Favourite Lightsaber battles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediRobin23
Still have to say Luke vs Vader EP VI

ChocolateCake
Luke vs Vader(ESB) because it is the most significant in my opinion.

Zoom
Luke vs Darth Vader (EP V)

Sith Master X
I like Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, but I'm still sold on Yoda Vs. Dooku. That is just one of the coolest fights in the entire series. The first time Yoda whipped out his lightsaber at the theaters, the audience went crazy. I'll never forget it.

JediRobin23
yeah that was great, although the others were great too. EP VI, Son fighting father, son defeating father, father saving son...

RichardBrittain
I went for Obiwan vs Vader, because it's at an important time in the development of the plot and the outcome is unexpected. It's two real masters with class fighting.

ares834
Luke vs Vader (RotJ) best fight, most emotional, best music.

JediRobin23
222 views, just vote, I wanna see

steverules_2
Ep V fight was really good. I thought it showed that although Yoda and Ben/Obi-Wan had little faith as to how well Luke would do against Vader and when Luke faced Vader he did really well for someone who wasn't a proper Jedi. Luke showed some real skill and I enjoyed the fight a lot, Luke came real close to beating Vader considering his lightsabre hit vaders arm, that could have turned the tables had he lost his arm but in the end it was Luke who his his hand.

JediRobin23
funny no one said anakin vs obiwan. most anticipated fight

ADarksideJedi
Arn't we forgetting about the battle between Darth Vader and Obi?

Lord Shadow Z
I enjoyed Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul better than the rest-in fact looking back it was the only part I liked about the film.

I don't know about any one else but I've always wondered why in Anakin vs Obi-Wan in ROTS he (Anakin) doesn't fight with a red lightsaber. Without the contrast between the two colours the fight looked messy to me.

Plus, from a symbolism side it would have given more weight to the fact he had been turned into a Sith.

queeq
Actually I disagree. They were 'brothers', so they fought with the same colour lightsabre. In ANH they are enemies, so the colours differ. I think the symbolism (or the lightsabre colour) is not the problem here

JediRobin23
In ANH, Obiwan had to give Luke his fathers lightsaber. May have seemed odd giving him a red one. Although red meant nothing at the time when ANH was released.

In ESB, the red vs blue came up with Vader vs Luke, so people assumed red meant darkside, blue being good

Or What Lucas could have done was

Have Anakin in ROTS change his lightsaber to red when he trurned to the darkside, then in ANH have Obiwan give him the blue one. This would say, Obiwan gave Luke his true fathers lightsaber

queeq
But it being blue already made it Luke's true father's lightsabre. You have to understand the symbolism of the colours here.

And even red has been thought about: it is after all the colour of passion and aggresion... sounds very Sith to me.
Blue is the colour of calm - the colour of the Jedi.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Or What Lucas could have done was

Have Anakin in ROTS change his lightsaber to red when he trurned to the darkside, then in ANH have Obiwan give him the blue one. This would say, Obiwan gave Luke his true fathers lightsaber

That was more like what I thought should have happened. He could have discarded the lightsaber after killing the younglings, been awarded a red lightsaber from Palpatine to mirror his own. Obi-Wan could have found it and held onto it from then on as a keepsake of his 'Jedi' friend.

As for the red lightsaber as a symbol, it does, in fact symbolise the Sith even in the PT, Darth Maul, Dooku, and Palpatine all had red lightsabers so it should have progressed into Anakin getting one.

As a side issue two blue lightsabers in battle just felt too confused and messy, it just lacked contrast with two blue lines blurring around each other.

queeq
Anakin did get a red one... after OB1 stole his blue one. wink

Lord Shadow Z
You know what I mean big grin

I mean he should have had one to wield at the end of ROTS, it would have went with the dark attire he was wearing, you know how image concious Siths are!

Even in the OT Darth Vader never really smote anyone with the lightsaber outside of the standard one-on-one battles.

queeq
Well I don't really care about the lightsabre battle. I would have liked the idea that Anakin would already have gone bad a$$ chasing Jedi and that OB1 then decides to appeal to Anakin's remainder of goodness... As Vader's speech to Luke in ROTJ suggested. A red lightsabre would not have been bad then.

JediRobin23
perhaps its a matter of Anakin in ROTS not throwing away a perfectly good blue lightsaber. When he made his new one, he chose red afterwards

Lord Shadow Z
perhaps its a matter of Anakin in ROTS not throwing away a perfectly good blue lightsaber. When he made his new one, he chose red afterwards

Well that's where changing the way the story went could have helped. I would have had Anakin helping Palpatine kill Windu as it happens. Palpatine relieves him of his blue one and presents him with a red one, thus bringing symbolism into play and with that affirming his initiation into the Sith. Yoda could then have found the blue one and passed it on to Obi-Wan after his fight with Palpatine.

I mean, its a small gripe to have I know but I don't have that Jedi vs Sith feel when I watch that fight. Having the red lightsaber there would have improved the fight, for me anyway.

queeq
I chose Luke vs. Darth Vader in Ep VI... it's the one that most emotional and also has the most at stake. It's the battle that settles both the fate of Luke and the Skywalker family as a whole, as well as the future of the rebellion and the Empire. No other fight has so much at stake.

Darth Piggott
I liked Luke vs. Darth Vader Ep V, because it was the first episode of Star Wars I saw. I'm young lol

JediRobin23
EP I and VI in the lead. What happened to a Yoda vs Sidious

DopamineDarling
Darth Maul vs Quigon/Obiwan, great music.

Darth Subjekt
To me, Luke v Vader in ESB epitomizes the entire saga. Its filled fear, aprehension, overzealousness, conflict (internal and external), and it just kind of encompassed the very definition of struggle. I remember watching it and sitting up in the chair and getting excited as soon as Luke raises up into the room.

While the battle in ROTJ kinda brings everything full circle, I still prefer the ESB fight because neither of them knew what to expect. I loved it. I still do. Every now and then I still look it up online or throw the movie in and cue it up.

After that, I'd have to say Anakin v Ob1. Mainly for the asthetics and flash. PLUS, the emotion behind it. Brothers fighting to the death, so-to-speak. Not as powerful as the aformentioned fights, but still very well done.

queeq
A bit long though, and a bit silly with the flying platforms.

JediRobin23
Yeah, and dont forget the too many close ups and changing frames all the time

Still good though

Vensai

It would be a massive plot hole if Obiwan did not get the blue lightsaber for Luke.

-Pr-
For emotion: Luke vs Vader in ROTJ.
For choreography: Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

I thought the one at the end of Episode 3 was badly directed, very repetitive, with only a few moments of real innovation, and lacking in emotion until the end.

Vensai
Originally posted by -Pr-
For emotion: Luke vs Vader in ROTJ.
For choreography: Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

I thought the one at the end of Episode 3 was badly directed, very repetitive, with only a few moments of real innovation, and lacking in emotion until the end.

I felt it was pretty entertaining all things considered. And I consider ESB the most emotional fight.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I enjoyed Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul better than the rest-in fact looking back it was the only part I liked about the film.

I don't know about any one else but I've always wondered why in Anakin vs Obi-Wan in ROTS he (Anakin) doesn't fight with a red lightsaber. Without the contrast between the two colours the fight looked messy to me.

Plus, from a symbolism side it would have given more weight to the fact he had been turned into a Sith.

All this talk of different colored Sabers. The color of light saber, per movie canon only, is based on who built it:
Obiwan trained Anakin to build his own light saber- blue like Obiwans
Palpatine trained Vader to build his light saber- red like Sidius'
Yoda trained Luke to build his light saber- green like Yoda's
Emotion and morals have nothing to do with the saber color, only the materials used to build them.

I voted for the Darth Maul fight, after 3 movies (4,5,6) of watching old men, part robots and unskilled Jedi swing light sabers, it was cool to see 3 well trained, top of their game, knights go at it for once.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by 003
Luke vs Darth Vader (EP V)

C-3POTheClever
My 3 favourite duels are the main one's in 1, 3 & 6.

queeq
ESB and ROTJ. Not the best choreography, but emotionally they are far superior to all the other ones.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.