Which tier-tourney do you prefer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bentley
When having a tourney what kind of character would you rather use?

- Street level.
- Meta level.
- Herald level.
- Multi-levels (point systems or stuff).
- Amalgams.

And while we are at it, which ones do you hate? wink

King Kandy
Multi-levels, and amalgams.

JakeTheBank
I had a fairly good experience with Kahn/Batdude's High Herald Tourney. Most of my favorite characters are in that tier, so it's easier for me to debate.

leonidas
i like all levels of tournaments. i DON'T like point systems and rules that are overly complex. i prefer little to no prep, but feel all right using either format. tourneys are a blast.

Digi
High Meta, only because I'm more versed in characters at that level than any other.

No amalgams, very little prep.

I do enjoy point-based systems, though they're very, very hard to pull off well. I actually thought delph's tourney (at high meta, ironically) pulled it off well.

"Id"
The levels of creativity are surprisingly high in the Meta Class.

Lord_Talron
id prefer street level as i could put real world knowledge to my advantage, not to mention some of my favs are streets

King Kandy
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
id prefer street level as i could put real world knowledge to my advantage
Believe me, that's been tried and it doesn't work.

Scoobless
High meta and below, teams and/or amalgams.

Limited/zero prep (in terms of building gadgets or bringing in all powerful toys)

I don't like rules that allow knowledge/abilities/weapoens/whatever being carried from one round to another as it gives unique and often unfair advantages on occasion.

Digi
Originally posted by King Kandy
Believe me, that's been tried and it doesn't work.

Indeed. That does not, however, mean that is wouldn't be hilarious and awesome to see it tried again.

Originally posted by Scoobless
High meta and below, teams and/or amalgams.

Limited/zero prep (in terms of building gadgets or bringing in all powerful toys)

I don't like rules that allow knowledge/abilities/weapoens/whatever being carried from one round to another as it gives unique and often unfair advantages on occasion.

In general, I agree. I tried to make the "potential loopholes" list as comprehensive as possible in the guide for tourney directors, so that a tourney host attempting to eliminate such powers doesn't accidentally miss some that can then be exploited.

Some tourneys have encouraged such insanity, however, and it's also been fun. Just more work, and it generally turns into whose prep the judges believe more, not who debates better or has the better squad.

Blair Wind
Meta level-Herald Level w/amalgams.

Meta level has a huge amount of characters to choose from and the herald level is always fun due to extensive powersets.

Ambient
Yeah i got to say high meta/herald level or amalgam, there are so many ways you could exploit them due to higher power set/level..

Digi
Nah, anything past meta just gets silly. Anything more than about 30 seconds prep and you don't even have a chance unless you're bringing multiple world-busting prep ideas. And they're also the least accessible tourneys to newer members regardless of prep.

Enyalus
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I had a fairly good experience with Kahn/Batdude's High Herald Tourney. Most of my favorite characters are in that tier, so it's easier for me to debate.
If I were ever in a tourney, it'd probably be a HH tier tourney, too. For the same reason you listed.

I also think the point-system tournies look really fun and interesting. Would seem that drafts get more complex and...strategic?

Digi
Originally posted by Enyalus
If I were ever in a tourney, it'd probably be a HH tier tourney, too. For the same reason you listed.

I also think the point-system tournies look really fun and interesting. Would seem that drafts get more complex and...strategic?

Yes, but there's also greater potential for exploitation, because it's impossible for a host to foresee all the permutations his point system allows. The system itself can become the loophole, even if specific "loophole" powers (duplication, speed force, power copying, etc.) are banned.

I love point system tourneys, so don't misunderstand. They're just trickier to pull of well.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Digi
Yes, but there's also greater potential for exploitation, because it's impossible for a host to foresee all the permutations his point system allows. The system itself can become the loophole, even if specific "loophole" powers (duplication, speed force, power copying, etc.) are banned.
Yes, but as I would be the one doing the uber exploiting, I would be cool with it. big grin cool

Digi
Originally posted by Enyalus
Yes, but as I would be the one doing the uber exploiting, I would be cool with it. big grin cool

Everyone thinks that.

stick out tongue

King Kandy
Originally posted by Digi

I love point system tourneys, so don't misunderstand. They're just trickier to pull of well.
Even a bad point system can be fun. People definitely haven't looked well on Evangel's tourney that tried it first, but I still think that was the best tourney I was in.

psycho gundam
^ which one?

King Kandy
Um, the one that was point based. roll eyes (sarcastic)

psycho gundam
Originally posted by psycho gundam
^ which one? you know the name?

King Kandy
you know the name?

"Final Slugfest"

You were Juggernaut w/ infinity gems.

psycho gundam
warlock with the power gem (and soul gem he comes with) would have been the shit. plus you could have afforded prep

King Kandy
warlock with the power gem (and soul gem he comes with) would have been the shit. plus you could have afforded prep
Hey, I bought prep... and I did fine. It was your first tourney though, you didn't know the ropes yet.

Bentley
Prep is rather good, you need to buy at least some minutes of it. I remember those rules were quite interesting.

Black bolt z
What exactly is an Amalgam?

Digi
Originally posted by Black bolt z
What exactly is an Amalgam?

Nobody answered this? Well, if you haven't gotten your answer elsewhere by now...

An amalgam is when you combine two or more characters into a single character, thus stacking power sets. Usually amalgam tourneys have 3 draft choices melded into 1 uber-character, but there have been variations on that. Some have even allowed participants to choose whether or not to amalgamate their draft picks.

Originally posted by King Kandy
Hey, I bought prep... and I did fine. It was your first tourney though, you didn't know the ropes yet.

I seriously thought one of you was trying to build part of the IG in that tourney. I remember being ready to just pounce on it as a loophole.

Still prefer high meta by a mile over other levels. I briefly considered entering the current low herald one, but my reaction was one of disgust when I realized how few good ideas I had at that level. Low meta is excellent for me as well. I have fond memories of my HH tournies, but as diverse as the power sets are, there's really a defined list of have's and have-not's at the HH level, so it's honestly more predictable and potentially boring than many lower levels. For example, there's no one that would shock me if they weren't drafted at any street or meta level...there's too much diversity. But if Surfer isn't taken in the first 2-3 picks of a HH tourney, and Thor/Hal/Kyle don't follow him within the first round or two, something's wrong.

psycho gundam
^ battlezone me using high meta cap level characters, and sticking with kandy's current cross-genre rules nao

i have to collect on a dept closedeyes

Digi
^ battlezone me using high meta cap level characters, and sticking with kandy's current cross-genre rules nao

i have to collect on a dept closedeyes

I'm only coming out of retirement for the right kind of prize. Helping you settle your vendetta isn't one of them.

wink

...not to mention cross-genre. I almost can't fathom a situation where I'd agree to such a tourney/match. I'm not totally lost in genres that aren't comics, but there are many in which I am. I know my strengths and weaknesses, and that would be far enough off of my home turf that I would not be comfortable at all.

psycho gundam
mmmm closedeyes

-Pr-
High Herald and below, no amalgams, no extensive prep.

Parmaniac
Street and Meta (also a mix of these two) & amalgams, I also like prep time and a specific battlefield (Cities, Forests etc.).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.