why cant they stick to 2 hours ??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Alot of new movies made today are over 2 hours long it really puts me off. Back in those days good films where made in less then two hours e.g Batman (1989)

Anyone else hate long films ????

Mindship
Unless the film is really good, for me 90 minutes will do, especially if I can get in for matinee prices.

The Nuul
It depends on the movie, a good well written and directed movie can make the best out of its time....or a shitty written and directed movie, makes the worst of it.

coolmovies
even a 90 minutes movie can turn out crap

MildPossession
I'm not bothered, if a film is good I never notice the time frame.

I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last year, and it's about 153-170ish minutes long, after it finished, for some reason I was wondering that was a short film...

Menetnashté
I prefer a long movie. I'm paying 10 f'ing dollars to see it. Also might I point out the irony of the person with a lotr avatar making this thread,

BruceSkywalker
I couldn't care less if a movie is 2 minutes or 2 hours as long as I enjoy it

The Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm not bothered, if a film is good I never notice the time frame.

Aye.

Moscow
Originally posted by coolmovies
Alot of new movies made today are over 2 hours long it really puts me off. Back in those days good films where made in less then two hours e.g Batman (1989)

Long movies like the Titanic or Avatar really suck. But the Godfather was a great flick over 2 hours. Gone with the Wind, a really long one, is worth the time and investment. The Lord of the Rings could not possibly be completed in under 2 hours, and Jackson actually left some good things out of it entirely.

I love long movies, but the director has to be a competent composer, and all the actors have to be perfectly in tune with their roles in order for it to be pulled off.

Nothing's worse than sitting through a 2+hour load of dreck that you wouldn't want to touch with a 10-ft pole

Ultraviolence

I don't care if it's short or long as long as it's a quality film.

Impediment
It kills me that people can sit through a banal 4 hour football game, but can't sit through a 2 1/2 to 3 hour film.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
It kills me that people can sit through a banal 4 hour football game, but can't sit through a 2 1/2 to 3 hour film.

Word.

H. S. 6
If the movie's good, it's good no matter what the length is. That being said, when I see a movie is around 90 minutes, I'm usually hesitant; I'd rather a movie be at least 2 hours.

NemeBro

SnakeEyes
I don't think this topic is gonna go anywhere. I think everyone can agree with what's already been posted - if it's good, it doesn't matter how long it is. Quality is quality. And shit is shit. Long shit, short shit, doesn't matter.

Anyway, some films are dense and require a long running time to tell the story. It's necessary for films like The Godfather, etc.

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by Impediment

Yeah, but there are commercial breaks during football games, not to mention half time where one can go take a shit, or cook some hot wings, or go take a piss or a crap, oh I already said take a shit, my bad.

Blinky
I don't mind watching a long movie as long as I enjoy it, obviously. Some long movies are so good they seems short.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On that note, there is one thing I don't get about long/epic modern films... why don't they have intermission? I love the old idea of intermissions... they give me time to get more snacks, stretch, take a shit, etc. Seems like old films got it right. Some director should bring back the intermission with a vengence.

Mr Parker

Yeah,I notice a lot of movies these days are over 2 hours like 2 hours and 15 minutes or so which is kinda annoying but theres some such as The Dark Knight that are so great I dont mind it then or like with JFK and Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner,that have very important documented facts in them,that sometimes like in those cases,its worth the almost 3 hours or so cause the facts of the cases are so incredibly interesting.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by The Nuul
It depends on the movie, a good well written and directed movie can make the best out of its time....or a shitty written and directed movie, makes the worst of it.

yeah very true.

K.Diddy
even a 90 minutes movie can turn out crap

no expression wow,Really? I thought every movie that went for 90 minutes was a blockbuster

§P0oONY
I prefer a film that is shorter. A hell of a lot of long films really suffer from their running time, granted there are a lot of films that need the 3 hours but there are plenty that really don't.

If a film sucks it sucks... and I'd rather sit through 90 mins of shit than 180.

Not to mention that I can never get comfortable in cinema seats.

marwash22
I love long movies when I'm into the subject matter. Didn't mind the length of Watchmen or the LOTR movies and i was kinda disappointed when i heard Avatar was only going to be 90 minutes.

§P0oONY
Avatar was 160mins... no expression

K.Diddy
Originally posted by marwash22
i was kinda disappointed when i heard Avatar was only going to be 90 minutes.

ban

marwash22
guys, I'm talking about the airbending Avatar.

§P0oONY
guys, I'm talking about the airbending Avatar. You might want to specify in the future... Because you know... There was a big blockbuster called Avatar...

no expression

Bardock42

Scythe
I like it when a movie is 2hrs or more. It makes me feel like I got my moneys worth. especially if it's a film that is very good.

marwash22

Rogue Jedi
If the movie is good for the entire two plus hours, I'm all for it.

BruceSkywalker
don't really care how long a movie is as long as i enjoy it

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Bardock42
Real Avatar was here first. Also had an original story. Well, that's a point that means absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter which came first... Or what their respective storylines are.

erm i thought it was obvious seeing as i was speaking in future tense. But yeah, I'll keep it in mind. ... You didn't speak in the future tense.... no expression

marwash22

§P0oONY
It's amusing that you're calling me slow when you can't seem to understand the future tense.

"i was kinda disappointed" <-- Not future tense.

chomperx9

Anyone else hate long films ???? because back in those 2 says yould barely fit over 2 hours on vhs.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Bardock42
Real Avatar was here first. Also had an original story. **** yeah!

Dancing With Smurfs can rot in a lake.

roughrider
I guess you can't sit through the grandeur of films by David Lean - The Bridge On The River Kwai(1957 - 3 hours), Lawrence Of Arabia (1962 - 3.5 hours)
The Best of Steven Spielberg - Schindler's List (1993 - 3 hours), Saving Private Ryan (1998 - 3 hours)
The Lord Of The Rings series - each between 3-4 hours.

They haven't made a practice of having intermissions for longer films since 1985, with 2.5 hour long films like Out Of Africa and The Color Purple. Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (1996) was the last example I know of; that was because it was four hours.

RE: Blaxican
There was an intermission for Pearl Harbor, I remember.

Darth Martin
If the movie is enjoyable it shouldn't really matter. The really great films have a way of making you NOT want them to end. This is what I felt when watching films like The Godfather and The Dark Knight.

Saving Private Ryan is an example of a film that could have alot cut out.

marwash22
^ exactly.

If TDK was an extra 30 minutes, that would have been fine by me.

ADarksideJedi
It depends on me if the firm is good then I don't mind but if it is long and boring then I just want to leave.I think most movies should be two hours and that is about it.
Not including the harry potter firms however. cool

K.Diddy
Whatever, guy. next time I'll be sure to write 'the last airbender' so the slow people don't get confused.

no expression Thanks,good idea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.