Take your pick.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

No End N Site
S'up peeps, I had a discussion the other day about using reviews to purchase one game over another. This is what it's about...

Game "A" is similar to game "B" but you can only afford one. Game A has a 9.2 on a website you trust and on that same website, Game B has a score of 9.5. Game A however, has a score of 9.2 based on 213 reviews and Game B has a score of 9.5 based on 67 reviews.

I was sayin' that I would choose Game A because it has more than twice the reviews and still has a slightly lesser rating than Game B. I am more inclined to believe that people who did not like Game A or wasn't necessarily a fan of it (not biased) reviewed it as well. Such a high score for Game B based off of such few reviews leads me to think that only fans and/or fanbois took the time to review the game.

I know that my above point of view on the subject is not 100% correct 100% of the time but it still seems quite logical to me. What do you all think?

Juk3n
You're eventually going to get both if you're anything like a real gamer, so get either or, or just get the one of the two you've been following for a while. Game B with less reviews could be ' Shadow of the Colossus' or 'Beyond good and evil' or 'Okami' - Fantastic games, but one that you're 'halo' generation would have let pass them by. Because 'game a' had the most reviews?!wtf! facepalm.

ps, buying a game based soley on what other people think is way too lame for me to comment any further on stick out tongue

No End N Site
Originally posted by Juk3n
You're eventually going to get both if you're anything like a real gamer, so get either or, or just get the one of the two you've been following for a while. Game B with less reviews could be ' Shadow of the Colossus' or 'Beyond good and evil' or 'Okami' - Fantastic games, but one that you're 'halo' generation would have let pass them by. Because 'game a' had the most reviews?!wtf! facepalm.

ps, buying a game based soley on what other people think is way too lame for me to comment any further on stick out tongue

I didn't mean that you should always go by reviews. I aint even close to a "Hardcore Gamer" and I know that. I was only askin' a hypothetical question. Like the age old, if you had to buy a game based only on box art, which would you get sorta thing. In actuality, you should always do research before a purchase. But if you could only buy a game based on the numbers, which would it be? And I'm not talkin' about games from 2 entirely different genres that serve 2 different audiences like 'Halo and Shadow of the Colossus. I said "similar" games, like Bayonetta or DMC.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by No End N Site
S'up peeps, I had a discussion the other day about using reviews to purchase one game over another. This is what it's about...

Game "A" is similar to game "B" but you can only afford one. Game A has a 9.2 on a website you trust and on that same website, Game B has a score of 9.5. Game A however, has a score of 9.2 based on 213 reviews and Game B has a score of 9.5 based on 67 reviews.

I was sayin' that I would choose Game A because it has more than twice the reviews and still has a slightly lesser rating than Game B. I am more inclined to believe that people who did not like Game A or wasn't necessarily a fan of it (not biased) reviewed it as well. Such a high score for Game B based off of such few reviews leads me to think that only fans and/or fanbois took the time to review the game.

I know that my above point of view on the subject is not 100% correct 100% of the time but it still seems quite logical to me. What do you all think? It depends on the games, both have good reviews. There is no right or wrong decision.

jinXed by JaNx
You shouldn't rely on "professional" opinions for advice in something like deciding which game to play over another. They're time wasters, it's not that difficult of a decision. Ask yourself which looks and sounds more appealing, regardless of what other people say.

§P0oONY
You shouldn;t totally ignore reviews. Buying a game with out any kind of research is a bit silly. A game can seem interesting but can be terrible. Reading reviews is a good way of finding things out. Obviously you have the right to disagree with reviews you read but they are a useful thing. Metacritic scores are usually pretty fair.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.