2010 FIFA World Cup

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
Now that domestic seasons are pretty much over I feel it's time to really start talking about the greatest sporting even to grace our great world. With the South Africa World Cup around a month away it's time to really begin rejoicing in the beautiful game.

What are you looking foreward to? Who are you rooting for? Do you think your nation can win it? What about team selections and satuff like that?

I know there is a football thread but I believe that a tournament as large as this really deserves it own thread.

Oh yeah.... and COME ON ENGLAND!!!

-Pr-
I hope France don't win. That's pretty much it. If Italy qualified, i tend to root for them.

§P0oONY
As a neutral I'm glad that France are in. They are a better side than their rocky qualification showed.

Rooting for the Itallians is a bit of a weird one though, their brand of football isn't the greatest to watch.

-Pr-

§P0oONY
Italy are great for grindig ou results, I agree on the defence bit tough... They really fight tooth and nail at the back. It's just ashame that they don't really move foreward much while they have the lead.

I've always just found Italian football a bit meh, same with German, it's just not the most free-flowing football. It's just opinion I guess... You just see most neutrals going for teams like Brazil and Spain (and England, but that's because of Beckham )

Naturally I'd never expect anyone, let alone someone from the ROI to support France in the torunament... I just like to see the best teams in the competition though, and France are one of them.

-Pr-

Liberator
I was really hoping to get behind Ireland this cup but due to some ****er...

Anyways, England seem to have a pretty decent shot (they due every Cup but I'm sure we all know how that goes). As long as England isn't, well, England, we can win it again.

I haven't been a fan of the Italians since that dive against the Aussies.

Theirry Henri shouldn't be allowe to play in my opinion. Cheating bastard.

§P0oONY
I agree with you on the England not being England front. Although... and maybe it's just me... but things do feel different to usual pre-cup build up. This year there seems to be a real feeling that we have a shot (without getting carried away), To be honest I think we do have more chance this year than anytime in my lifetime (I am only 21 though), You've got the fact that Capello has really whipped the side into shape, mergred with the fact that sides like Argentina, France and Germany aren't really firing like you'd expect.. it really does make England one of the favourites.

I have to say that I agree with the bookies though, Spain are the favourites... and if England don't win it I'd like to see the Spanish take it down. I mean, they are even more overdue than anyone when it comes to winning a World Cup.

Side-note: New England provisional squad list has been released, a few suprises but I don't think a bad list at all. It does show that the side really does have a lot of depth.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

Liberator

Bicnarok
yep, but it also leaves the door open for some young talent to come along and fight for a place in the team. A hard spot to fill though, Ballack is an excellent midfielder.

Slay
The winner of this tournament will be decided in the quarter-finals, depending on which side will win. Either the Netherlands or Spain.

Bicnarok
I personally think it will be decided in the Final.

Slay
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I personally think it will be decided in the Final.
Haha, did anybody ever tell you you're ****ing hilarious?

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Slay
Haha, did anybody ever tell you you're ****ing hilarious?

Sorry for the sarcasm, its a humorous thing in some countries.

I do think this tournament could be unpredictable though, with maybe some outsider team getting to the final and even beating a favourite in that end game.

I also think other suprises could arise, like some lunatics shooting a few people like in the African Cup of nations.

Slay
Sorry for the sarcasm, its a humorous thing in some countries.

I do think this tournament could be unpredictable though, with maybe some outsider team getting to the final and even beating a favourite in that end game.

I also think other suprises could arise, like some lunatics shooting a few people like in the African Cup of nations.
No, really, ****ing hilarious, trust me, I know a thing or two about humour, I'm French.

Yeah, I think Serbia will be the upset of the tournament, they have a good team right now that can surprise a lot of established teams.

Liberator
On a lighter note for Ballack, he says that he's still going to be playing for Germany internationally, just not in this world cup.

Serbia? They have a decently hard group for themselves. Netherlands is obviously the favourite for it, but Austria has always been a pretty average side that might pose some problem, and Ghana is actually surprisingly strong. If they can get through the Group stage then possibly... but I don't think they really have the potential for any real damage.

Bicnarok
No, really, ****ing hilarious, trust me, I know a thing or two about humour, I'm French.

Yeah, I think Serbia will be the upset of the tournament, they have a good team right now that can surprise a lot of established teams.

French arn't really renowned for their humour now are they, or are they? I'll find out in summer as I'm going on holiday to the Vendee`area, are the people nice there?

I was wondering why the French national team has mainly players of African decent, are the "natural or typical" (if there is such a thing) French person more interested in Rugby or other sports?

Serbia could do well, they might cause Germany to have an early exit especially if Ghana do well in the group as well. They have some excellent players and Pantalic is an excellent finisher.

Slay
French arn't really renowned for their humour now are they, or are they? I'll find out in summer as I'm going on holiday to the Vendee`area, are the people nice there?

I was wondering why the French national team has mainly players of African decent, are the "natural or typical" (if there is such a thing) French person more interested in Rugby or other sports?

Serbia could do well, they might cause Germany to have an early exit especially if Ghana do well in the group as well. They have some excellent players and Pantalic is an excellent finisher.
They definitely aren't. Well, I'm not really French, but I've actually been to the Vendee. It was in 1999 or 2000 or something though, so I don't really remember that much about it. Probably because I was 14 back then.

Pantelic hasn't really impressed me that much at Ajax to be honest, but that may have to do with Suarez having a great season. He was very good at Frankfurt and Hertha though. Serbia has some good midfielders in Kuzmanovic, Kacar, Stankovic and Krasic and a good striking couple in Pantelic and Jovanovic. Their defence is excellent as well with Vidic, Ivanovic and Dragutinovic. And with Germany missing Ballack, who knows what might happen.

Bicnarok

Slay
Catanaccio. And yeah, Portugal are lucky to be in the World Cup. I don't know what it is with them though as I still have a feeling that they'll progress far into the tournament. I think they'll have the Germany-syndrome this tournament. Get shitty results during the qualification and preparation but, as I said, still reach the semis or final.

I was also a bit disappointed with Holland against Mexico, although they weren't that great in the preparation for Euro 2008 and still played great against Italy and France.

Liberator
Things are looking rather well for England aren't they? I'll repeat myself, I really think England has a very great shot at winning the Cup this year as long as they don't make the stupid mistakes later on.

Portugal never really struck me as anything fantastic, but let's not get started on football bias. France aren't a great team either, unless of course they have the opprotunity to slap the ball.

And, wow about the USA, I'm actually rather surprised. Though I did look and they didn't play the majority of their starters, it was mostly a reserve team against the Republic and judging by the times listed on the goals it was fairly close. But yeah, I don't think England will have trouble with them (not to sound elitist).

Slay
I think there's a serious lack of great teams at this WC. I don't think England will win it, Argentina, Brazil, France and Italy don't have the greatest teams at the moment, I don't think Spain will win it this time either, Holland's defense is too weak and Portugal hasn't been doing well in preparation.

Everything is pointing in Germany's direction, they might just win it this time, as much as I hate to say it.

Bicnarok

iangould
I would say that Spain are going to win because they have torres, alonso and many great players in their team

Liberator
I always like to entertain Cameroon will preform some magic, they usually seem to do every now and again. The Ivory Coast isn't all so bad either, both sides have very quick players as well as some mentionable ones from the Premiership themselves.

Bicnarok
Have you seen the Ivory Coasts group?

Brazil, Portugal and N Korea who could be unpredictable.

RocasAtoll
North Korea will be crap. Just because no one knows how they play, it doesn't make them dangerous. Their league is one of the worse ones in Asia, and that's where they get a lot of their players.
Ivory Coast should be able to nick a point off of Brazil and beat Portugal for that second spot. They have a more solid team throughout than Portugal. Cameroon has a chance, but I don't see Nigeria doing well.

Nihilist
I cant see anyone stopping Spain, if all there top players stay fit.

Bicnarok

lord xyz

Slay

Bicnarok

Deano
the key to winning the world cup is belief. Brazil haven't got the best team but they will probably end up in the final because they play with confidence and belief.

To be fair i can't see any other team winning apart from Spain. That team is brilliant.

So what 7 should be left at home for England?

this is who i want to see gone from the england squad:

Barry- i would take him but i doubt he will be fit
Warnock
King - great player but to much of a risk
Huddlestone
Bent
adam johnson - great player and will become a regular but i reckon others deserve a chance such as shaun wright phillips.
Phillips- hard choice as i think he deserves a chance but i rate lennon higher.

Bicnarok

Deano
walcott out. not too surprised really.

what has baines done to deserve being left out?

Bicnarok

Deano
well if capello picked players on form like he said he was going to, then upson, carrick and heskey would be out.

walcott is all pace and no end product. lennon and phillips provide the end product better

lord xyz
Wasn't Baines the one who let in that poor goal in the Mexico game?

Bicnarok

Deano
brazil are't impressive either really. they aint as good as they used to be.

and i am well aware of walcotts talents but his season has been poor and he hasn't performed at international level since croatia.

Slay
Ghana looked quite shit last night. So did Holland in the first half, but 4-1 that's a thrashing I didn't expect, considering that Ghana is probably the strongest African team in this WC. What a goal from Sneijder as well.

Deano
Well friendly's mean nothing really. I remember England beating Jamaica 6-1 in their last friendly before the 2006 world cup and look how poor the campaign was for them.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Deano
Well friendly's mean nothing really. I remember England beating Jamaica 6-1 in their last friendly before the 2006 world cup and look how poor the campaign was for them.

I totally agree, the players are also trying not to get injured before the finals.

Deano
yeah definitely. Its daft to expect players to put full effort in 2 weeks before a major tournament.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

Deano
its hard to play when you have injured your arm. trust me i know!

Liberator
Dammit Ferdinand! Of course this would happen.

I really hope he gets back on his feet, Terry doesn't deserve it this time around.

Slay
Robben is out for the World Cup as well. Hamstring injury against Hungary this afternoon.Originally posted by Deano
That's what I've been saying for the last 2 pages. Just expected Ghana to do better even if it was a friendly.

Bicnarok

Slay

Liberator
WTF ROBBEN OUT? A real shame, a real shame indeed. I was also looking forward to watching him play. That's pissed me off now!

Bicnarok

botankus
I'm an NFL fan with a father-in-law who is a soccer (football) nut. He's having a big get-together this Saturday to watch us Yanks take on the English. He's even inviting a friend who's from the UK to watch with us. That way the friend can rib us if England wins...or rib us about how we don't know the game if England loses, I suppose! But it should all be in good fun, I hope.

So considering I don't know much about these 2 teams except that the USA barely scored in the last World Cup, who is expected to win this match?

Liberator
Originally posted by botankus
I'm an NFL fan with a father-in-law who is a soccer (football) nut. He's having a big get-together this Saturday to watch us Yanks take on the English. He's even inviting a friend who's from the UK to watch with us. That way the friend can rib us if England wins...or rib us about how we don't know the game if England loses, I suppose! But it should all be in good fun, I hope.

So considering I don't know much about these 2 teams except that the USA barely scored in the last World Cup, who is expected to win this match?

England are obviously the favourites because, well to be fair, we just have superiour football ability.

HOWEVER,

You can't really say anything for sure, especially in football because matches are always all over the place and really anything can happen. In fact if I remember correctly the last time England and the US met the US won...

You yanks aren't looking so bad either, got a decent side. Should be a fun match to watch either way though.

Slay
The US will probably lose against England, but I can see them ending second in their group and progress into the second round, maybe even the quarter finals.

Deano
Originally posted by botankus

England will be expected to win and i expect them to win also. But it will only be if they play at there best. A sloppy start could give the USA a chance.

England do usually start slow and i expect the USA to come flying out the blocks early. I reckon 3-1 to England, but if the USA did win, it wouldn't come as a surprise because they are a very good side.

Liberator
This week is going by so slowly.

JUUUUST A FEW MOOOOORE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS.

Deano
yeh the wait is killing me. ive been watching my old footy dvds to keep me going.

Bicnarok

Slay
Oh God, oh God. The USA have a decent squad, and they're better than they've ever been but let's not exaggerate.

I don't believe the US football hype just like I don't believe the ''African international teams are on the same level as European and South American teams now''-hype.

The US will survive the group on a 2nd place, and will lose the 2nd round or quarter finals. No African team is getting past the quarter finals, maybe not even that far like last year, when supposedly an African team was going to progress far into the tournament.

Also, the US might win the World Cup one day but not because of their racial diversity. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. After all, England and The Netherlands have almost as racially diverse societies, and they haven't won a tournament in years.

botankus
Thanks for the replies, guys. For the first time, I'm actually pumped about watching it. My 5-month old daughter loves watching hockey (seriously, she cries when they cut to commercial break), so maybe she'll get into the World Cup a bit.

Deano
i believe the ivory coast could make it into the semi finals. They have a very good team

Slay
i believe the ivory coast could make it into the semi finals. They have a very good team
They have a tough group with Portugal and Brazil, but I do believe they'll survive it. After that they're probably up against Spain, which I don't think they'll win unless they optimally utilize their strength and defensive qualities.

§P0oONY
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10270467.stm

A nice little story.

Deano
They have a tough group with Portugal and Brazil, but I do believe they'll survive it. After that they're probably up against Spain, which I don't think they'll win unless they optimally utilize their strength and defensive qualities.

Thats true. They will lose to Spain i think.

I've now did some analyzing and it looks like it could be a Brazil Spain final.

http://samaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2010_World_Cup_Groups.jpg

Here i predict the world cup! We should all have a go and see who gets the nearest.

Group A - France Mexico

Group B - Argentina Greece

Group C - England USA

Group D - Germany Serbia

Group E - Holland Denmark

Group F - Italy Paraguay

Group G - Brazil Ivory Coast

Group H Spain Switzerland

2ND ROUND

France beat Greece
England beat Serbia
Germany beat USA
Argentina beat Mexico
Holland beat Paraguay
Brazil beat Switzerland
Italy beat Denmark
Spain beat Ivory Coast

Quarters

Brazil Beat Holland
England Beat France
Argentina beat Germany
Spain Beat Italy

Semi

Brazil Beat England
Spain Beat Argentina

Final

Spain Beat Brazil

Bicnarok
Oh God, oh God. The USA have a decent squad, and they're better than they've ever been but let's not exaggerate.

I don't believe the US football hype just like I don't believe the ''African international teams are on the same level as European and South American teams now''-hype.

The US will survive the group on a 2nd place, and will lose the 2nd round or quarter finals. No African team is getting past the quarter finals, maybe not even that far like last year, when supposedly an African team was going to progress far into the tournament.

Also, the US might win the World Cup one day but not because of their racial diversity. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. After all, England and The Netherlands have almost as racially diverse societies, and they haven't won a tournament in years.

Of course the "Hype" as you call it is over the top, and I share your opinion about the African teams who, due to thier lack of disipline crap, keepers and in depth lack of quality will be lucky to get past the group stages.

As for my "racial diversity" comment this has been disgusted before on here. What my point is ,is that if you have a variety of races originating from arround the world you have more possibilities in the team. Without generalising too much smile Hispanics for good center of gravity, keep the ball flat play, Northern Europeans for disiplined and airial supperiority, African for athleticism and Indians to play cricket.

Bicnarok
Thats true. They will lose to Spain i think.

I've now did some analyzing and it looks like it could be a Brazil Spain final.

http://samaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2010_World_Cup_Groups.jpg

Here i predict the world cup! We should all have a go and see who gets the nearest.

Good Ideasmile but be brave and add some scorelines.

Group A - Mexico France

Group B - Argentina Greece

Group C - England USA

Group D - Germany Serbia

Group E - Holland Denmark

Group F - Paraguay Italy

Group G - Brazil Ivory Coast

Group H - Spain Chile

2ND ROUND
Greece beat Mexico 1:0
England beat Serbia 3:1
Germany beat USA 2:0
Argentina beat France 4:0 (maradonna gets banned for some reason)
Holland beat Italy 3:0
Brazil beat Chille 6:4
Denmark beat Paraguay 2:0
Spain beat Ivory Coast 4:0

Quarters

Holland Beat Brazil (Robben is fit and rapes them) 4:2
England Beat Greece 2:0
Germany beat Argentina 2:1
Spain Beat Denmark 4:1

Semi

England Beat Netherlands 2:1
Spain Beat Germany 3:2

Final

Spain Beat England 2:0

Deano
i hope England get to the final!

Wheres AC anyway? What did he get banned for?

Slay
My predictions:

Group A - France, Uruguay
Group B - Argentina, Nigeria
Group C - England, USA
Group D - Germany, Serbia
Group E - Netherlands, Denmark
Group F - Italy, Paraguay
Group G - Brazil, Ivory Coast
Group H - Spain, Chile

Second Round:

France - Nigeria 2:0
Argentina - Uruguay 3:1
England - Serbia 3:2
Germany - USA 3:0
Netherlands - Paraguay 2:0
Italy - Denmark 1:0
Brazil - Chile 2:0
Spain - Ivory Coast 2:1

Quarters:

Netherlands - Brazil 2:1
France - England 3:2
Argentina - Germany 0:1, or 1:2, the win will be minimal.
Italy - Spain 1:3

Semis:

Netherlands - France 3:2
Germany - Spain 1:1 (Germany win after penalty shoot-outs)

Final:
Netherlands - Germany 2:1

Well, I actually expect Germany to win, but I want the Netherlands to win it.

Bicnarok

Slay

Deano
Germany always end up doing well. They are a well oiled team!

Liberator
France beating England...? France struggled against Ireland I don't think they have the faintest chance of ever doing any real harm this Cup.

Deano
doesnt matter about the past now. when the world cup starts expect anything to happen

Bicnarok

Slay

Slay
Originally posted by Liberator
France beating England...? France struggled against Ireland I don't think they have the faintest chance of ever doing any real harm this Cup.
Remember back in 2006 when everybody said that France wasn't going to do that well, and they almost won it? Or back in 1998 when nobody expected them to do that well, adn they won it?

Sure, now you can say that they had great players like Desailly, Pires, Zidane and Vieira, but they weren't big stars back then.

Liberator
England wins every match 10-0.

;D

ONLY A FEW HOURS MORE UNTIL THE FIRST KICKOFF OF THE WORLD CUP, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Bicnarok

Liberator
3 English fans killed in a bus accident with 19 injured. D:

justinwood
I support to brazil. They really deserve win these time. if they will we are going for a big party.

lord xyz
I'm just gonna predict the quarters onwards:

Netherlands 2 - 1 Brazil
England 2 - 1 France
Argentina 3 - 2 Germany
Spain 2 - 2 Italy (Spain win on penalties)

Semis:

Netherlands 3 - 1 England (Lets face it, England needs a good keeper)
Spain 3 - 2 Argentina

Third Final:

Argentina 2 - 1 England

Final:
Spain 2 - 0 Netherlands

I do think Portugal could survive their group and be against Spain, I also think Brazil have a very good chance against Netherlands.

And I think the score might then be:

England 2 - 1 Brazil (Never know)
Spain 2 - 0 England
Brazil - Argentina (oooh, now that would be the game to watch)

Deano
fantastic goal for south africa

Mairuzu
And mexico

Liberator
1-1 Final score line. Fantastic strike from South Africa I was extremely impressed with their play.

Should of been 2-1 to Mexico though aye? What was the call on?

lord xyz
South Africa goal was amazing, and South Africa definately had another chance near the end which would've been beautiful.

Neo_Version 7
That was definitely a great goal by S. Africa. I was actually surprised by how well they managed to exploit the weaknesses of Mexico's defense (the right-side in particular).

As my expectations weren't very high with the France - Uruguay match, I wasn't disappointed by the result.

Quiero Mota
"I'm telling ya, the England/US match is a really big match. In fact, the stakes are so high that whoever loses has to clean up the Gulf." - Jay Leno

"If the US loses to England, it will be disappointing. But if England loses to the US...well, there isn't enough beer in all of Britain that could drown the sorrow."- ABC World News reporter, Bradley Blackburn

Scythe
Originally posted by Mairuzu
And mexico

I was surprised they did well.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
"I'm telling ya, the England/US match is a really big match. In fact, the stakes are so high that whoever loses has to clean up the Gulf." - Jay Leno

"If the US loses to England, it will be disappointing. But if England loses to the US...well, there isn't enough beer in all of Britain that could drown the sorrow."- ABC World News reporter, Bradley Blackburn The silly yank obviously doesn't realise that this is not the knockout stage, so losing to the US would be disappointing but not devastating.

France deserve to get knocked out after that pitiful performance. SA and Mexico to survive Group A

Bicnarok
Well after seeing that totally pathetic game France v Uruguay last night the Korea v Greece game was brilliant.

Glad the Koreans won, they played with such passion and looked like they were really enjoying the experience. Greece are abismal, I can see them getting a really good hiding against Argentina.

Liberator
Agreed Bic, I was very disappointed in Greece's preformance. Is it just me or has the majority of teams (Not Korea!) not really seemed to be all into it this Cup?

Just about to leave to go watch the England v USA match and I really do say good luck to the yanks and I'm expecting a very tight match.

Who knows what'll happen, cheers!

Bicnarok

MildPossession
Well England got a draw against USA, 1-1... Come on England, can do better!

Bardock42
Originally posted by MildPossession
Come on England, can do better!

Oh yeah? Can they?

Robtard
Well after seeing that totally pathetic game France v Uruguay last night

Agreed, dull game, wanted to turn it off several times. Uruguay getting a red-card for that slide was total BS, that wasn't malicious, that ref sucks dirty balls. They're effectively out now.

Robtard

"If the US loses to England, it will be disappointing. But if England loses to the US...well, there isn't enough beer in all of Britain that could drown the sorrow."- ABC World News reporter, Bradley Blackburn
That tie was a plus to the USA.

I do feel bad for England's Green, that was a shameful rookie move. Guy's not going to live that down any time soon.

Deano
typical england really.

- a daft mistake to hand the opposition a goal

- heskey played well but cant score

typical

Bicnarok

MildPossession
They will blame the ball if they don't get through. stick out tongue

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh yeah? Can they? They so can.

I think Green making that mistake will encourage him to play better, but Hart must definately play against against Slovenia, and maybe Hart in the majority of games.

typical england really.

typical I agree, Heskey plays well but can't score. Should've put Crouch on at the beginning of the first half.

WickedDynamite
Looks like the Obama slogan "YES WE CAN" worked for the American team. Too bad I don't care about soccer...otherwise I would root for them.

So, meh!

lord xyz
I meant the second half btw.

§P0oONY
typical england really.

typical Your post is typical England... Such negativtity...

England actually had a very good game. It was not perfect but a great stepping stone. Anyone who thinks that the US deserved a draw is wrong, England were simply dominant, They only got it due to the Green fumble, something that couldn't have been accounted for.

The "Heskey played well but didn't score" arguement is a silly one... Heskey isn't really in the squad to score, he is there because he is a fantastic team player who creates chances. Granted he should have put away that chance but as I said the game was a great stepping stone.

People can jump and attack England like they always do when England does anything but win but I'm not going to. There is a lot to take out of that game agaisnt the US and I still believe that we're favourites to finish the group on top.

lord xyz

Quiero Mota

Bicnarok

lord xyz

Deano

Slay
Has anyone noticed that the level of goaliekeeprs at this tournament is dramatic? Not just Green, but Algeria's goalie made a huge mistake, Mexico's goalie was a disgrace to the World Cup etc. The only goalies that have had impressive performances were from Nigeria and South Africa.

I didn't see the entire England-USA match, but from what I saw the US' defence was terrible. England didn't impress me much either, but then I didn't expect them to play that well in this stage of the tournament anyway.

I had to correct a couple of my predictions already, I think the first two groups are going to be quite exciting when it comes to what teams are going to go through.

Liberator
Ohh England what have we done now.

USA first half was dreadful we can all admit to that, they got the lucky goal at the end there that really set them off second half. The US played a remarkable match I am going to give them that, Tim Howard is just brilliant.

Why oh why was DeFoe not in? Why was King starting over Carragher? Why is GReene in the damned net in the first place? He's had a rough season with West Ham, I understood letting him play the full match it would kill him otherwise.

Bics right, they need a system. Football isn't just about who can score what goal it's about working together creating wonderous chances. Let's admit it, Gerrards first goal was a stunner not because of his footwork but because of the play that was setup. Rooney was asleep until the last ten minutes and he failed to produce anything worth while.

If England can keep the ball on the ground they'll score a lot more, smashing the ball up field hasn't worked, they witnessed that last night.

It's early though, I have no doubt that England will progress out of the group stages but they need to shape up as a team.

I was so disappointed sad

But, we can only look forward now can't we?

Bardock42
Good start for Germany.

§P0oONY
Great start... I can feel their odds shortening as we speak.

Bardock42
I thought that was a rather exciting game, probably the most exciting so far. Lots of chances, Germany played well but actually gave a way a couple of great ones. Makes me hope for more anyways.

Some of the cards though seemed unnecessary, especially the red for Australia.

geshien
It's been a very entertaining tournament.

USA drawing with England, honestly, was more than I expected. Howard is exceptional though.

S.Korea beat Greece 2-0, so I'm happy about that.

And Germany is playing very well; as expected.

Bicnarok
Germany were impressive 4 goals from 4 different players and loads of chances. Mind you the Aussies looked very tired, the game against Serbia will be more difficult.

Quiero Mota
The Aussies got destroyed, it almost seems like they threw the game.

And those plastic 'vuvuzela' horns are starting to drive me insane.

§P0oONY
I've already gotten used to the horns. They're not bothering me anymore.

Germany game was very entertaining... Minus the last 10-15 mins... Which were very boring. (which is understandable.)

Bardock42
Oh the horns are so annoying...they weren't as bad in this game I thought as in the earlier ones today.

Bicnarok
On one TV channel they discussed the horns and play a clip of a game with or without the horns, they must have filtlered it somehow.

I would like that filter NOW aghhhhaghaghh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lord xyz
Hart

Johnson - Dawson - Terry - A. Cole

Lennon - Lampard/Gerrard - Barry - J. Cole

Rooney/Crouch

I think England should try having Lampard or Gerrard in, because with both of them, one of them underplays while the other overplays.

As a partnership it doesn't work. I think they passed to eachother once in the entire game.

Liberator
I'm sure the horns will dissappear after a few matches. As people try them out they'll realise how obnoxious they are.

I bet the knockout round wont have any.

Deano
Originally posted by lord xyz
Hart

Johnson - Dawson - Terry - A. Cole

Lennon - Lampard/Gerrard - Barry - J. Cole

Rooney/Crouch

I think England should try having Lampard or Gerrard in, because with both of them, one of them underplays while the other overplays.

As a partnership it doesn't work. I think they passed to eachother once in the entire game.

i agree with that team. but i would put Gerrard behind Rooney and let Barry hold for Lampard

Bardock42
I'm sure the horns will dissappear after a few matches. As people try them out they'll realise how obnoxious they are.

I bet the knockout round wont have any.

Well, the commentators on the shows I watched said it is sort of a South African thing to have them... so I am not sure, they are definitely not getting banned apparently.Originally posted by Bicnarok
On one TV channel they discussed the horns and play a clip of a game with or without the horns, they must have filtlered it somehow.

I would like that filter NOW aghhhhaghaghh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that, too, the "filter" was very much appreciated, it would be great if they could do that in real time...but I assume they just took the sound from a game where they didn't have horns and put it over rather than do anything cool computery to filter it out

Scythe
I liked the way Germany played today.

botankus
Germany looked amazing. Very crisp. At the 70' mark, every Australian looked like they were begging to be subbed out.

I swear, ten minutes before the Green gaffe I was talking to someone about how I was impressed with how goalies still used basic fundamentals even at this level. Like making the save first, then controlling the ball second, etc....

lord xyz
i agree with that team. but i would put Gerrard behind Rooney and let Barry hold for Lampard A lot of people have been saying that actually, although, isn't that how we played against Portugal last time?

Tbh, I just don't like Gerrard or Rooney.

RogerRamjet
Originally posted by Scythe
I liked the way Germany played today.

heh... they sucked

Liberator
A lot of people have been saying that actually, although, isn't that how we played against Portugal last time?

Those are both fantastic players though, neccessary to the England squad. and Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player in the midfield to say otherwise would be lying. after all, he did get the only England goal in the match against the US and him and Lampard were the only ones seemingly trying to find another.

Deano
A lot of people have been saying that actually, although, isn't that how we played against Portugal last time?

better than carrick or heskey though

Liberator
Japan 1 Cameroon 0.

exact opposite of what I thought. Cameroon seemed to dominate second half though.

Bicnarok

lord xyz
Those are both fantastic players though, neccessary to the England squad. and Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player in the midfield to say otherwise would be lying. after all, he did get the only England goal in the match against the US and him and Lampard were the only ones seemingly trying to find another. I don't think you could say that. Lennon and swp definately took chances and made crosses.

better than carrick or heskey though Aye.

Bicnarok

lord xyz
Brazil vs North Korea

I soooo want a North Korea win.

Robtard
Brazil vs North Korea

I soooo want a North Korea win.

Why?

Robtard
Oh the horns are so annoying.

Agreed. Must be especially annoying to the players.

There's talks of having them banned, not sure how true that is though.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
Why?

Would be a huge underdog story. Regardless of North Korea being a bit of a horrible country. The obstacles those players have to overcome, most of them not being allowed to compete in the good leagues, even if they could, would just make a rather nice story. Beating the perhaps best team in the world, would be epic...I am hoping for that, too, although I don't think it could happen.

Robtard
Would be a huge underdog story. Regardless of North Korea being a bit of a horrible country. The obstacles those players have to overcome, most of them not being allowed to compete in the good leagues, even if they could, would just make a rather nice story. Beating the perhaps best team in the world, would be epic...I am hoping for that, too, although I don't think it could happen.

Mostly agreed. Personally, I'm tired of seeing Brazil win so many, though I do love to watch them play, from a skill point of view.

Game's starting!

Deano
so far so good for korea at half time. defended well

Robtard
Also impressed at how non-pussy-like their players are, they get hurt, minimal crying and posturing about the field.

Bicnarok

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
Also impressed at how non-pussy-like their players are, they get hurt, minimal crying and posturing about the field.

What, you expected them to be pansies?

Bardock42
I enjoyed that game. North Korea played rather well.

Robtard
What, you expected them to be pansies?

No. Just happy they didn't employ the fake-falls/injuries like many other teams do when trying to gain an edge.

Robtard
I enjoyed that game. North Korea played rather well.

One of the better games so far.

Mairuzu
Amazing effort by korea. More amazing goals by brazil.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>