Spectacular Spider-Man Canceled! Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon 2011 on Disney XD!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spidermanrocks
I just found this on superhero hype. THIS IS NOT A RUMOUR.

quote:
Marvel has announced that "Ultimate Spider-Man" is coming to Disney XD in the fall of 2011:

The new series will chronicle the adventures of naive high-schooler Peter Parker as he comes to grips with his new powers.

Along with his new powers, the challenge for the young web-slinger in the new series is balancing his relationships with his friends and family and his super colleagues who can help him gain an understanding of his parent's legacy and his destiny.

"'Ultimate Spider-Man' will be a unique journey exploring our favorite web-slinger as he teams up with other fan favorite Marvel Super Heroes in never before seen stories with a new life filled with great challenges, new friends, intense action and character growth," said Eric S. Rollman, President of Marvel Animation.

WHY? Why would you cancel Spectacular Spider-Man? It's the best Spider-Man adaptation so far IMO.

KCJ506
Yep. Read about this yesterday and this pisses me off for a number of reasons

1. I having a feeling the reason they're doing this is because the reboot is supposed to be based off USM.

2. Spectacular Spider-man was the best Spider-man show ever. It had the classic feel and had great plot, action, animation and character development. It excelled on all fronts when all other Spidey shows feel flat at a least one area.

3. We'll never see the cool stuff Greg had planned for season 3 which included Scorpion and Hobgoblin(Who was set up in season 2)

4. They're canceling a perfectly good show just to replace with the essentially the same thing.

spidermanrocks
I can't accept this. TSSM was such a good show. I will not watch a single episode of the new show. I refuse to give it high ratings on tv when it comes out. Well, there is now a 'Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon Protest/Boycott' channel on YouTube. If any of you have a YouTube account, subscribe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpideyInterviews

spidermanrocks
There is also a petition that was created by that same YouTube channel:

http://www.petitiononline.com/91283844/petition.html

spidermanrocks
Also go here:

http://keepspideyalive.ning.com/

Mr. Rhythmic
They didn't say SSM was cancelled just yet. There's only news that a new cartoon will come up. They CAN'T cancel it. I will never support Disney or CW ever again if it's cancelled.
What is the point in this? SSM encompasses everything I've ever wanted in a Spider-Man show. The Ultimate Universe is such a bullshit, stupid, angsty world filled with 'hip' dialogue that'd make even Stan Lee cringe and terrible character ideas that if it was done before the 616-verse, none of the characters we love would've ever been popular.

SamZED
Dear God ultimate Spider-man... Just shoot me right now.

Not surprised though.. They alwasy cancel good stuff...

spidermanrocks
I found another petition. Sign this one too.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ssmseason3

jalek moye
How is ultimate considered unique to thme. It's pretty much literally the same shit as spectacular spider-man only replace gwen and black cat and them with a less interesting then 616 version of shadow cat and a few other teen heroes and watch them talk about wanting to have sex.

mindbomb
this suck ultimate universe is bullshit

SamZED
Why would they even cancel one show about Parker's school years just to make another especially now that SSM is already going and well accepted by the fans?

jalek moye
Originally posted by SamZED
Why would they even cancel one show about Parker's school years just to make another especially now that SSM is already going and well accepted by the fans?

because they like replaying the whole i just got my powers and have so much teen angst thing. And in SSM he was getting over it so it got the can.

plus new movie of highschool means they have to put a new show

spidermanrocks
Originally posted by SamZED

It's not because of poor ratings. The show actually had high ratings. It had one of the highest ratings ever for any Marvel show. This is due to the reboot. Since the Spider-Man live-action movie reboot will be based on Ultimate Spider-Man instead of Amazing Spider-Man, they need an Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon series that will capitalize on the upcoming movies. They can't use Spectacular Spider-Man to do this because Spectacular is closer to Amazing Spider-Man than Ultimate Spider-Man.

As sad as it is, it's the truth: this show is getting canceled because it's staying true to the source material.

KCJ506
Yep, I'm officially blaming Arad and the reboot for this. Why?

- He doesn't force Venom down Raimi's throat.

- No interference Raimi doesn't use Venom in SM3.

- No Venom = much better movie.

- SM3 is good so Raimi makes SM4.

- SM4 means no reboot.

- No reboot = No USM movie.

- No USM movie = No USM cartoon.

- No USM cartoon = Third season of SSM.

BLAST YOU ARAD!

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by jalek moye
How is ultimate considered unique to thme. It's pretty much literally the same shit as spectacular spider-man only replace gwen and black cat and them with a less interesting then 616 version of shadow cat and a few other teen heroes and watch them talk about wanting to have sex.

Ultimate is the 'edgy' bullshit version where they do nothing but add awful cliches and stupid ideas to the story. Spider-Man rogues gallery would be a laughing stock if they were all introduced the Ultimate way. Powerless Kraven? Hulk Green Goblin? Liquid Terminator Dr. Octopus? Bald teenager Electro? Clone Carnage? Serial killer Sandman? Give me a break.

spidermanrocks
Anyone here wants to help me boycott this? I'm being serious.

spidermanrocks
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Ultimate is the 'edgy' bullshit version where they do nothing but add awful cliches and stupid ideas to the story. Spider-Man rogues gallery would be a laughing stock if they were all introduced the Ultimate way. Powerless Kraven? Hulk Green Goblin? Liquid Terminator Dr. Octopus? Bald teenager Electro? Clone Carnage? Serial killer Sandman? Give me a break.

Agreed. Many people say that Spectacular Spider-Man is an Ultimate adaptation but I disagree. 70% of the stuff in Spectacular Spider-Man was taken from The Amazing Spider-Man. About only 30% was taken from Ultimate.

KCJ506
Tom Brevoot's response regarding USM smacks of pig-headed ignorance

"It had ran it's natural course"...yeah, a five year plan cut short by corporate greed is a "natural conclusion"

Pity this company folks.

jalek moye

i know i was talking about how they claim him in highschool is unique when he already was in SSM only with less stupid shit we dotn care about.

spidermanrocks
Ok. From now on, this thread will be dedicated to boycotting the upcoming Spider-Man cartoon series.

spidermanrocks
Any ideas?

jalek moye
none that will actually work. Just B!tch about it and accept it when it comes out like the rest of us

spidermanrocks
none that will actually work. Just B!tch about it and accept it when it comes out like the rest of us

So you're saying that we should just accept it and not do anything about it because no matter what we do, we will not succeed. Well, let me tell you a story of what happened in 2009.

Back in 2009, there came out this movie called DragonBall Evolution. It was an adaptation of the anime and manga DBZ. However, the movie did not stay true to the source material at all. The was going to be a sequel which would have ruined DBZ even more. But then...something happened.

Someone on YouTube created this channel called the "DRAGONBALLPROTEST" channel. This YouTube channel was a gathering of all the DBZ fans who came together to protest the sequel to the Dragonball Evolution movie. Everyone told them that they are going to fail and that DBE will get a sequel. But as months passed by, they got really popular. They were mentioned at L.A. Times. They were mentioned by the director and creators of DBE themselves. There was even a short article on Wikipedia about them on some point.

Everyday, members of the DBE sequel protest channel spread the word all across the world that DBE was a bad movie and that you shouldn't see it. Eventually, the movie bombed in theatres. It made little money and therefore, the sequel was canceled.

You see? It CAN be done as long as everyone works together. We can boycott this cartoon. If a YouTube channel managed to boycott a big budget movie, why can't a group of fans all other the internet boycott a simple cartoon?

Ms.Marvel
the movie bombed because it sucked ass, not because of some boycott...

Kazenji
Good if SSM has been cancelled...never liked it.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by spidermanrocks
Agreed. Many people say that Spectacular Spider-Man is an Ultimate adaptation but I disagree. 70% of the stuff in Spectacular Spider-Man was taken from The Amazing Spider-Man. About only 30% was taken from Ultimate.

Other than Kenny and a few other characters, almost everything in SSM is adapted from the classic comics. Even stuff the show made up takes some kind of step from the classic issues.

Mr. Rhythmic
i know i was talking about how they claim him in highschool is unique when he already was in SSM only with less stupid shit we dotn care about.

Except that Peter being a high school student combined college AND high school in the cartoon, where it keeps the same 616 elements.

Mr. Rhythmic
Hee's some of the brilliant dialogue from 'Ultimate Spider-Man #14". They are discussing what superhero they're going to dress up like for their school project (which already makes no sense).

Kong: Anyone gonna go as Spider-Man?

Flash: Due, you are so gay for Spider-Man. I'm gonna go as a mutant. A big, horny mutant.

Mary Jane: God...

Flash: What? Mutants don't get horny?

Kong: Dude, don't even joke about that stuff. You never know.

I shit you not. That's actual dialogue.

KCJ506
Has anyone at Disney actually read the Ultimate comic? How are you going to adapt that for 8-year-olds? I doubt this cartoon will have less censorship than Spectacular since it's made for kid's TV, not for DTV's, and it is on a Disney channel. Let's see what happens to the Peter/Mary Jane relationship and the make-out in the basement scenes!

Mr. Rhythmic
And seriously, what are people going to like better?

http://www.spidervillain.com/Villains/GreenGoblin/GreenGoblinASM122.gif

or

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/spiderman/images/thumb/f/fb/Ultimategreengoblin.jpg/225px-Ultimategreengoblin.jpg

spidermanrocks
Hee's some of the brilliant dialogue from 'Ultimate Spider-Man #14". They are discussing what superhero they're going to dress up like for their school project (which already makes no sense).

Kong: Anyone gonna go as Spider-Man?

Flash: Due, you are so gay for Spider-Man. I'm gonna go as a mutant. A big, horny mutant.

Mary Jane: God...

Flash: What? Mutants don't get horny?

Kong: Dude, don't even joke about that stuff. You never know.

I shit you not. That's actual dialogue.

LOL true. I have that book in my hands right now and it actually says that LOL.

spidermanrocks
I've read Ultimate Spider-Man at some length in the past and I have to say, I was really impressed. The story is well done, the art is good, I like the dialogue whenever it's not aimed at stupid teens, etc. Overall, I thought it was a great book. But I don't ever want to see it adapted as a Spider-Man cartoon or as a Spider-Man movie. Why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT SPIDER-MAN!

As just a regular series, Ultimate Spider-Man is very good. But as a Spider-Man series, it is an epic failure.

jalek moye
And seriously, what are people going to like better?

http://www.spidervillain.com/Villains/GreenGoblin/GreenGoblinASM122.gif

or

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/spiderman/images/thumb/f/fb/Ultimategreengoblin.jpg/225px-Ultimategreengoblin.jpg

the kids and preteens that they want to watch the show will chose the second one.

BruceSkywalker
i will watch

KCJ506
What annoys me the most is the show not even being canceled because of low ratings. It's being canceled for being a faithful adaptation to the original comics. A lot of people describe SSM as "the perfect Spider-Man series". Why? Because it stays true to the comics more than any other series so far and now it will be replaced with a show that only exists to capitalize on the live-action movies.

I think I speak for most of us when I say, the anger is not so much at the prospect of an USM show, it's the simple fact we lost SSM. If it had gotten 4-5 seasons and then Marvel decided to launch the USM show, I'm sure most of us wouldn't have minded that at all because SSM would have gotten it's fair shot. But the fact that the show ended prematurely AND was tremendously critically acclaimed, is what makes this sting so bad.

USM could be a good cartoon, but it's gonna have some pretty big shoes to fill and we should have gotten at least ONE more season of SSM to tie everything up.

Heythere,Honey
Oh no...That show was the best. It had a great theme song too.

Mr Parker
man that show did not last very long. oh well, i hated it that they made Gwen into a nerd.Much as I was ahppy to see Gwen in a series,I didnt want to see her as a nerd. mad

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Mr Parker
man that show did not last very long. oh well, i hated it that they made Gwen into a nerd.Much as I was ahppy to see Gwen in a series,I didnt want to see her as a nerd. mad

I didn't see the problem. Despite what she represents, Gwen was always overshadowed by the likes of Mary Jane and Black Cat.

Mr. Rhythmic
the kids and preteens that they want to watch the show will chose the second one.

No, they won't.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by spidermanrocks
I've read Ultimate Spider-Man at some length in the past and I have to say, I was really impressed. The story is well done, the art is good, I like the dialogue whenever it's not aimed at stupid teens, etc. Overall, I thought it was a great book. But I don't ever want to see it adapted as a Spider-Man cartoon or as a Spider-Man movie. Why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT SPIDER-MAN!

As just a regular series, Ultimate Spider-Man is very good. But as a Spider-Man series, it is an epic failure.

My god, do I disagree. Ultimate Spider-Man is a comic that tries SO hard to be current that it makes everyone look retarded. Despite what Bendis believes, not all teenagers just talk about sex and crying. And even with the percent that does, they are the very last source that should inspire a Spider-Man comic.

the ninjak
Oh Man! I hated Ultimate Spiderman. Obviously the cartoon won't keep the things that some of you mentioned would threaten audiences.

It will just be another mishmash of creative mediums.

But I loved SSM especially the fight choreography best ever in a marvel cartoon.

SamZED
Yeah, remember that bar fight with Mysterio robots?

the ninjak
Every episode impressed me with its choreography.

jinzin
I will join any and all petitions/channels to support SSpiderman in this thread! mad

iceyvenomhead
>_< aww man I loved venom in that thing they had made him a fluffing teen! well I hope they do the same in the other one.

LuckyEMS
I'm cool with it as long as they end it on Ultimatum and we get to see half of the additional cast with their heads blown off on screen

SamZED
Doubt that'd happen in a kids show.erm

I have a really bad feeling about this ultimate show.

Blue BombZ
The new info on Ultimate spider-man seems nice but, I still wish that spec spider-man was on.

SamZED
What new info?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.