Gravity Manipulation vs super strength...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dmills
Which super power trumps the other, Immeasurable strength and the corresponding durability or gravity/anti-gravity/g-forces/inertia control with the corresponding knowledge to use it effectively?

Johnny Sorrow
Gravity manipulation can give you "super-strength" but it doesn't work the other way.

GM wins. cool

Wild Shadow
unless ur the blob GM should massively trump any super strength ability

KingD19
Yeah, with GM, you have a fair range of abilities. Change the weight of your opponents, damage internal organs by increasing gravity on a single part of them, flight, increasing your own strength or make somemthing light enough to lift...hell, if you were at Graviton's level, you'd be unstoppable.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by KingD19
Yeah, with GM, you have a fair range of abilities. Change the weight of your opponents, damage internal organs by increasing gravity on a single part of them, flight, increasing your own strength or make somemthing light enough to lift...hell, if you were at Graviton's level, you'd be unstoppable. this

Wild Shadow
basically a skilled knowledgeable gravity manipulator has the potential to be cosmic herald, skyfather or even abstract

celeyhyga17
Grav... therefore Nova wins.. righ dmills? P

dmills
^^^ Your insight is boarderline cosmic awareness! laughing out loud Seriously, I'm just curious about the subject.

And testing a theory. wink

celeyhyga17
uahaha =P

Mindship
Grav-manip vs superstrength?

Spite.

Warlord
with control over gravity you can also fly and create forcefields...
much better than having just strength.

and yeah Graviton was a pimp

the ninjak
Grav manip.

Colossus-Big C
lol what about making some ones balls weight the mass a star, so he couldnt move freely

Black bolt z
Super strength does have that corresponding durability he mentioned but then again with grv manip they really can't touch you(without speed blitz).

BlackZero30x
gravity manipulation

because if someone was Infinitely strong (with the corresponding durability)and they got into a fight with me they would not be able to move. because i could make the place they stand pull inward in all directions(like the core of earth) and they would be stuck floating there.

or possibly crush them

vansonbee
So far, only super strength hero who might overcome GM, is Hulk. (Be cool, if someone bring up a scan old/new).

KingD19
Originally posted by vansonbee
So far, only super strength hero who might overcome GM, is Hulk. (Be cool, if someone bring up a scan old/new).

If they're in danger of breaking your gravimetric hold....just make them float off into space.

And Big C...if you made somones ball weigh as much as a star, I'm pretty sure they'd die from ball ripping and blood loss....And their destroyed balls would possibly gain their own orbit.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by KingD19
If they're in danger of breaking your gravimetric hold....just make them float off into space.

And Big C...if you made somones ball weigh as much as a star, I'm pretty sure they'd die from ball ripping and blood loss....And their destroyed balls would possibly gain their own orbit.

hey if i was 100% invulnerable id say heck yea increase there weight...id love to see earth orbit around them....lmao

Newjak
Well I guess it depends on the power levels you are talking about here. I mean if you can only mess with gravity so much it isn't really gonna be that useful except for subtle things.

Not to mention there is the on/off effect GM has. By that I mean you have to consciously use your power. If you're not thinking about using it then its off. At least it how it is portrayed most times in comics. It makes you quite open to the standard kill you when you sleep.

While Superstrength/Durability doesn't normally have the on/off effect. So that is a big bonus if your only comparing the powersets to eachother and not a person vs person battle.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Newjak
Well I guess it depends on the power levels you are talking about here. I mean if you can only mess with gravity so much it isn't really gonna be that useful except for subtle things.

Not to mention there is the on/off effect GM has. By that I mean you have to consciously use your power. If you're not thinking about using it then its off. At least it how it is portrayed most times in comics. It makes you quite open to the standard kill you when you sleep.

While Superstrength/Durability doesn't normally have the on/off effect. So that is a big bonus if your only comparing the powersets to eachother and not a person vs person battle. True.Day to day life normal gravity manip would be cool but as a hero only massive manip would do you good.

Bouboumaster
It depends. Hulk's strenght would, I think, be more powerful that the gravity manipulation of, let say, Nova.

But Hulk is one of the few exception.

KingD19
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
It depends. Hulk's strenght would, I think, be more powerful that the gravity manipulation of, let say, Nova.

But Hulk is one of the few exception.

It's not past Graviton's though, if he were written correctly, he'd be one of the most dangerous people in the MU.

Black bolt z
Unlimited like abstract level gravity manip,I would go with that.Nova level i go wit uber strength.

Galan007
It really does depend on the characters involved. For instance, Starman has used his gravitational-esque powers to: stabilize an entire star system, create mini singularities, pin down 3rd world Gog, etc. However, those same powers proved insufficient to overcome the strength of KC Superman.

srug

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Galan007
It really does depend on the characters involved. For instance, Starman has used his gravitational-esque powers to: stabilize an entire star system, create mini singularities, pin down 3rd world Gog, etc. However, those same powers proved insufficient to overcome the strength of KC Superman.

srug It all depends of the level of gravity manip.

Mindset
Originally posted by Galan007

srug No one phucks with the Superman.

dmills
A couple of things. Nova's gravity powers operate quite a bit differently then Graviton's. Graviton can manipulate gravitons and anti-gravitons on a massive scale. He is all raw power, the Hulk of gravity manipulators so to speak.

Nova's powers are a little more varied and subtle. His gravity powers deal more along the lines of precision manipulation of mass, weight and volume as it relates to gravity, hence the word "Gravimetric". Although he can effect inertia and g forces as well.

Say for example, that there's a glass sitting on a table. Graviton could will the gravity around the glass to increase it's weight to let's say, 200 tons, with a mere thought. Nova could do the same, but he has to weave a sort of gravimetric field around the glass to increase it's mass. Same outcome, two totally different way's to achieve it.

Graviton could will the gravity in the city of Phoenix to increase by 20 times. Nova would have to place an enormous gravimetric bubble around the city to achieve the same effect. And the feat where Graviton had all of those heroes pinned in mid air, Nova wouldn't be able to replicate that. He could place individuals inside of a gravity bubble so strong that they would never escape, he could pin them or place them in a gravity weave making them to heavy to move, but he couldn't simply just "will" gravity to pin all of those people.

However Nova's gravimetric power has some advantages over Graviton. For one he has no limits on how much energy he can expend. He can manipulate the gravity of individual grains of sand ( Nova # 32) or he can manipulate the gravity of a star to create a wormhole (Nova # 7). He has no limits on how much gravimetric weight he can manipulate. His can also manipulate gravimetric energy with pin point accuracy. Meaning if he wanted to, he could shoot a compressed pulse with a gravimetric weight of 2000 tons at your eyeball. Or he can place a thin gravity field on your mouth and nose that you could never get off. He can also make gravimetric constructs that are basically indestructable and make them weigh as much as he wants (Nova 17) and open wormhole anywhere (even inside of you Nova #30 and 35)And of course his shielding is insanely durable (herald my rage, Annihilation #6 ?)

Of course Gravity (Gregg) is probably more powerful then both of them.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by dmills
A couple of things. Nova's gravity powers operate quite a bit differently then Graviton's. Graviton can manipulate gravitons and anti-gravitons on a massive scale. He is all raw power, the Hulk of gravity manipulators so to speak.

Nova's powers are a little more varied and subtle. His gravity powers deal more along the lines of precision manipulation of mass, weight and volume as it relates to gravity, hence the word "Gravimetric". Although he can effect inertia and g forces as well.

Say for example, that there's a glass sitting on a table. Graviton could will the gravity around the glass to increase it's weight to let's say, 200 tons, with a mere thought. Nova could do the same, but he has to weave a sort of gravimetric field around the glass to increase it's mass. Same outcome, two totally different way's to achieve it.

Graviton could will the gravity in the city of Phoenix to increase by 20 times. Nova would have to place an enormous gravimetric bubble around the city to achieve the same effect. And the feat where Graviton had all of those heroes pinned in mid air, Nova wouldn't be able to replicate that. He could place individuals inside of a gravity bubble so strong that they would never escape, he could pin them or place them in a gravity weave making them to heavy to move, but he couldn't simply just "will" gravity to pin all of those people.

However Nova's gravimetric power has some advantages over Graviton. For one he has no limits on how much energy he can expend. He can manipulate the gravity of individual grains of sand ( Nova # 32) or he can manipulate the gravity of a star to create a wormhole (Nova # 7). He has no limits on how much gravimetric weight he can manipulate. His can also manipulate gravimetric energy with pin point accuracy. Meaning if he wanted to, he could shoot a compressed pulse with a gravimetric weight of 2000 tons at your eyeball. Or he can place a thin gravity field on your mouth and nose that you could never get off. He can also make gravimetric constructs that are basically indestructable and make them weigh as much as he wants (Nova 17) and open wormhole anywhere (even inside of you Nova #30 and 35)And of course his shielding is insanely durable (herald my rage, Annihilation #6 ?)

Of course Gravity (Gregg) is probably more powerful then both of them. So they each have advantages over each other?

dmills
@Black bolt z,

Yes. Graviton is a sledgehammer. Nova is a scalpel. In terms of gravity manipulation that is. Obviously Nova has more powers, but gravity is his main one.

Black bolt z
@Black bolt z,

Yes. Graviton is a sledgehammer. Nova is a scalpel. In terms of gravity manipulation that is. Obviously Nova has more powers, but gravity is his main one. I'd rather have a sledgehammer biscuits

Johnny Sorrow

Of course Gravity (Gregg) is probably more powerful then both of them.

That was old-school Graviton.

Black bolt z
(auto quote)What does new school do?

Johnny Sorrow
Originally posted by Black bolt z
(auto quote)What does new school do?

The version of Graviton who fought Iron Man was weak. Graviton was strongest when he trained to hone his powers with Moonstone. He sat meditating in LA, picked up a stone in China, and shot it through a woman's head. I believe that woman was Moonstone's friend, and Graviton knew that. Before that, he granted flight to more than 50 people without actively concentrating. He also took it away with a thought.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Johnny Sorrow
The version of Graviton who fought Iron Man was weak. Graviton was strongest when he trained to hone his powers with Moonstone. He sat meditating in LA, picked up a stone in China, and shot it through a woman's head. I believe that woman was Moonstone's friend, and Graviton knew that. Before that, he granted flight to more than 50 people without actively concentrating. He also took it away with a thought. Meaning massive grav manip.

dmills
I'm not sure we are disagreeing. Graviton has that level of gravity control and power. Nova doesn't. At least, not that he has shown. But Nova g-mip is still <<< strength. Easily.

Johnny Sorrow
Meaning massive grav manip.

Massive as well as precise.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing. Graviton has that level of gravity control and power. Nova doesn't. At least, not that he has shown. But Nova g-mip is still <<< strength. Easily.

We're not. I'm pointing out that for a short time, Graviton actually tried to perfect his powers. He was able to exhibit a great deal of control and precision during that time, just like Nova. Unlike Nova, Graviton has confidence issues and only did it as long as he believed he was worthy of performing such feats.

Black bolt z
I'm not sure we are disagreeing. Graviton has that level of gravity control and power. Nova doesn't. At least, not that he has shown. But Nova g-mip is still <<< strength. Easily. I want to know is if I could get like graviton grav manip x 1Million.

dmills
Well Gravity supposedly can manipulate all of the gravity in the entire universe or some shyte like that.

Black bolt z
Well Gravity supposedly can manipulate all of the gravity in the entire universe or some shyte like that. theres a character called gravity?

dmills
Yep. Some young kid named Greg.

Black bolt z
Yep. Some young kid. and he has this ability how?

dmills
and he has this ability how? Well, it is Marvel so...

Black bolt z
Well, it is Marvel so... Meaning they give it to him threw either
1: Some scerio that makes no sense but people accept in the end
2: They really don't explain it at all and just make you accept it.

Gecko4lif
SS > Gravity manip

Blackholes are infinite gravity and high lvl ss guys disregard them all the time

nicamarvin
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
SS > Gravity manip

Blackholes are infinite gravity and high lvl ss guys disregard them all the time Counld someone make Juggernaut so heavy they could stop his forward momentum..? confused

dmills
Magic > Laws of physics unless the person manipulating the gravity is more powerful then the source of the magic.

cdtm
True.Day to day life normal gravity manip would be cool but as a hero only massive manip would do you good.

But if we're talking the uber gravity manips, isn't it fair to compare them with the massive strength types?

Bring in the Draxes, Validus's, and Mangog's. Classic Drax is probably the weakest of the bunch, and he still tore apart a star with his bare hands, and stars have intense gravity.

cdtm
Magic > Laws of physics unless the person manipulating the gravity is more powerful then the source of the magic.

Maybe.

Sometimes magic is clearly > science, and sometimes science manages to trump magic. (Jamie Reyes is a great example of science trumping magic, as the scarab treats magic like any other energy type, can absorb it, or even cancel it out with an "anti magic bubble". How Xanatos resisted Oberon's uber magic in Gargoyles using conventional generators and a force field is another example.)

Black bolt z
Originally posted by cdtm
But if we're talking the uber gravity manips, isn't it fair to compare them with the massive strength types?

Bring in the Draxes, Validus's, and Mangog's. Classic Drax is probably the weakest of the bunch, and he still tore apart a star with his bare hands, and stars have intense gravity. Exactly.If you have unlimited gravity manip you can pretty much just make gravity so heavy that someone with super strength just crushes under the weight.Originally posted by nicamarvin
Counld someone make Juggernaut so heavy they could stop his forward momentum..? confused Originally posted by dmills
Magic > Laws of physics unless the person manipulating the gravity is more powerful then the source of the magic. This

dmills
@cdtm,

The feat where drax rips apart a star had to involve some type of energy/matter manipulation. Otherwise, how can you rip apart energy?

cdtm
@cdtm,

The feat where drax rips apart a star had to involve some type of energy/matter manipulation. Otherwise, how can you rip apart energy?

Well, Hulk also grabbed onto the energy of a force field, treating it like silly putty.

It doesn't make much sense, but I guess it was a silver age thing..

Black bolt z
@cdtm,

The feat where drax rips apart a star had to involve some type of energy/matter manipulation. Otherwise, how can you rip apart energy? It's comics...rules of physics don't apply to characters like drax.

dmills
I guess it's one thing to move, lift, push, pull extreme weights. It quite another to have your body actually weigh hundreds of tons.

Doctor-Alvis
I think one advantage super strength would have is throwing things. You can definitely lift more with anti-gravity, but how strong would your anti-gravity field need to be to make a baseball match the speeds of a professional pitcher?

Johnny Sorrow
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I think one advantage super strength would have is throwing things. You can definitely lift more with anti-gravity, but how strong would your anti-gravity field need to be to make a baseball match the speeds of a professional pitcher?

Strength doesn't come into the equation as much as acceleration.

kgkg
Controlling a fundamental Force is > Strength any day unless the control is very limited.

Lord_Talron
gravity manipulation pwns.

perceptive gravity manipulation would pwn even more tho. give someone an object that is light as a feather to them, but 1 trillion tons to anything it hit or something like that xD

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by Johnny Sorrow
Strength doesn't come into the equation as much as acceleration.
Ignoring real world physics and using the comic physics.

dmills
Hump.

KingD19
Hump.

You didn't mean bump did you?

amnesia
Oh you. I thought we already agreed that gravity manipulation was superior to super strength.

But super strength is cooler though smile

h1a8
Actually you can levitate someone ftw with GM. They can't touch you.

h1a8
It's comics...rules of physics don't apply to characters like drax. has nothing to do with physics but common sense. Also many past ridiculous feats have been explained later using REAL science theories.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.