is there an absolute level of intelligence?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
is there a level of intellegence that once your there you cannot possibly be any smarter?

lets say the human race survives for 3billion years , wouldnt we know everthing and anything about science and the universe that can possibly be known?
and wouldnt we have technology by then so advance that it cannot be anything more advanced?

Symmetric Chaos
First you really have to define intelligence.

But in very generic terms the smartest brain possible would be one made out of all the matter in the universe.

Shakyamunison
I don't know.

Colossus-Big C
never realised your avatar blinks every minute or so?

inimalist
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
is there a level of intellegence that once your there you cannot possibly be any smarter?

lets say the human race survives for 3billion years , wouldnt we know everthing and anything about science and the universe that can possibly be known?
and wouldnt we have technology by then so advance that it cannot be anything more advanced?

knowlegde is not the same as intelligence. For instance, we might anthropize wikipedia and say it is knowledgeable, but it is not intelligent, it is just a store of information, not a problem solving machine.

I'd imagine people who lived in such a world that you describe would have an apparent lack of motivation to become intelligent, while they might know many things, their technology is probably making any difficult task which would require people to develop real problem solving skills obscelete. Even today, interpersonal emotional intelligence is being replaced by ever more complex self-marketing through social networking that brings people together by keeping them isolated in fron of their computer

kgkg
Knowledge is potentially infinite depending on the size of the all things that are out there.

If things are truly infinite than I can see at least knowledge being infinite. Intelligence is a little trickier it really depends how you define it.

Juk3n
intelligence is relevent to the individual, knowledge is relevnt to the community. In 3billion years, there will likely be some people dumber than others. But as stated above, we (as a people) would still have more knowledge about how our world/galaxy/universe works.

Mindship
EDIT ... until I have the time to come up with an intelligent answer.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Juk3n
intelligence is relevent to the individual, knowledge is relevnt to the community. In 3billion years, there will likely be some people dumber than others. But as stated above, we (as a people) would still have more knowledge about how our world/galaxy/universe works. would we look different then?

Shakyamunison
would we look different then?

We most likely will be extinct in 3 billion years.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
We most likely will be extinct in 3 billion years.

if we wasnt

Shakyamunison
if we wasnt

Then we would look different.

Mindship

lets say the human race survives for 3billion years , wouldnt we know everthing and anything about science and the universe that can possibly be known? As far as we know, quantum mechanics places a limit on what can be known. Since knowledge/information is limited, I would think anything which processes information is therefore limited, and intelligence may be considered as that which processes information for solving problems.

This is not just with empirical science. Transcendent/spiritual philosophies also place a limit on what can be known.

and wouldnt we have technology by then so advance that it cannot be anything more advanced? I've often wondered: given what we know regarding the laws of physics, what would be the most advanced tech possible? At what scale would it's smallest components operate? How large an engineering project could it take on?

I think this is what Stephen Baxter intended Xeelee tech to be.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mindship
As far as we know, quantum mechanics places a limit on what can be known. Since knowledge/information is limited, I would think anything which processes information is therefore limited, and intelligence may be considered as that which processes information for solving problems.

Yes, quantum mechanics also places an upper limit on information processing and storage. There is a point when you cannot unamigiously determine the needed information. Similarly relativity places an upper limit on thinking speed.

At what scale would it's smallest components operate?

Not much smaller than nano-tech I would bet. Once you drop below that it gets harder and harder to power to indivudual pieces. They also get increasingly fragile.

How large an engineering project could it take on?

With immortal engineers there's no limit. You just have to wait and keep the Shwarzild radius in mind.

King Kandy
if we wasnt
We would be. Humans, as we know them, will definitely not be around.

FistOfThe North
the mind is unimaginably unlimited.

Quiero Mota
if we wasnt

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/WatchOut_02/Ebonics.jpg

Daylan.O
I think intelligence has a threshold... But what do I know... I'm just a arrogant naive teenager... I'd elaborate but it would take too long

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Daylan.O
I'm just a arrogant naive teenager... Honesty has never been so deceptive.

inimalist
Originally posted by Daylan.O
I think intelligence has a threshold...

... like what? There is a "maximally/minimally smart"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.