bowser was big... but if you haven't finished New Super Mario Bros. Wii, check that out cause that Bowser can definitely compete for biggest one evar.

ScreamPaste
I have finished it. The Bowser in Yoshi's Island can hog up the horizon, though. No other Bowser's done that. =P

Yoshi for #1, he knocked a bowser that size backward, quite a distance backward.

ScreamPaste
Giving Yoshi the gold, who takes silver?

MooCowofJustice
Samus. Speed Boost throw > Mario, sadly.

But the man in red is still cooler.

Maester_yoda
War can throw a car 30+ stories.....

BloodRain
^ Alex can throw a tank that high >.> War should be in the top 3.

Samus takes gold.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.