Leo's Tourney!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
how's that for a cool name? big grin

so, rules as follows:

--low meta

--teams of 3.

--the 3 characters will be subject to my okay--and i'm NOT the forgiving type when it comes to this issue

--competitor will have the choice of amalgamating his characters or keeping them as individuals or a combo of the 2. this decision CAN be changed from match to match.

--i'm considering a redraft scenario since i think it adds some excitement but not sure if i'll go after each match or after the first rd is finished.

--10secs of prep of RELATIVE PREP--ZERO TOLERANCE

--reverse-order drafting in second rd, first-come, first-serve in rd3

--looking for 6 people seriously interested. i'm going to go ahead and say for the sake of argument that we have the following:

1. smurph
2. bw
3. digi (you KNOW you want to kick ass with parker . . . )
4. omega
5. cdb
6. ?

--2 pools of three, rd robin format. top 2 advance to x-over semi-final and top 2 to the final, single elimination.

--general tourney rules will apply. no power copying, speed is capped at CLASSIC quicksilver level but that speed advantage does NOT grant any advantage in prep--not even in thinking speed. no time manip, no reality manip., no matter manip directly on the opponent. (none of that should really be an issue given the level of this thing.)

--and of course, no loopholes. seriously.

--my goal was to try and have a tourney where the winner was based more on who debated the best, as opposed to gimmicky characters and/or equipment/tech.

--as far as tech limits--think mr terrific's standard gear.

--a single independent construct (ie the batmobile) will be allowed

--no tp ohk, no mentally controlling opponents. tk is capped at about classic cable level at the very outside.

--the standard stuff, pretty much. everyone in this thing should be familiar with the basics. any direct questions, pm me. any character concerns pm me BEFORE you choose them.

--banned characters so far include:

sabes
jakita wagner
ambrose chase
blink

i'll add to the list as we go along

anything else, pm me

leonidas
psycho gundam seems like he MAY be our 6th. let m know PG so we can get this thing going. if not, we still need ONE MORE CONTESTANT!

now, to those involved--let me explain briefly how i'm deciding which character is on or out and i'll fill you in on a small problem i'm having and let YOU guys decide how i should address as regards the tourney.

in general, when a character is proposed, i ask myself--could this person take a clear majority from someone like spidey or logan. if the answer in MY mind is yes, then i ban him/her. if the answer is no, then i'm more inclined to say ok. problem with that is that imo, logan could take down someone like ben grim for a majority, but ben is listed in the high meta tier. it would be tougher for spidey to take ben, but he could get some wins too, imo.

i guess my question is this: how would you like me to handle the one-dimensional brick-types who may be listed higher in tier, but could be beaten by lesser tier-ed guys pretty easily? an example might be sebastian shaw against soemone like mister x? x likely chops shaw into pieces everytime, but shaw is tiered higher.

i could make it simple and say stick to the tier thread explicitly, but that would eliminate some good characters. a borderline guy is HAWKMAN in my mind. i think him and logan would be a great fight, but carter has some pretty uber showings and a couple really solid strength feats.

so, thoughts on how best to proceed on these basic brick-style guys?

Digi
Carter > Logan imo. I think the same with Thing, since you're right that Spidey could give him a fight, but he'd also take the majority. It's also iffy to start considering Class 100's regardless of whether or not they're one-dimensional (which Thing is, even if he's a low Class 100). But I see what you're saying about borderline characters. You know your stuff so I trust you with decisions.

I also vote for 5 seconds prep. Blair with 10 scares me.

leonidas
my concern is that someone may draft a cl100 brick simply to amalgamate them. i'll wait to hear what the others think before i confirm. everyone will know before the draft so no worries.

rule update--teleporting IS legal, so long as you are teleporting ONLY YOURSELF and YOUR OWN TEAM. teleporting with the other team or using teleportation offensively will be viewed as matter manip on opponents.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by leonidas
psycho gundam seems like he MAY be our 6th. let m know PG so we can get this thing going. if not, we still need ONE MORE CONTESTANT!

now, to those involved--let me explain briefly how i'm deciding which character is on or out and i'll fill you in on a small problem i'm having and let YOU guys decide how i should address as regards the tourney.

in general, when a character is proposed, i ask myself--could this person take a clear majority from someone like spidey or logan. if the answer in MY mind is yes, then i ban him/her. if the answer is no, then i'm more inclined to say ok. problem with that is that imo, logan could take down someone like ben grim for a majority, but ben is listed in the high meta tier. it would be tougher for spidey to take ben, but he could get some wins too, imo.

i guess my question is this: how would you like me to handle the one-dimensional brick-types who may be listed higher in tier, but could be beaten by lesser tier-ed guys pretty easily? an example might be sebastian shaw against soemone like mister x? x likely chops shaw into pieces everytime, but shaw is tiered higher.

i could make it simple and say stick to the tier thread explicitly, but that would eliminate some good characters. a borderline guy is HAWKMAN in my mind. i think him and logan would be a great fight, but carter has some pretty uber showings and a couple really solid strength feats.

so, thoughts on how best to proceed on these basic brick-style guys?

I think that we should stick to the heart of the tournament: low level. Even if people are one-dimensional and can be beaten by a lower powered foe one on one, they do not fit the standards we agreed upon. I say this for the same reason you mentioned, it will be become a game of who can exploit the biggest man in an amalgam.

Also, I'm ok with 5 seconds prep Digi smile

leonidas
all right. 2 is enough for me, when added with my own inclination.

with that in mind:

-- guys like ben and carter will not be considered.

--i'll max the strength level at about cl50 (about black tarantula) which is above parker, but not TOO far above him

--durability will be maxed around someone like, again, black tarantula/venom/cage

--specific powers that allow special case protection (IE, skids, cannonball) will be allowed as well since both powers can be countered and have their own intrinsic drawbacks if used in amalgams

--though outright power-copying is banned, characters like taskmaster WILL be allowed, since his powerset CAN and has been countered

--mister x is legal

--to reiterate--i would like to keep as much diversity as possible while maintaining the proper powerlevel and have things come down to debating skills rather than gimmicky characters/prep plans.

Charlotte DeBel
If Taskmaster is allowed, will the experience carry from round to round?

leonidas
nope.

leonidas
new rule--i meant to do this initially (thanks for the reminder bw), but there IS an appearance limit of 10 for a character to be considered legal.

also--i've a number of confirmed judges already, so thanks to those who have agreed. anyone else interested in judging, drop me a line. gracias.

rader
So when's this starting up... It seems.. Interesting?

leonidas
i'm hoping next week. you're new i think, but we still have one more spot open if you're interested in joining. smile

further clarification--amalgams need to be logically consistent. a silly example--you couldn't draft ultron (obviously) and give him BP's vibranium claws. unless you were going for a quick self-induced wtfpwn, of course.

Charlotte DeBel
i'm hoping next week. you're new i think, but we still have one more spot open if you're interested in joining. smile

further clarification--amalgams need to be logically consistent. a silly example--you couldn't draft ultron (obviously) and give him BP's vibranium claws. unless you were going for a quick self-induced wtfpwn, of course.

Or draft Venom and amalgamate him with flame usersmile Though that way only one powerset is uselesssmile

Original Smurph
Unless the flame user was immune to fire, in which case, Venom would get fire immunity...

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Blair Wind
I think that we should stick to the heart of the tournament: low level. Even if people are one-dimensional and can be beaten by a lower powered foe one on one, they do not fit the standards we agreed upon. I say this for the same reason you mentioned, it will be become a game of who can exploit the biggest man in an amalgam.

Also, I'm ok with 5 seconds prep Digi smile ^ he's too smug, keep an eye on this guy. uhuh

yo leo, i'm in (unless the other guy wants the spot more)

Digi
all right. 2 is enough for me, when added with my own inclination.

with that in mind:

-- guys like ben and carter will not be considered.

--i'll max the strength level at about cl50 (about black tarantula) which is above parker, but not TOO far above him

--durability will be maxed around someone like, again, black tarantula/venom/cage

--specific powers that allow special case protection (IE, skids, cannonball) will be allowed as well since both powers can be countered and have their own intrinsic drawbacks if used in amalgams

--though outright power-copying is banned, characters like taskmaster WILL be allowed, since his powerset CAN and has been countered

--mister x is legal

--to reiterate--i would like to keep as much diversity as possible while maintaining the proper powerlevel and have things come down to debating skills rather than gimmicky characters/prep plans.

Sounds good for the most part. Judging by vs. forum chatter, though, this Mister X guy is going to be a tard to fight against in the tourney. I may need to do some research on him.

Also, I'm ok with 5 seconds prep Digi smile

'twas joking about the 5 seconds. I don't really care. If someone can (believably) do something worthwhile with characters this level in 10 seconds that greatly affects the match, more power to them. But I agree with your reasoning here.

rader
MMK. I'm down. For all intents and purposes, I am new. I've been on VERY inconsistently for the past 6 years. Forgot the password to my old account, but I used to do Comic Book Vs. back before all the acronyms. Also I don't read DC, so I can't participate in like half of the debates now anyways... but I'll pm you with my team... Thinking maybe Venom, Morbius, and Demogoblin so long as none of them are excluded. Just go ahead and tell me what I need.

Digi
Drafts will take place one round at a time rader, and leo will have to confirm your participation...not sure if it's you or psycho_gundam. But welcome back, and good luck!

rader
K. Well should i still pm him my choices... Sorry a little confused

rader
Oh nm i get it...

Digi
Yeah, it'll be a few days. Leo will announce the first draft and we'll have a thread for it. Round 2 will be in reverse order from round 1, to keep thing fair.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t447826.html
...a good guide to who will and won't be acceptable. This tier:
Tier 2

Low
3-D Man, Ambrose Chase, Angel, Arachne, Arana, Azrael, Beast, Black Canary, Black Tarantula, Blade, Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett), Bruenor Battlehammer, Century, Charcoal, Charlie 27, Constrictor, Creeper, Cyber, Dagger, Deadpool, Deathlok, Deathstroke the Terminator, Doc Ock, Drizzt Do'Urden, Elixer, Falcon, Firehawk, Gambit, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Iron Fist, Jakita Wagner, Karnak, Kid Devil, Killer Croc, Klaw, Lady Deathstrike, Longshot, Luke Cage, Man-Bat, Marrina (Normal), Mercury, Midnighter, Mister Hyde, Multiple Man, Mysterio, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Nuke, Orka Humbug, Prometheus, Protocide, Puck, Puma, Rage, Sabretooth, Shang Chi, Silver Samurai, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Swift, Thunder Cats, Tombstone, Triathalon, Vance Astro, Vanguard, Vermin, Vulture, Warpath, Wildchild, Wizard, Wulfgar, X-23

...is the rough guideline, along with anyone lower and a few in the next highest tier (with limited exceptions in them all).

illadelph12
evil_monkey

rader
So what would your opinion on Demo be?

leonidas
ok, so, since PG called it first, PG has the 6th spot.

welcome aboard gundam! big grin

RD1 draft is set for 6EST saturday night.
RD2 will take place as soon as RD1 is finished the same night, no later than 7EST, followed by RD3 at the conclusion of RD2, no later than 8EST saturday night. if everyone gets their votes in early, all the drafting can be done within the first hour. so get into your war-rooms, talk to you people and plan those back-up characters in case your primary ones get snatched!! big grin

proxys CAN be assigned if you need one. if you miss a rd, or can't make the draft, you will be able to select 3 characters from the remaining pool of characters by no later than midnight on sunday.

complete roster is as follows:

1. gundam
2. bw
3. cdb
4. digi
5. smurph
6. omega

POOL A:

1. smurph
2. cdb
3. omega

POOL B:

1. bw
2. digi
3. gundam

i'd like to get matches started on TUES evening, 5EST. 8 posts/competitor and all matches will close on FRI midnight. that will be the general format throughout, barring complications. matches will be announced sunday afternoon of all drafts are complete, monday if someone needs to draft on sunday.

so, what are you doing wasting time reading this--pick some characters already! laughing out loud

psycho gundam
1. bw
2. digi
3. gundam
and look what i've won...... sad

last come, first to go?

leonidas
Originally posted by psycho gundam

last come, first to go?

laughing out loud

have faith me boyo! everyone who's ever done well in tourneys got their first upset win sometime. big grin

psycho gundam
shifty

-K-M-
Thier all going to laugh at you...their all going to laugh at you

Digi
Leo, what happens in a "Everyone is 1-1 after round robin" scenario?

last come, first to go?

What's the phrase? "To be the best..."

Chin up. If it makes you feel any better, only 1 will make it out of our little threesome. So either Blair or myself are similarly up a creek (or both of us, if you whup us).

Originally posted by rader
So what would your opinion on Demo be?

Sorry you missed out then rader. There's always a "next" tourney though, and feel free to follow this one just for amusement.

"Id"

last come, first to go? I would be psyched, the higher the quality of opponent the better.

rader
Oh i'll live. I realized I was actually working at the times he wanted anyway

Charlotte DeBel
ok, so, since PG called it first, PG has the 6th spot.

welcome aboard gundam! big grin

RD1 draft is set for 6EST saturday night.
RD2 will take place as soon as RD1 is finished the same night, no later than 7EST, followed by RD3 at the conclusion of RD2, no later than 8EST saturday night. if everyone gets their votes in early, all the drafting can be done within the first hour. so get into your war-rooms, talk to you people and plan those back-up characters in case your primary ones get snatched!! big grin

proxys CAN be assigned if you need one. if you miss a rd, or can't make the draft, you will be able to select 3 characters from the remaining pool of characters by no later than midnight on sunday.

complete roster is as follows:

1. gundam
2. bw
3. cdb
4. digi
5. smurph
6. omega

POOL A:

1. smurph
2. cdb
3. omega

POOL B:

1. bw
2. digi
3. gundam

i'd like to get matches started on TUES evening, 5EST. 8 posts/competitor and all matches will close on FRI midnight. that will be the general format throughout, barring complications. matches will be announced sunday afternoon of all drafts are complete, monday if someone needs to draft on sunday.

so, what are you doing wasting time reading this--pick some characters already! laughing out loud

I think I need one. 6 PM EST is horribly inconvinient for me even on weekends (it's 2 AM my timezone), and with two drafts happening the same night I'm at disadvantagesmile You'll be laughing but my mother is concerned about the health of my nervous system (specifically after that horrible November a few years ago, remember that story with dead cat?) and she won't allow me to stay up and online all the night for a reason such minor as comics book debating tourney. I have iPhone but I can't post links from itsmile

I guess I'll just PM the characters (along with just-in-case backups) in draft order to Leo (and have him assign me the last draft priority so it will be fair to everyone) or ask somebody like Id to act as my proxy.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Digi
Leo, what happens in a "Everyone is 1-1 after round robin" scenario?

What's the phrase? "To be the best..."

Chin up. If it makes you feel any better, only 1 will make it out of our little threesome. So either Blair or myself are similarly up a creek (or both of us, if you whup us).

Sorry you missed out then rader. There's always a "next" tourney though, and feel free to follow this one just for amusement.

IIRC two make it out of the group, not one... there's crossover semis (1A vs 2B and 2A vs 1B)=8 group stage matches (4 every week), 2 semis and a final=11 matches.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
IIRC two make it out of the group, not one... there's crossover semis (1A vs 2B and 2A vs 1B)=8 group stage matches (4 every week), 2 semis and a final=11 matches.
Not 8...6 (three matches in each pool, 2 matches per week one in each pool). miscalculated stuff

leonidas
sorry cdb. sad

i figured it would be inconvient for you which is why i ok'd proxys. if you can give a list to someone they should be able to help you out, i hope. and yeah, 2 make it out.

Charlotte DeBel
I'll repost it to Id. It was posted to you just to see if anyone I planned (or backups for that case) are illegal.

Charlotte DeBel
Delph has agreed to be a proxy for mesmile

illadelph12
Hmm...

Now I just noticed that the draft is scheduled on my bday at a time where I'll likely be away from my PC...

Damn you Leonidas!!!!

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by illadelph12
Hmm...

Now I just noticed that the draft is scheduled on my bday at a time where I'll likely be away from my PC...

Damn you Leonidas!!!!

Luckily I asked Wei Phoenix, my White Knight, to help mesmile As for your birthday...no greetings in advance, but hope it goes finesmile

Wei Phoenix
Luckily I asked Wei Phoenix, my White Knight, to help mesmile As for your birthday...no greetings in advance, but hope it goes finesmile

What Delph can not do, another brother can!

Digi
Or you could just take the last pick in rd. 1 knowing you'll have the 1st in round 2. It's not really a lose/lose situation even if you can't make it.

psycho gundam
lol "white knight"

(no racial)

Charlotte DeBel
lol "white knight"

(no racial)

It's a title, darlingsmile I'm a Queen (White one) and he's my Knight (also White to match the chess pieces). Nothing racial theresmile

Charlotte DeBel
Or you could just take the last pick in rd. 1 knowing you'll have the 1st in round 2. It's not really a lose/lose situation even if you can't make it.

All three rounds happen within three hours (IIRC). I didn't want to be the one to slow down the sh*te all the way into Sunday, hence the mess with proxies.

Digi
You can have the first 3 picks overall for all I care. I'm not considering any female characters.

Blair Wind
You can have the first 3 picks overall for all I care. I'm not considering any female characters.

Of course not. Your potential team probably looks like:

Spiderman
Scarlet Spider
Black Tarantula

Charlotte DeBel

Spiderman
Scarlet Spider
Black Tarantula

If I get everyone I want it'll be 2 girls and 1 guy team, all-ladies squad is my plan B (only slightly different from plan A, thoughsmile).

Digi

Spiderman
Scarlet Spider
Black Tarantula

Pfft!

fdog

The Nuul
What! Digi is not going for Midnighter? BLASPHEMY!!! I say.

Digi
I'm not sure why my history in tourneys has led everyone to think I'm only interested in 2 characters. I remember similar jabs in my other low meta tourney. I used upwards of 20 characters in my last tourney (delph's), ranging from low street to high meta. And only 2-3 were fanboy picks.

Besides, I have a 3rd pick after I take Spider-Man and Midnighter. That pick will blow everyone's minds.

wink

The Nuul
I wanted to see Mid kicking ass...

ahah

leonidas
i'm still considering ways to deal with a 3-way tie. we could use a pt-format like in bats' tourney, but i wasn't a big fan of that. opening a poll to the forum is not something i like either. i'm open to suggestions. we could also simply table the discussion until it happens.

thoughts?

psycho gundam
all three fight simultaneously rome style always works.

leonidas
all three fight simultaneously rome style always works.

laughing out loud

that might be a very good idea! judges would only need to decide who the LOSER was. maybe just make it 3 days and 5 posts each or something.

that would be different AND fun. hmmm . . .

oh, and though there are only EIGHT posts allowed in rd1 matches, the semis will have 10 posts and finals 12 or until both agree they are done.

Digi
i'm still considering ways to deal with a 3-way tie. we could use a pt-format like in bats' tourney, but i wasn't a big fan of that. opening a poll to the forum is not something i like either. i'm open to suggestions. we could also simply table the discussion until it happens.

thoughts?

A point system, tabulating a total vote count (similar to points, but no extra mechanic), or a tiebreak FFA are all possibilities. I agree that a poll should be the last option.

leonidas
A point system, tabulating a total vote count (similar to points, but no extra mechanic), or a tiebreak FFA are all possibilities. I agree that a poll should be the last option.

lol

that's TWO for the FFA idea.

all right, done. in the event a pool ends in a 3-way, all 3 will be placed in a single match. rules will be worked out in more detail in the following days as i consider the format further.

i like it though! laughing out loud

Digi
I wasn't voting for it, just listing possibilities. Done right, FFA's are fun, but it's your call.

leonidas
ah. well, i DO like the idea so i think i'll go with it. it would be fun to see if it happened.

Digi
Is 8 posts (or 10/12) going to include an "opening" post that is submitted pre-match? Or will that not even be included?

psycho gundam
thumb up for colosseum fight

Wei Phoenix
It's a title, darlingsmile I'm a Queen (White one) and he's my Knight (also White to match the chess pieces). Nothing racial theresmile

I will forever remember this post right here whenever I'm depressed or on the verge of hara-kiri.

psycho gundam
what if you are depressed about being amnesiac or something?

illadelph12
laughing

Wei Phoenix
Then I'm screwed and it was nice knowing you all.

leonidas
Is 8 posts (or 10/12) going to include an "opening" post that is submitted pre-match? Or will that not even be included?

so long as your OP can be fit into 1 post, it won't count against. if you need 2 posts, it will cost you a post. i'm hoping OP's won't be TOO long given the ltd prep times.

leonidas
for those wondering here is a list of on-board judges:

delph
galan
jake
jlking
bada
kfish
pr
eny
guy22
whitewitch
(wet) blanket (heh--i crack me up)

and a finer group of judges has never been assembled!!! when you see these guys online, might be a good idea to send them some sort of flattering pm. i know it never hurt when i did it . . . heh. big grin

Enyalus
Anyone sending me flattering PMs gets an auto-lose vote from me. Since nothing about me is flattering, I know you're lying. And if you lie, how can I trust what you post during your battlezone tournament threads?

See how this spirals down into a self-destructive system of self-destructiveness? I guess what I am trying to say is not to listen to any advice that Leo gives out.

leonidas
Originally posted by Enyalus
I guess what I am trying to say is not to listen to any advice that Leo gives out.

gonna need a replacement judge here . . . . this one is clearly non compos mentis . . .

Enyalus
I thought, as a Canadian, you were supposed to speak French as your second language, not Latin? Or are you just brushing up on your legal terms?

Fail on multiple levels. Tsk.

illadelph12
I find it hilarious how you still use that Brain avatar after that Pinky & The Brain joke I made when you and Scoob teamed up in my Tourney Leo. Classic.

leonidas
I thought, as a Canadian, you were supposed to speak French as your second language, not Latin? Or are you just brushing up on your legal terms?

Fail on multiple levels. Tsk.

huh? non compos mentis ISN'T french??? who knew? big grin

and if it ain't broke delph, i ain't fixin' it.

Enyalus
huh? non compos mentis ISN'T french??? who knew? big grin
Hmmm...Well, while I do love la langue francaise, I am very partial towards Latin. So, I forgive you.

big grin

...Tourny starts this Tuesday, or was that the drafts?

Charlotte DeBel
Drafts are this Saturday evening, matches are to start on Tuesday.

Original Smurph
Hmm.... I may need to line up a proxy, at least for the third draft...

I should also come up with some idea of who to draft... mmm

leonidas
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Hmm.... I may need to line up a proxy, at least for the third draft...

I should also come up with some idea of who to draft... mmm

planning is overrated. no expression

and rule addendum--NO BFR wins. in case that wasn't ovbious.

psycho gundam
i need a proxy also.

Digi
God, I should just bribe these damn proxies. I'm going to be the only actual contestant at the draft.

leonidas
vixen can be added to the banned list.

and not sure i mentioned this or not but teleporting IS legal. blink is banned for the offensive use of teleporting but someone like nightcrawler is fine, though he can't port anyone else except his teammates.

NO ABILITIES save reality/time manip have been banned.

i will also NOT allow neutering of any character's powerset. tech CAN be eliminated to allow a character in however--ie--someone like noh-varr who has been asked about numerous times. he's fine but no plex or pocket BF.

i've had very few questions sent my way which must mean people are pretty confident that the people they are considering fall safely into the correct power level. i hope y'all are right . . .

leonidas
all right, after some discussions, it seems saturday really is inconvient for the majority of competitors. the draft is fun and i don't like the thought of 5 people needing to find proxies.

so . . . . . i'll back the draft up until sunday and in an effort to be fair, i'll set it at noon EST with the same format--all 3 drafts at once. i realize THIS may be inconvenient for a couple, but sat seemed to be a big problem. i really don't want to have to move it again so hopefully this time is better. if everyone has their picks and back-ups ready, it shouldn't come close to taking the 3 hrs.

so get those picks ready for sunday! stick out tongue

psycho gundam
perfect

i could send it to you now

Digi
meh, w/e. If the kids need an extra day, I'm good either way. It'll at least be better to debate against actual tourney members instead of proxies when a bunch of past-the-cap mid metas are picked.

crackers

Charlotte DeBel
Noon EST at Sunday is fine with mesmile No need for proxies that waysmile

Wei Phoenix
Noon EST at Sunday is fine with mesmile No need for proxies that waysmile

You're getting rid of me and my services?sad

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
You're getting rid of me and my services?sad

Prolly next time, my Knightsmile

leonidas
meh, w/e. If the kids need an extra day, I'm good either way. It'll at least be better to debate against actual tourney members instead of proxies when a bunch of past-the-cap mid metas are picked.

crackers

yep. my sentiments exactly. no expression

Charlotte DeBel
yep. my sentiments exactly. no expression

Well, at least I've checked every single of my potential picks with you (even the crazy loophole idea that came to me during the morning shower)smile

Another thing- do we prep on battlefield or we have access to the respective prep area of a character in our team (even if limited to piloting Batmobile\Angelwing\Green Goblin's glider etc to the battlefield)?

leonidas
prep will take place in an opaque, unbreakable dome 1km apart from each other on the battlefields themselves. i'll list the battlefields after the drafts are done sunday, along with opening weeks matches and judges.

leonidas
BREAKING NEWS--INTANGIBILITY BAN!!

all right, after some LONG consideration i've decided to ban the ability to become intangible. it's a little too gimmicky for my tastes and i'm not sure there are enough low level characters who can use the ability. i don't like the idea of an ability that not everyone could exploit.

pologies if this throws a monkey wrench in anyone's plans. have back-ups for your back-ups. smile

Digi
Heh, cool. Saves me the legwork of forming a counter-plan...I wouldn't have wanted to waste a pick on an intangible, and there's only so many counters to it that exist at this level.

Charlotte DeBel
BREAKING NEWS--INTANGIBILITY BAN!!

all right, after some LONG consideration i've decided to ban the ability to become intangible. it's a little too gimmicky for my tastes and i'm not sure there are enough low level characters who can use the ability. i don't like the idea of an ability that not everyone could exploit.

pologies if this throws a monkey wrench in anyone's plans. have back-ups for your back-ups. smile

Damn... at least one of my planned characters CAN do that (at least according to her Wiki bio), but that's not the major reason I wanted her... anyways, no neutering is no neutering, I can live with that as I've several backups planned by now.

Enyalus
Charlotte is KMC's Batman in addition to filling the post as White Queen. Plans for every contingency.

Digi
We're supposed to have plans?

confused

leonidas
digi is kmc's . . . . confused

who's a guy who never has any plans?

heh

Enyalus
digi is kmc's . . . . confused

who's a guy who never has any plans?

heh
Peter Parker acts like he never has a plan...does that count?

Charlotte DeBel
Charlotte is KMC's Batman in addition to filling the post as White Queen. Plans for every contingency.

Think more along the lines of Elseworld's Finest Batgirl (Babs Gordon is my single favourite DC char and (along with Ems) the only "fanboy character" of mine to actually be successful in KMC tourney (if we don't count Delph's mixed genre tourney)).

Enyalus
Think more along the lines of Elseworld's Finest Batgirl (Babs Gordon is my single favourite DC char and (along with Ems) the only "fanboy character" of mine to actually be successful in KMC tourney (if we don't count Delph's mixed genre tourney)).
Your fanboy status with Emma is temporarily suspended for not arguing that she beats Magneto in that thread. uhuh You will have to redeem yourself, Miss.

Charlotte DeBel
Your fanboy status with Emma is temporarily suspended for not arguing that she beats Magneto in that thread. uhuh You will have to redeem yourself, Miss.

lolsmile))

leonidas
T-minus 3hrs til RD1 draft opens . . . .

Original Smurph
Argh. This week has been absolute hell. I have no team ideas prepared. Looks like this is another draft that I'm just going to wing.

Digi
Drafting Daken
http://marvel.com/universe/Daken

Hahaha! Beat you to him, losers.

Charlotte DeBel
LOLsmile Good joke, but the 1st April is still yet to come (didn't we have like 10 minutes before the official draft starts)?

leonidas
about 15mins til i open the thread.

recall--reverse order rd2, first come first serve rds 1&3. each successive rd will end when all people have picked, no longer than 1hr/rd.

anyone who doesn't get in has tomorrow til midnight to draft from undrafted characters. all matches will begin tues approx 5EST.

if i think your pick is illegal, i'll drop in and say so and you'll lose your draft spot.

leonidas
5mins, and of course the thread will be in the BZ

leonidas
at the top--SWEET! big grin

teams thus far:

digi--spidey, capt boomerang, moonknight
cdb--m, charcoal, black canary
smurph--cyclops, ironfist
bw--judomaster
omega--deathstroke, cage
gundam--mysterio, jonas harrow

JakeTheBank
Looks like a pretty neat array of characters/posters involved thus far.

Charlotte DeBel
at the top--SWEET! big grin

teams thus far:

cdb--m, charcoal
smurph--cyclops, ironfist
bw--judomaster
omega--deathstroke, cage
gundam--mysterio, jonas harrow

I've picked Black Canary in Rd 3, darling.

So it's: M\Charcoal\Black Canary

leonidas
I've picked Black Canary in Rd 3, darling.

So it's: M\Charcoal\Black Canary

oops. fixed. smile

(think i got everyone . . .)

Charlotte DeBel
oops. fixed. smile

(think i got everyone . . .)

Digi's most valuable pick is Angelwing, lolsmile Though Moonknight\Boomerang Jr. amalgam will rocksmile

-K-M-
Digi is not the only one who wanted MK, also FYI, Digi that's Volume.3 Moon Knight you want.

leonidas
all remaining draft choices are to be made in THIS thread.

please list ALL characters on your team when choosing. keeps things ordered that way so i don't have to say--who were his other guys again . . .

some very interesting picks--still LOADS of great choices out there.
you have til 5EST tomorrow with a redraft option at the conclusion of rd1 matches.

Omega Vision
If applicable I choose Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) for my third and final pick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Terrific_%28Michael_Holt%29
So (pending Leo's approval) my team consists of:
1. Deathstroke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathstroke
2. Luke Cage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Cage
3. Mr Terrific

leonidas
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If applicable I choose Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) for my third and final pick.
So (pending Leo's approval) my team consists of:
1. Deathstroke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathstroke
2. Luke Cage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Cage
3. Mr Terrific

thumb up

another one down, bw . . . lol

love the choices OV.

leonidas
just making sure you know though--only standard equipment can be brought into prep area and only 10secs prep time . . .

Omega Vision
just making sure you know though--only standard equipment can be brought into prep area and only 10secs prep time . . .
T-Spheres are all I really need. cool

Edit: And if it comes up his tech-invisibility can be quite nifty.

JakeTheBank
thumb up to Mr. Terrific, OV. Nice pick, one I was actually hoping to see used here.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
thumb up to Mr. Terrific, OV. Nice pick, one I was actually hoping to see used here.
Thanks. I was thinking about a third character to round off my heretofore one-dimensional h/h-based brick/MA team and I originally thought to use someone like Mister Freeze but then I thought about the T-Spheres and how good they are at crowd control and ranged attack/defense.

Original Smurph
Can I redraft? I'm not positive that I want to, but I'm considering it.

Anyways, for my third pick, I'll draft Wolverine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

So that's:

Wolverine/Iron Fist/Cyclops

leonidas
no redraft until after the rd1 matches.

Omega Vision
no redraft until after the rd1 matches.
That's fine. I don't need to redraft. My team consists of two black guys (one who used to have a fro, and another who's a badass Professor) and a guy with an eyepatch. The sheer amount of coolness should freeze all my opponents. stoned

Original Smurph
Yeah, BW filled me in. It's k, these three will dominate my pool regardless.

Original Smurph
That's fine. I don't need to redraft. My team consists of two black guys (one who used to have a fro, and another who's a badass Professor) and a guy with an eyepatch. The sheer amount of coolness should freeze all my opponents. stoned Puh-leeze. I have a superninja and Clawz.

Cyclops is kindof a wiener, but oh well.

Omega Vision
Puh-leeze. I have a superninja and Clawz.

Cyclops is kindof a wiener, but oh well.
Iron Fist is the only one who comes close to challenging my team's awesome. Don't forget Wolverine is Canadian and under 5'6". stick out tongue

batdude123
and under 5'6". stick out tongue

Bada called out.

Original Smurph
Don't forget Wolverine is Canadian Leo, fellow Canadian, I think that's sufficient evidence that Omega Vision should be disqualified, don't you? mmm

Digi
Gotta be honest, I wish I was in the other round robin bracket. I have some unfortunately specific counters to pretty much every team that got drafted....and I'm not facing them. 'course, I might match up well in my own bracket too, if they'd get around to choosing a team.

Nice to know I messed up Blair's draft, though. And others, apparently, with Moon Knight. It wasn't for nothing that I wanted to draft at the turn in rounds 1-2.

Originally posted by -K-M-
Digi is not the only one who wanted MK, also FYI, Digi that's Volume.3 Moon Knight you want.

Thank you. And yes, MK is excellent. I discovered him in delph's last tourney, but never really got to put him to much use. I think I only used him in 1 of my 8-9 matches.

Omega Vision
Leo, fellow Canadian, I think that's sufficient evidence that Omega Vision should be disqualified, don't you? mmm
I smell fear. evil face

leonidas
Leo, fellow Canadian, I think that's sufficient evidence that Omega Vision should be disqualified, don't you? mmm

so, let's see . . . comes in late for teh drafts AND pokes fun at canadians, eh?

yeah, i don't like his odds . . .

leonidas
I smell fear. evil face

that's fresh canadian bacon--smurph's always cookin! wink

Omega Vision
so, let's see . . . comes in late for teh drafts AND pokes fun at canadians, eh?

yeah, i don't like his odds . . .
That's cuz I'm the late-show badboy wearing the leather jacket. stick out tongue

leonidas
teams thus far:

cdb--m, charcoal, black canary
smurph--cyclops, ironfist, logan
omega--deathstroke, cage, mr terrific
gundam--mysterio, jonas harrow, punisher

waiting on:

bw--judomaster

once bw gets his picks to me, i'll let everyone know the schedule and the battlefields.

Omega Vision

the battlefields.
I know its a long-shot but I'm hoping for Mister Terrific's laboratory. stoned

leonidas
for making me laugh i'll consider it.

considered it.

no. how's that anti-canadian sentiment working out for you now . . . no expression

Digi
It's going to be fairly standard battlefields, guys. Leo's stated numerous times that he wants this to be about debate, not gimmicks. And I've had my fill of researching insane battlefields for one lifetime, so my vote is for a rotation of New York City, a sparsely-wooded field, and an indestructible dome.

Omega Vision
for making me laugh i'll consider it.

considered it.

no. how's that anti-canadian sentiment working out for you now . . . no expression
sad

leonidas
It's going to be fairly standard battlefields, guys. Leo's stated numerous times that he wants this to be about debate, not gimmicks. And I've had my fill of researching insane battlefields for one lifetime, so my vote is for a rotation of New York City, a sparsely-wooded field, and an indestructible dome.

pretty much.

batdude123

Delph called out.

psycho gundam
indestructible dome. no dome. not saying who (it's obvious as shit though) would hilariously benefit from that almost to the point of insta-win, but it's bad all around.

Digi
no dome. not saying who (it's obvious as shit though) would hilariously benefit from that almost to the point of insta-win, but it's bad all around.

Agreed. Hadn't given it any thought. But the point was, battlefields that don't convey much advantage one way or another. I'm sure leo will be fine with it.

Blair Wind
Sorry this took me so long. But I have to say, thanks Digi. I think I ended up the better for it smile

Judomaster -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judomaster

Victor Mancha -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Mancha

Noh-Varr -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

leonidas
Sorry this took me so long. But I have to say, thanks Digi. I think I ended up the better for it smile

Judomaster -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judomaster

Victor Mancha -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Mancha

Noh-Varr -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

thumb up

leonidas
POOL A:

1. smurph
2. cdb
3. omega

POOL B:

1. bw
2. digi
3. gundam

i'd like to get matches started on TUES evening, 5EST. 8 posts/competitor and all matches will close on FRI midnight. that will be the general format throughout, barring complications.

schedule as follows:

week 1: 1 vs 3 (both pools always)
week 2: 2 vs 3
week 3: 1 vs 2

week 4: 1 vs 2 x-overs
week 5: finals

8 posts/competitor. opening post will NOT count as a post UNLESS it exceeds a single post in length.

battlefield for week 1--both pools same battlefield:

post-apocalyptic new york city--city is partially overgrown with wildlife and most of the city is in ruins. no life besides plant-life anywhere in the area.

prep area=unbreakable, opaque domes in what is left of central park. start 1km apart, 10secs prep.

anything else anyone needs to know?

Blanket
I am surprised no one drafted...

I'll say the three after the first round begins. smile

-K-M-
Ash Ketchum?

Original Smurph
Originally posted by Blanket
I am surprised no one drafted...

I'll say the three after the first round begins. smile We're not allowed to redraft now regardless.

Blair Wind
Hey Gundam, what version of Punisher?

Blanket
We're not allowed to redraft now regardless. I thought you were allowed to redraft at the first round, or around there?

Originally posted by -K-M-
Ash Ketchum? He would have had Pikachu spam thunder.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by Blanket
I thought you were allowed to redraft at the first round, or around there? Oh, yeah, well, eventually. Three weeks from now we can repick. By which point everybody will likely have thought multiple times about whoever it is that you're thinking of.

srug

Blanket
Whatever.

I was thinking Multiple Man, Quicksilver, and Wolverine (which you have anyway).
MM's probably banned though.

srug

Original Smurph
Which obviously makes me the best.

I gotz Clawz.

Starscream M
I can't believe wolverine's allowed...that's ridiculous.

Martian_mind
I would have thought that Butterball would have been drafted.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>