Falling Down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K.Diddy
smokin' I seen this movie last night,thought it was fairly good,it's basically an attack on customer service in America,or thats what I got out of it anyway,The only let down for me was the ending,as when the cop and the crazy guy had the standoff on the end of the pier,I knew what was gonna happen before it happened.

smile I do recommend everyone to see it,if they have missed it in the past.

Rogue Jedi
To me, it was more about how the most normal of us can, all of a sudden, after years of taking shit, go apeshit.

jinXed by JaNx
Great movie. I thought the movie was more of a representation of the impact that the system we have created for ourselves have on us. Instead of being more concerned with decency and morales we have become more focused on materialism. If you look at the main character and the police officer they are very much the same. They had similar feelings of disdain and bewilderment on where our society was headed. I believe they were both supposed to represent how each and everyone of us feel. Where as the police officer was offended by how we treat each other he is able to keep his composure and continue living by his morales and values. The main character however represents the rage we feel and was used as the vehicle to do what most us fantasize about doing when near our breaking points.

I think the ending was definitely predictable but i don't think it could have ended any other way. The morale of the story had to be that self-control and perseverance win out. Even though we, as the audience, related to the main character and even though he lost we learn, by seeing how the cop succeeded in life, that it's not all hopeless.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
To me, it was more about how the most normal of us can, all of a sudden, after years of taking shit, go apeshit.

smile Yes,that's the good thing about this movie,it seems everyone got something different out of it

Impediment
Good movie, but, ultimately, uneventful. No superior acting that would make me want to watch it over and over.

The greatest scene, IMO, is the Whammy Burger scene.

I do own the dvd, though.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Impediment
Good movie, but, ultimately, uneventful. No superior acting that would make me want to watch it over and over.

smile Yes,a great scene, I quite like the 80 cent can of soda one as well

Impediment
I prefer the pawn shop nazi over that scene, IMO.

Still, a good scene. The ****er should learn not to **** with people by jacking up prices.

K.Diddy

beer Yes,classic scene,I quite like the 80 cent can of soda one too

Blinky
The Whammy Burger scene takes the cake. Great movie, as everybody knows. Goes to show what happens when an engineer goes ape-shit.

Tired-Hiker
I liked when he just leaves his car in traffic. I've wanted to do that so many times.

Rogue Jedi
I prefer the pawn shop nazi over that scene, IMO.

Still, a good scene. The ****er should learn not to **** with people by jacking up prices. The scene where he pwns the Ese's is classic.

"You forgot the briefcase!!!"

Dreampanther
Classic film - I love the escalation of violence in the movie. Every time somebody antagonises him - he just gets angrier and angrier - sorta like The Hulk!

And they keep on providing him with better and better weapons, too...

I thought the theme was quite worthy, how you cannot keep on answering violence with violence - otherwise, eventually everything spirals out of control.

Wish all these countries that keep on declaring war would learn the same lesson.

BackFire
Yeah, I love this movie. It's hilarious but thoughtful.

The Nuul
Good movie!

Mr Parker
this is the one with Michael Douglas right?

jaden101
Sure is.

Mr Parker
Havent seen it,but will be coming on here to talk about it real soon cause a friend of mine loaned it to me since Im a big fan of Douglass.Didnt want to see it when it first came out cause it didnt look that great from the previews so thought I would wait to see it sometime in the future.well the future is here now.

Alpha Centauri
Solid film.

Worth seeing, I'd say. It does a good job of showing that people who do things that society would label insane are often not so insane.

I like the car scene, too. I love the way it just sums up his: "That's it, no more." mentality. Like, he's just had enough.

-AC

Sadako of Girth
Saw that three times at the Cinema when it came out.
I didnt even see Empire 3 times....

What a great movie that was/still is.

Rogue Jedi
Nazi: We're the same, you and me. We're the same, don't you see?

D-FENS: We are not the same. I'm an American and you're a sick *******.

Nazi: Just what kind of vigilante are you?

D-FENS: I am not a vigilante. I am just trying to get home to my little girl's birthday party and if everyone will just stay out of my way, nobody will get hurt.

haermm

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by K.Diddy
smokin' I seen this movie last night,thought it was fairly good,it's basically an attack on customer service in America,or thats what I got out of it anyway

What the f**k? You thought the film was an attack on American customer service...?

I know there are scenes (pawn shop Nazi, that fast food place) that show him getting upset with his customer service but I would definitely not say that that's what the actual movie is about...

Anyway, it's a decent flick, worth renting or catching on Netflix or something. Easy to relate to if you're overwhelmed or stressed out.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
What the f**k? You thought the film was an attack on American customer service...?

erm That's just what I made of it

Sadako of Girth
Yeah it was that too. It encompassed quite a few issues.

It was another two years 'til Clerks, so that did the job 'til then.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by K.Diddy
erm That's just what I made of it

That's cool. I mean it was in there, I just don't think that was the main theme of the flick as a whole.

Mr Parker
Just saw this movie for the first time.I bought it at a VHS giveaway sale not to long ago since Michael Douglass is one of my favorite actors.I didn't know that Robert Duvall was in this as well.Now I remember why I wasnt so anxious to see this movie back when the trailers were showing it at the theaters.

I remember it looked pretty corny from the previews and sure enough it was.I mean come on,to go all berserk over somebody charging you 85 cents for a coke when you only want it to be 50 cents? Get real.Nobody is going to bust up a store over something like that.Accept for that corny part,the rest of it was interesting and fun to watch.Definetely not one of Douglasse's best films but fun to watch none the less on a weekday afternoon at home.

jaden101
He'd already broken at that point though. It wasn't because of the price that he went crazy...He was already crazy because he'd worked all his life and was made redundant. Wife left him and took their child etc...The traffic jam was the straw that broke the camel's back and the shop is just his 1st reaction to breaking.

I think it is one of Douglas' best films...Wall Street and The Game being the other standouts for me. I didn't like films such as Romancing the Stone, Ghost and the Darkness, War of the Roses, Black Rain etc.

MildPossession
People can flip out over the smallest of things.

Rogue Jedi
You forgot the briefcase!!!

BackFire
Originally posted by jaden101
He'd already broken at that point though. It wasn't because of the price that he went crazy...He was already crazy because he'd worked all his life and was made redundant. Wife left him and took their child etc...The traffic jam was the straw that broke the camel's back and the shop is just his 1st reaction to breaking.

I think it is one of Douglas' best films...Wall Street and The Game being the other standouts for me. I didn't like films such as Romancing the Stone, Ghost and the Darkness, War of the Roses, Black Rain etc.

Completely agree. I think Douglas is amazing in this movie.

It's also got some of the best dark humor you'll find in a mainstream American film.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by jaden101

The BJ scene in War of the Roses was lulz.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.