Why do lightsabers deactivate when you drop them?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord-Sidious1
Sorry, this might already be a question but when I have been watching all the Star Wars movies i have found that to ignite a lightsaber you simply press a button on it. But hen it is knocked out of your hand it magically deactivates. Or during a battle do you have to continuously hold down the button. Which would contradict some lightsaber forms.

Thanks for all the help!

mattatom
Originally posted by Lord-Sidious1
Sorry, this might already be a question but when I have been watching all the Star Wars movies i have found that to ignite a lightsaber you simply press a button on it. But hen it is knocked out of your hand it magically deactivates. Or during a battle do you have to continuously hold down the button. Which would contradict some lightsaber forms.

Thanks for all the help! Some sabers have a sliding switch, some you hold the buttons down, some you press the buttons down for like 2 seconds and they stay ignited until you hold it down for another two seconds, oh and you can hold the button down with the Force smile

KingD19
Like Matt said. Sometimes sabers automatically deactivate if there's no pressure on the handle, each Jedi/Sith likes it different.

MasterAshenVor
It could be touch sensitive. There could be sensors inside the hilt that can detect when the lightsaber enters and leaves your hand. You press the button on the lightsaber igniting it. and when it's knocked out the sensors cut it off as a safety mechanism.

Shoes
Originally posted by mattatom
Some sabers have a sliding switch, some you hold the buttons down, some you press the buttons down for like 2 seconds and they stay ignited until you hold it down for another two seconds, oh and you can hold the button down with the Force smile

Is this real?

mattatom
Originally posted by Shoes
Is this real? To which bit?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by KingD19
Like Matt said. Sometimes sabers automatically deactivate if there's no pressure on the handle, each Jedi/Sith likes it different. Haha ewww gross.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.