Samus Vs Ysera

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phantom Miria
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9187/torokunsamuschief500.jpg

The battle take place in a forestscape. Samus has been assigned to kill Ysera, who can be found sleeping on top of a large lake. The moment Samus engage in hostile activity, Ysera is in the game.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/d/d4/YseraLegends.jpg

FinalAnswer
Isn't Ysera an etheral being?

Can Samus kill etheral beings?

Phantom Miria
According to Cyner she can.

ScreamPaste
Cyner's a cool guy. Learns about Samus all dai and doesn't afraid of anything.

But yeah, in MP:1 she fights ghosts, for example.

The Scenario
Yeah, Samus gights ghosts, interdimensional entities, and those that phase out of local timespace.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter_Ing

Like these guys, for instance. There are also Chozo Ghosts, Coverns, Phantoon, Phazon Metroids, and Dark Pirate Commandos. All are either capable of becoming intangible or are ghosts.

Maester_yoda
That was a funny pic with Samus

Phantom Miria
I am not sure being a ghost and being a green dragon is the same thing.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1139/38374819.jpg

ScreamPaste
Chozo ghosts were just as incorporeal. stick out tongue

Phantom Miria
If I understood green dragons right, when they go incorporeal, they enter the Emerald Dream and leave their form behind. Kinda like they take their body but leave their state of mind behind or something. Q'Anilia told me about it, but I can not remember exactly how she said it.

ScreamPaste
The way I understand incorporeality, is that 90% of fiction uses the "D&D" brand, which basicly means:

Something is incorporeal by existing on a paralell plane or dimension such as the ethereal realm, ect.

This seems to be the brand WarCraft uses. Basicly, it's in the long run similar to most other forms of incorporeality, and many attacks exist on multiple planes to deal with this. In DnD, for example, most energy, magic or magic weapons also effect incorporeal creatures.

Now, if this is how WarCraft works, Samus shouldn't have too much trouble, because her energy can harm the ethereal Chozo ghosts.

The above is based on limited knowledge. /Disclaimer.

The Scenario
Chozo Ghosts constantly move through walls and, according to their scan data, flit in and out of existance. Now, it may sound odd, but Samus can attack things that periodically do not exist. However, with the X-Ray visor Samus can attack them anytime, presumablly including their periods of non-existance.

She also has the Dark visor, which allows her see and attack those between dimensions, in other dimensions, or phased out of local timespace.

Now, I'm pretty sure Samus can hit Ysera. Can we move on?

Phantom Miria
Need to stop you there. I know little about Samus, but she can not attack a target that does not exist.

It was never strictly argued that she could not hit her. What I will point out though, is that the videos I watched with Samus hitting the ghost, she did not seem to do a lot of damage.

Judging by her blasts, this will end up anything but a one-shot (From Samus. Not sure if Ysera can one-shot her)

Cyner
Originally posted by Phantom Miria
Need to stop you there. I know little about Samus, but she can not attack a target that does not exist.

It was never strictly argued that she could not hit her. What I will point out though, is that the videos I watched with Samus hitting the ghost, she did not seem to do a lot of damage.

Judging by her blasts, this will end up anything but a one-shot (From Samus. Not sure if Ysera can one-shot her)

I call game mechanics on the damage. Especially in the Prime series where it takes one uncharged shot to down a Space Pirate in cutscenes but in gameplay it's three fully charged shots.

Phantom Miria
Space Pirates are not ghosts.

The Scenario
That's still a tremendous difference in firepower. It doesn't really matter what the target was, but the power beam displayed things in cutscenes it hasn't in gameplay. Namely, killing relatively strong enemies in one hit and tossing them far enough to make any old western movie proud.

And just to make a note, Samus can only hit Chozo Ghosts with the power beam or super missiles (the power beam/missile combo.) The plasma, wave, and ice beams pass through. On the other hand, any weapon can hit Hunter Ing, Coverns, and Phantoon. Phazon Metroids can phase through missiles, but any beam can hit them.

It really depends on the game how Samus deals with intangibility.

Q'Anilia
Looking over the little that is written in this thread and the things written in the Samus Vs. Lich King thread, Samus is done for the moment she raise that gun with hostile intention. Ysera's greatest showing is her killing an entire army with a thought. Granted, she was enraged, but details has never been something KMC cared much to take in consideration stick out tongue

NemeBro
Samus was able to kill a being who survived the collapse of a planet sized dimension.

Good firepower feat, know nothing of Ysera so it may not be enough, dunno.

The Scenario
Originally posted by NemeBro
Samus was able to kill a being who survived the collapse of a planet sized dimension.

And repeatedly defeated someone that survived the explosion of a planet and could wreck a mountain easily.

But now I'm curious. How did Ysera destroy that army? I've brought up Gorea before, at least in the Lich King threads. The guy life drained several planets, and according to some lore, possibly soul drained. It took the sacrifice of the remainng species just to seal him. While still sealed, he sent a psychic message from his interdimensional prison and across galaxies to lure someone to unseal him. Samus arrived, unsealed him, and kicked his ass.

She has a history of that kind of thing. The source of phazon corrupting Tallon IV, the Metroid Prime itself, was sealed in the Cypher. Samus unsealed and ass kicked. Emperor Ing, ruler of the Ing Horde ans holding the Light of Aether, sealed in the Sky Temple by the 9 Keys. Guess what happened.

And Samus has killed armies, too. There was the Metroid Genocide as well as constant battles with the Space Pirates.

Q'Anilia
I would use the term "mind rape", because that is commonly what KMCers call it, but it just does not do the magnitude of the move justice.

NemeBro
Charles Xavier>>>>>Ysera. estahuh

Q'Anilia
I'm sure he is smile

The Scenario
Samus has insane levels of willpower. The suit itself takes tremendus concentration and will just to maintain. Samus doesn't will it off of herself, she stops willing it on.

Heck, when Samus was corrupted by phazon (this stuff corrupts planets, BTW) and had 99% of her body converted into the stuff, she stayed sane and kicked ass. Several other named characters succumbed to this (including Ridley), but Samus didn't. She's shown considerable resistance to psychic, dimensional, and magical attack.

By worse than mind rape, do you mean head asploding or what? When I hear the term I tend to think mind control, memory erasing, insanity causing kinds of things.

ArtificialGlory
Attempting to resist Ysera's mind powers results in rather unpleasant physical consequences like melting and your brain exploding.

The Scenario
I'm not convinced Ysera's mind powers will even get past Samus' shield.

Q'Anilia
Why would Samus shield prevent a Goddess of the mind (Not an official title) from piercing it? Ysera casually penetrate minds from a separate dimension. When she enraged, she killed an invading demon army with a single thought, and demons are resistant to everything effecting the mind.

The Scenario
Mostly because if you want to do anything at to Samus, you have to get past the shield. Until that shield runs out of energy, nothing gets through.

For, instance, Samus was unable to recieve a telepathic message until she intercepted it and her suit gave her a transcription in text.

Q'Anilia
Sounds very No-Limit-Fallacious. Ysera break through highly resistant minds in her sleep. Did I mention she utterly destroyed an invading army with a thought, despite the invading army being resistant to anything effecting the mind? Demons actively prove this, at a daily basis.

Just because Samus failed to take in the telepathic message, does not mean she can withstand a full-scale assault by Ysera. You need to do better than blocking telepathy.

The Scenario
There is a wall between Samus' mind and Ysera. The strength of the attack does not matter if the attack cannot reach Samus' mind. That is my point. It's like trying to X-ray a lead box, to give a not-entirely-accurate-but-still-getting-the-point-across simile.

The shield caused the telepathy to miss, basically. In order to recieve it, Samus was forced to "intercept" it before turning it into an understandable form. It is quite likely Samus has mental resistence, but there is a literal shield that prevents things from reaching that far. Psychic attack is based on what happens when it reaches the mind, not getting to the mind in the first place, which is what Samus' defense is based on.

Q'Anilia
Not sure what it is you are not getting: Demons display barriers to mental attacks daily. Ysera destroyed an invading army of demons. "Not having been broken through so far" is not adequate enough an argument to claim Ysera can not touch her.

Just because meager telepathy could not touch her, does not mean an offensive move by Ysera can not. Not that I have yet read any implication that Ysera could not brute-force herself through Samus shield, even should it attempt to block.

ArtificialGlory
That's a bit like saying that if you put a shield in front of you(as opposed to taking the attack head-on), you can withstand any physical attack.

The Scenario
They way you said resistence implied that demons had powerful minds. Many spellcasters and such do I was not aware that they could create barriers to shield their minds. That's it, right? So, did Ysera simply destroy these barriers or bypass them entirely?

Samus' shield only slightly avoids a No-limits-fallacy in the way it works. When I say the shield has not been pierced, I'm not saying the attacks in question bounced off. Far from it. The shield expends energy in order to repel attacks, and can repel any attack- provided there is enough energy to do so. When I say "not been pierced", I mean the nothing has simply ignored the shield and hit Samus without draining the shield first. There are at least 2 instances of something forcing the shield to expend all it's energy and then hitting Samus: getting corrupted by phazon and infected by X. In both cases, the shield's energy hit 0 before anything happened to her.

Whatever Ysera wants to do to Samus mind, she must first do to the shield. It will expend all it's energy fending off the mental attacks if necessary. Ysera will have to force her way through the shield in order to get Samus. You hit it with enough power enough times, it will go down. But by that point, Samus would have lost already.

Q'Anilia
The narrator never specified if it bypassed or broke, but neither speak in favor of Samus. We know that demons have a mental barrier that keep them "safe", something we not only see in the games but we also read in The Last Guardian. Not even Medivh sensed the presence of a demon when it walked through his hallways.

The Scenario
I'm still not really convinced. Assuming it broke the demonic barriers, the attack will still have to break Samus' shield. I don't think Ysera would be able to do enough damage before Samus got some good hits in.

Cub
Ysera doesnt need to break shields. She attack her thoughts and not her body big grin

Q'Anilia
It's not a physical shield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.