Immortality Vs Invincibility

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
which would you have.

AsbestosFlaygon
If by invincibility, you mean total invulnerability to all forms of pain ala Juggernaut, then I choose that.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
If by invincibility, you mean total invulnerability to all forms of pain ala Juggernaut, then I choose that. but you will die of age.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
but you will die of age.
Does Juggernaut age?

Digi
Does Juggernaut age?

The thread isn't immortality vs. Juggernaut. You can't have both.

stick out tongue

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Digi
The thread isn't immortality vs. Juggernaut. You can't have both.

stick out tongue
That is why I asked this:

If by invincibility, you mean total invulnerability to all forms of pain ala Juggernaut, then I choose that.

And yes, if he does mean that, then I do get both ahah

Digi
And yes, if he does mean that, then I do get both ahah

A bit of applied reason should inform us that he does not. If we could choose both, there would be no point to the thread, as there would be no conflict or decision to be made.

ahah

stick out tongue

Parmaniac
Immortality can be a curse, you still live after all your friends and family members died and let's go the whole way of immortality you will see the sun die and all other stars and will be damned to exist in eternal darkness.

Omega Vision
See the problem I've always had with invulnerability is that as well as preventing you from feeling pain and extreme temperatures it would also leave you unable to sense pleasant things like a handshake or a kiss since the same general sensory receptors are used to interpret those stimuli.

As for immortality I'd ask which kind. Biological or total? Total WOULD SUCK. Biological immortality (never dying of old age but still mortal to things like decapitation and complete dismemberment) is a lot better IMO.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Omega Vision
See the problem I've always had with invulnerability is that as well as preventing you from feeling pain and extreme temperatures it would also leave you unable to sense pleasant things like a handshake or a kiss since the same general sensory receptors are used to interpret those stimuli.

As for immortality I'd ask which kind. Biological or total? Total WOULD SUCK. Biological immortality (never dying of old age but still mortal to things like decapitation and complete dismemberment) is a lot better IMO.

well total immortal would mean you are invinciable as well.
so you live forever and is ammune to disease and toxins and aging affects, but you "can" be killed.
invincibility mean you cannot be killed but will die of old age.

just like the olympion gods. they all are immortal which means they live forever if they arent killed.

geshien
Shouldn't this be in the OT?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by geshien
Shouldn't this be in the OT? well i was origionally asking which would you have in marvel, but you can also pick which would you have in the real world

illadelph12
I'd choose immortality. You can find more people to love, and time heals emotional wounds. You may even live long enough for humanity to get our heads out of our asses and act for the collective good rather than this culture of exploitation and greed. Maybe advance technologically and colonize other planets a la Star Trek (wishful, though highly unlikely, thinking).

At worst you could travel the world and live multiple lives until the bombs drop.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by illadelph12
I'd choose immortality. You can find more people to love, and time heals emotional wounds. You may even live long enough for humanity to get our heads out of our asses and act for the collective good rather than this culture of exploitation and greed. Maybe advance technologically and colonize other planets a la Star Trek (wishful, though highly unlikely, thinking).

At worst you could travel the world and live multiple lives until the bombs drop.
Or until the Quickening.

Lord_Talron
invincibility would "realistically" make you immune to aging as aging is a decaying process coupled with a wearing down of your body.

more OT: id rather be immortal, because i want to be able to see future inventions. once id gotten bored with life id kill myself in an awesome way

Parmaniac
With invincibility you could freeze yourself for 100 or 200 years stick out tongue

Lord_Talron
but id miss all the tech advances inbetween, and thats what i want to see big grin

Wild Shadow
i want immortality!!! it be cool as hell..

Knowsbleed33
Being invincible should make you immune to the ravages of time. After all, aging is an attack on the body.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
Being invincible should make you immune to the ravages of time. After all, aging is an attack on the body. Originally posted by Digi
A bit of applied reason should inform us that he does not. If we could choose both, there would be no point to the thread, as there would be no conflict or decision to be made.

Omega Vision
Being invincible should make you immune to the ravages of time. After all, aging is an attack on the body.
It would also make you immune to your lover's touch.

Knowsbleed33
I saw that, thanks. I was giving an opinion that was OT.

Omega Vision
I saw that, thanks. I was giving an opinion that was OT.
K.

Knowsbleed33
K.

That wasn't directed at you.

Omega Vision
That wasn't directed at you.
Alright. The lack of quotes made that hard to tell.

Parmaniac
That wasn't directed at you. K

stick out tongue

Knowsbleed33
Alright. The lack of quotes made that hard to tell.

Kiss me you fool.

It would also make you immune to your lover's touch.

not necessarily, immunity to pain might just nullify nociception or the sensation of disconfort generated in the brain, not the other forms of touch perception

I would take immortality if I could give it up voluntarilly, otherwise invulnerabilty

Omega Vision
Originally posted by 753
not necessarily, immunity to pain might just nullify nociception or the sensation of disconfort generated in the brain, not the other forms of touch perception

I would take immortality if I could give it up voluntarilly, otherwise invulnerabilty
Right but there's more than just immunity to pain. I look at Superman, someone who can literally bathe in the sun's plasma without much if any discomfort and yet can somehow feel Lois's warmth. He can't feel a grenade exploding next to him yet when people tap him on the shoulder he can feel that clearly. It doesn't add up.

Right but there's more than just immunity to pain. I look at Superman, someone who can literally bathe in the sun's plasma without much if any discomfort and yet can somehow feel Lois's warmth. He can't feel a grenade exploding next to him yet when people tap him on the shoulder he can feel that clearly. It doesn't add up.

intensity of sensorial perception is logarithmic in nature: a 1000 fold increase in the intensity of the stimulus (sound potency), for instance, only causes a 10 fold increase in the intensity of the perceived sensation (perceived sound volume) - this is a real biological property of living organisms. SM's senses can make sense simply by operating the same way over a wider spectrum of stimuli

StiltmanFTW
Invincibility.

Lord_Talron
Right but there's more than just immunity to pain. I look at Superman, someone who can literally bathe in the sun's plasma without much if any discomfort and yet can somehow feel Lois's warmth. He can't feel a grenade exploding next to him yet when people tap him on the shoulder he can feel that clearly. It doesn't add up. yes it does. your pain sensors are completely isolated from your touch receptors. it is entirely possible to feel no pain but be able to sense someone touching you

Parmaniac
OK here's another one, what would his mitochondriums do? smile

Originally posted by Parmaniac
OK here's another one, what would his mitochondriums do? smile

they use the force to eat gravity so he can fly

geshien
Kiss me you fool.

Ha.

Colossus-Big C
how about sex, do you think a person with immunity to pain can fell sex?

Lord_Talron
how about sex, do you think a person with immunity to pain can fell sex? unless pain is what makes you get off, no. as ive already stated, you have BOTH pain receptors and touch receptors; they are two different things

Wild Shadow
i though they were the same exact thing but at different lvls of stimuli not two separate nerve endings..

Original Smurph
Nocireceptors (pain receptors) are different entities from Mechano, Thermo and Chemo receptors. Your pain receptors could plausibly work differently while the others remain normal.

Wild Shadow
i'll wiki it soon not that i dont trust you.

Lord_Talron
i took intro to anatomy and physiology last semester and i asked a question specifically about pain receptors. smurph is correct

Galan007
What kind of immortality would we be gaining?

a.) Eternal youth - You can still be killed by conventional means, but you will never age.

b.) Highlander immortality - You can heal from almost any type of injury, but decapitation will kill you.

c.) True immortality - There is absolutely no way you can die (ie. Mr. Immortal.)

?

If it's types a or b, I'd side with invincibility. If it's type c, I'd side with immortality.

Battlehammer
which would you have.
one has baring in a forum standard match the other does not.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by illadelph12
You can find more people to love, and time heals emotional wounds. You may even live long enough for humanity to get our heads out of our asses and act for the collective good rather than this culture of exploitation and greed. Maybe advance technologically and colonize other planets a la Star Trek (wishful, though highly unlikely, thinking)
This has tempted me to choose immortality.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Galan007
What kind of immortality would we be gaining?

a.) Eternal youth - You can still be killed by conventional means, but you will never age.

b.) Highlander immortality - You can heal from almost any type of injury, but decapitation will kill you.

c.) True immortality - There is absolutely no way you can die (ie. Mr. Immortal.)

?

If it's types a or b, I'd side with invincibility. If it's type c, I'd side with immortality. isnt C the same as being invincible?

by the way its B.

Galan007
isnt C the same as being invincible?

by the way its B. No. For instance - despite Mr. Immortal's true immortality, he can be 'harmed' just as easily as a normal human being. Granted he swiftly recovers, but the fact remains that he can still sustain initial injuries. Whereas an invincible/invulnerable character like Juggernaut or Superman, can't be harmed by conventional means at all.

Highlander immortality? That's shitty. You can be decapitated so many 'easy' ways that it's not even funny. Low speed car accidents, for example.

Battlehammer

Highlander immortality? That's shitty. You can be decapitated so many 'easy' ways that it's not even funny. Low speed car accidents, for example.
No that bad though if your given all of there powers. There immortality grants them superhuman stats in every area which only increase with age and kills.

Colossus-Big C
No. For instance - despite Mr. Immortal's true immortality, he can be 'harmed' just as easily as a normal human being. Granted he swiftly recovers, but the fact remains that he can still sustain initial injuries. Whereas an invincible/invulnerable character like Juggernaut or Superman, can't be harmed by conventional means at all.

Highlander immortality? That's shitty. You can be decapitated so many 'easy' ways that it's not even funny. Low speed car accidents, for example. but here you will still die of old age with invincibility.

Omega Vision
No. For instance - despite Mr. Immortal's true immortality, he can be 'harmed' just as easily as a normal human being. Granted he swiftly recovers, but the fact remains that he can still sustain initial injuries. Whereas an invincible/invulnerable character like Juggernaut or Superman, can't be harmed by conventional means at all.

Would you really want true immortality though? How do you know you'll still be happy with your life a thousand years down the road?

Galan007
Originally posted by Battlehammer
No that bad though if your given all of there powers. There immortality grants them superhuman stats in every area which only increase with age and kills. I was not under the impression that there would be other 'Highlander-immortals' running around, waiting for me to chop off their heads and steal their quickening.

but here you will still die of old age with invincibility. Being completely invulnerable for the rest of my life appeals to me more than being in a constant state of "this might decapitate me" paranoia, for who knows how long.

Lord_Talron
id choose 'a' from that list, i want the option to die if i want to

Galan007
Would you really want true immortality though? How do you know you'll still be happy with your life a thousand years down the road? How do I know I won't be happy with my life?

Lord_Talron
How do I know I won't be happy with my life? boredom after living forever?

Omega Vision
How do I know I won't be happy with my life?
I think all immortality should have a way out, an exit if you choose. Being trapped in your life forever can potentially be a living hell. So I think Highlander Immortality is the way to go.

Galan007
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
boredom after living forever? I think I would personally run through the same emotions that Bill Murray did in "Groundhog Day."

1.) The Holy crap/WTF factor that I cannot die.
2.) The sadness brought on by seeing those you care about die while you live.
3.) Then there'd be a loony phase, where I probably wouldn't want to live anymore.
4.) Finally, I'd become content in the fact that I was going to live forever, and try to better myself (and others) in any way(s) I could.

Black bolt z
Right but there's more than just immunity to pain. I look at Superman, someone who can literally bathe in the sun's plasma without much if any discomfort and yet can somehow feel Lois's warmth. He can't feel a grenade exploding next to him yet when people tap him on the shoulder he can feel that clearly. It doesn't add up. Also it never says he doesn't feel it.It may just effect him so littley(if thats a real word)that he feels is but he doesn't pay attention to it.Like he might also feel a tap on the shoulder but acctually pay attention to that.

I also agree with omega.Living forever can be a hell.I would however choose immortality if I could live for however long I wanted then when i got tired of life I could choose to die.
Then again a bad side for immortality is that if you live like 150 years the government would kidnap you and interrogate/torture you to try to find out how you lived.

Lord_Talron
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Also it never says he doesn't feel it.It may just effect him so littley(if thats a real word)that he feels is but he doesn't pay attention to it.Like he might also feel a tap on the shoulder but acctually pay attention to that. we've already established why. its because your pain receptors are independent of your touch, taste, smell, photo receptors. it is entirely feasible to not feel any pain but be able to sense less than pain or vice versa

Colossus-Big C
Also it never says he doesn't feel it.It may just effect him so littley(if thats a real word)that he feels is but he doesn't pay attention to it.Like he might also feel a tap on the shoulder but acctually pay attention to that.

I also agree with omega.Living forever can be a hell.I would however choose immortality if I could live for however long I wanted then when i got tired of life I could choose to die.
Then again a bad side for immortality is that if you live like 150 years the government would kidnap you and interrogate/torture you to try to find out how you lived. a chinese guy has lived up to 110 years old.

Omega Vision
a chinese guy has lived up to 110 years old.
He was Japanese. And he was something like 114 IIRC.

Lord_Talron
i think the world record is in the 120s? not sure tho...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
i think the world record is in the 120s? not sure tho...
I think there was a French woman who died at the age of 122 but I'm not certain.

Lord_Talron
i think i remember that

Black bolt z
Yeah I know the world record of human age is 122.Thats why people would freak once you exceeded that by like 20 years.

Colossus-Big C
i wouldnt want to live that long, people at these ages are usually very fragile, in pain and cant use the bathroom on there own.

Black bolt z
i wouldnt want to live that long, people at these ages are usually very fragile, in pain and cant use the bathroom on there own. Thats why they have criminals sentenced to community service help them pee.

Parmaniac
Yeah awesome let criminals take care of people that aren't able to defend themselfs laughing out loud

Black bolt z
Yeah awesome let criminals take care of people that aren't able to defend themselfs laughing out loud Thats what acctually happens lol...

Parmaniac
Thats what acctually happens lol... I thought so, it's pretty sad that criminals do the job that should be done by qualified personal.

Black bolt z
I thought so, it's pretty sad that criminals do the job that should be done by qualified personal. Hey that way the convicts are paying their debt to old ladies and not getting paid when another person would for doing it.

So it generates unemployment too

r0nm0n88
its more or less for the seniors who cant afford help.
so it doesnt really generate unemployment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.