Tournament Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Badabing
Discuss future tournament ideas, recruit potential teams and discuss any tournament related topics here.

Omega Vision
Has anyone ever done a Superhero Olympics type Tournament before?

Original Smurph
A low level (even street) tourney would be pretty sexy right now, I feel.

I'm not opting to organize one, but if someone did, it'd be really successful...

Starscream M
Originally posted by Original Smurph
A low level (even street) tourney would be pretty sexy right now, I feel.

I'm not opting to organize one, but if someone did, it'd be really successful... has there ever been a street tourney? if so, was it interesting? (im just asking because it seems there aren't alot of powers at the street level)

King Kandy
I was thinking of doing a build-a-character type tourney where you'd spend points on single super powers from different characters.

Omega Vision
Perhaps a martial arts tournament of some kind with street levelers.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by King Kandy
I was thinking of doing a build-a-character type tourney where you'd spend points on single super powers from different characters.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Perhaps a martial arts tournament of some kind with street levelers.

Both of those sound cool. If I had time (which is possible), I'd look into participating.

Omega Vision
If anyone feels like co-hosting said MA tournament I've got lots of free time coming up.

Badabing
Has anyone ever done a Superhero Olympics type Tournament before? Not that I remember. Digi or PR would know.

Originally posted by Starscream M
has there ever been a street tourney? if so, was it interesting? (im just asking because it seems there aren't alot of powers at the street level) Like this?
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t363581.html

I was thinking of doing a build-a-character type tourney where you'd spend points on single super powers from different characters. Like this?
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482510

King Kandy
Something like that.

JakeTheBank
I think the build-a-character tourny could be an interesting thing to look into. You could award more points for creativity over just sheer brokeness and have some real nifty creations.

psycho gundam
i already pitched this to stiltman ftw, but how's about a "lame" character tourney?

lame as in Turner D. Century lame, or that mutant that turns into any flavor icecream.

big grin

sad

Charlotte DeBel
I actually had an idea of "femme fatale" tournament with only female characters being usable. The power cap should have been Engineer (low herald).

In fact, I'm not against martial arts-oriented tournament. The guidelines are:
1. No mixed genre characters\characters whose main canon isn't comics books one.
2. Superpowered characters are allowed, but the cap of physical stats\energy projection is Immortal Iron Fist (w\chi amps and stuff). If someone wants to draft and use say Wonder Woman or Champion, they'll be nerfed to that level.
3. The battle arena is 10*10 metres adamantium cage, the battles are held one-to-one, while the team contains three characters. In round robin\qualification round schedule is announced beforehand, but the characters for every match are chosen randomly from team's roster by tourney host the day before the starting date. That adds the variety.
4. No prep time, the cube is completely bland.
5. Weapons' use is allowed, but no OHK stuff and no weaponry other than character's standart equipment.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
I actually had an idea of "femme fatale" tournament with only female characters being usable. The power cap should have been Engineer (low herald).

In fact, I'm not against martial arts-oriented tournament. The guidelines are:
1. No mixed genre characters\characters whose main canon isn't comics books one.
2. Superpowered characters are allowed, but the cap of physical stats\energy projection is Immortal Iron Fist (w\chi amps and stuff). If someone wants to draft and use say Wonder Woman or Champion, they'll be nerfed to that level.
3. The battle arena is 10*10 metres adamantium cage, the battles are held one-on-one, while the drafted team contains three characters. In round robin\qualification round schedule is announced beforehand, but the characters for every match are chosen randomly from team's roster by tourney host the day before the starting date. That adds the variety, as characters picked from the roster change from match to match. The finals ans semis are three on three and the battle cage is enlarged three times it's regular size for the match.
4. No prep time, the cube is completely bland.
5. Weapons' use is allowed, but no OHK stuff and no weaponry other than character's standart equipment.

Anything to add on those proposed rules?

Charlotte DeBel
The guideline is continued:
6)Wolverine is the killability cap, KO for 1 minute counts as win. No inorganic (rubber, sand, water etc) bodies.
7)Telepathy is allowed for the purposes of in-combat mind reading and (possibly) illusions, all the usages other than that is banned.
8)Flight is allowed (not that it's a big ass advantage inside 10 on 10 cube).
9)Time manipulation is allowed, but only for the purposes of slowing down time to simulate tourney cap speed (which is the one of chi-amped Iron Fist).
10)No OHKO moves other than "finishers" like Leopard Blow attack. OHKO attacks performed using superpowers are banned.
11)Strategic teleporting inside the cage is allowed, but no BFR or self-BFR.

Digi
I actually had an idea of "femme fatale" tournament with only female characters being usable.

Of course you did.

fdog

Starscream M
that's stoopid...female characters suck ass.

Omega Vision
I just had an idea for the Olympic idea I mentioned earlier. The way it would work is that you'd have a pool of Herald characters to choose from with each two man team picking six to eight characters or somewhere around that number without actually knowing their challenges (to make things interesting) beforehand. The goal would be to form a team of rather balanced stats. Once all teams pick their characters the challenges would be revealed to them. Just for examples you'd have things like footraces, shot-put, diving, kick-boxing, deadlift, and maybe even a decathlon (tailored to Herald level characters of course).

Just brainstorming right now.

Starscream M
I think a regular battle tourney is better than olympics...no offense.

olympics would be waaaay to hard to judge.

Galan007
Do enough 'good' female characters (oxymoron, I know) even exist to warrant a multi-team tourney?

sneer

Starscream M
Originally posted by Galan007
Do enough 'good' female characters (oxymoron, I know) even exist to warrant a multi-team tourney?

sneer the answer is no, obviously.

Omega Vision
I think a regular battle tourney is better than olympics...no offense.

olympics would be waaaay to hard to judge.
Oh I know but I'd like to do something deviating from the norm.

Digi
the answer is no, obviously.

I actually already know who I'd pick. But it would be like 3-4 picks out of about 6-7 good ones available at any level for females....there's really not enough to make an interesting tourney. There'd be a random-ass lottery to get the 1-2 best at any level, and everyone else would pretty much be screwed. I'd probably either get my first choice in the draft and roll to the finals or just forfeit my matches.

Original Smurph
Deviation from the norm typically only works if the steps taken are minor.

If it was run competently, I'd actually like to have seen Evangel's tourney style put to proper use.

Omega Vision
Has anyone ever done a prep battle tournament? Like pure prep, more like a chess match than a fight (though a fight could be one dimension of the tournament).

leonidas
i could host a street-level tourney. i'd love to take part in one as well, but prolly about time i hosted one.

i'd do a non-team format (ie you compete on your own), maybe 3 team members. i'll do it if i have 6 individuals are will NOT back out of the tourney. 2 pools of 3. round robin in pools, last place knocked out, 2 plays off against 1 in a x-over semi final then a final match between winners.

who'd be interested?

Original Smurph
When would you host it?

leonidas
as soon as i had 6 individuals who are SERIOUSLY interested.

Original Smurph
I ask cause I'd be SERIOUSLY interested, but I think I'll be internet-less starting May 5th. So unless the tourney was starting ASAP and lasting little over a month...

leonidas
well, talk to all your friends and get them to sign up. i would start it asap. we could draft this week. biggest iussue with tourneys is always time. evangel had it right in that regard.

so, who wants to sign up?

i need 6 for a steet level event. MUST BE SERIOUS!!

1. smurph
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

Digi
Blah. Street. Gimme a few days to mull it over. I've been wanting to enter a tourney, and I'm sure leo would run a good one, but Street is probably my least knowledgable level. I'll need to see if I could come up with enough potentially competitive teams to feel confident about drafts.

By street you mean street though, right? No low metas sneaking in? Because there's a lot of tweeners like Azrael for example, and just street is a surprisingly small draft pool.

Galan007
It just doesn't seem like there is much of a selection in the street-level tiers. Realistically, if one person were fast enough with their drafts and picked up 'good' street levelers the first go-around, it'd likely be pretty easy for them to clean this thing up.

Omega Vision
Perhaps a tourney for all characters between Streetlevel and Low Tier/Low Herald?

Digi
It just doesn't seem like there is much of a selection in the street-level tiers. Realistically, if one person were fast enough with their drafts and picked up 'good' street levelers the first go-around, it'd likely be pretty easy for them to clean this thing up.

Which is why any "street" tourney on the forums to this point has actually been a low meta tourney, give or take a few characters depending on the exact rules. But yeah, it's an issue. The best solution is usually to make a few pertinent bans on "cheap" powers for the level and allow the majority of low metas, but I'm sure there's a variety of ways it could be pulled off.

JakeTheBank
I don't know if I could participate in terms of entering said tourny, but I think I could def devote time to judging if that would help out.

leonidas
hmm, i'd have thought that there was a pretty good pool to draw from. could always just make it 2 characters per team which would only be 12 characters. i KNOW there are 12 solid street guys out there. the second rd would be reverse order of the first, btw.

psycho gundam
It just doesn't seem like there is much of a selection in the street-level tiers. Realistically, if one person were fast enough with their drafts and picked up 'good' street levelers the first go-around, it'd likely be pretty easy for them to clean this thing up. especially since all the best street levelers get their title as the best by beating the other known street levelers.

you pick batman, you automatically have a plethora of scans to draw from that are specific to practically all of the dc martial artists, and conversely picking any of them means you have scans of your guy losing to batman. wink

same goes for captain america i guess

AlmightyKfish
One problem I forsee in a street/low meta tourney is someone like Mr X stomping a huge number of people, due to the fact that reletivly few street levelers have any forms of TP resistance...

leonidas
x would be banned without question.

Original Smurph
So would this be completely without powers then?

leonidas
i'd prefer it that way, however, if everyone WANTS it opened to low meta, i'd be more than fine with that. i'm just offering to host. i'll host whatever level is agreed upon, though the format would be the same as i mentioned.

if 6 people can decide on a level and sign up i'll host. simple as.

AlmightyKfish
I guess it depends on the nature of their powers.

I mean, Batgirl's body reading and Taskmasters photgraphic reflexes might be seen as powers by some (although imo, they're not really powers in the same sense as X), but then those aren't exactly match ending techniques like move reading telepathy...

AlmightyKfish
Has anyone ever done a prep battle tournament? Like pure prep, more like a chess match than a fight (though a fight could be one dimension of the tournament).

That would probably become horrifying to compete in or judge.

I mean, the one tourney I have been in we were given 10 mins of prep, and things still became quite insane even with that small limit.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by leonidas
i'd prefer it that way, however, if everyone WANTS it opened to low meta, i'd be more than fine with that. i'm just offering to host. i'll host whatever level is agreed upon, though the format would be the same as i mentioned.

if 6 people can decide on a level and sign up i'll host. simple as. how bout 1 or 2 street levelers and one iron man level character?

leonidas
only problem with that it that the street guys often become redundant. if i'm hosting, it will be something where all charaters are evenly leveled.

Blair Wind
Amalgam or a team of three? I have a low level meta amalgam I have been toying with the idea of using for a while (no prep needed. Yes. You read that correctly. I said no prep needed). If it does not pan out with the rules here, I am still willing to use it in a battlezone. If anyone is interested PM me. Might not happen for a while, but might as well see if there is someone who wants to do a battlezone (if the tournament does not pan out)

psycho gundam
cocky bastard

-K-M-
I'm hosting a minority tourny, where comic characters can't be from the United States...and possibly Canada shifty

Blair Wind
Originally posted by psycho gundam
cocky bastard

How so? The only reason I said I would not need prep is because the characters have no need for it. That and most seem to define me as someone who uses prep as a crutch. Thus, I've been thinking about several teams for a while that do not need much prep. The one I am thinking about in particular fits the low meta level.

-K-M-
Originally posted by Blair Wind
How so? The only reason I said I would not need prep is because the characters have no need for it. That and most seem to define me as someone who uses prep as a crutch. Thus, I've been thinking about several teams for a while that do not need much prep. The one I am thinking about in particular fits the low meta level.

cocky bastard

illadelph12
Hmm...

I was thinking about an elimination tournament. Each person would draft 4-6 characters (street to low meta) and participate in blind draw matches (you'd know who your opponent was and who they had on their roster, but not which 2 characters they'd be using in the match).

With a loss one of the two characters used in the match would be forfeited to the victor's roster. Participants would be eliminated when their roster was depleted to 1 character .

No prep. No amalgamations. Just run n' gun.

Digi
I like leo's idea of keeping it strictly to street level and making teams smaller. Sort of a minimalist tourney with just 2 to a team, little or no prep, and some punchy-style debate.

Original Smurph
Meh. I'd prefer to open it up to allow for low power levels, but it'd be k either way.

Blair Wind
Meh. I'd prefer to open it up to allow for low power levels, but it'd be k either way.

Seconded. Having some kind of power (even the low level kind), opens up tons more avenues than everyone wanting simply martial artists for the street level.

Original Smurph
To keep things simple and fast, just disallow prep time. To keep things interesting, allow up to, say, Spider-Man level powers.

That'd be my idea anyways.

Digi
If that's what you guys vote for, then cool. But it would no longer be a street tourney in any sense. Sans prep, there probably isn't a street-leveler who should be drafted over many low metas. I agree it opens things up...I just liked the simplicity of street for the sake of something different. In all KMC's tourneys, there's never been a truly street-level tournament.

Galan007
Originally posted by Digi
In all KMC's tourneys, there's never been a truly street-level tournament. There's probably a reason for that. stick out tongue

Original Smurph
Meh. There was a time when Spider-Man was considered "street". At the time it seemed fairly legitimate, it's just by the new narrow definitions that they don't fall under the category.

I'd rather have a tourney where every debate didn't feel exactly the same though, and that's what I'm fearing if it's solely no powers. srug

illadelph12
Spinning Monkey Palm ftw.

Digi
Meh. There was a time when Spider-Man was considered "street". At the time it seemed fairly legitimate, it's just by the new narrow definitions that they don't fall under the category.

I'd rather have a tourney where every debate didn't feel exactly the same though, and that's what I'm fearing if it's solely no powers. srug

I guess I just get a kick out of the idea that every match will be a variation on "no, I punch you harder and faster." I smile when I think of it.

In either scenario, I'd vote to keep it to small teams, little or no prep, no amalgams, etc. Again, I think we've done cosmic omni-busters to death...you would know that better than most. And even the few low meta tourneys ended up being insane either due to amalgams or battle locations, or both. It's fun, yes, but we honestly have no idea what a more subdued tourney would look like, or what kinds of teams/debaters it would favor. I wouldn't mind finding out.

There's probably a reason for that. stick out tongue

'cuz ya'll are scared.

uhuh

psycho gundam
Originally posted by illadelph12
Hmm...

I was thinking about an elimination tournament. Each person would draft 4-6 characters (street to low meta) and participate in blind draw matches (you'd know who your opponent was and who they had on their roster, but not which 2 characters they'd be using in the match).

With a loss one of the two characters used in the match would be forfeited to the victor's roster. Participants would be eliminated when their roster was depleted to 1 character .

No prep. No amalgamations. Just run n' gun. this

catching other people's pokemon sounds great too.

leonidas
all right, low meta it is.

--teams of 3.

--the 3 characters will be subject to my okay--and i'm NOT the forgiving type when it comes to this issue

--competitor will have have the choice of amalgamating his characters or keeping them as individuals or a combo of the 2. this decision CAN be changed from match to match.

--i'm considering a redraft scenario since i think it adds some excitement but not sure if i'll go after each match or after the first rd is finished.

--10secs of prep of RELATIVE PREP--ZERO TOLERANCE

--reverse-order drafting in second rd, first-come, first-serve in rd3

--looking for 6 people seriously interested. i'm going to go ahead and say for the sake of argument that we have the following:

1. smurph
2. bw
3. digi (you KNOW you want to kick ass with parker . . . big grin )
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

3 high quality debators. be great to get 3 more of similar quality.

--format again: 2 pools of three, rd robin format. top 2 advance to x-over semi-final and top 2 to the final.

AlmightyKfish
I would be interested, but it depends when you're planning on doing it, as my A level exams start in May and carry on till mid June, and I need to focus on those for awhile...

Digi
****, am I officially signed on for this?!

Pfft.

fdog

Digi
I just realized I can resurrect a amalgam I conceived back in probably '05

BEHOLD!

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8729/megaballz2.th.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8729/megaballz2.jpg

MEGABALLZ!

...of course, Mega Man probably isn't allowed, and I forget who the 3rd component was...someone who gave him that color scheme. Cue Ball or 8-Ball or some D-list villain sh*t.

Still. Forewarned poozers.

uhuh

Blair Wind
Digi back in a tournament? Awesome smile

illadelph12
Smh...

Charlotte DeBel
I'm in purely for the sake of funsmile

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
I would be interested, but it depends when you're planning on doing it, as my A level exams start in May and carry on till mid June, and I need to focus on those for awhile...

Same with my senior thesis\degree exams (hope I described that graduational shite right in its American analogues). Anyways, I don't care, I compete purely for fun and I'm going to present a bit tweaked to fit in with comics-only format version of the dreaded Beyotch of Fire.

Digi
Guys, tourneys are long things. We'll all have something crop at some point. But as long as it won't keep you away from a computer for literally weeks at a time, it can be dealt with. If you want to enter, enter.

leonidas
Guys, tourneys are long things. We'll all have something crop at some point. But as long as it won't keep you away from a computer for literally weeks at a time, it can be dealt with. If you want to enter, enter.

this. and hopefully the tourney WON'T actually go very long. draft will begin as soon as i get a sixth player.

1. smurph
2. bw
3. digi
4. omega
5. cdb
6. ???

someone step up already! mad

leonidas
and banned characters so far include sabes and jakita wagner (who is really misplaced on that tier thread . . .) i'll also pre-emptively ban ambrose chase, much as i would LOVE to see him used in a tourney . . . sad

Digi
At least give us a day or two notice once you find a 6th please. I'm not gonna do a "ZOMG ZERG!" of the draft thread, but I currently don't even have an idea for a team. That can be remedied very quickly, but a draft in, say, 2 hours would undoubtedly hurt some chances of people who aren't ready to draft.

Also, ban Gideon and similar power sets. Also, what's going to be the ruling on power amplifiers, since I know there's a few low-level muties floating around with such powers?

Original Smurph
Can we get a general list of banned powers?

I too have few team ideas, but I can work on that basically after tomorrow night, unless some fantastic team inspiration comes to me before then while I'm trying to crack this philosphy assignment.

leonidas
general tourney rules will apply. gideon is NOT low meta. no power copying, speed is capped at quicksilver level but that speed advantage does NOT grant any advantage in prep--not even in thinking speed. no time manip, no reality manip. matter manip directly on the opponent. none of that should really be an issue given the level of this thing.

and of course, no loopholes. seriously. my goal was to try and have a tourney where the winner was based more on who debated the best, as opposed to gimmicky characters and/or equipment/tech.

as far as tech limits--think mr terrific's standard gear.

no tp ohk, no mentally controlling opponents. tk is capped at about classic cable level at the very outside.

the standard stuff, pretty much. everyone in this thing should be familiar with the basics. any direct questions, pm me. any character concerns pm me BEFORE you choose them.

and digi--no worries on the draft. you'll have a day or 2. i'm trying to round up some judges as well. any volunteers?

Original Smurph
Classic Quicksilver (Mach 1)?

Modern Quicksilver can run around the world in a few panels...

leonidas
yes, classic QS.

leonidas
to those involved--i could easily run a rd robin with just 5 competitors. 5 solid debators still makes for a good tourney. i could give the sign up til say, sat, then say the draft happens sat night if we don't get a sixth.

i know steam runs out of these if delays crop up. i'd rather go ahead with 5 interested people the hold out for too long just waiting for a sixth.

if you'd all agree to that of course. otherwise, we wait and see if we can grab a 6th. anyone heard from goob? i'd have thought he'd love a chance to whoop some ass with cap . . .

Digi
1. You may want to start PMing potential judges. You can never start too early with that, or have too many.

2. Is Mr. Terrific low meta? I guess it was with prep in exotic battlefields, but I remember I think Blair doing some insane sh*t with him in that tourney delph ran on the other website.

Classic QS is also listed as mid meta on the tiers list. I probably don't have an issue with him at this level, but I wanted to point it out.

3. Also, let's hold out for 6 another day or two at least. Two groups of 3 sounds much more fun for some reason.

4. Lastly, make a thread for this leo. This is pretty much official now, and deserves its own.

Badabing
all right, low meta it is.

--teams of 3.

--the 3 characters will be subject to my okay--and i'm NOT the forgiving type when it comes to this issue

--competitor will have have the choice of amalgamating his characters or keeping them as individuals or a combo of the 2. this decision CAN be changed from match to match.

--i'm considering a redraft scenario since i think it adds some excitement but not sure if i'll go after each match or after the first rd is finished.

--10secs of prep of RELATIVE PREP--ZERO TOLERANCE

--reverse-order drafting in second rd, first-come, first-serve in rd3

--looking for 6 people seriously interested. i'm going to go ahead and say for the sake of argument that we have the following:

1. smurph
2. bw
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

3 high quality debators. be great to get 3 more of similar quality.

--format again: 2 pools of three, rd robin format. top 2 advance to x-over semi-final and top 2 to the final. Very cool. I'm glad this thread panned out.

I guess make your own tourny discussion thread if you want.

JakeTheBank
As far as judges go, I'll volunteer to do some for the tourny. smile

leonidas
be better if you competed . . .

and i'll open a thread for this at some point . . .

psycho gundam
i might compete

Charlotte DeBel
Is duplication banned?

Charlotte DeBel
2. Is Mr. Terrific low meta? I guess it was with prep in exotic battlefields, but I remember I think Blair doing some insane sh*t with him in that tourney delph ran on the other website.
=========
He's purely a prep guy, third smartest person in DCU. He's not even meta level by some standarts, and in case of 10 seconds prep is not that useful at all.

leonidas
i might compete

might??? just sign up already! you know you want to . . .

Digi
Is duplication banned?

I think leo's "no loopholes" clause, combined with the power level, means that duping is definitely banned.

Badabing
i might compete Sign up, you will. duryoda

Enyalus
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
As far as judges go, I'll volunteer to do some for the tourny. smile
Ditto here.

Omega Vision
For a possible future Tourney how does this concept sound?
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t527949.html
Essentially use that framework to create amalgams and debate them.

JakeTheBank
^ The only thing I'd suggest is to make a larger selection of powers to choose from. You're also probably going to have people debating/arguing why one power-set/ability costs less than another when it's obvious that the cheaper one is more "broken", so you'd probably want to be prepared for justifying point costs and the like. Outside of that, it sounds like it should do well if you generate enough interest.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
^ The only thing I'd suggest is to make a larger selection of powers to choose from. You're also probably going to have people debating/arguing why one power-set/ability costs less than another when it's obvious that the cheaper one is more "broken", so you'd probably want to be prepared for justifying point costs and the like. Outside of that, it sounds like it should do well if you generate enough interest.
Of course I'd probably remove certain powers and add in some that I missed as well as do some research to tweak the point systems according to their power scales.

Digi
Tbh, there's too much potential for loopholes with that format. There's some combination of stats that is overpowered compared to others that would be found in a tourney setting.

It's also too hard to debate in such a format without concrete feats. A "telepathy" vs. "willpower" debate, for example, would be impossible and fruitless, but similar debates would doubtless happen.

I'm not opposed to point-based systems, but I really think that particular one wouldn't work, even with some modifications.

Blanket
Tbh, there's too much potential for loopholes with that format. There's some combination of stats that is overpowered compared to others that would be found in a tourney setting. You could give yourself peak human everything, and then give them Mjolnir, and the Speedforce and pretty much have an invincible character...

That tourney would turn into a mess... no offense.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Blanket
You could give yourself peak human everything, and then give them Mjolnir, and the Speedforce and pretty much have an invincible character...

That tourney would turn into a mess... no offense.
Perhaps divide the points into equipment points, skill points, and power points or something like that. That way you can't give your character the OE and the Speed Force at the same time.

Digi
Again, it's far too conceptual to not turn into a mess. How do you have a speed vs. strength debate with no specific feats for either one? Now multiply that conundrum by at least 10 and you'd have your tourney.

I'm not intentionally trying to rain on your idea. New ideas are awesome, even if they don't happen. But I just can't see this one.

The Nuul
Hows this?

There are two sides...

The first side picks a character...so lets say there 4 people and they agreed to picked Thor. The second side picks a character also say like Superman.

The first side is to see who can debut that character the best, the second side is just for volunteering only.

Of course there will be judges.

Starscream M
Originally posted by The Nuul
Hows this?

There are two sides...

The first side picks a character...so lets say there 4 people and they agreed to picked Thor. The second side picks a character also say like Superman.

The first side is to see who can debut that character the best, the second side is just for volunteering only.

Of course there will be judges. I think that's a stoopid idea.

Omega Vision
How about a tourney where you have to create a composite team consisting of one street-leveler, one low meta, and one High Meta-Low Herald?

King Kandy
I don't think that would work, the only logical decision is pretty much to pick a tech guy for the low end.

I'm thinking of a tourney, where some sort of randomization or other factors leads to you getting a team partially different from what you drafted, and someone else getting part of yours etc.

Blair Wind
I don't think that would work, the only logical decision is pretty much to pick a tech guy for the low end.

I'm thinking of a tourney, where some sort of randomization or other factors leads to you getting a team partially different from what you drafted, and someone else getting part of yours etc.

While interesting not everyone has the same access to comics as others. Getting picks you did not want would make everyone unhappy in the end. I wouldn't participate, personally speaking, because I take drafting choices a lot more serious than most.

This happened once before, but I think that partnering between all contestants for one match each is still an interesting idea - random selection as to who gets teamed up for one match and then winners get re-aligned again. Then your partner from the last match can be your enemy in the next match.

Forces you to use team-work and still keep secrets to yourself. Strategy, team-work, hidden tactics, and shrewdness all in one tournament.

Original Smurph
How about a tourney where you have to create a composite team consisting of one street-leveler, one low meta, and one High Meta-Low Herald? I actually really like this idea.

xJLxKing
That's bad. Usually, the street level character and low meta will have little to no impact on the match unless they get prep

Blair Wind
Originally posted by xJLxKing
That's bad. Usually, the street level character and low meta will have little to no impact on the match unless they get prep

A variation could be that you have no access to your high level character until the proverbial ding of the bell, while you get some prep time with your other characters.

Or something.

Bentley
My plan for a tourney was building random situations before hand, randomly select them among fighters and pit them against each other without previous knowledge of the situations. For example, you could have a combat in which powers are automatically off, others in which speed is capped at human reaction, where the weaker you are, the stronger you are etc.

It was a crazy, uneven and pushy idea, but it could lead to funny drafts.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Bentley
My plan for a tourney was building random situations before hand, randomly select them among fighters and pit them against each other without previous knowledge of the situations. For example, you could have a combat in which powers are automatically off, others in which speed is capped at human reaction, where the weaker you are, the stronger you are etc.

It was a crazy, uneven and pushy idea, but it could lead to funny drafts.
I want to do that. I want to make a tourney where people go in completely blind when the date comes. Don't know what team their opponent has, where the battle takes place, or who they'll face.

That means they'll have to debate purely on the merits of their own strategy, and can't prep against the opponents, and it encourages solid rounded choices.

Obviously, the picks would be posted, but you wouldn't know who picked what until you were actually in a match.

Badabing
I want to do that. I want to make a tourney where people go in completely blind when the date comes. Don't know what team their opponent has, where the battle takes place, or who they'll face.

That means they'll have to debate purely on the merits of their own strategy, and can't prep against the opponents, and it encourages solid rounded choices.

Obviously, the picks would be posted, but you wouldn't know who picked what until you were actually in a match. I like the idea.

Scoobless

Obviously, the picks would be posted, but you wouldn't know who picked what until you were actually in a match.

We've done that before once or twice. It involves a ton of PM drafts to the organiser, so whoever runs it needs to have patience and time to spare.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Scoobless
We've done that before once or twice. It involves a ton of PM drafts to the organiser, so whoever runs it needs to have patience and time to spare.
Something similar to that was done in DGs tourney (where drafts were anonymous), but once everything was drafted the amalgams were revealed, and you knew who was facing who. In Leo's tourney, iirc, you didn't know who would face who, but you did know who had what pick. So I don't think there's been anything totally anonymized yet.

Scoobless
Anonymization - You know you want it!

Badabing
Originally posted by Scoobless
Anonymization - You know you want it! Welcome back!

Digi
Yeah, one of the tourneys I hosted featured anonymous drafts. I'd post who was picked, but not who picked them or who else they were paired with. Potentially fun for participants. Awful for the host.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by xJLxKing
That's bad. Usually, the street level character and low meta will have little to no impact on the match unless they get prep Not true at all. I can think of plenty of low metas who would make a high meta or low herald much more formidable with amalgamation.

Besides, I think all the fun would be in finding what low powered tweaks you can give your guy to maximize damage. Like normal tourney amalgams, but less potential for insanity, and closer competition.

Good stuff.

Bentley
Yep, sounds like problems for the host. Maybe sending the initial prep before knowing their opponent would be an addition to the general idea?

Omega Vision
Not true at all. I can think of plenty of low metas who would make a high meta or low herald much more formidable with amalgamation.

Besides, I think all the fun would be in finding what low powered tweaks you can give your guy to maximize damage. Like normal tourney amalgams, but less potential for insanity, and closer competition.

Good stuff.
The way I envision the tourney going is you have a choice between a certain amount of prep time or amalgamation but you can't have both. That way you can't do something crazy like amalgamate Batman with Marvel Ares and Classic Quicksilver and give the resulting amalgamation all of Bruce's standard gear and a half hour's prep time.

Original Smurph
Meh. Prep leads to insanity. I like the idea more of just giving a limited amount of prep, and then allowing for a three character amalgam consisting of one higher tier and two lowers. Maybe even two low metas, rather than one low meta and one street.

-K-M-
Meh. Prep leads to insanity.

thumb up

One of the main reasons I don't enter tournys

Omega Vision
Originally posted by -K-M-
thumb up

One of the main reasons I don't enter tournys
Everyone uses your respect threads, so in a way you do enter them.

Galan007
Everyone uses your respect threads, so in a way you do enter them. People poaching his scans =/= to him entering a tourney.

uhuh

psycho gundam
^ yeah, might as well skip the middle man and say the writers/artists entered also

-K-M-
People poaching his scans =/= to him entering a tourney.

uhuh

So does that mean I'm a winner and or possibly recieve a prize?

Bentley
^ yeah, might as well skip the middle man and say the writers/artists entered also

Don't lowball KM comparing him with writers and artists!

-K-M-
Yeah! I have been known to drawn my own stick figure characters from time to time.

psycho gundam
i want a tournament where i can colony drop someone.
pure Operation: METEOR their ass.

Blair Wind
I want a High Meta level tournament (preferrable amalgam, but doesnt need to be). I have ideas that must be played out.

Digi
Originally posted by Blair Wind
I want a High Meta level tournament (preferrable amalgam, but doesnt need to be). I have ideas that must be played out.

co-signed, though I'd push for partners and non-amalgam. And, um, not the next tourney that happens. I hate entering back-to-back.

embarrasment

Blair Wind
Partners are fun if you get someone who's competent (read: does all the work).

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't mind going partnered and non amalgamed. I just thought of a three man combo I'd like to try out that works either way.

leonidas
high meta would be fun.

JakeTheBank
I'd probably jump into a High Meta tourny provided it was a team kind of thing.

psycho gundam
lets do it up

Digi
I'm still saving my 2-to-a-team Sub-Skyfather tourney for a special occasion.

Everything would be permissible. Time manip., matter manip, speed force, all of it. Auto-shields allowed pre-match but no prep. It would be insane, and awesome, because no one could complain about loopholes.

I'd host that sh*t though. I have no idea what I'd do if I entered. Probably draft The Doctor and get my ass whupped.

King Kandy
I could host the next one, it would probably be no partner high meta amalgams if I did.

Badabing
I'm still saving my 2-to-a-team Sub-Skyfather tourney for a special occasion.

Everything would be permissible. Time manip., matter manip, speed force, all of it. Auto-shields allowed pre-match but no prep. It would be insane, and awesome, because no one could complain about loopholes.

I'd host that sh*t though. I have no idea what I'd do if I entered. Probably draft The Doctor and get my ass whupped. I like that idea.

Digi
I could host the next one, it would probably be no partner high meta amalgams if I did.

Yuck. Make it non-amalgams and/or partners. Too powerful otherwise...it would end up as a Skyfather-esque tourney and would lose the feel of high meta in a hurry with amalgams. Because off the top of my head I can think of 3-characters amalgams that could challenge high heralds, and that's not even with a lot of thought.

Originally posted by Badabing
I like that idea.

Thanks. I'd actually be willing to host it pretty much whenever. But it's always been kind of a niche thing, not something a ton of people have expressed interest in despite being something brand new in terms of power levels.

Digi
Kandy - As an add-on to my above post, you might also consider something like 4 total drafts, and have 2 amalgams of 2 characters. I still feel like you'd have to limit prep to almost nothing if you wanted to keep it below high herald, but it might be a good way to blend your desire for amalgams without getting too outlandish.

King Kandy
High Meta amalgams have never been that bad. I mean, what's the worst that ever came out of that combination... big foot in darth's, and king of hell spawn in delph's. Neither of those I see as being too dangerous, and the second one was really sketchy anyway.

Bentley
Yeah, the lord of hell crown incident should've been banned right away.

Digi
High Meta amalgams have never been that bad. I mean, what's the worst that ever came out of that combination... big foot in darth's, and king of hell spawn in delph's. Neither of those I see as being too dangerous, and the second one was really sketchy anyway.

I had a fair number of judges convinced I had Death's Head II turned into a High herald+. And I lost, so there was even more going on in that tourney. There's also some diabolically easy cheats to herald level like Reed Richards + Warlock (Technarchy). Again, this is before a ton of forethought. Besides the fact that if you take the right 3-4 strengths in particular characters, you have mid-to-high herald without any actual amping through the amalgam. Unless there's all kinds of restrictions placed on characters, herald-busting level is going to be a minimum to compete in such a tourney.

It would be fine either way. I just think amalgams are done to death. And you get the same level of characters without the insane risk I mentioned.

Bentley
Has anyone thought about randomizing partners in a tournament?

Digi
Has anyone thought about randomizing partners in a tournament?

That's one of those things that seems like fun to an observer, but sucks for those competing. It was tried once, if memory serves, where partners were constantly changing. But then the championship had to be 1-on-1, so it had to switch formats mid-tourney in order to fairly determine a winner.

King Kandy
Yeah, the lord of hell crown incident should've been banned right away.
I was really surprised it wasn't. And what I was really surprised about was even though it ultimately was ruled legal, the judges voted against us anyway... I still don't know what's up with that.

Digi
In any case, those aren't the only herald-busters that have happened. The few I named should be enough proof of that, in addition to the ones you mentioned.

Obviously I'd prefer no amalgams, but again it could work either way. I just want you to be aware of it. In an amalgam format, the last 3-4 teams in the tourney will have amalgams capable of going rounds with Surfer or better.

inimalist

prob control?

Enyalus
In any case, those aren't the only herald-busters that have happened. The few I named should be enough proof of that, in addition to the ones you mentioned.
Power Girl + Anyone....lol.

I've always been against Karen being in the High Meta class.

Digi
Originally posted by Enyalus
Power Girl + Anyone....lol.

I've always been against Karen being in the High Meta class.

That's a good point. She isn't at all. Her recent clash with Supergirl should lay to rest any nagging doubts otherwise. I'll be moving her.

However, the tier thread is a rough guideline, not a rigid doctrine. Tourney hosts can and have always used discretion. I would hope she'd be banned from such a tourney regardless of her tier standing.

Bentley
And imagine back when Kang was in high meta, it was a prep bomb waiting to happen. (it went off on Digi big grin )

Digi
And imagine back when Kang was in high meta, it was a prep bomb waiting to happen. (it went off on Digi big grin )

Huh? When? Kang has never been drafted in a tourney to my knowledge, and of course he was only high meta for a very brief time.

Bentley
Huh? When? Kang has never been drafted in a tourney to my knowledge, and of course he was only high meta for a very brief time.

Really? I remember you cited "tourney experience" as one of the reasons to bump Kang to high meta.

And I tried to bump him up for about three months, I should know uhuh

Digi
Really? I remember you cited "tourney experience" as one of the reasons to bump Kang to high meta.

And I tried to bump him up for about three months, I should know uhuh

I've been involved in so many tourneys, that you may just be right and I'm not remembering. But whatever. Either way it's not something that sticks in my mind, and Kang should definitely be where he is at low herald.

batdude123
That's a good point. She isn't at all. Her recent clash with Supergirl should lay to rest any nagging doubts otherwise. I'll be moving her.

And Wonder Woman.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>