Why do people like Wolverine so much?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Psychopath001
He is so VASTLY over rated. I mean, WOW. I don't think I have ever seen any comic book character put on a higher pedestal than they deserve more than this dude. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like him, quite a bit, but it's getting way too much.

Yes he has adamantium claws, and yes he has a healing factor, but so what? With the sort of beings roaming the universe and even the ones just on earth, I don't understand why there is so much hype being made about a character whose primary function is to keep taking incredible hits because he's not powerful enough to dish incredible ones out.

jinzin
What he lacks in power he makes up for in precision deadliness.

And Wolverine's actually far more hated by the comic book community then celebrated. The people who do like him are typically casual comic-based media fans only familiar with his character design, the movies, and the cartoons.

As for us actual comic readers who like him... There's tons of reasons.

He is an underdog type of character, everyone wants to believe in the underdog.
He's the ultimate anti-hero; he has a realistic view on how to deal with terroristic super villains, and takes that responsibility of taking lives on his own consciense and soul.
He's fearless; to have fear is to be caged, Wolverine is not afraid to run headfirst into situations that present nothing but an oppurtunity for pain.
At the end of the day though it's like Wizard said sometime ago. Wolverine doesn't live in stark lines of right and wrong, he understands that a grey area exists and he's constantly trying to exist within that area because he doesn't presume one way to be the best way, at the end of the day he's just a man, trying to be better than he is... and I think we can all relate to that.

As far as fights go on the forums.. he gets put into a lot of battles that are melee oriented fights, and those are the types of fights he excells at. No overration about it, that's just how it is.

Omgu8mynewt
He's cool - he's been around a lot, been in many teams and situations and got a lot of experience. He doesn't bother being polite to everyone and getting along with everyone, but says what he thinks. He's different in the comics in that he's a major player but seems sometimes like an angry old man, not a perfect super hero at all

namorsubby
It's astounding to me how much "fanboyism" can ruin other people's outlook on a character, even though I must admit I myself had been one of those who had their affinity for the character of Wolverine soured when I first started posting on message boards and witnessed what it was really like. And to think back in the day, around the time the first X-men movie came out, Wolverine was one of my all time, absolute favorite characters. I even used to watch the X-men cartoon early saturday morning just to see him. It's ashamed really.It's just all the fuss some of these posters make about him, especially in vs forums. Some of those guys are just plain Loco, others seem to be very intelligent and competent debaters to me, who still IMO over-rate him a little, but only because they have such vast knowledge of the character and just frankly seem to think that no one else knows better. Some guys are kinda half way in between Loco and the latter.lol

Recently though, I've gotta say, I've been growing more and more fond of the character. Oh no....what if I become that which I hate the most.lol

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by jinzin
What he lacks in power he makes up for in precision deadliness.

And Wolverine's actually far more hated by the comic book community then celebrated. The people who do like him are typically casual comic-based media fans only familiar with his character design, the movies, and the cartoons.

As for us actual comic readers who like him... There's tons of reasons.

He is an underdog type of character, everyone wants to believe in the underdog.
He's the ultimate anti-hero; he has a realistic view on how to deal with terroristic super villains, and takes that responsibility of taking lives on his own consciense and soul.
He's fearless; to have fear is to be caged, Wolverine is not afraid to run headfirst into situations that present nothing but an oppurtunity for pain.
At the end of the day though it's like Wizard said sometime ago. Wolverine doesn't live in stark lines of right and wrong, he understands that a grey area exists and he's constantly trying to exist within that area because he doesn't presume one way to be the best way, at the end of the day he's just a man, trying to be better than he is... and I think we can all relate to that.

As far as fights go on the forums.. he gets put into a lot of battles that are melee oriented fights, and those are the types of fights he excells at. No overration about it, that's just how it is.

he's hated because i think some of his fans are a little too much on the wolverade. the character is actually "cool", but his large fanbase are a little too rabid which in turn makes him annoying to others.

gogogadgetgo
i personally use to like wolverine and think that he was awsome. but marvel has been wanking on him so much that i've grown to dislike him a bit.

started with the x-men movies, where he was like portrayed as the most awsome x-man and turning everyone else into suck ass whimps.

then we have the cartoon wolverine and the x-men. WTF? wolverine has no business leading the x-men.

he's a foot soldger and they should keep it that way. leadership belongs to the likes of cyclops and storm and profesor x.

Sabrial
i love this movie because there is lot of action and suspense in this movie. and Logan has better personality in this movie.

Kazenji
Personally i liked the character ever since the X-men 90's cartoon and i agree with what he can do with his healing can get over the top sometimes but then that comes back to the writer.

JakeTheBank
Wolverine is a edgy character. He kills and maims people and does thing the average "heroic" person wouldn't even consider. He has an interesting moral compass and back story and his power set enables him to fight most people in close combat.

As one of Marvel's flagship characters, it's only natural his fanbase is pretty passionate, probably just as much as say, Hulk's. I do think people take it a bit too far, but the same could be said about every other popular comic book character out there. I will say I don't think he should have ever had multiple ongoings nor be on multiple teams at once. That and his healing factor has been blown out of proportion by writers to the point that people think it takes nothing short of Hulk to KO or outright beat him which is pretty ridiculous.

He's a cool guy, but not in overwhelming doses.

killermover
Wolvie ain't a hero. He's a rebel without a cause, and is the first guy a comics to be successful with that trope. BUt it's hard to make him ain stream to children since he's a killer and a anti heroic foil to the x men verse. It's annoying when he does nothing with his claws accept slash machines to pieces instead of human flesh, in the cartoons anyway.

Mindset
Most of his fans are beta males who wish they could be like him.

Like jinzin...

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9783/angryfacezoomed.gif

jinzin
Creepy, disturbing, insulting and funny.... AND all at the same time..... Impressive.... most impressive.

Besides that, I have no idea what you mean.. I AAAMMM like him... hmph!

wannabe
Originally posted by Mindset
Most of his fans are beta males who wish they could be like him. ... Simple truth, though i'd say there are loads of omegas, too. yes

Among those male comic fans i know, and there are a lot, Wolverine gets less interesting and less appealing the more selfconfident, complacent, sure of their masculinity and independent of machismo they are.

Sabrial
its too good movie i like it very much. most characters of this movie are my favorite, that is the the main reason of my liking this movie.

wannabe
Originally posted by Sabrial
its too good movie i like it very much. most characters of this movie are my favorite, that is the the main reason of my liking this movie.
huh You do realize, that this discussion is about the character Wolverine in general, not about his movie?

Badabing
Originally posted by Psychopath001
He is so VASTLY over rated. I mean, WOW. I don't think I have ever seen any comic book character put on a higher pedestal than they deserve more than this dude. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like him, quite a bit, but it's getting way too much.

Yes he has adamantium claws, and yes he has a healing factor, but so what? With the sort of beings roaming the universe and even the ones just on earth, I don't understand why there is so much hype being made about a character whose primary function is to keep taking incredible hits because he's not powerful enough to dish incredible ones out. I have 2 words for you...Snikt Bub. durverine

/thread

Luke Cage
Wolverine's one of Marvel's flagships and he's a popular character because he is an anti-hero.

The main reason people in the comic book community hate him is because of his jobber aura, which means he tends to hold his own and sometimes even beat people outside his weight class.

mastagambit
I am so glad Wolverine and the X-Men was cancelled.He has no business leading a team.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by mastagambit
I am so glad Wolverine and the X-Men was cancelled.He has no business leading a team.
first there this is about comic wolverine not some shitty tv show.

second Logans led numerous teams including x-men, team x, military teams, alpha flight teams and currently leads x-force. Scot amoung many others have commented on how good of a leader he is dispite not wishing to lead himself.

mastagambit
Originally posted by Battlehammer
first there this is about comic wolverine not some shitty tv show.

second Logans led numerous teams including x-men, team x, military teams, alpha flight teams and currently leads x-force. Scot amoung many others have commented on how good of a leader he is dispite not wishing to lead himself.

I mentioned the 'shitty' tv show because his character is like that show.
Second,in the comics any team Logan leads doesnt last long. I wouldnt even call it that he leads X-Force,Cable is more of a leader than him in that series,and isnt it going to get cancelled just like the 'shitty' show?

StiltmanFTW
No. The team's roster will change though. But Logan is staying.

And WAXM wasn't shitty.

crimsonphoenix
Like a few people said in this thread, he is the anti-hero. He doesnt take bs but he also takes your faults. Its really, i believe is a "kill or be killed" motto. Why not kill just this one person to save more lifes? I really think this is how he thinks and how other people think and why they like him. He isnt perfect. We arent perfect. He isnt one of these characters that turn good then go right around and turn evil. He is the same person threw and threw. He isnt two faced. He tells it how it is.

On a side note. He is a money maker and thats why marvel uses his character in about everything. Theses days new fans dont know the true story of him only the story portrayed in the movies or cartoons. I think thats why some people just get fed up hearing about him cause alot of people dont know what they are talking about.

killermover
He's a old dude as well, but his rivalry with Spidey makes him bareable.

Battlehammer
I mentioned the 'shitty' tv show because his character is like that show.

yea go figure a character based off another would have similarities roll eyes (sarcastic)

Second,in the comics any team Logan leads doesnt last long.
Thats becuase he does not wish to be leader and they last plenty long so teams have lasted almost a decade.

I wouldnt even call it that he leads X-Force,Cable is more of a leader than him in that series,and isnt it going to get cancelled just like the 'shitty' show?
First off now your talking out ur ass. Cable had one line pretty much that hardly makes him more a leader and it was about the future something he knows more about then anyone.

no it no gettign cancled it one of there best selling runs.

crimsonphoenix
Where did you hear about X-Factor being cancelled mastagambit? I didnt hear anything about it getting cancelled. You cant base a comic characters personality off of a cartoon show or even movie..

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by crimsonphoenix
Where did you hear about X-Factor being cancelled mastagambit? I didnt hear anything about it getting cancelled. You cant base a comic characters personality off of a cartoon show or even movie..

X-Factor is relaunching with a new "secret" team sometime later this year but the current run has technically been canceled.

crimsonphoenix
:O wow! How did i miss that? Thanx

StiltmanFTW
X-Factor =/= X-Force stick out tongue

I don't know about Factor, but Force is relaunching, yeah. New writer, new team...

mastagambit
Originally posted by Battlehammer

First off now your talking out ur ass. Cable had one line pretty much that hardly makes him more a leader and it was about the future something he knows more about then anyone.

It seems you know nothing of comics. Cable originally lead the first X-Force. And did a damn good job. He is a master strategist just like his pops. roll eyes (sarcastic)

crimsonphoenix
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
X-Factor =/= X-Force stick out tongue

I don't know about Factor, but Force is relaunching, yeah. New writer, new team...

i just started getting into x-factor again. Im way behind...obviously embarrasment

roughrider

Yes he has adamantium claws, and yes he has a healing factor, but so what? With the sort of beings roaming the universe and even the ones just on earth, I don't understand why there is so much hype being made about a character whose primary function is to keep taking incredible hits because he's not powerful enough to dish incredible ones out.

Two years ago, Wizard Magazine ranked him #1 of their list of the Top 200 Comic Book Characters Ever (where he was followed by Batman, Spider Man & Superman.) He's got SOMETHING going for him.

He's not my No.1 -maybe he's in my top ten - but I can't argue with his place on the list.

Battlehammer
It seems you know nothing of comics. Cable originally lead the first X-Force. And did a damn good job. He is a master strategist just like his pops. roll eyes (sarcastic)
I new that........but were talking about current x-force........what does past x-force have anything to do with are conversation?

but thanks for the red herring son.

wannabe
Originally posted by roughrider
Two years ago, Wizard Magazine ranked him #1 of their list of the Top 200 Comic Book Characters Ever (where he was followed by Batman, Spider Man & Superman.) He's got SOMETHING going for him. ...
This hasn't been questioned.
The question of the thread is WHY is he so popular, respectively WHAT does he have going for him.
I find him entertaining from time to time. But all in all for my taste he's way too much of a w*nking fantasy for wannabe (oh the irony) macho males and those guys, who feel the need to compensate for whatever ... no offense.

jinzin
What the f**k?

Pretty sure several people including myself already went into why he's popular. The "whats" you are reffering to are the things that people connect to and relate with. Not really sure what's so hard to follow.

Don't really think a hairy midget underdog character is exactly what ... "macho males" relate to.... and "compensation" really has more to do with characters like... oh I dunno, Cap or Hulk.. erm

srankmissingnin
What the f**k?

Pretty sure several people including myself already went into why he's popular. The "whats" you are reffering to are the things that people connect to and relate with. Not really sure what's so hard to follow.

Don't really think a hairy midget underdog character is exactly what ... "macho males" relate to.... and "compensation" really has more to do with characters like... oh I dunno, Cap or Hulk.. erm

Wannabe macho male. Why don't you turn off your computer and measure your small dick, cry and then fall asleep! mad

wannabe
What the f**k?

Clearly i only adressed roughrider, who simply pointed out HOW popular Logan is and not WHY.

Well, at least according to my everyday observations among male comic readers almost none of them perceive Logan as a "hairy midget", no matter how often his comic adversaries and sometimes even his allies call him things like that.
Since i just love reading comics and i once had to do a free-theme reasearch for one of my psychology seminars, i chose to do it in my natural environment wink .
The results regarding Logan, supported by open survey and anonymous polls, were quite obvious. Plainly said: Most of the male comic readers i questioned see Wolverine as a symbol of independence and animalistic hyper-masculinity, as a "badass", who can afford to do whatever he want's and to mess up those, who dare to cross his path. Macho males relate to those qualities, wannabes relate to the suffering yet bearing "underdog" and wish they could be like him to improve their real life (mostly their actual or perceived social and/or sexual status).

jinzin
Originally posted by wannabe
Clearly i only adressed roughrider, who simply pointed out HOW popular Logan is and not WHY. You made a general assessment of what was being discussed in this thread. *shrug* So yeah, it wasn't really all that clear at all.

Originally posted by wannabe
Well, at least according to my everyday observations among male comic readers almost none of them perceive Logan as a "hairy midget", no matter how often his comic adversaries and sometimes even his allies call him things like that.
Since i just love reading comics and i once had to do a free-theme reasearch for one of my psychology seminars, i chose to do it in my natural environment wink .
The results regarding Logan, supported by open survey and anonymous polls, were quite obvious. Plainly said: Most of the male comic readers i questioned see Wolverine as a symbol of independence and animalistic hyper-masculinity, as a "badass", who can afford to do whatever he want's and to mess up those, who dare to cross his path. Macho males relate to those qualities, wannabes relate to the suffering yet bearing "underdog" and wish they could be like him to improve their real life (mostly their actual or perceived social and/or sexual status).

I seeeeee..... What the f**k?

So your anonymus survey was one in which you were still able to distinguish these readers as "macho males" and "wannabes"....?

The survey ALSO went into detail as to define the participant's social status or sexual shortcomings.....?

Hmmm, excuse my skepticism.
The qualities you described about Logan are one's which anyone with a passing familiarity of the character may have but not how you would see him described by people who are actually invested in the character.
The relations you've given the character to steriotypes serve as... disengenous at best. Though I understand that probably wasn't your original intention.

peejayd

jinzin

BoogieJ
People can relate to Wolverine because he's a jerk, and very aggressive. In today's society people gravitate towards violence and there's an awful lot of cowards out there that wish that they can do the things that he does. Psychologically you are a sociopath if you like somebody that has raw powers and goes around cutting people up without any consequences using bad language for no reason and you throw your hands up in the movie theater screaming yeah!!!!!!! It's a pack and caveman mentality that draws people to The Wolverine. He's an antihero who's very violent and aggressive.,As a superhero he's extremely overratedhowever I do like him as a member of the X-Men because they need a gray area character. As a comic book fan I'm sick and tired of them putting him on a pedestal. By the way, I don't think Hugh Jackman did that great of a job. They definitely could have found someone better, more athletic and more physical. There's a lot of people that want to be tough and aggressive and badass so they live through the character of Wolverine. First Class was the only decent X-Men movie so they really need to redo that entire franchise and follow the comic book format rather than introducing characters because they feel everybody likes them particularly a character like Wolverine. First Class proved we didn't need Wolverine.

riv6672

xXI_wing_IXx
Back then, I like Wolverine just because of his metal claws. Can slash and shed blood just about anything. My very first comic I picked up from the new released shelf was Wolverine #74. Good memories.. Wished that I came few weeks later so I would've gotten Wolverine #75.

Highfather Herc
He's a bad boy that smokes, drinks, plays pool, kills people and has an attitude. He's also a tragic immortal loner that rides a motorcycle. It's pretty easy to understand why people love him, but it doesn't hurt that he has a lot of really good stories too.

StiltmanFTW
Good post back from 2017:

Originally posted by Ize19
For the record, it's Wolverine's life of failure, and his refusal to stop believing he can be more despite those failures, that is my single favorite aspect of his character. And the 1982 Wolverine mini series is etched as either my all-time #1 or #2, with Weapon X pretty much tied with it as my favorite Wolverine stories.

cdtm

Because people have shite taste.

Real connoisseur's like Iron Fist.

Wonder Man
Wolverine has guts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.