Barda vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Fight 1. Hand to hand combat only, with the Beta Rod and Hammer used as melee weapons, and not tapping the other abilities.

Fight 2. Full combat capabilities.

Who wins?

the Darkone
Thor in both, Thor is older, stronger, more durable, more expiernce in weapon, Thor is a force of nature.

Konton
I'd give them a 5/5 split for the first scenario.

Second could go either way too. Thor has more offensive power, but Barda can always just use the motherbox.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Barda taking a split in a brawl with Thor?

When did she become physically superior to Superman?

Q99
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Barda taking a split in a brawl with Thor?

When did she become physically superior to Superman?

Well she has KOed him before in the Bryne Superman run.

I wouldn't say it's a split, but she does get some wins.

bbrem123
since when did thor becomes physically superior to supes?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Since he killed the Void in one shot.

Originally posted by Q99

You're referring to Action Comics #592 right? I recall she blasted him with the Mega Rod twice. Was it a surprise attack? I don't remember and I don't have the issue with me.

However you need more evidence than Barda knocking out that Superman to support her taking a split from Thor.

iceman24567
She ain't taking a split from Thor

Tazer
Yo.

Originally posted by the Darkone
Thor in both, Thor is older, stronger, more durable, more expiernce in weapon, Thor is a force of nature.

yep

Tazer

JakeTheBank
Thor in both.

The Nuul
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Thor in both.

Q99

However you need more evidence than Barda knocking out that Superman to support her taking a split from Thor.

I agree. Thor does take the solid majority.

Warlord
Thor

bbrem123

lol...no ur suppose to say since always...that would be the correct answer

cdtm
Originally posted by Q99

Supes was also KOed by a firepit, and Barba went partially into one to fight an Ash Crawler.

cdtm

You're referring to Action Comics #592 right? I recall she blasted him with the Mega Rod twice. Was it a surprise attack? I don't remember and I don't have the issue with me.

There's also her performance against DC's Thor in Byrnes "Jack Kirby's New Gods", when Lightray compared Thor's fighting ability to Orions, and not only felt that Barda could handle that level of combat, but that she could outright replace Orion as New Genesis's new champion.

Personally, I'd give the edge to Thor with full hammer abilities, and call it a split or at most a 6/10 edge to Thor in pure hand to hand. She WAS the head female fury on Apokolips for a reason, and probably only surpassed by Orion as a pure fighter..

In a comic fight, Barda and Thor would probably consider it good sport, and fight near indefinately until someone broke it up... (Think when Barda fought Knockout, another Fury. And Knockout is no pushover.. Gave Superboy hell, and helped him with a sick, yet still dangerous, Valor.)

Q99
Originally posted by cdtm
Supes was also KOed by a firepit, and Barba went partially into one to fight an Ash Crawler.

Well yea, but that's because she's not a scrawny little kryptonian.

Rage.Of.Olympus
There's also her performance against DC's Thor in Byrnes "Jack Kirby's New Gods", when Lightray compared Thor's fighting ability to Orions, and not only felt that Barda could handle that level of combat, but that she could outright replace Orion as New Genesis's new champion.

Personally, I'd give the edge to Thor with full hammer abilities, and call it a split or at most a 6/10 edge to Thor in pure hand to hand. She WAS the head female fury on Apokolips for a reason, and probably only surpassed by Orion as a pure fighter..

In a comic fight, Barda and Thor would probably consider it good sport, and fight near indefinately until someone broke it up... (Think when Barda fought Knockout, another Fury. And Knockout is no pushover.. Gave Superboy hell, and helped him with a sick, yet still dangerous, Valor.)

I haven't actually read that, so I'll just ask, is there any particular reason stalemating DC Thor should impress me? I mean, has DC Thor actually done anything in the past that would make stalemating him an impressive feat. I remember he died fighting in a thousand year war with Clark and Diana but that's about it.

Wow, Barda must have some really amazing feats I'm not aware of.

Any particular reason why being the lead Female Fury would be impressive or support the statement that she could get a near split with Thor?

No, they probably wouldn't. In a comic fight, chances are he dismisses her and takes on a big dog like Clark or Marvel.

He gave Superboy hell? Well, that settles it then. Barda is on par with Superman physically without a doubt in my mind.

guy222
Thor wins

cdtm
I haven't actually read that, so I'll just ask, is there any particular reason stalemating DC Thor should impress me? I mean, has DC Thor actually done anything in the past that would make stalemating him an impressive feat. I remember he died fighting in a thousand year war with Clark and Diana but that's about it.

Wow, Barda must have some really amazing feats I'm not aware of.

Any particular reason why being the lead Female Fury would be impressive or support the statement that she could get a near split with Thor?

No, they probably wouldn't. In a comic fight, chances are he dismisses her and takes on a big dog like Clark or Marvel.

He gave Superboy hell? Well, that settles it then. Barda is on par with Superman physically without a doubt in my mind.

So what you're saying is you know nothing of Barda, likely as much about the New Gods, and don't particularly care because Thor's your boy. Ok.

Also, might want to work on those reading comprehension skills a little.. I never said Barda gave Superboy hell. I said Knockout did, in addition to helping Superboy beat up Valor. Knockout is another Fury of Apokolips, and someone Barda fought to a draw.

And since you probably don't know who Valor is, he's a Daxamite. Maybe you're recognize him by his other name: Mon El, of the Legion of Super Heroes.

cdtm
Originally posted by Konton

Second could go either way too. Thor has more offensive power, but Barda can always just use the motherbox.

Physically, I think they're a good match. Barda's class 100, probably more or less in Herc's range, highly skilled in hand to hand, and pretty durable to blunt force (And can even take bullets to an extent, although she's weak against piercing damage)

Thor gets the edge in raw strength, but Barda's at least comparable to Wonder Woman.

A few noteworthy feats:

Narrowly losing a sparring match with Wonder Woman, but getting WW to admit she would have won had Diana not forced her to give up her weapon after Barda disarmed WW, to make the match fair. It really could've gone either way, looking at the fight.

Defeating Wonder Woman 1 million. While she did finish her off with a weapon she borrowed from Steel, she didn't have the gun at the start of the match, and it's kind of redundant as her Mega Rod doubles as a nerve beam...

Fighting Knockout to a draw. Knockout smacked out Mon El, and Superboy in the past...

Restraining an enraged Orion.

Joker793
Barda coz she is hot

Warlord
she was hot in that Plastic Man dress...wink

celeyhyga17

no

and

no

Q99

Also, might want to work on those reading comprehension skills a little.. I never said Barda gave Superboy hell. I said Knockout did, in addition to helping Superboy beat up Valor. Knockout is another Fury of Apokolips, and someone Barda fought to a draw.

And by 'Draw,' Knockout was barely standing by the end. It was really impressive of her to even hold off Barda basically, iirc.

celeyhyga17
yeah Barda could be a beast. she has the mega rod that could KO very durable opponents. im guessing she's even wearing her apocalyptan armor on this match which has been known to boost her str and dur some. i still dont see her taking the majority over Thor in both match settings.

cdtm
Originally posted by Q99
And by 'Draw,' Knockout was barely standing by the end. It was really impressive of her to even hold off Barda basically, iirc.

About halfway through it looked like Knockout was barely standing, but seemed like she got her second wind. By the very end, she was talking fine, asking Barda if she wanted to stop, and shook hands in mid air after leaping out of that iced over water.

Although yeah, even holding your own is impressive. Impressed Barda enough to compliment her.

Rage.Of.Olympus
So what you're saying is you know nothing of Barda, likely as much about the New Gods, and don't particularly care because Thor's your boy. Ok.

And since you probably don't know who Valor is, he's a Daxamite. Maybe you're recognize him by his other name: Mon El, of the Legion of Super Heroes.

Based on the fact that I didn't read an issue that featured an impressive showing of Barda you can come to the conclusion I know nothing of her and the New Gods? Lol. Thor being my boy has nothing to do with my opinion here. I just haven't seen the evidence necessary to suggest that she would take a near split from Thor.

So by your lack of an answer I'm assuming DC Thor hasn't actually done anything noteworthy for us to judge whether or not, taking him on is impressive.

Irony. Since it's obvious that reading comprehension isn't one of your strong suits, let me break down our conversation to you:

- You said that Barda stalemated Knockout, a being who gave Superboy hell etc.
- Then I stated that based on the fact that Knockout gave Superboy hell, Barda would undoubtedly beat Thor (As Barda was able to stalemate Knockout who was able to something as amazing as give Superboy hell.). I was of course being sarcastic if you didn't notice.

no expression

I know who Valor is.

cdtm
Well, there is Barda matching Wonder Woman. She lost, but not easily and could have won if not for WW's insistence on a "fair fight", e.g. Barda not allowed to use her weapon.

Oddly enough, Wonder Woman won due to her ability to fly, catching Barda off guard with a sucker kick. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I mean, if you're gonna get holier than thou about fair play, maybe stay grounded against an opponent who doesn't have the ability to fly under her own power?

Q99
It wasn't insistance on a fair fight- Wonder Woman actually disarmed her.

Here's the fight in question:

http://img57.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img57&image=MM6-1.jpg
http://img68.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img68&image=MM6-2.jpg
http://img68.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img68&image=MM6-3.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-4.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-5.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-6.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-7.jpg
http://img59.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img59&image=MM6-8.jpg
http://img59.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img59&image=MM6-9.jpg

(Disarm in page 6)

Honestly it seemed like a perfectly legitimate move to me. I think they were just talking hypotheticals and battle philosophy.

cdtm
Originally posted by Q99
It wasn't insistance on a fair fight- Wonder Woman actually disarmed her.

Here's the fight in question:

http://img57.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img57&image=MM6-1.jpg
http://img68.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img68&image=MM6-2.jpg
http://img68.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img68&image=MM6-3.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-4.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-5.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-6.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img54&image=MM6-7.jpg
http://img59.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img59&image=MM6-8.jpg
http://img59.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img59&image=MM6-9.jpg

(Disarm in page 6)

Honestly it seemed like a perfectly legitimate move to me. I think they were just talking hypotheticals and battle philosophy.

I actually edited my message because it wasn't the Mega Rod Barda was talking about, it was her staff. My mistake.

I guess WW didn't want Barda using her stave for the match, on account that she didn't have a weapon to use. So, she used Barda's stave, and let her use her Mega Rod.

Which still makes it wrong for her to use her exclusive flight ability. If I was Barda, I'd insist on a no flying rule if she was insisting on a no weapon vs unarmed combatant rule..

It's only fair, as the range on the battle staff would help even up Barda's flying disadvantage.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thanks for that Q99. I was about to go dig for the issue.

That was a nice performance for Barda, but based on that fight, her taking a near split with Thor is well.....they aren't good.

Was this before the first or second upgrade for Diana?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Well, there is Barda matching Wonder Woman. She lost, but not easily and could have won if not for WW's insistence on a "fair fight", e.g. Barda not allowed to use her weapon.

Oddly enough, Wonder Woman won due to her ability to fly, catching Barda off guard with a sucker kick. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I mean, if you're gonna get holier than thou about fair play, maybe stay grounded against an opponent who doesn't have the ability to fly under her own power?

It wasn't really off guard. Barda saw her coming and had her arms raised in a defensive position. Diana is just faster.

Wonder Woman is considered one of the most hypocritical characters by a lot of people I've come across.

Prep-Man
Barda has displayed faster feats than WW, IMO.

cdtm
Originally posted by Prep-Man

Speaking outside of combat feats, IMO Barda's characterization was all off in her JLA run..

I liked her much better in Birds of Prey.

Q99
Hm, why didn't Diana have her lasso, or staff, or sword or similar? Kinda odd.

The mega rod is better than the staff, and really in most fights they would be both armed.

Wonder Woman is considered one of the most hypocritical characters by a lot of people I've come across.

Which is ironic, considering in her book she's very much not hypocritical and is quite down-to-earth and strait forwardly honest about most things. Spirit of truth and all that.

People have this odd image of her as high-and-aloof, which is generally pretty different than how she actually acts.

Diana's best speed feats include catching someone at the edge of the speed force, which I don't think Barda can top.

Konton
People just think she's hypocritical because Circe says so.

JakeTheBank
I don't get a sense of hypocrisy from Diana at all. The whole "Amazon warrior upbringing/diplomat aiming for world peace" is an interesting parallel and sense of duality, but nothing I would fault her as a character for.

Q99
One gets the sense that some people think she's talking down at them and standing separate due to simply her power and position (one of her human villains from Rucka's run, Veronica Cale, definitely did, so it's not even purely an out-of-universe thing either).

Of course, this is a person who worked at a McDonalds and sincerely apologized and offered to resign for missing work, the noble task of providing food for others, due to having to stop a supervillain. smile Her boss gave her a pass.

Omega Vision
People just think she's hypocritical because Circe says so.
Circe is hot. I listen to what hot women say/think. sneer

celeyhyga17

disagree.
she entered the speed force......

Q99
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Circe is hot. I listen to what hot women say/think. sneer

Also she's likely actively mind-controlled you with sorcery, which is always a tough argument. wink

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Q99
Also she's likely actively mind-controlled you with sorcery, which is always a tough argument. wink
She doesn't need magic for that.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Yea, how the hell did Diana run into the Speed Force? Unless you are connected to it, you shouldn't even be aware of it. It's not a matter of how fast your going but whether or not you have a connection to it. That's how I understood it at least.

I recall thinking that Diana entered through Jesse. She left the window to the Speed Force open as she entered etc.

Q99
Yea, how the hell did Diana run into the Speed Force? Unless you are connected to it, you shouldn't even be aware of it. It's not a matter of how fast your going but whether or not you have a connection to it. That's how I understood it at least.

I recall thinking that Diana entered through Jesse. She left the window to the Speed Force open as she entered etc.

A speedster needs to go at the speed of light to reach it, so speed is a requirement, but yea, Diana shouldn't be able to get there without a connection, so I don't know if Diana was actually in it so much as she was running fast enough to stay close to Jesse who was at the edge, and the thing was probably from Jesse's PoV. From Diana's, it might've just looked like Quick was running and starting to transform into energy.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Q99
A speedster needs to go at the speed of light to reach it, so speed is a requirement, but yea, Diana shouldn't be able to get there without a connection, so I don't know if Diana was actually in it so much as she was running fast enough to stay close to Jesse who was at the edge, and the thing was probably from Jesse's PoV. From Diana's, it might've just looked like Quick was running and starting to transform into energy.

The speed necessary to enter the Speed Force isn't that great. If you take the quick route, all one needs to do is break the light barrier and they can enter it. Plenty of beings can reach and go beyond that speed at this point in comics. However to enter as I stated it, you need a connection.

I think it makes more sense to assume Diana ran right behind Jesse, or was dragged in with her or something similar (I don't really care.) than Diana breaking into the Speed Force on her own. It would be the first and only time a non Flash family member entered the Speed Force on their own as far as I know.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
disagree.
she entered the speed force......

1 feat, but then again, all New Gods have shown FTL speed. So it's not that big of a deal. Even Superman was surprised.

Konton
I just thought anybody who was fast enough to break the light barrier could ENTER the speed force and only the Flashes and related speedsters could CONTROL it.

Q99
1 feat, but then again, all New Gods have shown FTL speed. So it's not that big of a deal. Even Superman was surprised.

The funny thing is, tons of characters demonstrate FTL speed when flying around- yet Jay Garrick is equal or faster than pretty much all of them on the ground, and he's stated that Wally's the only speedforcer who can go FTL unaided. And sometimes Flashes go *way* FTL without brushing near it (like Wally evacuating an entire city in moments in JLA Trial By Fire).

Quite simply, Comic Writers have no sense of Scale, when it comes to speed smile

It's easier to say "this character is faster than that one when they're compared" than to say much in RL terms.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I just thought anybody who was fast enough to break the light barrier could ENTER the speed force and only the Flashes and related speedsters could CONTROL it.

Nah. From everything I've read (Which is pretty extensive.), the beings not connected to the Speed Force are not aware of it. Hence why someone like Clark hasn't accidentally entered it.

Blanket
Hence why someone like Clark hasn't accidentally entered it. He's not fast enough.

iceman24567
Originally posted by Blanket
He's not fast enough. Wrong

Blanket
Originally posted by iceman24567
Wrong
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2506/4043560187_f56840c6e6_o.gif

iceman24567
Oh noes Sexyama i gots a eboner eek!

Warlord
Originally posted by Blanket
He's not fast enough.

he's not awesome enough

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.