You like the sequels, but not the original

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Can you think of any movies where you dig the sequel, but don't really care for the first movie?

For example, I like Blade II way more than the first Blade, to the point where I don't think I really like Blade all that much.

Moscow
If the Star Wars films count, then I like Empire Strikes Back over A New Hope. ANH was good but paled in comparison to the magintude of ESB

super pr*xy
i'm anticipating ironman 2. hopefully, it lives up to its hype.

also spiderman 2.

Scythe
Originally posted by super pr*xy
i'm anticipating ironman 2. hopefully, it lives up to its hype.

also spiderman 2.

I agree, I'm highly anticipating IM 2 much more than the first. I loved Aliens better than Alien, T2 better than all the rest, and although many, many others will disagree, I loved Transformers 2 much more than the first. Come at me, I have a stick...

MildPossession
I agree with Blade, liked Blade but enjoy the sequel more.

steverules_2
Spiderman 2, aliens, terminator 2, lethal weapon 2, Rocky 2, rambo first blood part II, 2 fast 2 furious...think thats all of them

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Can you think of any movies where you dig the sequel, but don't really care for the first movie?

For example, I like Blade II way more than the first Blade, to the point where I don't think I really like Blade all that much. Whoa.

steverules_2
First Blade was pretty good I thought

Rogue Jedi
Best of the series.

xJLxKing
Lord of The Rings

3>2>1

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Lord of The Rings sucks balls. Agreed.

steverules_2
The salty sour kind

Quincy
Evil Dead Series

steverules_2
I preferred Evil dead 2 over evil dead but evil dead 3 I wasn't so fond of

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I can't understand what a good movie is Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Agreed.

Rogue Jedi
haermm

SnakeEyes
Okay, try not to think of just sequels that are better, but sequels you like to originals you don't.

Better example: I do NOT like Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I DO really like The Wrath of Khan.

One Free Man
It's because wrath of khan is the tiny diamond someone dropped in the massive shithole that is the star trek mythos.

the rescuers down under>>the rescuers.

Mr. Rhythmic
Undisputed 2 (first movie was mediocre, but this direct-to-video sequel was cheated out of being shown on the big screen)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (I didn't care for the first, but this movie was incredible)

Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum (Amazing follow-ups to a poorly started first film)

Superman 2 (the original movie had its moments, but it wasn't anything special, especially when compared to this film)

Toy Story 2 (didn't really enjoy the first, but this is one of Pixar's best)

X2: X-Men United (diamond among coal in the X-Men franchise)

steverules_2
Oh yeah I like Toy story 2 and X2 better than their originals

SnakeEyes
Okay, I still don't think some of you guys get it.

There are plenty of film sequels that people prefer to the originals, but I'm talking good sequels to movies you didn't even like.

Impediment
Evil Dead 2, The Godfather 2, The Empire Strikes Back, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, Superman 2

All of these sequels I liked better than the first films, but that's not a slander to the originals, though.

Darth Martin
Best of the series. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Some people just miss the genius that was Blade II. Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer of everyone having there own opinion. Blade is a good film, but Blade II is significantly better in every way IMO.

Same with The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. The original is good and all, hell, I even called it great when it first came out but ever since The Dark Knight arrived it feels alot lesser. The two aren't even comparable to me.

Aliens and Spiderman 2 answer the thread for me though. Didn't like Alien and Spiderman was average. Spiderman 2, like Blade II, is significantly better than the original(Blade II>Spiderman 2 and Blade>>Spiderman).

Not sure if this counts, but I prefer the first Rob Zombie's Halloween to any of the previous films, including the Carpender 1978 original.

Terminator 2>The Terminator but it isn't a blowout like TDK/BB. That's how I feel with Blade/Blade II. Not a blowout, but the second is clearly superior.

Empire Strikes Back is far better than A New Hope. Of course, I prefer AOTC & ROTS to TPM.

steverules_2
Rocky 3 and 4

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Darth Martin
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Some people just miss the genius that was Blade II. Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer of everyone having there own opinion. Blade is a good film, but Blade II is significantly better in every way IMO.

Same with The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. The original is good and all, hell, I even called it great when it first came out but ever since The Dark Knight arrived it feels alot lesser. The two aren't even comparable to me.

Aliens and Spiderman 2 answer the thread for me though. Didn't like Alien and Spiderman was average. Spiderman 2, like Blade II, is significantly better than the original(Blade II>Spiderman 2 and Blade>>Spiderman).

Not sure if this counts, but I prefer the first Rob Zombie's Halloween to any of the previous films, including the Carpender 1978 original.

Terminator 2>The Terminator but it isn't a blowout like TDK/BB. That's how I feel with Blade/Blade II. Not a blowout, but the second is clearly superior.

Empire Strikes Back is far better than A New Hope. Of course, I prefer AOTC & ROTS to TPM. Genius?

NemeBro
Holy shit you gaiz still do not get the point of this thread?

I did not like Kill Bill at all, I did like the sequel however.

Rogue Jedi
Man.....

Darth Martin
Genius? Would you prefer greatness? The fight scenes, plot, set/art design, special effects(except for the fake looking shots), Snipes, dialogue, etc.

There aren't too many better films of the comic book adaptation or horror/action genres.

H. S. 6
Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, The Dark Knight

I'm sensing a theme.

EDIT: I just re-read the thread title and realized I misunderstood. I enjoyed the first installments of all these movies, but I liked these sequels more.

jaden101
I hated scary movie but I really lik...No wait...I hated all the scary movies.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by jaden101
I hated scary movie but I really lik...No wait...I hated all the scary movies. haermm

Myth
Mad Max series is the only one I can think of where I legitimately did not like the original but like the sequels (well, at least Road Warrior). There are other series where I like the sequel more than the original (Aliens, Terminator, etc), but all of those I do actually like the originals as well.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Myth
Mad Max series is the only one I can think of where I legitimately did not like the original but like the sequels (well, at least Road Warrior). There are other series where I like the sequel more than the original (Aliens, Terminator, etc), but all of those I do actually like the originals as well. thumb up

jinXed by JaNx
To answer the question, no.

But, off topic, Yes, there are times where i prefer sequels to the originals and even prefer remakes to originals. Most sequels are better, when done properly. It's an example of the student becoming the teacher, following in the footsteps of his inspirer. Or the artist being entrusted with more resources and confidence. When the keys to the kingdom are misgiven, we get results like, Robocop 2...,Predator 2 and so on.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
When the keys to the kingdom are misgiven, we get results like, Robocop 2...,Predator 2 and so on.

Those two sequels were actually pretty good just not superior to the first one of course.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
When the keys to the kingdom are misgiven, we get results like, Robocop 2...,Predator 2 and so on. Not yet seen any of the RoboCop sequels but Predator 2 was good. I don't think the first is that much better, if at all.

Kazenji
If your going to watch the Robocop sequels only watch the Robocop 2 number 3 is shit.

Mr Parker
Okay, try not to think of just sequels that are better, but sequels you like to originals you don't.

Better example: I do NOT like Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I DO really like The Wrath of Khan.

Thats a very good example,hopefully people will catch on now.
Yeah I also did not like Star Trek The Motion Picture but I do like Wrath Of Khan.
Other movies out there that I did not like the first film but did like the sequal have already been mentioned as well that being
Lethal Weapon Two and
Spider-Man two.

One Free Man

Same with The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. The original is good and all, hell, I even called it great when it first came out but ever since The Dark Knight arrived it feels alot lesser. The two aren't even comparable to me. really? I thought tdk ran too long and had too many climaxes, focused on the joker and sort of butchered him a bit.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by One Free Man
really? I thought tdk ran too long and had too many climaxes, focused on the joker and sort of butchered him a bit.

the only thing I agree about that is that they did kinda butcher the joker with his bad makeup and stupid hair.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I did not like the first film but did like the sequal have already been mentioned as well that being Lethal Weapon Two

You like the sequel better? I haven't seen any of them all the way through but most claim the original Lethal Weapon is an action classic and THE definitive "cop buddy" film. It's on my "most wanted dvds" list.

Mr. Rhythmic

There are plenty of film sequels that people prefer to the originals, but I'm talking good sequels to movies you didn't even like.

Which is what I did.

One Free Man
the only thing I agree about that is that they did kinda butcher the joker with his bad makeup and stupid hair. the problem was it felt like three consecutive miniseries episodes played back to back. movies shouldnt be that way. It's like having sex too soon after you've blown your load. you try and try but you feel almost nothing, and come up dry.

Darth Martin
Your comparing The Dark Knight to a mini-series?

Alpha Centauri
the only thing I agree about that is that they did kinda butcher the joker with his bad makeup and stupid hair.

Besides basing him on what fans and professional critics have called "The definitive Joker story.", and nailing it, they totally butchered him.

Some people.

-AC

Ultraviolence
I honestly would have liked a more comic-like Joker than this cater-to-the-majority-lick-his-chops-a-thousand-times less sinister version of the Joker. This simply wasn't the Joker I was expecting but I knew I wasn't going to get the Joker I was expecting.

Darth Martin
Agreed. While Ledger's take on the character wasn't exactly what I would have envisioned or done myself if I had say it was very interesting and he did a wonderful job in the role.

He was the best thing in a film that was filled with great happenings.

All incranations of the character are different from the comics, Hamill, Nicholson, Romero, and so on. I think The Dark Knight nailed the viciousness of the character. But, they did fail IMO to establish the look and humor I would have desired in a Joker character.

Most say Keaton played a great Batman, but a poor Bruce Wayne. Same goes for Ledger here. But he purposely took a different angle on the character that we hadn't seen before.

Bottom line. It wasn't perfect, but it was amazing onscreen and Ledger played a wonderful part.

Ultraviolence
Sometimes I wonder if people would have the same enthusiasm for his role if he wasn't deceased.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ultraviolence
Sometimes I wonder if people would have the same enthusiasm for his role if he wasn't deceased. Doubtful.

Myth
I honestly would have liked a more comic-like Joker than this cater-to-the-majority-lick-his-chops-a-thousand-times less sinister version of the Joker.

Wait, so making him more comic like would have made him more sinister?

Ultraviolence
Wait, so making him more comic like would have made him more sinister?

Yes.

Blinky
Sometimes I wonder if people would have the same enthusiasm for his role if he wasn't deceased.

They probably wouldn't. Glad to see I wasn't one who thought very little of Ledger's performance.

really? I thought tdk ran too long and had too many climaxes, focused on the joker and sort of butchered him a bit.

TDK went for a superhero epic staus, and failed bad.

Nephthys
Case in point: Ledger was scarier and more sinister than Nickolson (sp?). So I disagree with you. Also, I seriously laughed out loud at Ledgers Joker, its just that his humour was more subtle and smarter than a wacky lunatic in make-up.

Ultraviolence
How is that even slightly disagreeing with me? I said that I wanted a more comic-like Joker and you mentioned how scarier Ledger was to Nicholson's Joker.

How is that relevant to anything I've mentioned?

Myth
He was saying that Nicholson's Joker is more comic like and yet is less scary than Ledger's.

Ultraviolence
Yes, on top of saying that he disagreed with me, which is a little impossible considering I never said anything about Nicholson's Joker.

Bardock42
I really liked Ledger's portrayal of the joker, it captured a lot I like about the character in the comics. I don't think TDK was so much better than Batman Begins though, both were very good imo.

WickedDynamite
Short Circuit 2
Transporter 2
Police Academy 2
Creepshow 2
Ghoulies 2

Alpha Centauri
That's too easy of a get-out clause, though: "People wouldn't be saying it if he died.".

Why? Daniel Day-Lewis was praised as giving one of the best performances since Orson Welles in Citizen Kane for There Will Be Blood. Yet, if he died and got the same praise, people would say the same thing.

It's very likely that his death garnered acclaim, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a revelation in that role, because he was.

Also, I think what Ultra means by "comic-like" is comic book, not comic as in comical. To that I ask what would you have done? That Joker is so much like the one in The Killing Joke that it's uncanny. Considering that T.K.J. is considered to be the Joker's definitive story, what would you have done to make him MORE comic-like?

I don't think The Dark Knight was light years ahead of Batman Begins, but to suggest there's a better crafted superhero movie out there is ridiculous to me personally. Batman isn't a fly around, big explosions, C.G.I. style hero, you have to realise that. If the reason you think it isn't a good superhero movie is because it doesn't have half the glisten of Iron Man, then you need to learn to appreciate them for what they are and are not.

Iron Man has all the glamour, glitz and madly enjoyable/exciting action set-pieces, but it doesn't have Gary Oldman as Gordon or Ledger as Joker.

-AC

Lord Shadow Z
I honestly would have liked a more comic-like Joker than this cater-to-the-majority-lick-his-chops-a-thousand-times less sinister version of the Joker. This simply wasn't the Joker I was expecting but I knew I wasn't going to get the Joker I was expecting.

Unfortunately that's the way characters are being re-imagined right now, take James Bond, Freddy Kreuger, The Joker and Robin Hood. All of them are having the fun squeezed out of them in the name of 'seriousness' and 'realism'.

Anyway, on topic I'll say Aliens fits for me for I can never really remember the first.

Nephthys
Nicholsons was a far more traditional, wacky clown serial killer Joker, simultaneously trying to be scary and funny, like how the Joker was commonly portrayed. I don't know if you meant comic-like as in 'more like in a comic' or as in comical, but Nicholson did both. He had his little Joker-gadgets and used the Joker toxin unique to the character and made his sociopathic humour yet still failed to deliver a proformance on Ledgers level.

And you said that a more 'comic-like' Joker would be more sinister than Ledgers one. That was what I disagreed with, citing that that had already been tried and found lacking.

And you don't seem to have a problem with Ledger's Joker, but with the whole Nolen-verse, which focus' on more realism and not being 'comic-like'. And as has been said Ledger still made his Joker similar to one of the incarnations in the comics.

Mr. Rhythmic

Disagreed. The spirit, attitude, and personality of the character was the same to me. The only change was the setting.

One Free Man
Once again it's about the writing/directing/acting involved with the joker.

yeah, I get it. The joker is good in the film.

The story sucks big greasy, salty lugnuts. It's too convoluted, tries to incorporate to many villains, and climaxes two times too many.

Kazenji

The story sucks big greasy, salty lugnuts. It's too convoluted, tries to incorporate to many villains, and climaxes two times too many.

TDK?

it did'nt have that many villains in it and "It's too convoluted" it was easy to understand what was going on for me.

NemeBro
The story sucks big greasy, salty lugnuts. It's too convoluted, tries to incorporate to many villains, and climaxes two times too many. Convoluted...?

What was hard to follow for you about the story?

And it only had two real villains.

Darth Martin
The story sucks big greasy, salty lugnuts. It's too convoluted, tries to incorporate to many villains, and climaxes two times too many. This is the part where I challenge you to name a better comic book film adaptation.

The only film on the same level as it is Watchmen IMO. None of the others are close.

Bouboumaster
Blade 2, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Terminator 2, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness (I find it totally AWESOME with Campbell's one liners), The Dark Knight, Batman Return's (yes, I admit it, I find it better that Batman (1989), Return of the King, etc.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Blade 2, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Terminator 2, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness (I find it totally AWESOME with Campbell's one liners), The Dark Knight, Batman Return's (yes, I admit it, I find it better that Batman (1989), Return of the King, etc.

whoa now. this is the like the sequals but not the original thread.Your not actually saying you didnt like Terminater One or Batman Begins are you? please tell me thats not the case,that you were thinking it was a thread where you liked the sequals better than the original cause Batman Begins and Terminater one are both very good and excellent films.Im thinking thats what you meant cause you mentioned you liked Batman Returns better than Batman 89.again your not suppose to like the original movie at all.

Ultraviolence
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

People that perish are treated differently once they die than they did when they were alive and that kind of logic works on a larger scale for famous people. Individuals tend to think only of the positive highlights of an individual and even unnecessarily praise them once they've died.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that's it is right or even reasonable but it is what people do. Also, I don't think that works evenly. Day-Lewis is known as one of the greatest method actors but Heath Ledger wasn't. Sure, Ledger was always praised as a great actor but not on the same scale as Day-Lewis. He might go from, let's say for argument's sake, seventy two percent popularity to ninety three percent popularity, whereas Day-Lewis is already high enough that he cannot go much higher once he's deceased.

I have to agree. People probably would say the same thing about Day-Lewis but that is because "people" aren't too bright for the most part.

I'd have to agree. I thought his role was superbly well done.

It depends, really. The Joker has a very unpredictable personality and I think that nailing his character isn't something that's really an easy task but some of the mannerisms were a little awkward and the Joker simply seemed "eccentric" instead of insane. I thought that Ledger's Joker was more akin to Brian Azzarello's Joker than the canonical Joker in "The Killing Joke."

I'm not saying the Joker in TDK was necessarily a lower quality Joker. I'm simply saying that Nolan's "realism" formulae may have been a little less symmetrical to the insanely hyperactive magic of the Joker I see in comic books. Ledger's Joker was great in it's own right but I see all of these biased fanboys constantly shouting, "Oh dear! It was so much like the comics! It was the greatest Joker ever! RIP! RIP!" It's rather annoying.

I'd have to agree with this. A lot of individuals believe that the superhero formula has to be the same in every media outlet it is placed in and I especially think that's incorrect regarding Batman. He shares similarities to those heroes but he is a whole different ball park.

Mr Parker
You like the sequel better? I haven't seen any of them all the way through but most claim the original Lethal Weapon is an action classic and THE definitive "cop buddy" film. It's on my "most wanted dvds" list.
yeah I only rented it cause many people were always coming up to me and saying-Dude have you seen Lethal Weapon? and when I answered no,they would say-Oh you got to see it,its awesome,its amazing and things like that.So I rented it going in expecting a lot so i was kinda let down by it I think is why I mainly didn't like it.

If nobody had said anything and I had just happened to have been watching it casually by chance,I probably would have liked it more than I did I think but because those people billed it up so much,I was let down by it I think.

When Lethal Weapon Two came out,even though people were saying the same thing again,I went in not expecting much since I was really dissapointed with the first film and to my pleasant surprise,I loved it.So the expectations played a big part in this case on those movies.

One Free Man
Originally posted by NemeBro
Convoluted...?

What was hard to follow for you about the story?
I still dont understand what the whole laou-skyhook thing was about, for instance.

Also, wtf was with the ending. bats HAS to be the bad guy? will gotham really commit suicide if they hear that the D.A. went insane after a painful and disfiguring injury? I dont even know the name of the D.A. in my district. embarrasment

edit: also, i'm critiquing it as a film, comparable to other films, not a comic book adaptation. Imo, bb was better even if I was.

Rogue Jedi
I still dont understand what the whole laou-skyhook thing was about, for instance.

Also, wtf was with the ending. bats HAS to be the bad guy? will gotham really commit suicide if they hear that the D.A. went insane after a painful and disfiguring injury? I dont even know the name of the D.A. in my district. embarrasment Gotham was in shambles, as far as crime rate goes. Harvey was getting shit done to fix it, he gave the people hope. If they knew he had fallen from grace, odds are they would have given up totally.

One Free Man
Gotham was in shambles, as far as crime rate goes. Harvey was getting shit done to fix it, he gave the people hope. If they knew he had fallen from grace, odds are they would have given up totally. he had just been elected without one conviction, as I recall.

Darth Martin

The Chinese wouldn't extradite a native. Meaning, Gotham PD couldn't take Lau back after he left to his home country. Seeing as how Batman seemingly works alone, he improvised and brought him back under his own power.

The whole conversation on the roof involving Dent, Batman, and Gordon explained this pretty clearly.

One Free Man
The Chinese wouldn't extradite a native. Meaning, Gotham PD couldn't take Lau back after he left to his home country. Seeing as how Batman seemingly works alone, he improvised and brought him back under his own power.

The whole conversation on the roof involving Dent, Batman, and Gordon explained this pretty clearly. soooo its like revenge? also you can't convict a citizen of another country, especially after kidnapping him from his. Also I dont think the chinese would see that wth kind eyes. no expression

and one other thing, how does that sequence ad to the story, the characters, and/or flow? It doesnt. Its an arch that doesnt have much to do with anything.

it's as if in the midle of esb, luke went on a personal vendetta after boba fett and then tried to get vader.

Alpha Centauri
soooo its like revenge? also you can't convict a citizen of another country, especially after kidnapping him from his. Also I dont think the chinese would see that wth kind eyes. no expression

and one other thing, how does that sequence ad to the story, the characters, and/or flow? It doesnt. Its an arch that doesnt have much to do with anything.

it's as if in the midle of esb, luke went on a personal vendetta after boba fett and then tried to get vader.

What do you mean? It's an integral part.

It was proof to the Joker and his goons that Batman has no jurisdiction, so it compounded his claims and made them turn to him for help. "Oh, Joker was right!", sort of thing.

It also aided Dent in locking up half of Gotham's crime bosses, so it cemented his place as Gotham's white knight, because he now had Lau and Batman was the only way they could get Lau: "If I get you Lau, can you get him to talk?", "I'll get him to sing.".

This, in turn, made Dent an even more viable target for the Joker's scheme. He had done something nobody else could and was viewed with in a more glowing light than anyone had been before. Belief that this guy was incorruptable was at an all time high and the public loved him for it. It's what made him a perfect example of what Joker was saying.

If he was just some good natured politician, it wouldn't have worked.

Try watching the movie first.

-AC

Mr. Rhythmic
Once again it's about the writing/directing/acting involved with the joker.

yeah, I get it. The joker is good in the film.

Once again, disagreed. The story felt so organic and flowing to me. Everything that happened felt like the logical next step from the scene prior.

Mr. Rhythmic
whoa now. this is the like the sequals but not the original thread.Your not actually saying you didnt like Terminater One or Batman Begins are you? please tell me thats not the case,that you were thinking it was a thread where you liked the sequals better than the original cause Batman Begins and Terminater one are both very good and excellent films.Im thinking thats what you meant cause you mentioned you liked Batman Returns better than Batman 89.again your not suppose to like the original movie at all.

It's his opinion, dude.

And to be honest, I'm fighting with "Batman Begins" because I'm still not sure if I actually liked it or not.

Robtard
Nonsense, Batman Begins is a better film than Batman:TDK, this is just a fact.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Robtard

More like fiction.

Ms.Marvel
i thought they both sucked personally. ermm

SnakeEyes
You would.

Ultraviolence
Originally posted by Robtard

Unfortunately, some people think that quality is debatable. Ironically, it's always fun debating someone who thinks that it is.

Rogue Jedi
BB was a better story, but TDK was better simply because the Joker was in it.

Mr. Rhythmic
Unfortunately, some people think that quality is debatable. Ironically, it's always fun debating someone who thinks that it is.

"Batman Begins" was an origin story to re-establish the character.
"The Dark Knight" was an escalation of Batman's world, introducing elements and characters that increase our knowledge and understanding of not only Batman, but Gotham City in general.

Mr. Rhythmic
BB was a better story, but TDK was better simply because the Joker was in it.

The Joker was a strong quality, but he was only the most prominent of many. The dialogue, Harvey Dent, the boat scene, ect., were all one-ups from the first.

Robtard

Quality is debatable. EG a BMW 525 is of better quality than say any Lancia ever made. The film Crazy Heart is of better quality than the film GI Joe.

WickedDynamite

I agree Spiderman 3 sucks ass.

Alpha Centauri

Of course quality is debatable, considering "Quality" is determined differently by each person.

If someone likes Date Movie, you can't tell them they're wrong.

-AC

Myth
Of course quality is debatable, considering "Quality" is determined differently by each person.

-AC

True, though things like quality are a construct that can be relatively standardized. You can say there is no such thing as a good or bad doctor, but standards can be set saying that one doctor is generally considered "good" and another "bad." Though, an individuals subjective opinion can differ from the standard version of "good." I think the same can be said for movies.

Alpha Centauri
True, though things like quality are a construct that can be relatively standardized. You can say there is no such thing as a good or bad doctor, but standards can be set saying that one doctor is generally considered "good" and another "bad." Though, an individuals subjective opinion can differ from the standard version of "good." I think the same can be said for movies.

That's not subjective, though.

If a doctor kills all his patients due to ineptitude, he is an objectively bad doctor. It doesn't matter what your personal opinion of him is, because ability is not subjective. Neither is a lack thereof.

You can't have the opinion that Neil Peart of Rush is a shit drummer, technically, because he factually is not. You can think the music he makes is shit, because that's up to you.

This isn't about that. It's about whether or not you enjoyed a movie, and thus consider it good quality. That's always subjective.

-AC

Bardock42
also you can't convict a citizen of another country,.

Yes, yes you can.

Ultraviolence

-AC

I keep on forgetting it can be difficult to detect sarcasm on here. I wasn't being literal. I was mocking Robtard.

Alpha Centauri
I keep on forgetting it can be difficult to detect sarcasm on here. I wasn't being literal. I was mocking Robtard.

Yeah, well...you don't smell real good.

-AC

One Free Man

-AC why do you do that? your name is by your post. confused

Alpha Centauri
why do you do that? your name is by your post. confused

Because I want to/Force of habit.

-AC

One Free Man
fair enough, but I thought that was what siggies are for.

Ultraviolence

-AC

It's cheap cologne, really.

Alpha Centauri
fair enough, but I thought that was what siggies are for.

By that token, sigs are unnecessary because it says your name above your avatar.

-AC

Ultraviolence
That's an interesting blog you've got there, by the way. How long have you been reading comics?

Alpha Centauri
That's an interesting blog you've got there, by the way. How long have you been reading comics?

Thanks, I appreciate it. Been reading comics since I was about six.

-AC

Mr Parker

The other thing I did not mention that I wanted to add on Darth was yeah I definetely liked Lethal Weapon two MUCH better than the first one.The first one I did not care for or like because I thouught it was way too violent with too much unnessary violence in it and there wasnt much humor in it where the second one didnt really have much violence in it like torture or anything like that and had much more humor in it with more action in it so for me,yeah its a no brainer.Two is far better than the first one which again I think is highly overrated.

K.Diddy
Off,the top of my head,Superman 2 and Evil dead 2

jhonatancas
i cant think of any that i liked the sequel and not the original, its usually the other way around.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Undisputed 2 (first movie was mediocre, but this direct-to-video sequel was cheated out of being shown on the big screen) LOL. The first film is great. The second one is the film that's mediocre. Apart from the incredible(but predictable) fight scenes it's very underwhelming. I love Michael Jai White but he isn't better than Snipes/Rhames in Undisputed.

With that said, I have a fondness for Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween.

sixella 34
Mad Max- The Road Warrior was better than Mad Max one.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by K.Diddy
Off,the top of my head,Superman 2 and Evil dead 2

you trying to say you didnt like the first Superman movie? confused

K.Diddy
you trying to say you didnt like the first Superman movie? confused

erm No,I'm not. My apologies I thought the thread topic was what sequels did you like BETTER then the originals,sorry,my bad

So let me correct my previous post,by stating that I like Superman 2 and Evil Dead 2 BETTER then the originals.Yes,I still do like the original movies as well though,just not as much as I like the sequels.

smile Once again,My Apologies

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Moscow
If the Star Wars films count, then I like Empire Strikes Back over A New Hope. ANH was good but paled in comparison to the magintude of ESB

I argee alot of movies that was remade I don't like at all.Planets of Apes was awful as a remake and The Parent Trap and that Darn cat. smile

roughrider
If this is about disliking the first film, not just thinking the second one is better...

Then yes, Fantastic Four 2 is way better than the lame Fantastic Four.

ADarksideJedi
Oh oopes thanks.

Myth
I liked 28 Weeks Later, but I was not a fan of 28 Days Later.

SnakeEyes

Interesting. Why didn't you like Days? And why Weeks?

Dr Will Hatch
Batman Begins wasn't my cup of tea. The Dark Knight brought everything full circle and made me appreciate both movies as part of a larger mythology.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Batman Begins wasn't my cup of tea. The Dark Knight brought everything full circle and made me appreciate both movies as part of a larger mythology.

smokin' The Dark Knight was the better film,but why didn't you like Batman Begins?

Makkari
I don't know if this counts but I liked the last Star Trek movie they made and pretty much hated everything that came before it.

SnakeEyes
That definitely counts.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Makkari
I don't know if this counts but I liked the last Star Trek movie they made and pretty much hated everything that came before it.

smile I agree on that one

The Nuul

Thats too hard imo, thats why I didnt list any thing.

Kazenji

Same here.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by K.Diddy
smokin' The Dark Knight was the better film,but why didn't you like Batman Begins? It felt like something was... missing. I needed to see if Batman actually had any long term effects on Gotham City, which we saw in TDK that he did. Plus, the theme of fear in BB didn't mean much to me. People get murdered every single day, and it didn't ring true to me that someone would be that traumatized by it.

And I'm one of the few people who think that Christian Bale was BETTER in The Dark Knight than "Begins". I just couldn't relate to him in Begins, but I could understand him in TDK.

K.Diddy
beer Fair enough,but the reason,I think it did not show whether Batman had any long term effects on gotham city was simply because like the movie say's It's the Beginning.

Quiero Mota
Unlike seemingly most people, I actually like Star Wars more than Empire. Partly, because Empire doesn't make any sense unless you saw the first SW.

In order for a sequel to be better than the first, I think that someone who never saw the first should be able to follow the story without explanations. Especially with sci-fi/fantasy type movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.