Plinkett Reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo_Version 7
Any fans on KMC? I think his reviews are not only thought-provoking but hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-isAmaVbsM&feature=related

sweersa
No.

queeq
Not only is it funny... in most cases it's right on the button.

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
Not only is it funny... in most cases it's right on the button.

I find it quite boring and tasteless personally. Of course I am bias though.

queeq
Oh come on... the basement joke was funny.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by sweersa
I find it quite boring and tasteless personally. Of course I am bias though.

That's because you LOVE the prequel trilogy, aka the worst movies in the saga. And that's even if you count the Ewok movies!

I loved the Plinkett reviews, I knew there were reasons that I hated those movies beyond just how the look doesn't match my views of Star Wars, but I couldn't put it into words, this guy got it right on the money.

queeq
The reviews on www.confusedmatthew.com make a similar analysis. Just as good, a bit less extensive though.

sweersa
Originally posted by LanceWindu
That's because you LOVE the prequel trilogy

True, and I don't mind people making fun of them, I even do it, But the way this guys sounds just seems so lame to be and not very uplifting.

Neo_Version 7
The reviews on www.confusedmatthew.com make a similar analysis. Just as good, a bit less extensive though.

I find him rather pompous and grating but he does make some interesting observations.

LanceWindu

I loved how in depth he went. It was eye-opening.

Originally posted by sweersa
True, and I don't mind people making fun of them, I even do it, But the way this guys sounds just seems so lame to be and not very uplifting.

It's him playing a character while giving the review. If you pay attention he's portraying a drunk psychopath with a love for pizza rolls. It's actually very humorous as you listen to his side story.

queeq
Exactly.

Sith Master X
I don't know whether the guy is making fun of Star Wars just for the fun of it, or because he hates Lucas.

Needless to say, parts of it are funny. The parts that depict Lucas not giving a crap about his work I disagree with. "The work that Lucas would eventually take credit for" Well yeah....it's his work and his creation. He spent 18 hour days for 10+ years overseeing every aspect of his films. Who's supposed to take credit for it? Us? lol

Seriously....who gives a crap about Jackson being in Star Wars? People act like there's all these hidden agendas behind it, like some dark secret undertone that makes Lucas an evil greedy person. He was cast because they thought he bring something to the character. Obviously it didn't work out. Oh well. Life moves on. Lucas lives another day. But it was just a casting decision, nothing more than that.

Oh yeah, I can just see this one too. LUCAS: Hey, Rick....I had an idea. You think we should make all the aliens in this movie look Asian to appeal to a wider audience? RICK: Super duper idea George! We'll see what the budget holds for us.

Get my drift? Society is conforming into a major bunch of people who are reading into context that isn't there.

Plus...on another note, not all was bad about the prequels. Episode III was better than one of the original movies.....as shockingly horrible as it may be to for some to admit it.

The OT was placed on such a pedistal that I don't care what happened, it was bound to fail because it wasn't going to be the same.

queeq
Ah, but there are some major problems with the PT. Plinkett points that out in, yes, a very denigrating way... But he does make some strong points. Storytelling flaws in the PT that weren't there in the OT. Confused Matthew put it like this: things happen, characters do things because the plot requires them to. And that's right on the button.

My two main gripes with the PT are this:
1. The love story between Anakin and Padme.
It's crucial to the entire saga, yet it is crap. Ask yourself the question: why does Padme fall in love with Anakin? I can't see any reason. Anakin is an arrogant, childish, whiny prat and Padme is the adult, committed senator. The two don't match. The movie doesn't give us any reason why she sould fall in love with him. The movie does give us a lot of reason why she SHOULDN'T fall in love with him. So why does she fall in love with him? Not because of some spark in Anakin, not because of some motivation in her... no, she falls in love with him because the plot requires her to. That is bad storytelling.

2. Anakin's fall to the dark side
Why does he fall? He was always a darkside prat, there doesn't seem much to fall in the first place. But in ROTS the entire build up to his fall is completely incredible. First he goes to face Sidious and wants to kill him, then he turns him in, then he goes after Mace and cuts of his hand, he falls down and whines "What have I done?" and then submits to Sidious.... WTF????? So why does he fall? Because the plot requires him to.

Frankly, the OT didn't have such situations why people do things JUST because the plot requires them to. We get it, we understand their choices. Why does Luke go to Bespin? Because we have seen he cares about his friends and vice versa. It is wise? No. Is it understandable? Yes. The only OT gripe is why Solo and Leia had to fall in love, but then again... it was rather clear they had the hots for each other in ESB... so even though crappily done, we do get it.

And that's basically what Plinkett points out in great detail: why does all this happen (because the plot requires them to) and why don't we give a sh!t (because there's no decent motivation in the characters for their actions)?

Sith Master X
I hear ya Queeq, I really do. The PT is not perfect by any means I know that.

You make great points about the love story and people doing things because the plot requires them to. That's been one of my big things about the prequels....things forced into the plot because the back of a toy box said something 30 years ago....

I just think at the same time that there's a lot of people who read into things that aren't there. For examle, all the hopeless people out there who read into Mace having a purple Lightsaber "I think LUCAS is trying to tell us something about mace.....Blue and Red= Purple. I think Mace is a cross between the light side and the dark side." Ya know? lol Just a ridiculous example to toss around out there to show what I'm getting at. People read into everything it's crazy. 99 percent of the time, there's no evil agedna behind anything.

It's funny that the guy pointed out the aliens looking like Asians...but yeah...it wasn't part of George's evil plan for world domination.

Hope that makes sense. smile

sweersa
Ah, but there are some major problems with the PT. Plinkett points that out in, yes, a very denigrating way... But he does make some strong points. Storytelling flaws in the PT that weren't there in the OT. Confused Matthew put it like this: things happen, characters do things because the plot requires them to. And that's right on the button.

My two main gripes with the PT are this:
1. The love story between Anakin and Padme.
It's crucial to the entire saga, yet it is crap. Ask yourself the question: why does Padme fall in love with Anakin? I can't see any reason. Anakin is an arrogant, childish, whiny prat and Padme is the adult, committed senator. The two don't match. The movie doesn't give us any reason why she sould fall in love with him. The movie does give us a lot of reason why she SHOULDN'T fall in love with him. So why does she fall in love with him? Not because of some spark in Anakin, not because of some motivation in her... no, she falls in love with him because the plot requires her to. That is bad storytelling.

2. Anakin's fall to the dark side
Why does he fall? He was always a darkside prat, there doesn't seem much to fall in the first place. But in ROTS the entire build up to his fall is completely incredible. First he goes to face Sidious and wants to kill him, then he turns him in, then he goes after Mace and cuts of his hand, he falls down and whines "What have I done?" and then submits to Sidious.... WTF????? So why does he fall? Because the plot requires him to.

Frankly, the OT didn't have such situations why people do things JUST because the plot requires them to. We get it, we understand their choices. Why does Luke go to Bespin? Because we have seen he cares about his friends and vice versa. It is wise? No. Is it understandable? Yes. The only OT gripe is why Solo and Leia had to fall in love, but then again... it was rather clear they had the hots for each other in ESB... so even though crappily done, we do get it.

And that's basically what Plinkett points out in great detail: why does all this happen (because the plot requires them to) and why don't we give a sh!t (because there's no decent motivation in the characters for their actions)?

I felt Padme fell in love with Anakin because he is a real package. She is a senator but Anakin is a Jedi, he is a handsome package with a lightsaber. In Episode I she knows what kind of a man (or kid) Anakin is and how big of a heart he has after all what he did for her.

As for the turning to the Darkside thing, Anakin felt that Palpatine was his loves only hope, therefore he had to live, after he killed Mace it isn't like he is going to continue on the road of being a Jedi, he had to change, and change fast. Plus Sidious promised him the secret to safe his wife, whom he loved very much. Anakin let his emotions get the best of him, because he is Sith material, and the Jedi order was holding all the secrets from him.

Sith Master X
I get Anakin's turn to the dark side, but I always felt it was rushed...

And he turned to the dark side simply based on the fact that he was having "nightmares" about Padme. Yeah....could have been a little better than that.

It doesn't take away my love for Episode III or the prequels, but it wasn't one of the better aspects of it.

LanceWindu
You understand how Anakin and Padme ended up married? How?! Plinkett hit the nail on the head with their relationship. Such wooden dialogue and rushed and contradicted everything that should have happened, according to what we had previously seen.

She doesn't like him as anything more than that little kid she hasn't seen for 10 years, and then suddenly when they are on Naboo they are lovers after a quick of frolicking in the meadows.

The entire relationship was creepy to me, Anakin was acting like a registered sex offender the entire time.

Sith Master X
Oh well. I still love the Prequels, and I'll stand by that till the day I die.

It made me feel like a kid again every time I watched them. The thing with Lucas is the fact that he can admit his mistakes. He has come out and admitted many times that he struggles with dialogue. So what? We are all human, we all have our flaws, and we all have our strengths. Lucas is weak on dialogue, but he is master storyteller through the art of visuals.

At the end of the day, it's just a movie. Nothing to get all worked up over and create a video series mocking something that holds somebody reading into a bunch of uncessary context that doesn't exist.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Oh well. I still love the Prequels, and I'll stand by that till the day I die.

It made me feel like a kid again every time I watched them. The thing with Lucas is the fact that he can admit his mistakes. He has come out and admitted many times that he struggles with dialogue. So what? We are all human, we all have our flaws, and we all have our strengths. Lucas is weak on dialogue, but he is master storyteller through the art of visuals.

At the end of the day, it's just a movie. Nothing to get all worked up over and create a video series mocking something that holds somebody reading into a bunch of uncessary context that doesn't exist.

That's where he failed the PT! He is terrible with dialogue and he readily admits this, yet he didn't bring anyone else in to do a treatment to his script and make it so much more? He should have passed the reins on to someone who could take his core story and turn it into a master piece.

queeq
Indeed.

And Sweers... I like your defence of the PT. But to me it doesn't stick. All the things you mention are explanations of the intellect. You sum up the reasons from a cerebral, intellectual concept. And the PT certainly had that. But George forgot one thing: to make us feel and experience it. Movie are not about explaining things, they are about experiencing them and understanding them because of the experience. All we get is the construct and the plot, but we don't get much life in there.

Oh, and did I mention I so totally hate those big a$$ed Shaaks? Who can fall in love with such ridiculous creatures farting around you? wink

LanceWindu
Speaking of Shaaks...

Why did he name them that when he already had a character named Shaak Ti? Running out of nouns in the Star Wars universe?

queeq
Why did he invent them at all... ?

LanceWindu
That too...

I can understand a little bit, he wanted something to seem familiar but alien. So he made a space cow. sick

sweersa
Indeed.

And Sweers... I like your defence of the PT. But to me it doesn't stick. All the things you mention are explanations of the intellect. You sum up the reasons from a cerebral, intellectual concept. And the PT certainly had that. But George forgot one thing: to make us feel and experience it. Movie are not about explaining things, they are about experiencing them and understanding them because of the experience. All we get is the construct and the plot, but we don't get much life in there.

Oh, and did I mention I so totally hate those big a$$ed Shaaks? Who can fall in love with such ridiculous creatures farting around you? wink

I see what you mean, and thank you. I have an explanation for the large rump cows. It is because when the Naboo guys got they went over and with the animals many times in the on a nightly basis.

queeq
Why didn't put George that in?! It would certainly have been a super hit.

One Free Man
best reviews ever... nailed it.

Sith Master X
Really, he nailed it?

In that case, everyone must have jumped on the Darth Maul bandwagon, cause last time I knew, everyone thought Darth Maul was awesome....yet this guys refers to him as a "homosexual" I believe, because apparently Lucas thought it would be appealing to make people believe that one of his bad guys is gay.

I think I'll ruin the rest of my night by watching a Michael Bay movie....yeah, Transformers....that sophisticated plot movie that is definitely not driven by explosions every other second. smile

LanceWindu
Really, he nailed it?

In that case, everyone must have jumped on the Darth Maul bandwagon, cause last time I knew, everyone thought Darth Maul was awesome....yet this guys refers to him as a "homosexual" I believe, because apparently Lucas thought it would be appealing to make people believe that one of his bad guys is gay.

I think I'll ruin the rest of my night by watching a Michael Bay movie....yeah, Transformers....that sophisticated plot movie that is definitely not driven by explosions every other second. smile

That part was a throwaway joke and he edited the video to match it. Not everything in the video is a part of his review.

I believe One Free Man was agreeing with the overall review. stick out tongue

queeq
Michael Bay... that's rather drastic isn't it? Couldn't you just get drunk?

Sith Master X
I've been drunk once before....didn't really like what came afterward. lol

Got nothing against Michael Bay, but his movies are always so popular and when you break it down....the guy has a fascination for hot woman leaning over motorcycles with explosions....followed by another explosion and then... an explosion within an explosion. There's other directors out there that have flaws besides Lucas. lol

LanceWindu
I've been drunk once before....didn't really like what came afterward. lol

Got nothing against Michael Bay, but his movies are always so popular and when you break it down....the guy has a fascination for hot woman leaning over motorcycles with explosions....followed by another explosion and then... an explosion within an explosion. There's other directors out there that have flaws besides Lucas. lol

I love explosions and hot women leaning over hot cars...I'm a man. Therefore I enjoy watching Michael Bay movies.

queeq
But there's too much of everything... especially explosions.

LanceWindu
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY EXPLOSIONS!

I would love if real life were like this.
jjvQRerJu0g

sweersa
But there's too much of everything... especially explosions.

Yes, but it makes for some good entertainment!

queeq
For some...

Sith Master X
His entire movies are infested with "product placement." Yes.....he loves his product placements.

LanceWindu
Product placement has been around for ages, he's not the first director to do so and he's most likely not even the worst offender.

Without product placement you'd see a bunch of generic products on the shelves in movies.

Sith Master X
I know product placement has been around for ages, but when it comes to movies, I haven't seen a director overkill it more than him.

queeq
Generic products are not the reason why product placement is there. They make you money and movies are expensive. Especially explosions, they are very very expensive. wink

LanceWindu
Generic products are not the reason why product placement is there. They make you money and movies are expensive. Especially explosions, they are very very expensive. wink

I'm not saying generic products are there because they don't WANT product placement. Sometimes it has to be there, you need clearance rights since they are registered trademarks. Without making deals with companies, you have to come up with your own items to fill the shots for scenes.

queeq
Ah yes... that would suck. On the other hand... you can determine the colour pallette.

One Free Man
Really, he nailed it?

I think I'll ruin the rest of my night by watching a Michael Bay movie....yeah, Transformers....that sophisticated plot movie that is definitely not driven by explosions every other second. smile Darth maul's pretty retarded imho, actually. And homosexuals can't be awesome? You homophobic pervert.

I like how he compares two scenes, and "the light-saber is externalizing an internal battle" was a great line. I love how he explained how they ruined the light-saber... and why anikan and padme's romance wasn't as good as Han and Leia's.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by One Free Man
Darth maul's pretty retarded imho, actually. And homosexuals can't be awesome? You homophobic pervert.

I like how he compares two scenes, and "the light-saber is externalizing an internal battle" was a great line. I love how he explained how they ruined the light-saber... and why anikan and padme's romance wasn't as good as Han and Leia's.

Which is why I think he nailed it. Almost every single point he brought up, I agreed with. Lucas turned Star Wars into over-powered wizards constantly using their lightsabers.

One Free Man
Yeah, when really it was a plot device to illustrate the conflict between good and evil within the main characters originally. Especially the final scene where luke chops off vader's hand.

In the pt, no such storyline. It's just another weapon. Like, oh, here comes a rapist. Let me whip out my light-saber from my purse.

LanceWindu
And there were so many parallels to the OT. I can understand having a few and a clever call-back occasionally, but Lucas tried to recreate entire scenes with new characters. The bar scene in Episode II with the bounty hunter getting her arm cut off? Come on.

One Free Man
Yeah. Reasons the scene was good in 4? Luke realizes that the force just might be THE SHIT and obi-wan pretty much demonstrates that a lightsaber can in fact be bad ass.

Reason in 2? none.

queeq
Exactly. PT's cashing in on the OT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.