How do I explain Jedi are not all powerful?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
A co-worker of mine has the firm belief, that Jedi are all powerful. But he's confused on how a battle droid can kill a Force user. ATOC was the film that baffled him. I told him in firefight, you can only deflect so many blaster bolts and some of the battledroids have shields. But he seems to think that a Force user with just a flick of his hand and poof - a hundred enemy combatants go flying. I then tried to say even a Master like Yoda couldn't do that. He didn't believe me. After 30 minutes I gave up feeling like a wanted to beat the guy with a baseball bat.

How do I explain this to him?

Nephthys
This... this has been done before. Like this exact same story has been told to us a few months ago. Thats... really weird. confused

And the answer is still that the jedi are only human (or alien), they can't react to everything and they don't catch every attack via precog and they aren't fast enough to be everywhere. As Atton said they can be distracted or make stupid dicisions just like everyone else. Also their empathy makes big battles like Geonosis hard becuase they can feel their allies dying and that distracts them. Thats why the order teaches them to let go of attachments and emotion, so they don't make as many mistakes.

truejedi
technically though, what your friend said is true for Yoda, and Mace, Anakin and Obi-Wan (Thanks to CW cartoons..)

Though they can also get shot in the back randomnly.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Nephthys
This... this has been done before. Like this exact same story has been told to us a few months ago. Thats... really weird. confused

Won Fei Fon
I would ditch all attempts at reasoning with the fellow and give him the beating of his life with that baseball bat of yours. His kind will never learn to listen, you need to make him see things from your point of view.

AncientSithLord
Jedi are certainly not all powerful. Just show him some EU material, sourcebooks etc. It makes the limitations of Jedi power quite clear.

However, that said, there certainly were some Force-users (mostly in the Old Republic era) who could kill hundreds of enemies with the Force etc. wink

Ultimately, no matter how powerful, even they did die though.

Q99
Look at the movies?

Palpatine couldn't even fly well enough to make the shaft fall non-fatal.

Heck, Jedi and Sith fall to their deaths *all the time*.

BlackZero30x
Kip Duren moved a planet with the force.....

he also made a sun go Nova.....

truejedi
no he didn't.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by truejedi
no he didn't.

it was in champions of the force i believe...

EDIT: not the super nova...i looked back at it and yes he used a torpedo to do that.....but still he moved a planet

Lord Lucien
Do you have a quote for that?

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Do you have a quote for that?

not currently but im sure i can get one!

truejedi
He didn't move a planet. I bet money.

Nephthys
I'll take that bet. It sounds too rediculous not to be true.

truejedi
Well, considering he said in the same sentence he made a star go nova...

Then took it back...
Get ready to pay up Chica!

BlackZero30x
Well, considering he said in the same sentence he made a star go nova...

Then took it back...
Get ready to pay up Chica!

well if you don't believe me go read the book...anyways im working on finding the quote....i have to go sell text books back today so it might be awhile

truejedi
ight. Is champions of the force from the Jedi Academy series?

BlackZero30x
yup volume 3

truejedi
Volume 3? You mean book 3? Heck, I'll wiki it. It better not be a comic book. Those suck. That's all.

truejedi
yeah, i've read that. If Kyp moves a planet ANYWHERE in that book, i'll make my avatar Darth Bandon for a month.

Galan007
Jedi Academy was translated into a 4 issue comic book mini entitled "Leviathan", but yeah, he likely meant "book 3."

BlackZero30x
yeah, i've read that. If Kyp moves a planet ANYWHERE in that book, i'll make my avatar Darth Bandon for a month.

lmao im certain that he did....but if im wrong then im wrong but i swear i can remember reading it.

he was on the sun crusher and he was under attack so he reached out with all of his effort to move a planet towards the oncoming attackers

that was not the quote im looking for but i swear i remember reading that.

Originally posted by Galan007
Jedi Academy was translated into a 4 issue comic book mini entitled "Leviathan", but yeah, he likely meant "book 3."

yea i ment book 3......also sweet sig....he's my favorite jedi.

truejedi
Quote por favor. It didn't even say it on Wiki, (which i promise wouldn't have been good enough for anyone here.)

BlackZero30x
Quote por favor. It didn't even say it on Wiki, (which i promise wouldn't have been good enough for anyone here.)

I didn't look it up on wiki...i read it....but anyway i could have sworn i read the situation i stated so much so that i would have bet on it but since i couldn't find it i gave you the benefit of the doubt...stating that yea i really could be wrong....

but im going to call my dad for a fact check(I have to get my books from somewhere lmao)

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
I didn't look it up on wiki...i read it....but anyway i could have sworn i read the situation i stated so much so that i would have bet on it but since i couldn't find it i gave you the benefit of the doubt...stating that yea i really could be wrong....

but im going to call my dad for a fact check(I have to get my books from somewhere lmao)

EDIT: my father agrees with you on the subject....and im very inclined to believe anything he says about star wars....I guess your right but then what book did i read that someone moved a planet? confused

truejedi
perhaps Bane, Rule of Two? He is rumored to have nudged a moon. However, upon closer examination of the facts, even that isn't true.

Luke cloaks a moon from discovery, and Zonoma Sekot is equipped with hyperspace motors.

Besides that, I have no idea.

BlackZero30x
perhaps Bane, Rule of Two? He is rumored to have nudged a moon. However, upon closer examination of the facts, even that isn't true.

Luke cloaks a moon from discovery, and Zonoma Sekot is equipped with hyperspace motors.

actually i think it was in Vector Prime when the yosongvon war started....the yosongvong pulled a moon into a planet killing chewy......

so it was not a jedi or the force...sorry for the confusion....

but the liveing planet could move itself stick out tongue

SWFan4Life

Pardon bringing up an older thread, but I don't remember Luke specifically cloaking a moon (Yavin IV) from being discovered (wasn't it the other Jedi Masters doing so in the NJO series, and not Luke)?

Question on that: I can understand how a group of Masters can cloak a moon from humans and alien minds using the Force, but how did they fool the Yuuzhan Vong from seeing the moon, if they were stripped of the Force?

Was the cloak a massive mind trick, or an actual physical manifestation of the Force?

Derelite
i think i remember hearing that kyp durron did move a planet.. im not sure where though so if you question me i wont be able to defend myself hahah

Enyalus
Originally posted by Derelite
i think i remember hearing that kyp durron did move a planet.. im not sure where though so if you question me i wont be able to defend myself hahah
In one of the NJO novels they mention that Kyp pulled the Sun Crusher out of Yavin's gas giant's gravity well with the Force...that may be what you're talking about.

However, in the book where it actually happened (Dark Apprentice maybe?) he just uses the Force to activate the Sun Crusher's controls and fly it remotely...

SWFan4Life
Originally posted by Enyalus
In one of the NJO novels they mention that Kyp pulled the Sun Crusher out of Yavin's gas giant's gravity well with the Force...that may be what you're talking about.

However, in the book where it actually happened (Dark Apprentice maybe?) he just uses the Force to activate the Sun Crusher's controls and fly it remotely...

You're spot on about that. I remember reading about this inconsistency, that the NJO series claimed Kyp used the Force to physically move it, when in actuality he uses the Force to activate the ship's controls like you said.

Derelite
yeah that is probably what i am thinking. star wars just has too much information for my brain haha

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.