The Dresden Files

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lincoln Rhyme
Now for all of you who have not read a book from this mystery/horror/fantasy/comedic series,shame on you mad . Let me give the rundown:

The Dresden Files are about a wizard investigator in modern day Chicago. His name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. His investigation cases include: ghouls,werewolves,vampires,ghosts,demons,necromanc
ers,fairy's,trolls,zombies,and
killer unicorns. Basically any supernatural creature,thing, etc. you will likely find in this series. Harry is quite the smart-ass and,he can't keep his opinions to himself,even to the people that could easily kill him for running his mouth. Harry has been known to get his balls in a vice in just about every book of the series because of his comedic smart mouth.

Harry is a consultant of Chicago's Special Investigations unit,who take the "unexplainable" cases and help keep people in the dark about the world of the supernatural. Head of this branch is Lieutenant Karrin Murphy AKA badass *****. She calls in Harry for advice,and usually gives him cases to solve.

So what are you waiting for!? Get started with Storm Front by Jim Butcher. The series currently has 12 books in it.

Jaeh
A Wizard P.I. who's in the phone book.

honestly? no one has posted in this? read it, it's awesome. beyond words.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/1248964599329.jpg

...enough said. go out and read.

The Scenario
Awesome series. Every single character is badass to one degree or another.

Even Butters.

AfroMan
The 13th book comes out in July! I CAN'T WAIT!

Omega Vision
Love the book series. Got turned onto them by a friend this summer and I was almost immediately hooked.

I referred two people directly to them along with one person indirectly. They all became as hooked as I am.

Supposedly Ghost Story's first chapter has been leaked onto the net.

I read it, and I can't say if its legit or not only that it does feel like the right style and that if real I am quite interested in how it'll play out based on what happened in the leaked chapter.

celestialdemon
Getting closer...

miiih
My friend I have gone through this one. Basically, take traditional hardboiled fiction, give it a mind bending preternatural twist and you have Storm Front, the first book in a new series with the potential to send author Jim Butcher to the top of the gumshoe sub-genre of horror/fantasy fiction.
Harry Dresden, the series' protagonist, is everything that's great about the hardboiled anti-hero, with a twist: He's a wizard trying to make a living working practical magic in a modern world that's foolishly rejected the supernatural in favor of science and technology. Part average guy, part renaissance man, Harry's got a dark side, a wicked sense of humor and a deeply rooted, personal code of honor that drives him to risk everything to fight the supernatural forces preying on his clients, an attitude that puts him at constant, dangerous odds with both the bad guys and the authorities alike.

In Storm Front, when a routine murder investigation turns out to be anything but routine, the police reluctantly turn to Harry for help. But a case that started as a way to pay the rent soon gets complicated for Harry when he's forced to cross paths with the Chicago mob and a mysterious figure known as the Shadowman, drawing Harry into a web of black magic and danger.

Already under the Doom of Damocles (a form of probation placed on him by the White Council who oversee the ethical use of magic in the world of the mundane) Harry himself falls under suspicion and is forced to risk execution to solve the mystery and stop the Shadowman, before the killer takes another victim.

Storm Front is a riveting, action packed roller coaster of a novel, a damn good mystery with compelling characters set in a rich alternate reality universe where anything can happen. There's a little something for just about everyone here from black magic and the Chicago mob to vampire madams, demons and the fey.

I enjoyed this novel immensely and am looking forward to the next in the series.

BlackZero30x
im now getting ready to read Death Masks. I absolutely love these books. I read Storm Front sometime ago and I loved it but I got pre-occupied and had not read any for a long time. Once I heard that a new one is being released I had to pick it up again. So like I said im starting Death Masks now. And I have to say im not just reading these im practically consuming them. I have never read a book series like I am this one. Im trying to catch up before the new one is released. It shouldn't be that hard since im going through each one in a matter of 2-3 days....4 if im really busy lol

Omega Vision
If you're talking about Skin Game you needn't worry, it's not coming out till December.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If you're talking about Skin Game you needn't worry, it's not coming out till December. yes indeed I am. I hadn't realised it wasn't until the end of the year though! Im not going to know what to do to actually have to wait to read one lol

Omega Vision
I got into the series around when Changes was released--summer of 2010, so Skin Games is the the third book I've had to wait on. The worst part will be right after you finish Cold Days, but after a month or so your withdrawal symptoms should subside.

The good news is that there are (including Skin Games) six more books to go in the main series, and then after that Butcher is writing an "Apocalyptic trilogy" to cap it off.

My brother is also a fan of the series (I introduced them to him) and he was commenting how strange it is to think that he'll be in his mid-thirties when the series ends (assuming there are no delays). Hell, I'll be in my thirties too.

BlackZero30x
lol I got into it because I watched the show and I enjoyed it. I saw the "based on the novels" line and wanted to try them. The books (as is with most books) are much better then the show imo. Im pretty much done with Death Masks and am moving on to blood rites but since I have so much time to catch up i'll probably slow down a bit......I say that as if im not dieing to read the next lol.

I won't know what to do after its all over lol. I read the first in the Codex of Alera but I really couldn't get into it so I doubt I wil pick that series up.

Omega Vision
Yeah, I've never looked at the show because just from reading the synopses of the few episodes they produced it sounds greatly inferior to the novels.

Codex Alera...yeah, the first two books kind of suck if you're comparing them to the Dresden Files, and they never really get as good as the DF, but books 3 and 4 are pretty good. 5 as well, but I felt like the quality began to drop toward the end.

Blood Rites is actually one of my least favorite of the series, but it's not bad. Starting with Dead Beat the series really starts to reach its potential.

To me, all the books are good, but the best ones are Grave Peril, Dead Beat, White Night, Small Favor, Turncoat, and Changes while the least awesome are Stormfront, Summer Knight, Bloodrites, Proven Guilty, and Ghost Story.

BlackZero30x
Yeah the show is so absolutely different then the books its as if they didn't even consider what was in the books. I like it as far as the novelty of introducing me to the books.

Like I said im trying to take it easy so I have less time to wait but it only will do so much good lol Im half way through Proven Guilty now. Dead Beat was really good! It gave me a sort of love for Butters! lol

Omega Vision
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Yeah the show is so absolutely different then the books its as if they didn't even consider what was in the books. I like it as far as the novelty of introducing me to the books.

Like I said im trying to take it easy so I have less time to wait but it only will do so much good lol Im half way through Proven Guilty now. Dead Beat was really good! It gave me a sort of love for Butters! lol
The good news then is that Butters becomes a regular in the latest books. He becomes Harry's doctor, more or less.

Omega Vision
Butcher reading the first few chapters of Skin Game:

5-p_CTynqd8

BlackZero30x
Well I gotta say this is some good stuff!

Newjak
I just finished reading the current set of books out. Finished Cold Days last night it was awesome. I've been enjoying this series a lot of fun.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Newjak
I just finished reading the current set of books out. Finished Cold Days last night it was awesome. I've been enjoying this series a lot of fun. How long did they last for you?

I've gotten half a dozen people onto the series, and some of them have finished the entire series in under a week.

I paced myself, and read up to Changes over a course of about three months after discovering the series.

Newjak
How long did they last for you?

I've gotten half a dozen people onto the series, and some of them have finished the entire series in under a week.

I paced myself, and read up to Changes over a course of about three months after discovering the series. I read them over the course of 3 months as well. A friend of mine had the entire series and wanted to get me hooked on it so he had someone to talk with him about it.

It's often better to read slower in my opinion helps digest stuff better.

Omega Vision
When I read genre fiction I tend to tear through it, but with literary fiction I read at a third grader's pace. Or at least I feel as if I do. Whenever I read a Toni Morrison or Vladimir Nabokov book I take a month, but a Dresden Files book, which tends to be 50% longer, takes me a week. I think it's because I read DF books as a reader, not as a writer.

Newjak
That makes sense generally a Dresden book takes me about a week to read but I don't try to break it down I just go along for the ride and see if I enjoy it.

What has been your favorite books and characters so far?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Newjak
That makes sense generally a Dresden book takes me about a week to read but I don't try to break it down I just go along for the ride and see if I enjoy it.

What has been your favorite books and characters so far?
Good question. For a while it was Grave Peril, until I read Dead Beat. Then...I don't know, Changes was pretty amazing, as was Cold Days. Ghost Story was my least favorite.

Favorite characters include Marcone, Bob, Mouse, Mister, Harry, and Nicodemus.

Newjak
Excellent I also enjoyed Dead Beat, I enjoyed Death Mask and Grave Peril. Changes was good. I actually liked Ghost Stories I felt it was a nice change up from Harry's normal pace. I really liked Cold Days along with Turn Coat. I don't know if there is one I particularly disliked but if I had to choose a least favorite it might be Blood Rights or Small Favors.

My favorites are Bob, Mouse, Susan, Michael, and Thomas. Harry and Marcone are like my second tier favorites.

BlackZero30x
The official release for Skin Game is May 27th. Im pretty excited!

Newjak
Me to and that is my birthday so I'm expecting it as a present!

BlackZero30x
haha thats funny because my birthday is the 24th so I was expecting it as a late birthday present!

Omega Vision
got my little brother to start reading around New Years. He's now reading Ghost Story.

That makes five people I've gotten to read the series.

BlackZero30x
The majority of my friends that do read books don't care about the series much. Most of them have the mind set that if its not Game of Thrones they aren't interested. I personally couldn't get into those books much.

Omega Vision
You're just not pitching it well enough. stick out tongue

NemeBro
I've read the first in the series, I am stuck in limbo within the second. That was before my "Finish what you start" book policy was in place. I'll finish it one day. One day.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by NemeBro
I've read the first in the series, I am stuck in limbo within the second. That was before my "Finish what you start" book policy was in place. I'll finish it one day. One day.
It gets SO MUCH better after the first two books, trust me. Not that the first two books are bad, mind you.

ShadowFyre
I absolutely love this series. I haven't read the latest one but I hope they explore Odin and the dragon from the 3rd book more.

Omega Vision
Ferrovax is supposed to play a major role in the "Apocalyptic Trilogy" at the end of the series.

Odin...yeah, he had a big role in Cold Days.

ShadowFyre
Thank you for the dragons name. I have read all of them up to ghost story. The local library doesn't have the newest ones. Guess km gonna have to buy everything after that.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Thank you for the dragons name. I have read all of them up to ghost story. The local library doesn't have the newest ones. Guess km gonna have to buy everything after that.
Newest one. There's only been one book out so far since Ghost Story.

Skin Games isn't coming out till May.

ShadowFyre
Yeah. Its been almost a year since I read them. Perfect reason to re read them. Has anyone watched the show? I never have. I heard it was horrible.

Omega Vision
I haven't seen it. I think it was canceled after a few episodes.

BlackZero30x
It got a whole 1st season. It was ok but the only thing that seems to have not been changed are the names. They really could have taken it a much better direction.

EDIT: and the Dragon in the show was kinda meh. Really didn't seem to have the power like they are portrayed in the books.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by NemeBro

Like Omega Vision said it gets really good! I think once you pick up steam on the second you will be happy you did. Then the rest of the books are even better. Deadbeat(book 5) and Cold Days(book 14) are my two favorites. The rest are all really good though.

Omega Vision
The weakest three books in the series (IMO), Storm Front, Summer Knight, and Proven Guilty are still great books and would be the highlights of many lesser series.

BlackZero30x
Reading Skin Game right now lol

BlackZero30x
Skin Game was pretty good!

Newjak
Skin Game was pretty good! Agreed it was a lot of fun to read and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Omega Vision
Bout to start it.

Omega Vision
Pretty good all in all.

Lots of twists and turns.

Newjak
Pretty good all in all.

Lots of twists and turns. Definitely agreed

BlackZero30x
The next book(#16) in the series "Peace Talks" is currently being worked on. It seems that Butcher has decided to go for the full 20. On his website there is now a tab under The Dresden Files 16-20.

Newjak
The next book(#16) in the series "Peace Talks" is currently being worked on. It seems that Butcher has decided to go for the full 20. On his website there is now a tab under The Dresden Files 16-20. That's awesome.

Dreampanther
"Parkour!"

He he. Thought this was one of the best Dresdens so far. Really liked the tension between all the members of the team, and loved the bigfoot / skinwalker characters. Was pretty cool to see Harry getting some respect from some serious players. Cool action sequences.

Surtur
Glad to see a topic for this series, I truly love it. I think Butcher has especially been on a roll ever since "Changes".

Though I still have a nagging question from the book "Cold Days". In the beginning when the Winter Court all show up at an event where was Lea?

Dreampanther
I've just finished Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus books and if I didn't know, I would have sworn it was just Jim Butcher just messing around with a British version of Harry Dresden set in London. I didn't like the character quite as much as Harry, but really there are a remarkable amount of similarities.

Anyway, it made me decide to re-read all the Dresden books again from the beginning and so far, I'm quite enjoying myself. I forgot how much fun the first few books were, before it got slightly more serious.

Omega Vision
Wow this is taking a while.

Surtur
I'm still waiting for the next book after "Skin Game".

TheVaultDweller
Yeah Peace Talks is taking quite a while to come out. But then Butcher was busy with that other new Steampunk book series of his as well.

Surtur
I still am curious why Lea was NOWHERE to be found in Cold Days, despite Mab holding some kind of winter court ball where all the winter fae attended, but no Lea?

Dreampanther
You find out later.

Omega Vision
I've gotten the impression that Lea is the Winter Court wildcard, she was probably handling something sensitive at the time and we'll find out later...or Butcher just didn't think about it.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Dreampanther
You find out later.

Surtur
I suppose, but I would think at least Harry would wonder where Lea was. I mean even Santa/Odin showed up. But he doesn't even think as to where Lea is, and remember it was said the ENTIRE winter court had to attend.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Surtur
I suppose, but I would think at least Harry would wonder where Lea was. I mean even Santa/Odin showed up. But he doesn't even think as to where Lea is, and remember it was said the ENTIRE winter court had to attend.

My personal opinion is that Harry is so determined to be independent and so wary of Lea (he knows how powerful she is and how keen she is to tighten her hold on him) that he wouldn't spend a lot of time wondering where she is. He knows she is Mab's second-in-command so would assume wherever she is, it is by Mab's wish (which she is, in fact).

It's not an invalid point to ponder, it just doesn't really matter imo and when her whereabouts are explained later, it all becomes clear and makes sense. wink

Surtur
But Mab wants to do the same thing more or less that Lea does, so shouldn't he be wondering about them both?

Omega Vision
Speaking as a writer, this is always possible:

...or Butcher just didn't think about it.

Surtur
True, but when is this next book set to come out?

Omega Vision
Too long from now. sad

I'm actually not sure, six months ago it was supposedly coming out in May, but now I don't see it coming out before September at the earliest. TBH prepare yourself to wait till early-mid 2017 the way things are going. No news since January is a bad sign.

Dreampanther
But Mab wants to do the same thing more or less that Lea does, so shouldn't he be wondering about them both?

Well, I think that's the wrong way around. Mab's will is law and Lea is her right-hand, therefore Lea wants what Mab wants. Lea's known Harry a bit longer and is fond of him in her own way so she's a bit more concerned about him than Mab is, but I am pretty sure (and I think Harry is as well) that Lea would sacrifice him if that was Mab's will. I think that's why Harry doesn't think about her too much or worry where she is when she isn't close by, because he knows that though she can be useful she's not reliable and would betray him if it was a choice between him and Mab.

Surtur
We at least need a date for when this next book is coming out dag nabbit.

Dreampanther
Going to be next year some time, probably. According to his website he's still writing it, which means after that it still has to be edited, etc. Might have to check out his Wild Card comics in the meanwhile to satisfy my craving for more Dresden. reading

Surtur
Luckily I got all the books on my PC so I might re-read some of the past stuff.

Actually wait perhaps I will check out the audio versions of these books, they are all on youtube for free. The guy who plays Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer does the audio books.

Dreampanther
Luckily I got all the books on my PC so I might re-read some of the past stuff.

I did that earlier this year - read the whole series again from the beginning. Really enjoyed it - when you read the whole series in one go it's amazing to see how everything fits and how the story evolves.

Surtur
Also in case some don't know..you can usually figure out what kind of villains Harry will deal with in a new novel by looking at who he dealt with in past books. More specifically, what seems to be every 5 books. For example, Nicodemus is a key villain in the 5th book "Death Masks" and again in the 10th book "Small Favor" and again in the most recent book(the 15th in the series) Skin Game.

So for the next book #16 you can look at the 11th book. Which the plot was all about the "Black Council" and it introduced The Naagloshii(which was not killed in the 11th book).

Surtur
In the next book I want to see at least two things. I want to see Harry interacting again with the White/Grey Council. They never really had a confrontation about his decision to serve Mab and I'd imagine the Merlin wouldn't be too happy about it. I also want to see him talking with McCoy. Yes they did interact briefly after Harry first took on the mantle, but that was at a battle and then after that Harry died, etc.

Also want to see Lea show up again. I still find her absence from that Winter Ball suspicious. I also want to find out who/what the f*ck the bar owner Mac is, but not necessarily in the next book. Also curious if we'll ever see "He Who Walks Behind" again.

Dreampanther
I am pretty sure Butcher is building up to a big confrontation with the Outsiders. With He Who Walks Behind having taken in interest in Harry from the time he was sixteen and He Who Walks Before popping up in Cold Days, we have now met two of the three Walkers. It seems like they are extremely powerful Ousiders and since we know that only a mortal can open the Outer Gates for them, it seems like they have some scheme in which Harry will play a part.

Having now been to the Outer Gates and seen what a huge army the Gatekeeper and the Winter forces are battling, Harry knows what is at stake and why it is so important that he helps fight the Outsiders. It is also worth noting that Harry is one of the few mortals that has the potential to wield power over Outsiders, according to Lasciel.

Surtur
I think Mac somehow has a connection to the Outsiders too.

Dreampanther
I think Mac somehow has a connection to the Outsiders too.

Yeah, will be interesting to find out exactly how Mac fits in. Apparently Butcher has said that he's dropped enough hints that if you are geeky enough you will figure it out, and I know the one Walker called him "Watcher."

Surtur
Isn't there a type of angel called "Watchers"?

Dreampanther
Isn't there a type of angel called "Watchers"?

There is one theory I've read that makes a pretty convincing argument that Mac could be Uriel, but personally I haven't really speculated about it too much. Butcher hasn't let me down so far in the Dresden series so I'll trust him to reveal everything in his own good time. Besides, Butcher has apparently stated that even if his fans guess correctly, he will just deny it until he's ready!

Surtur
Where the f*ck is book 16?

Dreampanther
Where the f*ck is book 16?

Ha. Still going to be a while - he's still writing it, then it has to be edited, proofread, etc...

But here is a pretty cool interview with him where he talks about it - and man, it's just getting bigger and better.

http://www.comicmix.com/2016/09/26/emily-s-whitten-dresden-files-jim-butcher-talks-peace-talks/

TheVaultDweller
Decided to bump the actual thread in case discussions go on for more than a few posts.

Finally got a copy of Battle Ground and finished it yesterday. Also got the Brief Cases anthology while I was at it. Worth picking up as it has a lot of insightful backstories told from other characters' perspectives, along with Harry's adventures with Rivershoulders. The two from Molly's POV are particularly interesting though and probably tie the most into the series' larger plot. And you also realise that Harry has no idea how much Molly has actually changed and what being the Winter Lady cost her. She literally cannot have sex or it would destroy the Winter Lady's mantle, as she is the "maiden" of the three with the Queen being the "Mother" and Mother Winter the "Crone". And the Mantle will protect itself to keep her chaste, literally possessing her and beating the shit out of anyone she might want to get sexual with. Which is extra sucky as being the Winter Lady amplified her libido. Carlos' injuries he had before the main battle? That was Molly when they tried hooking up after doing a mission together. It's also a common trope in Faerie folklore that wicked Faeries take children. Yeah, that's one of Molly's jobs now. She's literally the wicked Faerie who comes to take children away now, literally to use them as child soldiers against the Outsiders.

As to Battle Ground? I liked it overall, but I did have a few gripes with it. Mainly around some PIS moments as well as a few character inconsistencies with previous novels. I did like the wider lore expansion quite a bit though and thought the ending in particular was pretty good.

I will probably give a more detailed post regarding my thoughts once I've had a chance to let things simmer a bit.

TheVaultDweller
But just to add regarding Molly, consider what I just posted, plus the fact that she's been in love with Harry since basically forever, plus what happens with Lara at the end of Battle Ground, and no wonder the ground underneath her was literally freezing as they walked out of Harry's new castle. That's probably going to be pretty torturous for her.

I also have a number of things to say regarding Marcone and a couple others, but will do that later.

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Decided to bump the actual thread in case discussions go on for more than a few posts.

Finally got a copy of Battle Ground and finished it yesterday. Also got the Brief Cases anthology while I was at it. Worth picking up as it has a lot of insightful backstories told from other characters' perspectives, along with Harry's adventures with Rivershoulders. The two from Molly's POV are particularly interesting though and probably tie the most into the series' larger plot. And you also realise that Harry has no idea how much Molly has actually changed and what being the Winter Lady cost her. She literally cannot have sex or it would destroy the Winter Lady's mantle, as she is the "maiden" of the three with the Queen being the "Mother" and Mother Winter the "Crone". And the Mantle will protect itself to keep her chaste, literally possessing her and beating the shit out of anyone she might want to get sexual with. Which is extra sucky as being the Winter Lady amplified her libido. Carlos' injuries he had before the main battle? That was Molly when they tried hooking up after doing a mission together. It's also a common trope in Faerie folklore that wicked Faeries take children. Yeah, that's one of Molly's jobs now. She's literally the wicked Faerie who comes to take children away now, literally to use them as child soldiers against the Outsiders.

As to Battle Ground? I liked it overall, but I did have a few gripes with it. Mainly around some PIS moments as well as a few character inconsistencies with previous novels. I did like the wider lore expansion quite a bit though and thought the ending in particular was pretty good.

I will probably give a more detailed post regarding my thoughts once I've had a chance to let things simmer a bit.

Interesting, I wonder why. Since Maeve was clearly able to have sex and even tried to boink Harry. It could be that she can't have sex with mortals.

Given Harry is the winter knight she could probably f*ck him lol. He might be the only non-fae she can hook up with.

TheVaultDweller
Interesting, I wonder why. Since Maeve was clearly able to have sex and even tried to boink Harry. It could be that she can't have sex with mortals.

Given Harry is the winter knight she could probably f*ck him lol. He might be the only non-fae she can hook up with.

Maeve tried to, but it never got to that point. I don't actually recall there being proof of her actually having sex with anyone. Or maybe that was part of the Nemesis thing. Maybe it stopped the Mantle from holding her in check and she just didn't get pregnant. The story in question, Cold Case, makes it clear that Maeve had been abdicating her duties for around 200 years, causing all sorts of problems in the process. Though the problems she caused makes sense, considering Nemesis. As mentioned, one of the roles of the Winter Lady is collecting children as soldier recruits for the Outer Gates. Maeve shirking that duty weakens their defenses.

But Mab made it clear that it's no sex. Period. Because if Molly got pregnant, it would literally destroy the Winter Lady mantle, being the role of the "Maiden". She'd have to either lose the mantle or become the new Mab. Because one moment she and Carlos were kissing and getting nekkid, the next moment she found herself covered in blood and Carlos' maimed body on the ground. Not even like Harry who just goes into Psycho Predator mode. The mantel straight up blacked her out and went to town on Carlos. Which, on a somewhat related note, also explains his particular feelings regarding the Faeries, which comes out towards the end of Battle Ground.

TheVaultDweller
It's also kind of funny. Butcher claims he's made his career out of torturing Harry, and he really took it up a notch, especially with the villain gauntlet. Because Butcher loves beating Harry up by throwing villain after villain at him, but this one really took the cake. I mean along with Huntsmen, all the fodder Fomor and their allies, he'd already been in a fight with a friggin' kraken, the giant who survived Thor, and Drakul before he'd even gotten near the Titan.

Though Drakul was one of the inconsistencies. Because back in Blood Rites I think it was, McCoy mentioned that it was Dracula that started the Black Court in "teenage rebellion" or something along those lines to Drakul. But now Drakul is King of the Black Court and no Dracula. So, that was weird. I suppose McCoy could just be misinformed though.

Another inconsistency was Namshiel's character. Pretty much the only things they kept was the uber magic skills and the thorns. Because in Proven Guilty, when they arrive at Arctis Tor, they find the gates destroyed and the defenders incinerated with Hellfire. And Dresden was like WTF, because it would take an extreme amount of power to summon that much heat in the heart of Winter. He even speculates that he'd be nowhere near capable of doing it himself.

Then when Harry encounters him in Small Favor, he shows total contempt for humanity, and speaks in a weird, Eastern European accent IIRC. And Tessa specifically refers to him as Namshiel, not a host name, indicating possession in this instance rather than partnership. And then Harry literally has divine intervention both times they fight in order to survive (first with the Soulfire hand and later with Michael saving his ass when Namshiel had him on the ropes on Demonreach). And Mab later reveals that she and Uriel had a common foe who had to "pay" for Arctis Tor, indicating that it was Namshiel who did it. So, beyond the fact that he was apparently infected by Nemesis and pushed to attack Mab, his accent changed to being British, his willingness to cooperate with humans changed, and it also seems weird that Mab wouldn't notice the fallen angel she has personal beef with riding shotgun with one of her newest BFFs in Marcone. Also, it felt like Harry wasted his Soulfire on that ice wall (instead of just surpercharging it with the ambient magic overload like he did with his other spells through most of the night, or simply being more creative than trying to brute force against giants) just so that they had the whole "we need to find infernal/angelic power" shtick to give Marcone his moment at the end. Though in that regard, Nicodemus now has a legit potential rival for leadership over the Denarians. Marcone already moved in on some of his territory due to the events of Skin Game and now he's backed by another among the most powerful of the Fallen.

That being said, along with a few other moments in the book where I felt the good guys under-utilised their skills and resources for the sake of moving the plot along and amplifying Ethniu's threat factor, I liked the rest of it. There was a bunch of lore expansions, particularly surrounding the relationships between the various deities, angels and such which I found very interesting, as well as some wider activity implications based on a few things Ethniu said. Also, He Who Walks Beside showed you to what extreme lengths they'll go to achieve their goals.

TheVaultDweller
Also, I was both right and wrong about Murphy. Right in my speculation that Butcher cultivated that relationship so that Odin could eventually claim her as one of his revenant warriors, but wrong about it being a plot device to keep her around. Because based on the whole faded memory thing and factoring in the lifespans of some of the people who knew her, she won't be returning to the mortal plane for a long, long time.

And Mab has once again hinted at granting Dresden some form of immortality at some point. There was the Skin Game "only human" "for now" exchange, and then Mab's comment about her and Dresden bickering until "the end of time". So, from her POV of slowly molding Dresden into her ultimate weapon, him getting booted from the White Council and, by extension, no longer being beholden to their laws, is perfect for Mab. Poor Ebenezer though. It must be hard to watch. Harry is walking pretty much the exact same path his mother did, Faeries, White Court, isolation from other Wizards, and the fear from many of those around him.

Surtur
Maeve tried to, but it never got to that point. I don't actually recall there being proof of her actually having sex with anyone. Or maybe that was part of the Nemesis thing. Maybe it stopped the Mantle from holding her in check and she just didn't get pregnant. The story in question, Cold Case, makes it clear that Maeve had been abdicating her duties for around 200 years, causing all sorts of problems in the process. Though the problems she caused makes sense, considering Nemesis. As mentioned, one of the roles of the Winter Lady is collecting children as soldier recruits for the Outer Gates. Maeve shirking that duty weakens their defenses.

But Mab made it clear that it's no sex. Period. Because if Molly got pregnant, it would literally destroy the Winter Lady mantle, being the role of the "Maiden". She'd have to either lose the mantle or become the new Mab. Because one moment she and Carlos were kissing and getting nekkid, the next moment she found herself covered in blood and Carlos' maimed body on the ground. Not even like Harry who just goes into Psycho Predator mode. The mantel straight up blacked her out and went to town on Carlos. Which, on a somewhat related note, also explains his particular feelings regarding the Faeries, which comes out towards the end of Battle Ground.

Interesting, looks like I'll have to check out "Brief Cases". When it came out I glanced at the stories listed and saw I had read most of them, but I guess he added a few new stories. I'd already read the bigfoot, etc stories.

It's interesting that Maeve had been neglecting her duties for centuries, yet Nemesis only had infected her for around a decade.

TheVaultDweller
Interesting, looks like I'll have to check out "Brief Cases". When it came out I glanced at the stories listed and saw I had read most of them, but I guess he added a few new stories. I'd already read the bigfoot, etc stories.

It's interesting that Maeve had been neglecting her duties for centuries, yet Nemesis only had infected her for around a decade.

Guess that's what a couple of centuries worth of sexual frustration does? Because, as I mentioned, the Mantle of Winter Lady actually significantly amplifies the wielder's sexual urges while making it impossible for them to be with anyone sexually. Which seems very cruel, even though there is a canonical explanation for this provided in the story. Which is why the thing with Harry and Lara is probably going to be extra hard on Molly.

TheVaultDweller
But as to the rest of Brief Cases, yeah, some of the stories are older. I'm not sure which all you've read, but just to give you an idea, there are stories revolving around Luccio, Marcone and Butters as well. Molly has two from her POV and, as I said previously, probably the two most relevant to the wider main story in terms of providing further background info. There's even some interesting info regarding Outsiders in Cold Case which also further ties into the wider God/Deity lore provided in Battle Ground. Based on some of the more recent stuff, we're actually only seeing a tiny fraction of what's going on in the Dresden-verse.

TheVaultDweller
On a random note, if Butcher decides to do more stories focused on other characters that aren't so tied to the main plot, I'd love to see a one set during the French & Indian War. Based on some of his comments during fan discussions, Listens-to-Wind, McCoy and Langtry were not only all around at that time, all roughly the same age (about Dresden's current age), but McCoy and Langtry actually fought on opposite sides of that war. Butcher also implied that McCoy threw it down with Listens-to-Wind for the first time somewhere around that period as well. Three of the heaviest magical hitters around (Butcher has said they were "brawny wizards, like Harry"wink throwing it down during that period could make for a very interesting full novel. Never mind short story.

ShadowFyre
I am reading Summer Knights right now. I also own cold days, death masks and proven guilty.

I freaking love these. It's good to see other people still enjoy reading actual books these days. I haven't read brief cases yet or a few others but working on it.

Off topic but have y'all ever read Roger Zelaznys "princes of amber" novels? They are amazing.

TheVaultDweller
I am reading Summer Knights right now. I also own cold days, death masks and proven guilty.

I freaking love these. It's good to see other people still enjoy reading actual books these days. I haven't read brief cases yet or a few others but working on it.

Off topic but have y'all ever read Roger Zelaznys "princes of amber" novels? They are amazing.

Not familiar with Princess of Amber. Will give it a google search some time. And Summer Knight is probably still one of my favourite novels in the series. Dead Beat is another one I particularly enjoyed. If you haven't yet, it's still best to try and read them in chronological order, so that you can follow the larger plot that evolves over the series. But that can be hard to do with the short stories, as they don't always get released in the proper sequence with everything else.

Based on Jim Butcher's past comments, there's going to be 20-21 "case" books (so another 3 or 4 of the ones like we've got so far, where they have their own stories with the overarching series plot evolving alongside), and then have a "Big Apocalypse" trilogy of novels to end off the series, which will be meaningful to those who read the last novel that was released. So, 23-24 books in total when all said and done. At least that was the plan. But based on his history, Butcher might still change the line-up.

TheVaultDweller
Whoops. Princes not Princess lol. And seems they're not too badly priced. Less than half the cost of Battle Ground per novel from the looks of it.

I've recently been reading some Warhammer 40k stuff again as well. Re-read The Beast Arises series and I got some of the new Dark Imperium series stuff (well, newish, they came out in 2017 and 2018 IIRC).

Surtur
But as to the rest of Brief Cases, yeah, some of the stories are older. I'm not sure which all you've read, but just to give you an idea, there are stories revolving around Luccio, Marcone and Butters as well. Molly has two from her POV and, as I said previously, probably the two most relevant to the wider main story in terms of providing further background info. There's even some interesting info regarding Outsiders in Cold Case which also further ties into the wider God/Deity lore provided in Battle Ground. Based on some of the more recent stuff, we're actually only seeing a tiny fraction of what's going on in the Dresden-verse.

I read them. Turns out I'd read all the stories on there except the ones from the perspectives of Lucio, Maggie, Molly, Mouse, and the Harry zoo story. I was familiar with the marcone one and the other ones with bigfoots kid, etc.

I really liked the Mouse story. Really added a new layer to things. Mouse has an evil brother out there now. The stuff with Molly was interesting, poor Ramirez probably thought he was gonna lose his virginity.

Surtur

Well Summer Knight is the 4th book. Cold Days 14th. Death Masks is 5 and Proven Guilty 8.

Ideally you should try to read them in order. A lot happens between Summer Knight and Cold Days.

Surtur
And if people are interested in audio books I think you can find all of them on youtube for free.

James Marsden(Spike from Buffy) voices Harry.

Personally I am not a big audio book fan. The only one of his books I have listened to on audio was Cold Days, and that was after I read it I was curious to give the audio book thing a try.

TheVaultDweller
I read them. Turns out I'd read all the stories on there except the ones from the perspectives of Lucio, Maggie, Molly, Mouse, and the Harry zoo story. I was familiar with the marcone one and the other ones with bigfoots kid, etc.

I really liked the Mouse story. Really added a new layer to things. Mouse has an evil brother out there now. The stuff with Molly was interesting, poor Ramirez probably thought he was gonna lose his virginity.

Yeah, a lot of them are older, but the newer ones are pretty good IMO and, as previously mentioned, expands on the things we normally don't see happening in the universe.

And yeah, but then we knew from the very beginning Mouse wasn't the only one of his kind. But I really like Mouse, so always good to learn more there.

Carlos can't catch a break. Or, more accurately, he keeps catching them. They explain the whole sexual and aggressive urges thing due to Winter needing to both constantly fight and breed in their endless war with the Outsiders. And they also explain why Molly can't indulge on the sexual end. But I think it's also a kind of sink or swim test for the Winter Lady. Because all of the roles and restrictions she has on her puts her through a kind of baptism of fire that forces her to become intimate with Winter and its children but also forces her to face the cold, harsh realities of what she will need to do in the future as well. Because Molly also mentioned in the one novel that the High Sidhe constantly attack her telepathically in her sleep IIRC. So, kind of a super harsh test to see if the Winter Lady can cut it to be the next Winter Queen. And if they can't? Well, as Maeve learned, you can always be replaced. Hell, the telepathic assaults are probably to prevent another Maeve from happening.

But the other really interesting thing was the mention of the Old One, the Sleeper. Because it's mentioned in Dead Beat IIRC that the Outsiders were the servants to the Old Ones. So, I am guessing there are other Old Ones, as in outside our universe masters of the Outsiders, locked up in Demonreach, which is part of the reason they keep trying to break in. Which is also interesting that there are different kinds of "demons/demon lords/gods" both from the Nevernever and from outside the boundaries of the universe. Also wonder how active those Sleeper cults are. Because apparently Lovecraft made it all too easy for them lol.

There also seems to be long history between the gods, angels and archangels, which also would explain if it had been Uriel or one of the others Murphy had been channeling against the Red Court. Because we also see one speak through Butters when he tanked the blast from Gungnir. So, seems they rock up and make their voice heard when older powers/gods act out. Because IIRC, when Michael killed Siriothrax (somehow), the Dragon was building a cult of power under him (which was how Charity was involved), which would probably cause large-scale problems long-term. And there was clear recognition between Ethniu and Namshiel as well, and she also recognised the Blackstaff, which is now pretty much confirmed to be Atropos aka Mother Winter's walking stick, considering the black shadow of the old chrone which formed around him at one point during the battle.

Also, seems Odin is the inverse of what we thought, based on what Gard said. Not he is Odin holding many mantles, but rather the power of Odin split into various smaller mantles, probably so that he doesn't explode reality by manifesting in it, like it was also implied Ferrovax's true form would. Makes me wonder if they have avatars also dicking about on other planets. Because Ethniu pointedly commented on Earth being "one, little planet" during her end conversation with Marcone. Because I always did kind of wonder why Archangels do so little that we see and why they would have the power to unmake galaxies, or why Butcher would describe Dragons as being guardians over portions of the universe, if all the action took place on one planet.

And lastly, on a more humorous note, Jim really does try to drive home that Lacuna is a tooth fairy without explicitly saying it. Hatred of pizza and candy, likes things like celery, all the teeth-related threats of violence etc. Hell, Lacuna is even another, more obscure, term for a cavity lol. Just had that as an afterthought regarding minor characters in Battle Ground.

Surtur
Yeah I liked how God was showing Butters clues in video game terms too. Everything seems to be coming together because there is also the oblivion war too out there. I'm not sure how that connects to all this either, but it seems to connect somehow.

And yeah Molly tells Harry in Skin Game that the sidhe had been attacking her in her dreams. I don't know if it is because she is new or to prevent another Maeve. It's not clear how much of the general population of sidhe know about nemesis.

HulkIsHulk
I just binged the hell out of all Dresden stories
What I love about the Dresden files is that everybody is just dude or a gal. Not uber evil or mega good, just your regular kind after years on the path

Also, did anyone notice, but in Battle Ground Molly got stabbed in the shoulder by the Fomor but she completely ignored it. Should she be really hurt since iron is basically kryptonite for Fae

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
I just binged the hell out of all Dresden stories
What I love about the Dresden files is that everybody is just dude or a gal. Not uber evil or mega good, just your regular kind after years on the path

Also, did anyone notice, but in Battle Ground Molly got stabbed in the shoulder by the Fomor but she completely ignored it. Should she be really hurt since iron is basically kryptonite for Fae

Might be a couple of things. Most obvious one is it was an oversight by Jim, which is a possibility. Alternatively, that particular blade was maybe of some other material, despite the Fomor deploying a lot of iron overall. Or another possibility is, given the weird psycho-sexual thing Winter has going, getting stabbed like that, as long as it isn't a mortal blow, might even be enjoyable to them to a degree. Those Winter folks are a bunch of weird ones. I mean they were basically made for eternal warfare, considering their role in defending the Outer Gates.

And yeah, two of the things I love about the Dresden Files is that Butcher not only created a pretty balanced setting, with rules and reasons that keep things from falling into the DBZ over the top power trap (like too much magic in one place literally breaking reality), but also made a lot of the characters very relatable. Even the more uber characters have elements of depth and humanity to them, or if not that, at least display emotions and things we can relate to.

TheVaultDweller
What I really want to know is just what people see when they soulgaze Dresden. Because nearly every being that has done so, magical or otherwise, have virtually shit their pants after doing so.

HulkIsHulk
Yeah that bugs me too.

TheVaultDweller
If I had to take a guess though, I'd say it's probably something to do with the mark He Who Walks Behind left on Dresden after their first fight, which is also visible via Wizard's Sight. Because most people who don't know his history, or at least have a decent knowledge of Walkers, would probably have no idea what it is. Just this alien, monstrous, otherworldly aspect imprinted on Dresden's psyche. And even those who do know about them would probably freak the hell out from being that close to even that much of an Outsider, considering how dangerous they are, especially the Walkers.

TheVaultDweller

HulkIsHulk
I have another theory
Lucifer hates humanity due their susceptibility to Nemesis and that is why he fell

Plus don't you think its weird that the junkie from Storm Front was able to immediately identify Harry's aura being tainted with He Who Walks Behind and before? Anyone else using the sight despite being experiencee wizards were not that precise is knowing what was what.

Plus Odin is Beowulf. Grendel is one of the forest people. Huh?

And now Jim Butcher said in an interview that Kemmler used to be Warden of Demonreach. Dresden seems to just walk into this doesn't he😂😂🤣🤣

HulkIsHulk
And thinking about that, in the short story Day Off, Mister looked exactly like he looks normally without it, unlike Mouse, or frankly anyone ever
Though it makes me wonder, what if anybody other than Lucio walked in at the end? Lmao it would look like an orgy or something?

TheVaultDweller
I have another theory
Lucifer hates humanity due their susceptibility to Nemesis and that is why he fell

Plus don't you think its weird that the junkie from Storm Front was able to immediately identify Harry's aura being tainted with He Who Walks Behind and before? Anyone else using the sight despite being experiencee wizards were not that precise is knowing what was what.

Plus Odin is Beowulf. Grendel is one of the forest people. Huh?

And now Jim Butcher said in an interview that Kemmler used to be Warden of Demonreach. Dresden seems to just walk into this doesn't he😂😂🤣🤣

Well, yeah, Harry seems to be getting sucked deeper and deeper into that kind of direction but, in his defense, seems the foundations for at least some of it was laid before he was even born by his mother and others. And makes sense considering how powerful Kemmler became.Probably got a bunch of information from all the Big Nasties locked down there.. IIRC, it took the vast majority of the White Council to stop him.

Though on the plus side, once Harry marries Lara he'll have another layer of protection against the White Council as an official member of House Raith. And as long as Thomas is also still locked in Demonreach, you'd better believe that Lara would slaughter as many Wizards as necessary to get the point across. Because as we know, while Wizards can be hell to deal with in a straight fight, there are workarounds to take them out quickly and cleanly, and Lara has a lot of money to pay professional snipers. Of course, that's assuming old Snake Boy's death curse doesn't hit her too.

HulkIsHulk
Harry's Warden file

https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php?topic=19774.0

HulkIsHulk
If I had to take a guess though, I'd say it's probably something to do with the mark He Who Walks Behind left on Dresden after their first fight, which is also visible via Wizard's Sight. Because most people who don't know his history, or at least have a decent knowledge of Walkers, would probably have no idea what it is. Just this alien, monstrous, otherworldly aspect imprinted on Dresden's psyche. And even those who do know about them would probably freak the hell out from being that close to even that much of an Outsider, considering how dangerous they are, especially the Walkers.
This outsider stuff is mentioned in the above file

TheVaultDweller
Harry's Warden file

https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php?topic=19774.0

Man, Harry is never going to live those rumours about him and Thomas down. laughing

TheVaultDweller
That comment about the Archive is kinda scary though. If what we've seen so far is Ivy only tapping into a portion of the full power of the Archive, they better watch out. IIRC, Butcher confirmed that Dresden is pretty much the only person Ivy considers a friend, so I shudder to think what she'd do if she came face to face with someone who tried to kill him.

Granted, she did let Kincaid off the hook, but I don't think lightning will strike twice in that regard.

HulkIsHulk
Man, Harry is never going to live those rumours about him and Thomas down. laughing

Also it shows how Lara is keeping image. Untill recently, Harry is doing stuff for stepdaddy Raith.

It also somewhat answered/confirmed your doubt about the soulgaze

So WC thinks Harry is a fanatic who can kill off Fae Ladies and wipe out bloodlines on his own, and literally has an Archangel as an ally, and could straight up kill a Warden while 16 (though the last part was confirmed in Skin Game), and now has a magical island which used to be Kemmler's

No wonder they are skittish

Though the Uriel part confuses me, since there was no-one who would have told them. Another thing is that how did they know Mab removed his fire magic?
All they would know is that Michael cured him via Luccio

And I can't understand why they think too much into the ghoul incident. If someone hurt innocent kids in my care, I would make them suffer

And the most damning thing is they keep underestimating his smarts. I mean, prejudiced much?

That comment about the Archive is kinda scary though. If what we've seen so far is Ivy only tapping into a portion of the full power of the Archive, they better watch out. IIRC, Butcher confirmed that Dresden is pretty much the only person Ivy considers a friend, so I shudder to think what she'd do if she came face to face with someone who tried to kill him.

Granted, she did let Kincaid off the hook, but I don't think lightning will strike twice in that regard.
Archive has all the recorded knowledge of the world, that is collosal. Plus she's what 18? When she gets to her physical prime its gonna be more uber.

HulkIsHulk
And from what we've seen, I think the one Senior Council member Dresden has to watch out the most is Ancient Mai. She's isvthe pettiest of them all towards him. Atleast Merlin is having a control freak attitude to explain it

TheVaultDweller
Also it shows how Lara is keeping image. Untill recently, Harry is doing stuff for stepdaddy Raith.

It also somewhat answered/confirmed your doubt about the soulgaze

So WC thinks Harry is a fanatic who can kill off Fae Ladies and wipe out bloodlines on his own, and literally has an Archangel as an ally, and could straight up kill a Warden while 16 (though the last part was confirmed in Skin Game), and now has a magical island which used to be Kemmler's

No wonder they are skittish

Though the Uriel part confuses me, since there was no-one who would have told them. Another thing is that how did they know Mab removed his fire magic?
All they would know is that Michael cured him via Luccio

And I can't understand why they think too much into the ghoul incident. If someone hurt innocent kids in my care, I would make them suffer

And the most damning thing is they keep underestimating his smarts. I mean, prejudiced much?

Well, I am assuming that file is compiled through the books and fan interviews and such. Because there are a few other things that seem a bit off. Like the WC should know that Kincaid is more than just a skilled mercenary, considering Ebenezer's history with him.

And part of them underestimating him is probably because they deliberately didn't train him properly. I need to go find the quote again by Butcher, but he said something along the lines of there are still things Harry doesn't properly understand about magic because the people around him were reluctant to teach him, given his mother's history and his relationship with Justin DuMorne etc.

Archive has all the recorded knowledge of the world, that is collosal. Plus she's what 18? When she gets to her physical prime its gonna be more uber.

She should be around that age. I mean she's apparently been able to drive herself around now for a bit, so that would make her at least 16 if she's staying in the US or 17 if it's the UK. So, yeah, she's probably around 18 or so by now.

TheVaultDweller
And from what we've seen, I think the one Senior Council member Dresden has to watch out the most is Ancient Mai. She's isvthe pettiest of them all towards him. Atleast Merlin is having a control freak attitude to explain it

Ancient Mai is a very unknown quantity at this point. And yeah, Langtry is both a control freak and seems to be obsessed with battling any and all forms of black magic with extreme prejudice, so it makes sense that he'd be paranoid of Dresden and his actions, considering some of Harry's ties and relationships.

HulkIsHulk
JB seems to have been setting Harry up for the biggest torture ever.
There is [[spoiler:
* Ursiel - Genowska escaping Hades. There is quite a bit of chance that Hannah - Lasciel escaped too.
* Mavra came back along with her boss trying to kidnap Harry along others.
* Nicodemus is still out there.
* Listen has escaped as usual
* Marcone won't be pleased with him stealing the castle, though it was payback for screwing with his reputation. He's got both his organization and Namshiel
* Svartalves won't be happy to find Thomas missing.
* Cowl and Vittorio won't be pleased that Harry screwed over their genocide of the White Court.
* The LaChaise clan of ghouls is itching for payback
* Demonreach is hiding things from Harry.
* The various White Court vampires he beat up are not going to be happy about the marriage.
* Lucifer will be mad he escaped the murder attempts.
* Nemesis and other Outsiders won't be pleased that he shoved their plans where the sun doesn't shine, again
* Shadow is after Maggie
* White Council members might make things more difficult.
* Murphy's family, especially her mom may blame him for her being missing.
* There is a possibility that that the Red Court's assassin couple Eebs survived the purge due to being in Erlking's prison.
* Some Chicago citizens may not like him either - some like Rudolph blaming him, let alone bastards like Caine and Burt Decker
* The law enforcement outside of SI including Library of Congress may come for him
* Larry Fowler is still sending him lawsuits 🤣😂
* Of course, Erlking still plans to hunt him down one day
* The Fomor and King Corb would want revenge as well
* Evil Bob is out there somewhere in Nevernever
* Shagnasty is still at large, though he might not come back

TheVaultDweller
JB seems to have been setting Harry up for the biggest torture ever.
There is

Well, IIRC, Butcher has joked that he's built his career upon torturing Harry lol.

Moral of the story, snark does not pay.

TheVaultDweller
Though now that I think about it, from a purely financial and property aspect, Harry is not in the worst position after the last few novels. He has a fort/castle. He might as well own Demonreach. He should still have some diamonds stashed, unless I missed something somewhere. He has the backing of Winter and soon likely the financial backing of House Raith. Only L he's taken there is no more Warden salary now that he got booted from the WC. But overall, he should be pretty secure in the financial department.

HulkIsHulk
Actually all Dresden forums are betting on how he is going to lose all that and become even poorer.

And on an unrelated note, I am seriously tired of those online feminists criticizing Jim Butcher of sexist and misogynistic writing.

Harry stares at woman and goes la la la because he is extremely sexually repressed and never had an actual mother figure in his life. Frankly, almost every hero in Dresden files save few have very little romantic or sexual adventures because of work and have inferiority complexes - of course they will stare. Like Murphy who was forced to abandon everything feminine to be taken seriously.

The stuffed into fridge can happen with male characters too and these femnazis wouldn't bat an eye.

Plus no one ever has mentioned that every time Dresden was called chauvinist, while for a joke, was a Straw feminist reaction

TheVaultDweller
Him losing everything again would be kind of silly IMO, as the "Harry is always poor" meme is a bit stale by now as far as I'm concerned.

And, in my experience, the loudest and most obnoxious critics tend to be ones who have the least understanding of the content in question. Anyone who actually reads the novels properly can tell Harry's reaction to women is due to his extremely screwed up upbringing and the resulting mental trauma he suffered. And we even see some of the female characters scope out the guys (like Molly with Carlos) when stories are written from their POV. But that kind of obnoxious ignorance doesn't just count for The Dresden Files. It often tends to be that way in general.

And the fridging criticism is especially stupid. Characters like Thomas get that kind of treatment all the time.

HulkIsHulk
One example of the above mentioned idiots
https://www.fangsforthefantasy.com/2013/07/the-dresden-files-who-isnt-sex-object.html

I mean, they seemed to have read the books with an agenda in mind. Harry has NEVER described Murphy sexually except in a dream. Molly is crushing hard on him and is constantly shown to be displaying herself to him so he notices and feels guilty every time. Elaine, Luccio and Susan are his girlfriends or exes he used to be quite intimate with, so of course he isvgoingbto notice.

TheVaultDweller
One example of the above mentioned idiots
https://www.fangsforthefantasy.com/2013/07/the-dresden-files-who-isnt-sex-object.html

I mean, they seemed to have read the books with an agenda in mind. Harry has NEVER described Murphy sexually except in a dream. Molly is crushing hard on him and is constantly shown to be displaying herself to him so he notices and feels guilty every time. Elaine, Luccio and Susan are his girlfriends or exes he used to be quite intimate with, so of course he isvgoingbto notice.

This kind of thing mostly flies under the radar for me, to be honest. Because it's worth remembering that these voices might be loud, but they're often a very small minority. It's just that the vast majority of people who don't have an issue with it are unlikely to go writing essays or articles about how they don't find something offensive. But you will always get those professional victims who make a living out of acting outraged about things.

Because it goes in both directions, depending on the content. I remember some guys were crying about Mad Max: Fury Road simply because they made Furiosa a better shot than Max lol. And, yes, in that instance they were specifically complaining about the sniping scene.

Surtur
Him losing everything again would be kind of silly IMO, as the "Harry is always poor" meme is a bit stale by now as far as I'm concerned.

And, in my experience, the loudest and most obnoxious critics tend to be ones who have the least understanding of the content in question. Anyone who actually reads the novels properly can tell Harry's reaction to women is due to his extremely screwed up upbringing and the resulting mental trauma he suffered. And we even see some of the female characters scope out the guys (like Molly with Carlos) when stories are written from their POV. But that kind of obnoxious ignorance doesn't just count for The Dresden Files. It often tends to be that way in general.

And the fridging criticism is especially stupid. Characters like Thomas get that kind of treatment all the time.

Harry is now in "take no shit" mode. After all he did, even Carlos turns on him. He should threaten them with the eye as much as possible if they try to f*ck with him.

TheVaultDweller
Harry is now in "take no shit" mode. After all he did, even Carlos turns on him. He should threaten them with the eye as much as possible if they try to f*ck with him.

Well, when even Michael is pushed to go all sailor-mouthed you know whoever it is was seriously out of line.

But the White Council have always been pretty radical in their approach to things. I mean they were going to decapitate a 16-year-old Harry for pretty much defending himself (and would have if not for McCoy stepping up), irrespective of the fact that Justin had kept Harry completely in the dark about the entirety of the rest of the magical community, including the White Council's laws. Then had the biggest dickhead among the Wardens pretty much harass him for the next decade of his life, looking for any excuse to finish the sentence.

HulkIsHulk
https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/dresden-files-dresden-files-poor-trackrecord-with-sexism-racism-and-diversity.727060/

Got another one like above. I mean, diversity is nice, but if a dude needs diversity to enjoy a fictional work, he's a strawman fanatic

HulkIsHulk
And yet another. These idiots atleast admit they aren't so well versed in the lore

https://jagarrett.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/gender-roles-in-urban-fantasy-part-1-the-dresden-files/

Surtur
It's really odd to me they call it sexist because it really always seems Harry is some woman's b*tch lol. Whether it is Lea or Mab.

Maeve was a sex object, that is true. Lea and Mab are not, though yes they are described as beautiful too. All of the humanoid fae are said to have perfect features.

Murphy has saved Dresden more times than I can count.

So talk about selective memory.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.