Computer to Television Display

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Red Nemesis
My dad is considering buying a high-def flatscreen tv. His goal is to be able to hook his laptop into it and use that as a video input (so he could, for example, watch Hulu on the TV instead of on the laptop screen).

What would be the best way to do this? There are a lot of sites that say you simply shouldn't do it, but then again a lot of them are old and/or are talking about normal-def televisions.

Where would be the best place to find out?

T.M
There is a product called Q-Waves which might be good for you. It streams video and audio from USB to HDMI.

AsbestosFlaygon
If your PC has a a built-in HDMI port, you can directly connect a HDMI cable from PC to TV.

chomperx9
make sure you set the refresh rate on your computer thats compatible with your tv or your gonna have some problems. put it at 60hz just to be on the safe side.

Bardock42
A lot of the new TVs are basically like computer screens with more connections. It should be easy to connect a laptop to a TV through a TV Out or the normal VGA cable (if the TV has it, which many do), however to take advantage of the high definition you'll have to connect through either HDMI or DVI.

Red Nemesis
So this can be done without major software or hardware shennanigans?

That is really good news. The rest of the internet was disheartening me a lot.

Will there be problems with resolution?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Red Nemesis

Yeah, this can be done with very minor to no hardware or software shennanigans at all. Like I said though everything has to be HD for HD to work if you connect your TV via SCART Cable you won't have HD, if your video stream is not HD it won't be HD just cause the TV is big...

chomperx9

Will there be problems with resolution? no hardware or software changes needed. all you would need to do is hook up the laptop to your TV and change the resolution on your PC to what ever fits your tvs native resolution. like i listed above as well make sure you put the screen refresh rate thats compatible with your tv or you could do some damage.

Stoic

Originally posted by chomperx9
make sure you set the refresh rate on your computer thats compatible with your tv or your gonna have some problems. put it at 60hz just to be on the safe side.

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
If your PC has a a built-in HDMI port, you can directly connect a HDMI cable from PC to TV.

All in all, this is your answer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.