KMC Olympics: Snowboarding

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ScreamPaste
Snowboarding event, top five in italics may compete.
Snowboarding:
Sonic V
Link IV
Cloud IV
Dante III
Kirby III

Vincent Valentine I
Nero I
Ezio I
Altair I
Mario II
Tidus I
Bayonetta I
Ryu Hayabusa II
Luigi I
Yeto I
Yeta I
Ice Climbers I
SnowBoard Kid I

Rules:
-This event is a competition of balance, and riding skill, as such, speed, size, and weight are equalised to prevent unfair disadvantages. (Such as Kirby's height, and everyone's downhill speed compared to Sonic's.. Which is never explained while he rides a sheet of metal on concrete, and is less than 5' tall.)
-Everyone receives a proper snow board for this, non magical.
-No other equipment or powers are allowed.
-This is a race, but as all have equalised speed, height, and weight, will be determined by skill.
-This is not a poll.

Who takes gold?

MooCowofJustice
Kirby.

And I'm disgusted that this is not an event that would benefit Mario like real snowboarding.

4320 WITH A SHORT NAP! mad

ScreamPaste
Mario only received two nominations, sadly stick out tongue

You know I'm backing Link.

NemeBro
No poll.

BloodRain
Does this include game experience, like how some already have snowboarding skills? Id say either Sonic, Dante or Cloud.

NemeBro
NO ****ING POLL

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
-This is not a poll.

NemeBro
Well.

**** your no poll.

no expression

ScreamPaste
It counts all experience and balance.

Time for a structured argument!

In Twilight Princess, Link knocks a chunk of ice out of a tree with his face, and rides it down an ice mountain, complete with cliffs, monsters, trees, and other crap. He also beats a pair of Yeti with a lot of experience doing this, and a weight, and therefore speed advantage.

He also uses an item called the spinner, which to be blunt, would take asinine levels of balance and control to ride during the battle with stallord. Not to mention the dizziness spinning while travelling at that speed and flying through the air would cause.

MadMel
sonic has faster reactions than the others..and hes done the most boarding out of any of them besides kirby..
id say sonic for gold, kirby for silver, and bronze...i really dont care about bronze stick out tongue

NemeBro
Gold: Sonic
Silver: Kirby
Bronze: Dante or Link

ScreamPaste
Hm. I'd say:
Gold: Link; He's got plenty of showings of crazy good balance, including tight walking on ropes, riding the spinner, and riding a piece of ice down an extremely treacherous and obstacle covered hill. This could be compared to National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. stick out tongue Most people slide all over the place just walking on ice, let alone using it as a board. Also, the spinner battle against the stallord. I really want a spinner, but I know I'd accidentally kill myself.
J-lciW3qhbM ..Really, the entire Arbiter's grounds is one massive feat of crazy boarding and balance skill. So many rail switches and obstacles.

Silver: Sonic, easy. He rips a piece of metal from a plane, and uses gravity to make boarding downhill on concrete viable. The track was considerably less cliff and ice riddled, however, but he can also grind on rails with his feet.

Bronze: I'm stuck between Dante and Kirby. Dante can ride a missile, but Kirby has lots of warp star experience.

iChaos
Gold: Sonic.

Silver: Dante.

Bronze: I don't know.

KingD19
I just realized nobody nominated anybody from any of the SSX games.

ScreamPaste
Lol, KD19, this is true..

Ridley_Prime
Ice Mario FTW. huh

MooCowofJustice
Ice Mario for Hockey. How fast was Sonic going on his metal board? Kirby does go pretty fast on his different stars in Air ride.

MadMel
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Ice Mario for Hockey. indeed

How fast was Sonic going on his metal board? fast enough to move as fast as a snowboarder despite being on a road on not snow erm

Kirby does go pretty fast on his different stars in Air ride. yea but the stars are all hovering, and kirby just gets a normal board in this

ScreamPaste
This is true. It could limit his ability.

MooCowofJustice
The point was not teh speed, the point was to demonstrate skill and experience.

Sin_Volvagia
Dante wins the gold medal using one foot. Fuk Sonic.

ScreamPaste
indeed, refer to the rules up top, guys stick out tongue

Disagreed, steel on concrete > steel on air for riding skill required. But the spinner, and ice on ice + beating an experienced enemy with a speed advantage > all.

wammamram
gold: link or sonic

silver: ezio or kirby

bronze: dante

Sin_Volvagia
indeed, refer to the rules up top, guys stick out tongue

Disagreed, steel on concrete > steel on air for riding skill required. But the spinner, and ice on ice + beating an experienced enemy with a speed advantage > all.

I'm confused

ScreamPaste
The thread is a race, but height, and weight (and therefore speed.)are equalised to reduce the thread to a contest of balance and skill.

To compare their feats of board-skillz.

Sonic rode a shunk of steel across concrete.

Dante rode a missile through air.

Link rode ice, on ice, and beat a larger, faster, more experienced opponent in a downhill race covered in ridiculous obstacles, as well as the entire Arbiter's Grounds dungeon being one giant balance/skill feat with the spinner.

NemeBro
Sonic has shown the most super leet maneuvers of leetness on a board.

MadMel
but sonic's reaction time and agility are the same as usual, no?

ScreamPaste
Yes, these are part of his skill.

MooCowofJustice
My post was a reply to you, Scream.

ScreamPaste
Quiet you. embarrasment

I was saying Kirby's skill could be limitted because his usual experience is on a hovering device, rather than a grounded one.

MadMel
Yes, these are part of his skill.
then imo he wins, as he has the greatest reaction time, balance and agility
if thats the case the next fastest reaction/balance/agility would get silver
imo, this would be either kirby, cloud or dante
and bronze i really couldnt care for stick out tongue

MooCowofJustice
What's the point? He still grinds on things and it's moving really fast. Can't get much better control experience than that.

FinalAnswer
Why has no one mentioned Cloud? Considering he actually has snow boarding experience. 'eff Dante.

MadMel
cuz sonic and kirby have more experience with boards stick out tongue

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by MadMel
cuz sonic and kirby have more experience with boards stick out tongue
And Link has much better skill and balance feats.

FinalAnswer
Nah.

ScreamPaste
I wouldn't say Sonic has more experience, he only has two boarding sections, but they're good ones. Sonic Adventrure, and Sonic Adventure 2.

I'm seeing a lack of Link love in here. Why's he bein' overlooked? :O

MadMel
And Link has much better skill and balance feats.
than sonic or cloud? wink
cuz sonic has better balance feats than link imo stick out tongue
wouldn't say Sonic has more experience, he only has two boarding sections, but they're good ones. Sonic Adventrure, and Sonic Adventure 2.
hes been on a snowboard every single ice level in the series stick out tongue

ScreamPaste
Than both, imho, but definitely better than Cloud.

Have you played Twilight Princess? If you haven't, he puts Sonic's rail grinding and board improvisation to shame, imho.

I stopped playing the games after heroes sucked.

MadMel
no no in the first games
in sonic 3 he rides a snowboard in the ice level
not to mention the sonic rider games, where he gets about as much hoverboard experience as kirby stick out tongue

and yea i have played tp, but those feats don't overrule sonics best balance feat erm

ScreamPaste
I don't remember this, but it's been a long time, I admit.

Elaborate.

MadMel
he can run just as fast backwards and forwards, while reading stick out tongue
also, his max fighting speed is just as fast as max his running speed
those two facts alone prove he has incredible balance..

ScreamPaste
That's awesome and all, but it's less impressive to me than his improvisation of a board from a piece of metal. (That is pretty much the thing that made me nominate him. I thought it was awesome.)

This is more reaction speed than balance, but still is very good.

Imho, though, the arbiter's grounds is superior for a showing of balance and skill.

BloodRain
Sonic has the most showings of being on a board at great speeds. Dante has a good chance as he great balance like surfing a missile and hes a natural at anything you give him.

MadMel
That's awesome and all, but it's less impressive to me than his improvisation of a board from a piece of metal. (That is pretty much the thing that made me nominate him. I thought it was awesome.)

This is more reaction speed than balance, but still is very good.

Imho, though, the arbiter's grounds is superior for a showing of balance and skill.
better reaction speed can determine better balance
since sonic is miles above the rest of the cast in reaction time, he can adjust his center of gravity (damn american spelling mad ) faster

ScreamPaste
I wouldn't say miles, Dante may even match him. The difference here is clear though, as Sonic has made a habit of snow boarding apparently, and also improvised a more impressively difficult to manage board.

That said, I can't imagine Sonic pulling off what Link did with the spinner, or staying on a block of ice. To me, Link's showings are just a little more impressive.

For board improvisation:
Link > Sonic > Dante, imho. The surfing on a missile thing is nifty, but steel on concrete is better.

Handling something slippery like ice though, is almost asinine when going over that kind of track. Beating Yeto and Yeta was also a good showing, they had speed, and experience on him, but he won. This shows a great amount of skill.

The spinner thing needs to be milked some more though. The constant switching and spinning and the speed at which he does these things without ever falling off are in plain defiance of the self-preservation instinct.

Imho, Sonic and Link take top two, though.

MadMel
I wouldn't say miles, Dante may even match him. The difference here is clear though, as Sonic has made a habit of snow boarding apparently, and also improvised a more impressively difficult to manage board. ive never seen dante do anything at mach 3/4 erm

That said, I can't imagine Sonic pulling off what Link did with the spinner, or staying on a block of ice. To me, Link's showings are just a little more impressive. i think he could, actually, given how fast he moves

For board improvisation:
Link > Sonic > Dante, imho. The surfing on a missile thing is nifty, but steel on concrete is better. i cant agree with link > sonic, but > dante i can live with stick out tongue

Handling something slippery like ice though, is almost asinine when going over that kind of track. Beating Yeto and Yeta was also a good showing, they had speed, and experience on him, but he won. This shows a great amount of skill. cant argue that

The spinner thing needs to be milked some more though. The constant switching and spinning and the speed at which he does these things without ever falling off are in plain defiance of the self-preservation instinct. and yet sonic's reaction is still faster..he could quite easily stay on the spinner imo

if it keeps you happy, but if thats the case kirby takes the bronze easily..

BloodRain
Also surfs a few meters on a downed enemy while spinning lol
These three are at the top.

Phanteros
Gold: Sonic

iChaos
So we agree that Sonic wins, yes?

MooCowofJustice
Not even close.

Phanteros
Not even close. Name someone else that can surf concret in this thread, oh wait....

MooCowofJustice
That's cool and all, but if he wasn't moving that fast it isn't so impressive.

MadMel
it moved way too fast for a piece of a metal plane sliding on a concrete surface
not to mention the metal piece he uses later inside a metal chute erm

LLLLLink
Master Sword wielder is a pretty cool guy. Eh can sword fight while snowboarding and doesn't afraid of anything.

Wielding a weapon while snowboarding would take extra balance and concentration, wouldn't you think?

ScreamPaste
I'm stating my opinion there stick out tongueThere's a lot left to debate.

But yeah, reaction times are great, but are seperate from balance.

MadMel
so out of sonic and link, its a question of who is more skillfull, as sonic has shown to have more experience with a board..

link was able to use his sword while riding, and could do some pretty big jumps..he has also shown some skill feats when he was controlling the spinner..
sonic is seen capable of performing impressive acrobatic feats with a board, despite it being metal on concrete, and therefor harder to control than the average snowboard..also both times he used a sheet of metal as a board he had fallen from a massive height, and the fact that he landed without injury is in itself a skill feat..

the problem is, these 2 feats arent comparable, because we cant prove that either character could or couldnt do any better if they swapped..

and even if link is more skillful, does its make up for his lack of experience?

ScreamPaste
It worked on Yeta and Yeto. stick out tongue

It also explains how he got the "board" to move. stick out tongue I'm not trying to downplay Sonic at all. I agree he's a great boarder.

But are his balance and skills on par with someone who can just pick up the spinner and within minutes turn the Arbiter's Grounds into something a Tony Hawk game feels inadequate next to? I'm unsure. We can't /really/ know whether either of them could do the other's feats, but I will say this.

Link got fired out of a cannon in the sky at the ground. He also rode a chunk of ice, already pretty implausible, along a ridiculous track, asinine implausible, the track is made of of ice, this is like in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when they lubricate the flying saucer, now we've hit ridiculous implausible. He can jump and handle this chunk of ice, despite having never snow boarded before, in ways that could be described as "ignorant to learning curves".

Combining these two together, I believe that Link could land a metal board, and ride it downhill on concrete. But I can't prove that.

The situtions are basicly direct oppoisites. Where Sonic's feat has an amount of friction sufficient to bring a speeding car to a full stop, Link's has so little friction it's doubtful a man covered in sand paper could ever hope to manage or even slow himself if he tried.

Now, taking Sonic, and putting him in Link's position. Sonic has done a lot of boarding, usually with either a legit board, or something he tore off of something belonging to someone who could be called a jerk. He managed to stay on the board on these occasions. But, could he handle a block of ice like a snowboard? There's no way to tell, really, because Sonic's had a board in most ice/snow levels since Sonic 3.

NhzwL18q38o What we do have is this, though. Sonic demonstrates some pretty excellent boaridng ability on what appears to be a stock board, and crashes and loses it at the bottom of the hill. Which is really just a way to get to the on foot section of the level, but there's a slide or two there as well. It's nothing concrete, but it's what we have.

IsOnqZgpsks
Here he can smash through some breakable ice without losing his board, could he do that with a chunk of ice for a board? I dunno. no expression

Link: g6HJtSnSHtM Admittedly Link has the advantage of this occuring in a fifth generation game.

On the whole, I'm pulling for Link because the combination of the ice-for-a-board and the spinner put him ahead for me. Also I'm a fanboy.

The spinner though, is a monstrosity of "reckless self endangerment." And I want one. The stallord fight is incredible.

Bouncing back and forth and managing to land it properly is an incredible show.

J-lciW3qhbM

Sin_Volvagia
I wouldn't say miles, Dante may even match him. The difference here is clear though, as Sonic has made a habit of snow boarding apparently, and also improvised a more impressively difficult to manage board.

That said, I can't imagine Sonic pulling off what Link did with the spinner, or staying on a block of ice. To me, Link's showings are just a little more impressive.

For board improvisation:
Link > Sonic > Dante, imho. The surfing on a missile thing is nifty, but steel on concrete is better.

Handling something slippery like ice though, is almost asinine when going over that kind of track. Beating Yeto and Yeta was also a good showing, they had speed, and experience on him, but he won. This shows a great amount of skill.

The spinner thing needs to be milked some more though. The constant switching and spinning and the speed at which he does these things without ever falling off are in plain defiance of the self-preservation instinct.

Dante could do everything any Link has ever done and without much effort.

Sonic>Dante>>>>>>>>>Link

ScreamPaste
Negative.

LLLLLink
I also seem to remember Sonic plowing through cars on that "board".

Link, however, has had been placed into a legit canon race with experienced pros without having any prior experience and was able to claim victory.

Link's adaptation skills are on par with those of MacGyver thumb up

ScreamPaste
I forgot Sonic could rape cars in his boarding section in SA2:B. That was a glorious game, probably the best 3d Sonic. Except for the sections where you're not playing as Sonic or Shadow, **** those parts.

Cyner
I forgot Sonic could rape cars in his boarding section in SA2:B. That was a glorious game, probably the best 3d Sonic. Except for the sections where you're not playing as Sonic or Shadow, **** those parts. This

LLLLLink
I forgot Sonic could rape cars in his boarding section in SA2:B. That was a glorious game, probably the best 3d Sonic. Except for the sections where you're not playing as Sonic or Shadow, **** those parts.

Agreed. That was DEFINITELY the best 3D Sonic.
Chao raising was like crack. thumb up

ScreamPaste
It's very close, imho, but I need to make a decision.

I don't think that Sonic has outdone Link's riding skills. The moment he picks up the spinner, he can switch between the tracks in the boss room which are very far apart flawlessly, and even use it as a weapon to KO an airborne opponent.

I'm awarding Link Gold, and Sonic Silver.

DON'T HIT ME D:

LLLLLink
I hate ghouls.

Sin_Volvagia
It's very close, imho, but I need to make a decision.

I don't think that Sonic has outdone Link's riding skills. The moment he picks up the spinner, he can switch between the tracks in the boss room which are very far apart flawlessly, and even use it as a weapon to KO an airborne opponent.

I'm awarding Link Gold, and Sonic Silver.

DON'T HIT ME D:

http://www.nickel-arcade.com/actionshots/Mr%20Axe%20Man.jpg

Ridley_Prime
thumb up

XanatosForever
RAGE shreds the mountaintop so hard the rest of the contenders get buried alive...no expression

Ridley_Prime
laughing out loud

I still fail to see though how Link winning a snowboarding contest when he's never snowboarded in his life as a VG character is unbiased.

Phanteros
biased competition is biased.

MooCowofJustice
But, he DID snowboard...

ScreamPaste
Link wins one gold and you all scream bias. no expression He did snowboard, and his showing was better than Sonic's.

Ridley_Prime
No it wasn't.

ScreamPaste
KOing an airborne enemy with your board while switching between rails 20 feet apart which your board needs to lock into, all while spinning < riding on concrete? no expression

Edit: Fine, this is the second thread this has come up in. You run the olympics. Try and please everyone. erm It can't be done.

Ridley_Prime
KOing an airborne enemy with your board while switching between rails 20 feet apart which your board needs to lock into, all while spinning < riding on concrete? no expression
Did I say that? Obviously you're selling Sonic short though. stick out tongue

Edit: Fine, this is the second thread this has come up in. You run the olympics. Try and please everyone. erm It can't be done.
Of course not. Did you really think you would get no retaliation with any of the characters you announce the winner? There's always going to be disagreements with such results.

If it was Link getting gold in something like archery, I would understand, but snowboarding? That's a bit biased IMHO.

Also, who actually won the fencing? Link or Raphael?

LLLLLink
Lmao, you knew the "bias" line was gonna get pulled....

ScreamPaste
Still being debated.

Link's not exactly known for it, and it doesn't come up in many debates, but he does some pretty excellent snow-boarding related stuff in TP.

LLLLLink
Link could outrun a Ferrari while riding a mall ride. no expression

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/4029141451_b584a56709.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.