My idea vs. Greg Pak's - Surfer vs. Sentry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FOOM
My idea vs. Greg Pak's
Surfer vs. Sentry

As I mentioned in another forum, I hate the Sentry character. He was ill-conceived with a weak origin that does really explain the enormity of his power. His formulation messed with the history of Marvel by adding insulting retcons. Eg. The Fantastic For no longer won their first battle against the monsters of the Mole man on their own - foul.

I think Sentry was maintained so that their would be someone
to rival the Hulk for the big showdown conclusion to WW Hulk. ( he was used again to have a big climax to Dark Reign/Seige - but I'm not dealing with that in this thread).

Note that for well established reasons Thor and Silver Surfer were both absent during the World War Hulk storyline. This was not an accidental circumstance but a well-timed plan. Both Surfer and Hulk could have rivaled or, by some opinions, beaten Hulk and ended the situation as Bob did. But as they would not have hesitated, as Bob did, they would have ended the story too early and denied Hulk his vengence.

However, I DON'T THINK SENTRY WAS NECESSARY.
Surfer could have returned in time to have the final showdown with the Hulk.
It could have been Surfer and Hulk burning themselves out in the conclusion instead. Expelling all their energies, Hulk becomes Banner and Surfer becomes plain ol' Norrin Radd.
Some will say, impossible for Surfer to have that happen - too powerful. Okay, plot a simple plot device could be that he has a had a controlling disc placed on him, as happened in Planet Hulk, but as he has had experience with it, he has learned to fight its control to some degree, but it still has a limiting effect on him.

The story concludes similar to before but with two advantages:

1) You have a new storyline for Surfer. Over the next few months he reabsorbs the Power Cosmic from the universe - regaining his power and abilities slowly over the next year or so... in the meantime, he has deal with something he has not experienced in eons - living as normal mortal (I think Surfer forced to live among Earthlings as he regains his power could be a good story with many possibilities).

2) No Sentry

Opinions?
and, of course, feel free to offer a better conclusion.

Bentley
Sentry is better because it puts Hulk above cube being level.

ExodusCloak
Stupid idea. Have Surfer fly in? Why? I much rather keep Cosmic and Earth affairs apart. Your reasoning for Sentry being kept around is incorrect. They could have just as easily had Strange or Blackbolt fight WWH to a standstill if the Sentry never existed. WWH was bad because they it was just plot devicey, having Surfer randomly show up out of the blue would have made it even worse.

And marvel doesn't believe SS can hold an ongoing at the moment.

Bentley
I heard they were planning a Surfer ongoing.

bbrem123
nice ^

FOOM
Perhaps, the ongoing Surfer will involve him being stripped temporarily of Power Cosmic and "over the next few months he reabsorbs the Power Cosmic from the universe - regaining his power and abilities slowly over the next year or so... in the meantime, he has deal with something he has not experienced in eons - living as normal mortal". shifty - big grin

amnesia
Pak should write more Hercules.

Mech_Cool
Sentry was chosen because he was shown to actually calm the Hulk. That is not a retarded origin.

FOOM
No, in fact, that's not an origin at all.

His origin is that he drank a version of the super soldier serum thinking it would get him high and instead received god like powers. He was then retconed into the silver age history of marvel perverting cherished stories.

P.S. I never used the word 'retarded'.

Blanket
I'm not reading anything here, but Surfer wins.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Blanket
I'm not reading anything here, but Surfer wins. Same here.I stand behind bran.

rotiart
Fairly certain I read somewhere that world war hulks power was supposed to rival skyfathers.. That being true... They needed someone to take on hulk... A earthbound threat...

Surfer was busy surfing th cosmos preparing for the annihilation arc... Which IMO was better than the wwh arc... But eh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.