Alan Scott vs Hal Jordan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
Discuss.

JakeTheBank
I'd say Alan.

Starscream M
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I'd say Alan. based on?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Starscream M
based on?

The fact he's the most experienced of the two and the fact that, iirc, most of the Oan power rings are consistently shown to have trouble with magic in some way or another. I suppose Hal could try to hurl some wood at him to try exploit Alan's weakness, but Alan's not stupid and would be more than capable of catching on.

Do you think Hal beats Alan?

Starscream M
The fact he's the most experienced of the two and the fact that, iirc, most of the Oan power rings are consistently shown to have trouble with magic in some way or another. I suppose Hal could try to hurl some wood at him to try exploit Alan's weakness, but Alan's not stupid and would be more than capable of catching on.

Do you think Hal beats Alan? Im not very familiar with lantern lore in general, but I always thought Hal was THE top lantern, without question. thats why I asked.

JakeTheBank
Im not very familiar with lantern lore in general, but I always thought Hal was THE top lantern, without question. thats why I asked.

Fair enough as he's often alluded to being "the greatest GL of them all". I think out of the GLC, Hal's implied by DC to be the best, though Kyle has some outrageous feats of his own. But in a fight between Alan and Hal, I'm going to side with old school just about every time.

Digi
Im not very familiar with lantern lore in general, but I always thought Hal was THE top lantern, without question. thats why I asked.

None of them are top, without question. You can talk about most popular or well-known, but the writers seem to enjoy rotating who the "big dog" is. Hal, Kyle, hell you could even make a small case for Guy, Sinestro, or Kilowog. Alan generally isn't a part of GLC books, so he's been exempt from some of the hype, but is considered to be the JSA's planet-busting heavy hitter.

Mindset
I say Alan, so does Digi.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Digi
you could even make a small case for Guy, Sinestro, or Kilowog

Small case for Guy?

UNACCEPTABLE. uhuh

In all seriousness though, Alan does seems to be a step beyond most of the top tier Lanterns of the GLC.

Digi
Originally posted by Mindset
I say Alan, so does Digi.

I do? Generally I just comment in vs. threads much more than I give actual opinions.

but yeah, I do

Small case for Guy?

UNACCEPTABLE. uhuh

In all seriousness though, Alan does seems to be a step beyond most of the top tier Lanterns of the GLC.

Heh.

In terms of versatility feats, Hal and Kyle are actually king, Alan in 3rd, then the rest at a distant 4th/5th/etc. But in a straight-up GL brawl and raw power, yes you could make a case for every major lantern outside of John. Alan has the best resume in that department, imo, but they all have their moments.

SevenShackles
Small case for Guy?

UNACCEPTABLE. uhuh

I agree with this. Alan does seem a step above and beyond the GLC ring slingers.

Prep-Man
Hal created wood bugs like he did last time.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Hal created wood bugs like he did last time.

Now, did he actually create these wooden bugs or did he use existing material around him? I've heard of the instance, but never have seen it on panel myself.

Prep-Man
Now, did he actually create these wooden bugs or did he use existing material around him? I've heard of the instance, but never have seen it on panel myself.

Here is the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/6ab1ffd5.jpg

Judge for yourself and here is the complete respect thread.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4598

JakeTheBank
Well, it looks like the bugs were already there and Hal had nothing to do with summoning them in the first place, tbh.

Prep-Man
Well, Desaad made the respect thread, so ask him.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
I do? Generally I just comment in vs. threads much more than I give actual opinions.

but yeah, I do

Heh.

In terms of versatility feats, Hal and Kyle are actually king, Alan in 3rd, then the rest at a distant 4th/5th/etc. But in a straight-up GL brawl and raw power, yes you could make a case for every major lantern outside of John. Alan has the best resume in that department, imo, but they all have their moments.

what's wrong with john? bar him being john, i mean. he has some decent feats.

Q99

There are multiple 'THE' top lantern. Some say Hal, some say Kyle (and I'm talking *in universe* say this, let's not get into fans). Alan's less often lumped in with the others directly and tends to be left out of lantern rankings, since he's not part of the corps, but he is generally high on the 'one of the most powerful metas on Earth' list.

Lesse, some Alan stuff: Mr. Terrific once said he was worried if the starheart power within Alan blew up, it'd take out the solar system. When Obsidian's darkness enveloped the planet, Alan countered it with a similarly planet-wide light. One time when the Spectre was trapped and the enemy prevented him from waking by planting intelligent life on him, Alan solved the problem by accelerating time for them through their entire evolution unto extinction. In Virtue & Vice he altered a small black hole into a wormhole and transported the JSA through it without being killed to escape Limbo. He also read the mind of an unconscious minion with his ring in the same. So he's got power and versatility.

In short, the highest Lantern tier has three members, Alan, Kyle, Hal (and if you include formers, Sinestro, at least going by recent versions). The next highest has John, Kilowog, and Guy. The next, most of the other named ones, who tend to be big names within the corps. At least that's how I rank it.

JoseMadre
Alan Scott wins this. Defensively Alan can just shield himself and then surround the shield with superheated plasma. Good luck getting the wood through that.

Mindset
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Well, Desaad made the respect thread, so ask him. Well, Desaad is wrong.

Hal didn't create them, he couldn't even affect them with his ring.

namorsubby
I'd go with Alan, not only cause he very well may be the most powerful lantern, but because he's not even really a Green Lantern like the others, and for some reason I like him more because of it. wink

Desaad
Originally posted by Mindset
Well, Desaad is wrong.

Hal didn't create them, he couldn't even affect them with his ring.

Yes, he did create them. The 'not being able to affect them with his ring' was a ruse to cover up the fact that he created them in the first place.

You should actually read the story before you shoot your mouth off.

Desaad

What do you mean "used material around him"? It's possible he used some surrounding plant life or whatever (though that would pre suppose that an ALIEN PLANET had exactly the same type of wood as that of earth) but he still created them.

The story set up was that the Golden Age GL and Flash were going interstellar camping with the Silver Age GL and Flash. Hal's ring had picked out an ideal planet, but Alan Scott's ring jammed Hal's and instead directed them to another. See, Alan didn't really like Hal. He didn't respect him, so he wanted to take him somewhere to test him. When they get there, Alan creates a series of mishaps that Hal and Barry have to get out of using teamwork and ingenuity.

Hal figures out what Alan is doing, what he's done, and the above scene is him getting revenge. He creates the wooden bugs to mess with Alan's weakness. Hal's ring doesn't 'affect' them because he isn't actually trying to affect them...that's WHY you can see Alan wondering in that scan..."Why doesn't your ring work..?"...he's figuring out that Hal has figured HIM out.

So...yeah. Hal created that swarm, and you'd have to have serious, serious mental handicaps not to have been able to suss that out after having read the actual story.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Desaad
Yes, he did create them. The 'not being able to affect them with his ring' was a ruse to cover up the fact that he created them in the first place.

You should actually read the story before you shoot your mouth off.

Who would you say would win the fight?

Mindset

You should actually read the story before you shoot your mouth off. Why would I do that?

namorsubby
How did Hal create wood with his ring? Was he using wooden plantlife from his environment or something, cause I had no idea he could simply conjure up any material he imagines......sounds like a whole new power.

Slaanesh
Hal is the best..always have and always will be..

namorsubby
Originally posted by Slaanesh
Hal is the best..always have and always will be.. You take that back right now!

there's nothin' lilke da old skool.lol

Prep-Man
Originally posted by namorsubby
How did Hal create wood with his ring? Was he using wooden plantlife from his environment or something, cause I had no idea he could simply conjure up any material he imagines......sounds like a whole new power.

Hal can manipulate matter. Has many times.

Slaanesh
You take that back right now!

there's nothin' lilke da old skool.lol

Alan Scoot time has ended long ago..and currently..he's dead..this is the era for Hal..the greatest of them all..

AsbestosFlaygon
the greatest of them all..
That's Sinestro's line!

namorsubby
Alan Scoot time has ended long ago..and currently..he's dead..this is the era for Hal..the greatest of them all.. I see someone's read the latest issue of JSA(well, the issue before that).lol

heroes never stay dead......and when scott comes back, he's kickin Hal's ass.lol

but seriously, if this guy just makes whatever he needs to beat you, than who can beat him?

Slaanesh
but seriously, if this guy just makes whatever he needs to beat you, than who can beat him?

someone who can do everything he can to a greater degree biscuits

xJLxKing
Hal

Desaad

He may have used wood from the environment, he may not have.

But if he created them out of thin air, it would be matter manipulation (air molecules into wood molecules), and that's a power that Hal has very often shown.

JakeTheBank
What do you mean "used material around him"? It's possible he used some surrounding plant life or whatever (though that would pre suppose that an ALIEN PLANET had exactly the same type of wood as that of earth) but he still created them.

The story set up was that the Golden Age GL and Flash were going interstellar camping with the Silver Age GL and Flash. Hal's ring had picked out an ideal planet, but Alan Scott's ring jammed Hal's and instead directed them to another. See, Alan didn't really like Hal. He didn't respect him, so he wanted to take him somewhere to test him. When they get there, Alan creates a series of mishaps that Hal and Barry have to get out of using teamwork and ingenuity.

Hal figures out what Alan is doing, what he's done, and the above scene is him getting revenge. He creates the wooden bugs to mess with Alan's weakness. Hal's ring doesn't 'affect' them because he isn't actually trying to affect them...that's WHY you can see Alan wondering in that scan..."Why doesn't your ring work..?"...he's figuring out that Hal has figured HIM out.

So...yeah. Hal created that swarm, and you'd have to have serious, serious mental handicaps not to have been able to suss that out after having read the actual story.

Well, seeing as how I asked a legitimate question about said instance because I admitted I had yet to read the actual story or see the panel it was shown in, way to get worked about it. thumb up

It would have been better if perhaps a scan was shown revealing that Hal had indeed explicitly made the wooden bugs, but as it was, the scan just shows the wooden bugs attacking the group with next to no mention or even allusion that Hal had done so anyway in the first place.

Desaad
Well, seeing as how I asked a legitimate question about said instance because I admitted I had yet to read the actual story or see the panel it was shown in, way to get worked about it. thumb up

The 'would have to be mentally handicapped' portion of my response wasn't directed at you. You hadn't read it, and were simply asking a question.

It's the others, making definitive statements about what did or did not happen that had that directed at them.

The explanation, though, was directed at you.

I explain the situation. If you don't want to take my word for it, fine, but it is what it is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.