advertisements on KMC that are scams and not for real.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chomperx9
post here which advertisements on here you have clicked on and witnessed that they are scams or its to good to be true so others know to watch out for them as well.

that 4 disney movies for a $1 each advertisement is not for real. after you fill out your info and mailing address it says for you to receive the 4 disney movies for a $1 each you agree to pay a certain amount every month for being a member and purchasing atleast 5 new disney movies on dvd or blu ray at regular price through out the year.

Peach
For starters, this goes in News and Questions, not the GDF.

Second, 99% of the time it's not a scam at all and people simply don't bother to actually read the terms of said offer.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Peach
For starters, this goes in News and Questions, not the GDF.

im aware of that by you moving it.

and have you signed up on each and one of the advertisements ?

scams and frauds are all over the net. doesnt matter how safe the site is there will always be BS advertisements.

maybe they arent scams but they are tricks to get you to sign up for free stuff then to get the free stuff after putting in your personal information you are required to sign up for this and that to receive your items.

those types of advertisements are BS as well

Peach
I don't see ads on here. And on the rare occasion that they come up on a site where I haven't blocked them, I definitely don't click them.

You've much to learn about how marketing works. That's the entire point of most ads - put out something to grab attention, and bank on the fact that most people will never bother to read further than that.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Peach
I don't see ads on here. And on the rare occasion that they come up on a site where I haven't blocked them, I definitely don't click them.

You've much to learn about how marketing works. That's the entire point of most ads - put out something to grab attention, and bank on the fact that most people will never bother to read further than that. scroll down at the bottom of each forum page and you will see an ad.

and i know how marketing works i go on alot of sites and see pops up all the time for this and that. sometimes the ones that look for real and arent scams cant still be trouble. and i dont click on links or advertisements on a site unless i know the site well and its safe like here. but those ads can still be fake to get your info and pass it on to others or its not for real what they are advertising.

the disney one i clicked on seemed for real and pops up the disney site so i know its not some personal site someone made to get your info it was linked to the original disney site but the ad is not exactly what it says to be.

Peach
No, I don't see ads on here at all. It's a mod privilege. And even before that, there was always Adblock for that sort of thing. I haven't seen a single ad on KMC for over five years.

And obviously you don't know much (hint - marketing is part of the field I'm going into), else you would know that ads are specifically designed to grab attention and give away little about what they're advertising. Would you be more likely to click something that said "Four DVDs for a Dollar!" or "Four DVDs for a Dollar (if you pay $10 a month for a year)!"?

Basically, if it looks too good to be true, it is. Simple as that.

chomperx9
im aware they grab attention or no one would click on them. only time they ever get my attention is if its something that interests me and i like the deal.

i signed up on netflix by clicking on an advertisement for half off for 3 months. and the deal was for real. didnt have to pay the regular price for 3 months. sure they did that to get me to sign up. well i would have signed up later on anyways cause i dont rent videos anymore at blockbuster and everyone is doing netflix now. faster and cheaper.

there are some ok advertisements and there are some that are BS.

just thought id make a thread for the people who have witnessed the BS ones for others to watch out for. if you saw the ADs every sec on here you would understand more what im talking about. and these are ads linked on to the site they are not pop ups.

sorry for making a site that involves helping out others.

Bardock42
I don't know if you'd legally call them scams, but there's lots of ads that boldly advertise one thing and then sign you up for shit in the small print. I'm pretty sure that's illegal, too, at least where I am, and you probably could get your money back, if you hired a lawyer or some shit, but who does that.... A lot of these type of "scams" also have lawyers that actually bully you into paying up. Of course my knowledge on the situation is solely based on a 15 minute segment in a show sometime, so take that how you will..

BakaXero
That's why i don't read the ads on the internet.
I once had a phone call telling me i won a free phone.
I asked them what's the catch. They said no catch.
Then I asked them if i had to pay a phone bill each month. They tried to avoid the question. I eventually got it out of them. If i wanted a phone contract i'd get it myself. So needless to say if it sound too good to be true. It probably is. This isn't something new. But if you fell for it maybe next time you should ask questions.
If something sounds cheap. I always ask questions.

The Nuul
Who cares? just dont click on the ads.

Vinny Valentine
What sort of idiot falls for one of those advertisements?

AndaleAndale
Originally posted by chomperx9
post here which advertisements on here you have clicked on and witnessed that they are scams or its to good to be true so others know to watch out for them as well.

that 4 disney movies for a $1 each advertisement is not for real. after you fill out your info and mailing address it says for you to receive the 4 disney movies for a $1 each you agree to pay a certain amount every month for being a member and purchasing atleast 5 new disney movies on dvd or blu ray at regular price through out the year.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.