black spidey.. no, not what you think..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

super pr*xy
not symbiote spidey..

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-twitter-campaign-wants-community-actor-to-be-first-non-white-spider-man.html

what do you guys think?

BlackZero30x
I think this is a horrible idea....

Originally posted by roughrider

No, I'm not in favour of a black actor playing Spider Man. But I have to quantify that, because I've been on record saying it's fine to change the racial makeup of characters, to better reflect the multicultural society we live in. So I'm saying it's really fine just for background, supporting characters - who you would consider 'racially neutral.'
I think when it's your main character, you should honour who they are.

So, yes to changing Nick Fury, Kingpin, Harvey Dent - that's OK, as they just support the leads. No to Spider Man; just like I would say no to a white Luke Cage.

That pretty much sums up my opinion.

BruceSkywalker
Sony doesn't know what they wanna do.. their a bunch of dummies

Mr Parker
Originally posted by super pr*xy
not symbiote spidey..

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-twitter-campaign-wants-community-actor-to-be-first-non-white-spider-man.html

what do you guys think?

nnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that would have been okay when they made the first three man-spider movies cause those movies already raped to death his character with organics sick but their going to reboot it this time so DO it right this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

Omega Vision
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
I think this is a horrible idea....

That pretty much sums up my opinion. I really don't see how Spider-Man is tied to any particular race. Whereas Superman and to a lesser extent Batman are known for being a certain type: handsome, 30-something, dark-haired Caucasian males Spider-Man really isn't defined by his appearance, in fact most people in the comic book world don't even know what he looks like under the costume.

The way I see it as long as they keep Spider-Man as a nerd and as long as he's still male it doesn't matter who gets cast so long as they can act out the role well.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I really don't see how Spider-Man is tied to any particular race. Whereas Superman and to a lesser extent Batman are known for being a certain type: handsome, 30-something, dark-haired Caucasian males Spider-Man really isn't defined by his appearance, in fact most people in the comic book world don't even know what he looks like under the costume.

The way I see it as long as they keep Spider-Man as a nerd and as long as he's still male it doesn't matter who gets cast so long as they can act out the role well.

i understand that i really do but idk i just feel when a character is created one race it should stay that way unless it's a special circumstance.

for example an alternate reality such as what if or else worlds.

super pr*xy
people went crazy when spiderman india came out.. and that's just the comics..

Juk3n
Movieverse - Comicverse - they dont have to tie to one another. If the guy is good and the movie is good, whats the downside here? If it helps you all sleep better just imgaine it's an alt reality version ffs. Big deals are being made here and they're not warranted.

As stated above, he doesnt HAVE to be white. And funnily enough my boxers arnt in a twist at the thought of a Black spidey. Because a geek is always a geek stick out tongue

As long as the character remains somewhat true, then the story should be alright. It;s not like they changed it to a 6ft4 black highschool basketball star who gets bit. Now THAT, i would bunch my crotch for.

Mindset
i understand that i really do but idk i just feel when a character is created one race it should stay that way unless it's a special circumstance.

for example an alternate reality such as what if or else worlds. It is an alternate reality.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Mindset
It is an alternate reality.

no the movies are not "what if" in fact they are the canon continuity of the movie verse.

yea just like Uni X
and no the way you stated the costume thing really wasn't what i meant....i mean completely change it so it had nothing to do with spider-man but you know that's ok roll eyes (sarcastic) ......none of which were mainstream canon continuity. but in the movie verse it would be mainstream canon continuity. So they should definitely not change that unless it's going to be a movie that WONT be considered canon.
for example Iron Man and the New hulk are canon in the movie verse. so to throw out a Spider-Man movie set then reboot (making the reboot canon) that's a horrible idea to make him black.....because black spider-man is not and never will be canon material for any kind of mainstream universe....movie or other wise. Just like to have a white luke cage, blade, storm, or any other black character will never be Mainstream canon material....movie or other wise. I would be just as strongly against a reboot on blade and making him white.

EDIT: my respones to another person....so it's not all directed to you. im sure you can pick out the parts lol.

SamZED
I dont want Spider-man to be black, and that doesnt make me aracist, I just think its a retarded idea. Spider-man is white, has always been white and there's nothing wrong with respecting the source material. Why dont we cast an asian guy as Mohammad Ali in a movie? Or make Jesus gay? Or even better a lesbian to show the world that we have no prejudice?

Id love to see Luke Cage on a big screen but it would be retarded if he is played by say Van Damme, same here.

roughrider
Marvel seemed to be considering this route before, with all those heavy 'Will Smith as Captain America' rumours. I'm glad they didn't do it, because it would have felt like tokenism, and not worked at all with the history of America at that time. (Now, Will Smith as Isiah Bradley would be fine...) This would smack of tokenism for it's own sake, and unnecessary.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by SamZED
I dont want Spider-man to be black, and that doesnt make me aracist, I just think its a retarded idea. Spider-man is white, has always been white and there's nothing wrong with respecting the source material. Why dont we cast an asian guy as Mohammad Ali in a movie? Or make Jesus gay? Or even better a lesbian to show the world that we have no prejudice?

Id love to see Luke Cage on a big screen but it would be retarded if he is played by say Van Damme, same here.

exactly.well done. Happy Dance thumb up thumb up

Juk3n

T'challa cant be white, ofcourse, hes an african king. Storm is his african wife. They're hardly gonna cast Dolph Lungdren to play Black Panther in frickin Russia or someshit. Np. But the story of a geek getting bit..spiderman in general is not race based. He's a new yorker. well? he's still a newyorker, just a diferent colour pair of eyes, or hair, or parents. Skin colour is a minor detail when dealing with THIS PARTICULAR tale 'a highschool kid getting powers'. Being WHte or Black doesnt add ordiminish the story telling capability like ti would for an African Dolph Lungdren.

Its a minor detail in Newyorks setting.

marwash22
It's a "minor detail"? wtf.

If ya wanna make a movie about a black guy who gets bit by a spider and becomes a superhero, that's fine.. just don't call it, spiderman.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by marwash22
It's a "minor detail"? wtf.

If ya wanna make a movie about a black guy who gets bit by a spider and becomes a superhero, that's fine.. just don't call it, spiderman.

thumb up

Mindset

Id love to see Luke Cage on a big screen but it would be retarded if he is played by say Van Damme, same here. None of your examples would be analogous to this situation at all.

Mindset
EDIT: my respones to another person....so it's not all directed to you. im sure you can pick out the parts lol. It's a reboot, thus, a new continuity.

BlackZero30x
It's a reboot, thus, a new continuity.

yes and spider-man being black is just not canon no matter what you do.
you can agree or disagree but no matter what anyone says Spider-Man is not black.

i'll put it this way if he would have bee black from the start then that would have been kool but he was not so it not cool.

now on that subject if idk say they would start a series of comics about spider-man being black and that would be the mainstream i would stop reading spidy comics because it just wouldn't be spider-man its that simple.

and i feel the same about the movie verse as well......so say or believe as you wish but their are fans like myself that feel the same as I.

Mindset
yes and spider-man being black is just not canon no matter what you do.
you can agree or disagree but no matter what anyone says Spider-Man is not black.

i'll put it this way if he would have bee black from the start then that would have been kool but he was not so it not cool.

now on that subject if idk say they would start a series of comics about spider-man being black and that would be the mainstream i would stop reading spidy comics because it just wouldn't be spider-man its that simple.

and i feel the same about the movie verse as well......so say or believe as you wish but their are fans like myself that feel the same as I. If they make a movie with him being black, it is canon, you're not making sense.

Yes, I am aware Spiderman isn't black.

They have a series where he is hispanic.

I don't really care what those fans think, race isn't relevant to his character.

BlackZero30x
If they make a movie with him being black, it is canon, you're not making sense.

I don't really care what those fans think, race isn't relevant to his character.

it is relevant to the detail of his character.

and no it wont be canon because he's not black.

and in what world was that hispanic parker a canon mainstream?

so okay i'll say that's fine release this movie as an alternate universe spider-man then release a movie with the real spider-man........

i'll jump on board with that....other wise no

marwash22
did i misread or did someone compare Spiderman to Jesus? Eh, i guess that works, they're both fictional characters.

marwash22
his race isn't relevant to his character? What world do you live in? Changing his race or any character's race automatically changes the following...

style
culture
dialect/accent/diction
social outlook and social standing amongst peers
demographic they appeal to in the actual word

there are other things to consider as well; point is, it would be a completely different character. Also, they'd have to change the name of not only Spiderman, but his aunt and uncle, his calssmates, and completely revamp the type of women he's attracted to. If you didn't change those things, it would open up a huge can of worms concerning interracial dating and race dynamics in whole due to how much the character gets bullied.

And really, Peter Parker... does that sound like a black teen to you?

BlackZero30x
^not to mention how jj rides his @$$

Juk3n
race isn't relevant to his character.

thumb up

Juk3n
his race isn't relevant to his character? What world do you live in? Changing his race or any character's race automatically changes the following...

style
culture
dialect/accent/diction

None of those things need be change if the director/writers don't want them to be. Your applying real world social dynamics to a comic book film adaption. I want to you to understand how farfetched you sound.

marwash22
Again, I'll say wtf are you talking about?!

Here are some real world dynamics that are seen in the previous films, that are, according to you, irrelevant and far-fetched...

Alternative energy
sex/dating
death
finances/poverty
peer pressure and bullying
crime in general
domestic violence and other domesticated issues
politics

So no, it's not me who's applying real world social dynamics to a fictional environment, it's everyone who has ever been involved in the comic book industry since it's inception. Comics books in whole are based on real world circumstances so your entire assertion that these factors are irrelevant, is completely flawed and asinine.

Bat Dude
And really, Peter Parker... does that sound like a black teen to you?

/thread

Seriously, "Peter Parker" just SOUNDS like a nerdy white guy... Keep him that way.

"Luke Cage" sounds like a big, strong, black guy... Keep him that way.

"Steve Rogers", like "Harvey Dent" or "Wilson Fisk", could be either, tbh... Just as long as the guy can act the part. (and I'm a big Captain America fan)

chomperx9
Originally posted by Bat Dude
/thread

Seriously, "Peter Parker" just SOUNDS like a nerdy white guy... Keep him that way.

"Steve Rogers", like "Harvey Dent" or "Wilson Fisk", could be either, tbh... Just as long as the guy can act the part. (and I'm a big Captain America fan) steve rogers no. nick fury, fisk, harvey , catwoman or black cat yes.

Menetnashté
If you make Spider-man black you're going to have to change so much about the story it's ridiculous, I mean Marwash hit the nail on the head. I don't want to see a completely altered Spider-man because everyone got this weird mentality of "We have the first black president, so why shouldn't we have the first black Captain America, and Spider-man and everything else"

BruceSkywalker

Mindset

style
culture
dialect/accent/diction

there are other things to consider as well; point is, it would be a completely different character. Also, they'd have to change the name of not only Spiderman, but his aunt and uncle, his calssmates, and completely revamp the type of women he's attracted to. If you didn't change those things, it would open up a huge can of worms concerning interracial dating and race dynamics in whole due to how much the character gets bullied.

And really, Peter Parker... does that sound like a black teen to you? What you just said makes little to no sense unless you think all black people are the same.

The style and dialect/accent of a nerdy white person doesn't have to be different from a nerdy black person, stop watching BET.

Spiderman's culture is virtually non existent in the comics.

Social standing among peers? This isn't the 60s. Social outlook doesn't have to be different either, you need to meet more people.

They don't have to change the names or who he is attracted to, wtf? He was bullied because he was a nerd.

Mindset
it is relevant to the detail of his character.

and no it wont be canon because he's not black.

and in what world was that hispanic parker a canon mainstream?

so okay i'll say that's fine release this movie as an alternate universe spider-man then release a movie with the real spider-man........

i'll jump on board with that....other wise no It's a detail that is not relevant to the story. Tell me how him being white made an impact on the story?

I don't think you understand canonization. How would a movie reboot where he is black not be canon, how does him being black make it not canon?

All movie Spiderman are alternate universes.

You don't need to jump on board.

marwash22
You clearly didn't comprehend a damn thing i wrote. Also, I'm black myself and wouldn't be caught dead watching BET; you quick to presume, idiot.

Mindset
You clearly didn't comprehend a damn thing i wrote. Also, I'm black myself and wouldn't be caught dead watching BET; you quick to presume, idiot. Then I feel sorry that your view on your own race is so limited.

I see you don't have any rebuttal, though.

chomperx9
If they make a movie with him being black, it is canon, you're not making sense.

I don't really care what those fans think, race isn't relevant to his character. but race is relevant to john stewart, bishop , storm right ? wink

chomperx9
Then I feel sorry that your view on your own race is so limited.

I see you don't have any rebuttal, though. maybe he is man enough to admit certain things about his race that dont fit right with characters. im not ashamed of admitting i wouldnt agree to storm being white in the next x-men film. she has always been black and thats her race since the begining. im not gonna say no storm would look better being white than black just to stand up for my race. this isnt a competition of race. its about the characters original appearance.

Mindset
Originally posted by chomperx9
maybe he is man enough to admit certain things about his race that dont fit right with characters. no expression

Except that he's wrong...

Mindset
but race is relevant to john stewart, bishop , storm right ? wink Stewart, idk, haven't read enough of his stories.

Bishop, no.

Storm is an african queen and goddess, so...

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Bat Dude
/thread

"Steve Rogers", like "Harvey Dent" or "Wilson Fisk", could be either, tbh... Just as long as the guy can act the part. (and I'm a big Captain America fan)

Yes because John Stewart sounds Black.

Juk3n
Stewart, idk, haven't read enough of his stories.

Bishop, no.

Storm is an african queen and goddess, so...

Exactly.

Like i said before , nothing else in the spidey-verse need be changed if they made peter black. So he gets with mary-jane, a white girl..so? Wht ****ing decade are we living in. So he has a white boss who screams abuse at EVERYONE HE EMPLOYS, so? Nothing new there just cos petes black. Pete gets bullied becuase he's a geek, NOT BECAUSE HE'S A WHITE GEEK, and certainly not becuse he's ablack geek.

His social standing in his universe is not reflective of his skin colour. The character itself and the spidey-verse (storywise) wouldn't bat an eyelid because his skin colour is different. His skin colour makes no difference to his stories because his stories are NOT ABOUT SKIN colour. They're about CHARACTER, and personality. This isnt a hard concept to grasp.

The Nuul
Parkers character since hes been created is that hes a geeky white kid and not black or any other color.

Wei Phoenix
Yes but the fact that he was White was never relevant to any story of his or his character.

Juk3n
exactly - the general STORY still works no matter what colour his eyes are.

or his hair.

or his boots.

or his skin colour. no expression

The Nuul
Ummm....hes a geeky WHITE kid, always has been and always will be.

Let me guess you two are black amrite?

And Beyonce makes the perfect WW thumb up

Juk3n
Originally posted by The Nuul

yeah, but the POINT YOU'RE MISSING is that for the story to work he doesnt HAVE to be in the movie.

Thats it.

The Nuul
No, thats your point and not mine.

All through out Parkers history, hes a geeky white kid. If they make another character thats not Ben or Parker then its fine. But why have a SM movie when its not Parker?

The Nuul
Anyways.....this is nothing but a publicity stunt. This wont happen.

This is nothing more but to stir up some rumors about the movie. Its the stupid WW and Beyonce rumor all over again.

Wei Phoenix

Let me guess you two are black amrite?

And Beyonce makes the perfect WW thumb up

Yes he is a "Geeky kid" who happens to be white, but when was his color a factor to his story or character, when was his race ever relevant to one of his stories?

Let me guess, you assume that just because at least one of us are Black then we're ok with a White hero being Black but you think we'd have a problem with Black characters going White AMIRITE? Some Black characters that could be White and it wouldn't change their character: Blade, Prowler, Static Shock.

No Beyonce doesn't, she can't act and she wants to be Diana just because she thinks it's about time Wonder Woman is Black. Speaking for myself, I have no problem with a Black Spider-Man so long as the person is actually good and fits the role well, not just because they went out and looked specifically for a Black guy when there's a White guy right next to him that can do the role just as well.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Yes but the fact that he was White was never relevant to any story of his or his character. well there not gonna say at the begining of a story here is a young white boy who has never met his parents and lives with his aunt and uncle and blah blah blah.

and for fat albert. the begining of his story he is an over weight fat black boy who loves helping out others in need and the rest what ever.

just cause they dont say what their race is supposed to be from day 1 doesnt mean its not relevant to their story or character. take a hint since day one if you see those characters always drawn and played by that race than thats what they are. they stook to keeping the characters their race all those years for a reason.

if none of their races were relevant than every other comicbook you would be seeing them switch races back and fourth all the time.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Yes he is a "Geeky kid" who happens to be white, but when was his color a factor to his story or character, when was his race ever relevant to one of his stories?

Let me guess, you assume that just because at least one of us are Black then we're ok with a White hero being Black but you think we'd have a problem with Black characters going White AMIRITE? Some Black characters that could be White and it wouldn't change their character: Blade, Prowler, Static Shock.

No Beyonce doesn't, she can't act and she wants to be Diana just because she thinks it's about time Wonder Woman is Black. Speaking for myself, I have no problem with a Black Spider-Man so long as the person is actually good and fits the role well, not just because they went out and looked specifically for a Black guy when there's a White guy right next to him that can do the role just as well. beyonce should be catwoman or black cat. WW no

Mindset
Anyways.....this is nothing but a publicity stunt. This wont happen.

This is nothing more but to stir up some rumors about the movie. Its the stupid WW and Beyonce rumor all over again. How is it a publicity stunt?

Having Danny Glover play Spiderman is only being brought up on twitter, by his fans.

The Nuul
How is it a publicity stunt?

Having Danny Glover play Spiderman is only being brought up on twitter, by his fans.

I guess I should have paid more attention to that bit.

Mr Parker

exactly.well said. thumb up

same goes for a black spidey.I would love to see a Luck Cage movie made but like he said,I dont want to see Van Damne "whom I am a big fan of his movies and have seen most of them" I dont want to see him play the role. laughing nor do I want to see a white actor play Storm from the xmen.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
good words

yeah VERY good words.

Mr Parker
steve rogers no. nick fury, fisk, harvey , catwoman or black cat yes.

I agree with all those except Black Cat.Catwomen is okay as black but not Black Cat even though the word is BLACK cat.That just doesnt sit well with me.and yeah Steve Rogers needs to be white.BatDude also made a great point.Its so obvious the way he talks under his mask that he is a white dude. roll eyes (sarcastic) come on.a black spidey? dont make me barf. sick Like Batdude and others have said,its critical that Luke Cage is black and spidey is white.boy the people that are okay with a black spidey obviously are not die hard fans. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Like someone else said so very well,just because we now have a black president in office doesnt mean its time for those characters to become black now. roll eyes (sarcastic) do it in some community theatre production on the stage but dont make some movie with a black actor as spidey. roll eyes (sarcastic)

BlackZero30x
How is it a publicity stunt?

but the whole problem in a nut shell is the fan base around this.

I don't do tweeting so i only know what i read but this is something his fans started pushing for....which got him interested in the role....so now he says he would like to try out.

with the fan base he has backing the idea(way over 8,000 people and that's just face book) and the people on the forum's everywhere arguing they want him.

it's gonna make the movie people think "OMG lets get this kid in here because look at all these people that would come see this movie if we did this. not to mention people who just like spider-man in general.

if it truly happens it can be chalked up to nothing more then "making money".

i wish this wouldn't have happened because their are just as many people who don't want him to play the roles they just don't want people to think they are racist so they don't make anti Glover groups....so it appears like a lot more people like it then hate it.

BruceSkywalker
I hate to be the bearer of bad news

even though unconfirmed, but will be soon, it seems Sony knows parker is white, was born white, and will always be white..

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/07/spider-man-is-tintin/

Juk3n
edit.

Phoenix2001

even though unconfirmed, but will be soon, it seems Sony knows parker is white, was born white, and will always be white..

Good. Perhaps this will halt the potential of racists accusations that were hanging amist. Seriously, if the people who suggested such a change really believed it should not be an issue of race, as some of you here have agreed upon, then why even bring up the whole concept from white to black?

Just leave him the way he was originally created. By making such a suggestion, these people created a racial situation all on their own.

Mindset
Originally posted by Mr Parker
the people that are okay with a black spidey obviously are not die hard fans. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I've probably read more Spiderman comics than you've even known existed.

Mindset
but the whole problem in a nut shell is the fan base around this.

I don't do tweeting so i only know what i read but this is something his fans started pushing for....which got him interested in the role....so now he says he would like to try out.

with the fan base he has backing the idea(way over 8,000 people and that's just face book) and the people on the forum's everywhere arguing they want him.

it's gonna make the movie people think "OMG lets get this kid in here because look at all these people that would come see this movie if we did this. not to mention people who just like spider-man in general.

if it truly happens it can be chalked up to nothing more then "making money".

i wish this wouldn't have happened because their are just as many people who don't want him to play the roles they just don't want people to think they are racist so they don't make anti Glover groups....so it appears like a lot more people like it then hate it. What comic movie hasn't been about "making money"?Originally posted by Phoenix2001
Good. Perhaps this will halt the potential of racists accusations that were hanging amist. Seriously, if the people who suggested such a change really believed it should not be an issue of race, as some of you here have agreed upon, then why even bring up the whole concept from white to black?

Just leave him the way he was originally created. By making such a suggestion, these people created a racial situation all on their own. facepalm How about you try reading the articles that started this discussion.

BlackZero30x
What comic movie hasn't been about "making money"?

yea i get that but if you were making a movie and their was a talented movie star that everyone loved and all of his fans wanted him to play the role weather he fit the role or not.....would you not cast him purely because you know that there are thousands upon thousands of fans that will definitely come see the movie and that's not even counting the spider-man fans.....

that's my point today people get scared to speak out on some issues because they don't want to sound racist. which to me is kinda funny because race is kinda like a paradox.....

if someone's white and i dislike the black person for a role of a movie then they're not necessarily racist...but then what if they are scared to speak out because they are scared of sounding racist.....which brings us to the paradox because originally it wasn't about racism but the moment they got scared of saying anything it was the race that made them keep their mouth shut.

which brings me to my point.....it seems like more people are for it rather then against it so it becomes an unfair popularity contest of sorts.

but i guess since he wont be spidy now this whole argument is moot now anyways lol

Phoenix2001
How about you try reading the articles that started this discussion.

I have read the article. So, what's your problem with my post?

Mindset
Originally posted by Phoenix2001
I have read the article. So, what's your problem with my post? If you read the articles then you should know why race was brought up.

Phoenix2001
Because of the whole "why does Spidey have to be a white guy?" quote? What other reason would there be to bring it up?

Mindset
Because the only choices were, in his opinion, sub par white actors. Instead of limiting your choices to only bad actors because they meant the requirement of being white, they could choose a good actor that was not.

Get it now?

Phoenix2001
I have no doubt there are plenty of non-white actors who could definitely act the part, but it would simply be out of place, much in the same way that it would be out of place for a white guy to play Blade or Spawn. While Spawn is burnt to a crisp, he still has a african-american background, and I feel in this respect, only a black guy should play his and Blade's part. Race should not matter when considering it alone, but the character's ethnicity is what makes them a little more original and unique in their own right.

chomperx9
Because of the whole "why does Spidey have to be a white guy?" quote? What other reason would there be to bring it up? yeah i dont think the black community would appreciate it if there was some blog started by whites and have a title saying the last thing fat albert needs to be is another black guy

Phoenix2001
yeah i dont think the black community would appreciate it if there was some blog started by whites and have a title saying the last thing fat albert needs to be is another black guy

Agreed. Obviously, race does matter to some degree or every fictional character would have the same skin color. A character's race is usually a reflection of the writer's/artist's own race. Not out of the sake of being racist, but simply because they are what they are.

The Nuul

Heh.

dev10n
Im black and i cant stand the idea of making spiderman black WTF that like making Blade white i would HATE HATE HATE HATE that

Mr Parker
Originally posted by dev10n
Im black and i cant stand the idea of making spiderman black WTF that like making Blade white i would HATE HATE HATE HATE that

wouldnt that like royally suck though? I mean can you imiagine what the uproar would have been back in the 70's when they made superman the movie if they had cast a black actor as clark kent/superman? roll eyes (sarcastic) that would have ruined the credibility of the film and it would have bombed at the box office. same with spidey. great to hear someone such as yourself and marwash as well who IS black that hates the idea. Happy Dance You are so right,there are some characters you just need to leave the hell alone and dont change anything about them.there are instances where like in Batman 89 when it was okay to have a black commissioner gordon but those are VERY rare cases.

Like you said so well that would be like having Blade be white or Luke Cage be white or like someone else mentioned earlier so well having a white actor play Fat Albert. roll eyes (sarcastic) well known characters around the world like that should NEVER have their races altered.with a main character like these,you just dont tamper with them like that.That was what they were suppose to look like when they were created and you just dont mess with it. anybody in their right mind would never change those black characters into white people and the same with Spiderman or Batman or Superman.

someone else really hit the nail on the head earlier why it would be the dumbest idea ever and why it would not work in the fact that you would have to change the characters of the other characters as well such as mary jane and others if you made him a black guy. people around here just dont get that though. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
well there not gonna say at the begining of a story here is a young white boy who has never met his parents and lives with his aunt and uncle and blah blah blah.

and for fat albert. the begining of his story he is an over weight fat black boy who loves helping out others in need and the rest what ever.

just cause they dont say what their race is supposed to be from day 1 doesnt mean its not relevant to their story or character. take a hint since day one if you see those characters always drawn and played by that race than thats what they are. they stook to keeping the characters their race all those years for a reason.

if none of their races were relevant than every other comicbook you would be seeing them switch races back and fourth all the time.

very good words.yeah these fools around here just dont get it that just because they dont say what their race is suppose to be doesnt mean its not relevent to their story or character.they have never changed fat alberts race over the years because it is relevent to ths troy cause thats how he was originall created and meant to be.No different than spiderman.

Like someone else said so well,if they want some black actor to be bit by a spider and become a superhero and have some great spider powers such as sticking to walls then all means go ahead and make that movie,just dont call the movie spiderman for crying out loud. reminds me of all these idiots i used to argue with that not giving him the mechanical shooters rapes to death his character and how the movie should never have been called spider-man,so sad how some people like mindset dont care about them raping to death a character like spiderman.

Mr Parker
Sony doesn't know what they wanna do.. their a bunch of dummies

thats something thats been well known since 2001.

Darth Martin
facepalm

BruceSkywalker
more folks in the mix to play parker/spidey..

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=19010

Mr Parker
more folks in the mix to play parker/spidey..

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=19010

i sure hope neither of those two do.I know peter was a geek in the beginning but he doesnt have to LOOK like a gook like these two do.mcguire at least didnt look like a geek.His looks alone made me like his casting choice its just he is such a horrible actor was the thing i could not stand about him.get someone that his looks similiar to him where they dont look like a geek like these two do.i still dont understand why they cant get zac efron with his hair dyed like he had it in Hairspray.Zac not only fits the part but he is a good actor as well.well he was in hairspray anyways,thats the only film i have seen him in.cant believe all these stupid girls that think he is so hot without his hair dyed. roll eyes (sarcastic)

With his hair dyed black like it was in hairspray,he looked really handsome,with his natural hair color,he is nothing to look at. laughing

Badabing
I'm against any big change to super hero movies. Hollywood has effed up enough comic based movies.

I just can't think of one good reason to make a race statement by altering a character in such a way. I mean I wouldn't want Bats or Supes to be red heads with freckles.

Yeah, a part of me has always wanted an iconic character to be a brash, inner city Italian with an eff you attitude. But that's the breaks. But I can understand why some of our Black posters would want to see a mainstream character as a Black man or woman. Let's face it, until pretty recently, there weren't many Black comic book characters at all.

The studios will go with what will make them the most money. I think drastically altering a popular character would bite them in the ass.

But, I have found one actor who would be a perfect, nerdy Peter Parker...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/2005_0308_urkel.jpg

stick out tongue

chomperx9
i think mclovin should play the part of peter parker

SamZED
They want to make him black just so they could say -"Hey, look at us! We are so NOT racist that we see no difference! Black? White? Doesn't matter! We're all the SAME!" And while treating all races with respect is a great thing, the idea itself and reasons behind it are laughable. 50 years from now people would watch the movie and say "Wait, isn't he supposed to be white?" or "What was the point of that?"erm

Phoenix2001
It's just a terrible idea. Period. It's not like Hollywood is so low on good white actors that they have to resort to someone who isn't white in order to get high quality acting skills. They can find someone who is decent at acting, and white. It doesn't even have to be a big name in acting, because this is Spider-Man. You don't need a huge name for this film.

KCJ506
As a black person myself I wanna say heres my thing about changing of race: I have a double standard

I didn't mind the Nick Fury change because this one is based off the Ultimate version which is based off SLJ himself.

I didn't mind the Kingpin change because where are you gonna find a white actor big enough and is actually right for the role? I heard they screen tested white actors and they all sucked.

I don't mind the change of Heimdall in Thor because he doesn't have his own series. He's just a supporting character. Who cares? I can't believe people are still bitching about this.

However there's no need a turn a major character into a different race. Not only is Spider-man a huge Marvel character he's iconic. And in a live action movie I would like Peter Parker to resemble his comic book counterpart as much as possible.

Instead changing white major characters into blacks why not build up the minority characters? Why not make a Black Panther movie? Why not put Vixen in a film? Where is the Luke Cage film that they were working so hard on?

Bob.Marley
Mr Parker the people that are okay with a black spidey obviously are not die hard fans.

Stan Lee:
as far as I'm concerned ... anybody should have a chance to audition for the role.

Brian Michael Bendis

At the end of the day, the writers/creators don't find the idea ludicrous, so some of y'all need to calm down.

SamZED
That's so... but what did you really expect Stan Lee to say? "No! I dont want Spider-man to be black! That's a stupid idea!"? That'd destroy his life, he'd lose all the respect he's ever had. Ofcourse he'd say that he he's ok with that.
What's so bad about making the characters the way they're supposed to be? Black Panther shouldn't be asian, he should be black because he's black in the books. While Spider-man was white so he should be white in the movies. Seriously, if they make him black it'd only show that they've got issues.

Bob.Marley
That's so... but what did you really expect Stan Lee to say? "No! I dont want Spider-man to be black! That's a stupid idea!"? That'd destroy his life, he'd lose all the respect he's ever had. Ofcourse he'd say that he he's ok with that.
What's so bad about making the characters the way they're supposed to be? Black Panther shouldn't be asian, he should be black because he's black in the books. While Spider-man was white so he should be white in the movies. Seriously, if they make him black it'd only show that they've got issues.

That's the thing though, I don't really think that line of logic really is relevant in this case. Black Panther is the first black superhero of the modern era. His race definitely is an issue by proxy... not to mention that he's the ruler of a country in Africa.

Peter Parker always struck me as a typical NYer (that's part of his appeal). His race doesn't define him. That's not the case with the vast majority of black superheroes.

What do you mean be the way he's supposed to be? I think the reason there is a difference of opinion on this issue is because people interpret comics differently. When I read a comic I don't particularly care about a character's race. It doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. What matters is the character of the protagonist and the choices he makes. Spiderman is defined by his choices to me, not the color of his skin.

If they can produce a Spiderman adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the comics, I'm all for it. Black/white/yellow/brown/red - IDC.

SamZED
Originally posted by Bob.Marley
That's the thing though, I don't really think that line of logic really is relevant in this case. Black Panther is the first black superhero of the modern era. His race definitely is an issue by proxy... not to mention that he's the ruler of a country in Africa.

Peter Parker always struck me as a typical NYer (that's part of his appeal). His race doesn't define him. That's not the case with the vast majority of black superheroes.

What do you mean be the way he's supposed to be? I think the reason there is a difference of opinion on this issue is because people interpret comics differently. When I read a comic I don't particularly care about a character's race. It doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. What matters is the character of the protagonist and the choices he makes. Spiderman is defined by his choices to me, not the color of his skin.

If they can produce a Spiderman adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the comics, I'm all for it. Black/white/yellow/brown/red - IDC.
There's no other way to interprete the stories really. Some people get the wrong idea - they hear us say "he is supposed to be white" and think that it means we're somehow biased against black people or racists. Well its not true. The race does not change the way I think of the character, but I also dont need to PRETEND that im colorblind to show everyone that I have no prejudice. I dont care what's your race as long as you're a good person but there's also nothing wrong with respecting the source material. Black people were decriminated for years so now some people do their best to SHOW that they're not biased even to the point when they pretend they see no difference and making Spider-man black is just another way of showing that, at least that's what they think and it's ridiculous tbh. It doesnt matter that Parker's race wont effect his character. What matters is - he's white, and there's no bias or hatred in keeping him that way.

Phoenix2001
I totally agree with SamZED here.

This IDC attitude towards the race issue is nice, but to "pretend that we're colorblind" as SamZED puts it is a little overboard on the subject. Yeah, yeah, respect people of other races, blah, blah, blibdy blah, race doesn't define the character, yakkty yak... whatever, we get it. However, we don't need to get stupid about it and act like race doesn't exist, because it obviously does. Race does define a character to a degree as it presents a certain level of uniqueness; race presents a particular background that other characters may not have. Sure, race doesn't matter in the long run, but there's a reason why different characters are of different races, even species.

Really, Spider-Man doesn't have to be white, but he is. Luke Cage doesn't have to be black, but he is. Mr. Negative doesn't have to be asian, but he is. Thanos and several other E.T. characters don't have to be alien, but they are.

If the writers and movie makers decided to make Spider-Man some space alien, I wonder how many objectors there would be then. But, oh, Spider-Man isn't defined by his species, so IDC. Where can the line be drawn on this issue? You can respectfully dismiss people of other races when you need to find someone of the right race just like you can respectfully dismiss people who are 3 foot tall when you need to find someone who is much taller. This issue can be solved without it becoming some political nonsense that everyone seems so quick to plaster it with.

BruceSkywalker
I totally agree with SamZED here.

This IDC attitude towards the race issue is nice, but to "pretend that we're colorblind" as SamZED puts it is a little overboard on the subject. Yeah, yeah, respect people of other races, blah, blah, blibdy blah, race doesn't define the character, yakkty yak... whatever, we get it. However, we don't need to get stupid about it and act like race doesn't exist, because it obviously does. Race does define a character to a degree as it presents a certain level of uniqueness; race presents a particular background that other characters may not have. Sure, race doesn't matter in the long run, but there's a reason why different characters are of different races, even species.

Really, Spider-Man doesn't have to be white, but he is. Luke Cage doesn't have to be black, but he is. Mr. Negative doesn't have to be asian, but he is. Thanos and several other E.T. characters don't have to be alien, but they are.

If the writers and movie makers decided to make Spider-Man some space alien, I wonder how many objectors there would be then. But, oh, Spider-Man isn't defined by his species, so IDC. Where can the line be drawn on this issue? You can respectfully dismiss people of other races when you need to find someone of the right race just like you can respectfully dismiss people who are 3 foot tall when you need to find someone who is much taller. This issue can be solved without it becoming some political nonsense that everyone seems so quick to plaster it with.

good words

chomperx9

If they can produce a Spiderman adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the comics, I'm all for it. Black/white/yellow/brown/red - IDC. so panthers race is relevant to him because of where he is from and parkers race does not define him of where he is from ?

1st of all there is more than just a black race in africa. there are hispanics whites and many other races in africa as well

sure there is more than just one race in NY as well

but your nationality does not define your race and that goes for all races because there are different races all over the world mixed up in different countries.

so its unfair saying black panther and storm are black because they are from africa and saying parker isnt white because of where he is from.

chomperx9
There's no other way to interprete the stories really. Some people get the wrong idea - they hear us say "he is supposed to be white" and think that it means we're somehow biased against black people or racists. Well its not true. The race does not change the way I think of the character, but I also dont need to PRETEND that im colorblind to show everyone that I have no prejudice. I dont care what's your race as long as you're a good person but there's also nothing wrong with respecting the source material. Black people were decriminated for years so now some people do their best to SHOW that they're not biased even to the point when they pretend they see no difference and making Spider-man black is just another way of showing that, at least that's what they think and it's ridiculous tbh. It doesnt matter that Parker's race wont effect his character. What matters is - he's white, and there's no bias or hatred in keeping him that way. yeah changing a superheroes race and runing classics for equal oppurtunity is not gonna change how the blacks feel about what happened in the past with their race. and also the title saying on that site where the blog started saying the last thing spiderman needs to be is another white guy. well i dont think the black community would appreciate it and it would probably be all over the news for racism if just one person started some blog saying the last thing fat albert needs to be is another black guy.

but no writers are gonna change fat alberts race or any other black characters race to make things fair. A because the white fans wouldnt like it just as much as the black fans of changing their characters race if they are played and drawn that color for a long time. black panther bishp storm all of them they kept drawing those characters their race all these years for a reason and nobody would appreciate if they changed that.

so why change the race of a white character thats been drawn for decades now ? just to put on afew happy faces hey look spiderman is also black that shows blacks can be superheroes to ?

come on now

Juk3n
Dude, stop using Fat Albert as an example, it doesn't fit here for obvious reasons. The same way a T'Challa example wouldn't fit. When being WHITE, and brought up in a WHITE community becomes part of what makes 'spider-man, spiderman' THEN you can use Fat Albert as an example and not sound ignorant. Look at Fat Alberts character, go watch the show. Him being black in a black community is intergral to his character. Pete being white ISNT.

Now , no more Fat Albert in your posts, because it makes me want to hit you. You've used it for all the wrong reasons about 20 times in this thread. Its a bad example.

no, stop typing, no, NO..

Fat Albert , T'Challa and Storm are bad examples.

No, leave the keyboard alone, there is no rebuttle, they ARE bad examples and thats NOT an opinion. Good day sir.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Juk3n
Dude, stop using Fat Albert as an example, it doesn't fit here for obvious reasons. The same way a T'Challa example wouldn't fit. When being WHITE, and brought up in a WHITE community becomes part of what makes 'spider-man, spiderman' THEN you can use Fat Albert as an example and not sound ignorant. Look at Fat Alberts character, go watch the show. Him being black in a black community is intergral to his character. Pete being white ISNT.

Now , no more Fat Albert in your posts, because it makes me want to hit you. You've used it for all the wrong reasons about 20 times in this thread. Its a bad example.

no, stop typing, no, NO..

Fat Albert , T'Challa and Storm are bad examples.

No, leave the keyboard alone, there is no rebuttle, they ARE bad examples and thats NOT an opinion. Good day sir. parker grew up in a white community around white friends and white family. how come that doesnt define his race but fat alberts yes ?

Juk3n
parker grew up in a white community around white friends and white family. how come that doesnt define his race but fat alberts yes ?

erm You are beyond help. And im done with the issue if i have to walk people through comparisons like this. Good day.

chomperx9
erm You are beyond help. And im done with the issue if i have to walk people through comparisons like this. Good day. it so sad so many people walk off and try to make themselves look good when they cant even answer a question.

Phoenix2001
erm You are beyond help. And im done with the issue if i have to walk people through comparisons like this. Good day.

So, if they decided to cast a Arabian guy, a red haired freckled faced guy, or black guy as Kan El in a Superman movie, you would be okay with that? Having a white/Italian appearance isn't an integral part to his character, either, since he is not originally from Earth.

BruceSkywalker
ok....ok....ok... all talk of peter parker being black is now going to cease to exist.. it is over.. let me repeat...over.. Sony Pictures has found their man apparently..

Introducing Peter Parker

Juk3n
Hidden message should have gone with Glover

Kinneary
ok....ok....ok... all talk of peter parker being black is now going to cease to exist.. it is over.. let me repeat...over.. Sony Pictures has found their man apparently..

Introducing Peter Parker
Or not.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=19628

Stall_19
They've finally chosen their next Spider-Man http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1103478p1.html Seems a little old but I'm willing to give him a chance.

KCJ506
The setting might change from high school to college.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/breaking-sony-pictures-announces-andrew-garfield-for-spider-man

That's probably why they went with an older actor.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Stall_19
They've finally chosen their next Spider-Man http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1103478p1.html Seems a little old but I'm willing to give him a chance. that guy looks like he should play harry osborn

Mindset
Parker HS > Parker College.

chomperx9
Parker HS > Parker College. but parker got punked in HS

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Stall_19
They've finally chosen their next Spider-Man http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1103478p1.html Seems a little old but I'm willing to give him a chance.

so they cast a near 30 year old dude to portray a high schooler facepalm

Originally posted by KCJ506
The setting might change from high school to college.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/breaking-sony-pictures-announces-andrew-garfield-for-spider-man

so now all of a sudden parker will now be in college and become Spiderman facepalm

WTF is wrong with Sony Pictures???

RE: Blaxican
It's Sony.

KCJ506
I don't get it.

A lot of people were complaining when they said that the character's going back to high school(and even accused it of going the Twilight route) but now that Sargent has rewrote the script for him to be in the start of his college years, people are now STILL complaining because they think that they'll make it to where he becomes Spider-Man in college? Seriously, can people make up their minds?

Mindset
I don't get it.

A lot of people were complaining when they said that the character's going back to high school(and even accused it of going the Twilight route) but now that Sargent has rewrote the script for him to be in the start of his college years, people are now STILL complaining because they think that they'll make it to where he becomes Spider-Man in college? Seriously, can people make up their minds? It doesn't make sense to reboot Spiderman and have him start in college, unless they are gonna have him already have his powers and be a superhero.

KCJ506
It doesn't make sense to reboot Spiderman and have him start in college, unless they are gonna have him already have his powers and be a superhero.

That could be what they're doing.

And if he does get his powers while in college so what? Not every comic adaption is gonna be 100% true to the comics.

Mindset
That could be what they're doing.

And if he does get his powers while in college so what? Not every comic adaption is gonna be 100% true to the comics. Heh, kinda what this entire thread was about, except changing him from white to black would be less of a change from him not getting his powers in highschool.

chomperx9
Heh, kinda what this entire thread was about, except changing him from white to black would be less of a change from him not getting his powers in highschool. naw the white to black part would be a bigger change

Phoenix2001
changing him from white to black would be less of a change from him not getting his powers in highschool.

The powers are more important than race, I agree. However, if it's okay to make Spider-Man a black guy, then it's okay to make Superman a black guy as well. And we all know how iconic a character Superman is...

Bob.Marley
naw the white to black part would be a bigger change
Superman's look is iconic. There is a big difference. It would be like making a red hulk.

BlackZero30x
Superman's look is iconic. There is a big difference. It would be like making a red hulk.

....the end their almost sounded serious

Mindset
naw the white to black part would be a bigger change How is changing him to a different race a bigger change than having him go through highschool w/o powers and getting them in college?

Do you even read Spiderman comics?

chomperx9
How is changing him to a different race a bigger change than having him go through highschool w/o powers and getting them in college?

Do you even read Spiderman comics? was a joke. just a test to see how long it would take for someone to respond to that.

srankmissingnin
It doesn't make sense to reboot Spiderman and have him start in college, unless they are gonna have him already have his powers and be a superhero.

Actually, I think it makes a ton of senses. Maybe its just me, but a lot, A LOT, of people I know currently or went to high school with seem to suffer from some sort of "Peter Pan syndrome". Do nothing twenty something slackers seems like a common trend these days. The reality of the situation is that "life" stars later today than it did in the past.

I blame the internet... and the beer... and also the weed cool

Mindset
But that's not Peter Parker, he is a dedicated "nerd" who gets picked on in HS, he has to deal will all this while trying to live a double life as a super hero, that pretty much shapes his character.

chomperx9
But that's not Peter Parker, he is a dedicated "nerd" who gets picked on in HS, he has to deal will all this while trying to live a double life as a super hero, that pretty much shapes his character. so to define him as white he would have to have a background of playing hockey or watch nascar every weekend ? ask yourself seriously does he act and sound like more of a white character or black ?

Juk3n
highschool and a nerd, in New York. Could be any race.

chomperx9
highschool and a nerd, in New York. Could be any race. true but his family and friends are white. and if storms family defines her race why not parkers ?

Juk3n
true but his family and friends are white. and if storms family defines her race why not parkers ?

Because there are no white people in Marvel Earths Africa. Obviously.

chomperx9
Because there are no white people in Marvel Earths Africa. Obviously. then theres no blacks in marvel earths america then.

Juk3n
then theres no blacks in marvel earths america then.

Weve seen them,

ive never seen a white wakanden. True story.

chomperx9
Weve seen them,

who ? any super hero or villain from america in the marvel universe is white 99.9 % of the time.

DazzOne
Boy, chmperx9, you'll say anything to win argument. Even BS like "the marvel universe is white 99.9 % of the time." Part of the reason people are more attracted to Marvel in the first place is because it much more diverse than D.C.'s universe.

chomperx9
Originally posted by DazzOne
Boy, chmperx9, you'll say anything to win argument. Even BS like "the marvel universe is white 99.9 % of the time." Part of the reason people are more attracted to Marvel in the first place is because it much more diverse than D.C.'s universe. i was just trying to even things out. some folks were trying to use some characters making their race relevant to who they are just because where they were from and grew up. i was making a point that the same facts applied to parker but they dont want to accept it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.