The Definitive Screen Joker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
Who, or what, in your opinion makes the definitive Joker? To my knowledge, there have been four potrayals of the character by Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger.

I feel each character has a distinct edge. Being part of tv series' Romero and Hamill have far more appearances as the character, especially Hamill when you factor in all of the crossovers, DTV films, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I think it's obvious that Hamill's potrayal in the video game has been the closest to the comic book character. But there have been various interpretaions of the character in the books, just like there have been in the television and movie adaptions.

How do you feel these four actors rank? What makes a great Joker? Who's approach do you like the most? Which potrayal's look did you like the most?

My Opinion
1.Mark Hamill
2.Heath Ledger
3.Cesar Romero
4.Jack Nicholson

I'll weigh in on the reasons after I hear some of yours.

SamZED
heath ledger. As much as i like mark's voice, in the batman tas joker sometimes was pathetic.

SnakeEyes
Ledger's my favorite/the best in my opinion, with Hamill as second. Ledger brought the character to life and really blew me away with his portrayal. I still remember how impressed I was the first time I saw TDK in theaters. Ledger got better monologues than Hamill did as TAS Joker, he was far, far creepier, it was a fuller performance. Hamill does awesome, consistent voicework, but voice actors are limited - Heath Ledger inhabited the role physically and mentally and gave us a one-of-a-kind performance. Looks badass too.

Darth Martin
Batman: Arkham Asylum Joker looks far more creepier than Ledger's Joker.

SnakeEyes
Eh, that's debatable. To me, the context of Nolan's semi-realistic world makes Ledger's Joker's appearance creepier. You can imagine actually running into that version and shitting your pants or something. The AA Joker looks creepy for sure, but just the fact that he's computer-generated kind of detracts from the overall creepiness imo.

Darth Martin
If you ran into AA Joker in reality you would shit your drawers.

W73_hcyc6Dg

Badabing
Ledger did better than I thought he would as Joker. I wasn't happy about him just being a scarred guy in makeup though. I did like the lines "I'm like a dog chasing a car." And "I just do." Plus the magic trick scene screamed Joker to me. I think Ledger did an admirable job of a different take on Joker.

Hamill does a fine voice for Joker. To me, he's the most atypical version. Has both the "campiness" of Romero and the psycho killer aspect of the comics.

Nicholson seemed to capture the "brilliant psycho" persona of Joker imo.

Romero's Joker was the most fun imo. Nothing like a campy version for laughs.

Bouboumaster
I like them all equally, but Romano.

Nicholson was BRILLANT, and so was Ledger. Hamill is a classic.

SnakeEyes
Nicholson was too "Jack Nicholson" and not enough "Joker."

BruceSkywalker
best Joker is Ledger, Jack being second..

Hamill does the voice very well

Darth Martin
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Nicholson was too "Jack Nicholson" and not enough "Joker." He missed the boat. I watched the movie in its entirety last night and he is way over the top and goes on far too long with his act. Contrary to popular belief, I think Batman upstaged Joker in that film.

Then I watched Mask of the Phantasm right after it. Hamill is brilliant as the Joker. He nailed the part in this film. Watch below at 3:11

pOiEZVy5c1k

uniqueweasel
I think they all do a good job in fitting in with their individual takes on Gotham and intergrating into that. I prefer Heaths Joker, in particular the fact there is no back story to how he came to be creates more of a mystique. Just my opinion.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Who, or what, in your opinion makes the definitive Joker? To my knowledge, there have been four potrayals of the character by Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger.

I feel each character has a distinct edge. Being part of tv series' Romero and Hamill have far more appearances as the character, especially Hamill when you factor in all of the crossovers, DTV films, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I think it's obvious that Hamill's potrayal in the video game has been the closest to the comic book character. But there have been various interpretaions of the character in the books, just like there have been in the television and movie adaptions.

How do you feel these four actors rank? What makes a great Joker? Who's approach do you like the most? Which potrayal's look did you like the most?

My Opinion
1.Mark Hamill
2.Heath Ledger
3.Cesar Romero
4.Jack Nicholson

I'll weigh in on the reasons after I hear some of yours.

My list is almost exactly like yours.Only Difference is I have is I put Romero at #2 and Ledger at # 3.Will give my reasons later.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Badabing
Ledger did better than I thought he would as Joker. I wasn't happy about him just being a scarred guy in makeup though. I did like the lines "I'm like a dog chasing a car." And "I just do." Plus the magic trick scene screamed Joker to me. I think Ledger did an admirable job of a different take on Joker.

Hamill does a fine voice for Joker. To me, he's the most atypical version. Has both the "campiness" of Romero and the psycho killer aspect of the comics.

Nicholson seemed to capture the "brilliant psycho" persona of Joker imo.

Romero's Joker was the most fun imo. Nothing like a campy version for laughs.

thumb up

My list:

Hamill
Nicholson
Ledger
Romero

While you can argue (quite well) that Ledger's was the better performance, i prefer the kind of Joker Nicholson was, so he gets the vote from me.

Dr Mystery
As awesome and terrifying and as mysterious as Heath's Joker was, Romero gets my vote.

Bat Dude
A fusion of all 4:

-Hamil's laugh
-Romero's build
-Jack's origin
-Ledger's personality

And this costume:
http://www.joeacevedo.com/images/customzone/customcon/ironcow2008/joker1.jpg

Dr Mystery
I have a Joker figure like that but the trenchcoat and hat are grey (gray for my U.S. peeps), makes him look like a P.I.
Also I thought Jack's origin story was shit.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Dr Mystery
I have a Joker figure like that but the trenchcoat and hat are grey (gray for my U.S. peeps), makes him look like a P.I.
Also I thought Jack's origin story was shit.

I just love the idea of the Joker being a former gangster/hitman.

Alpha-7
I can't seperate Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger.

freakybinx
jack and mark ftw

GGS
Mark Hamill

Bloinky
I prefer Mark Hamill over all due to his voice in the DCUA and along with Arkham Asylum.

Number 2, would then be of course Heath Ledger on how he really brought the Joker to life in the live action movies.

Then of course you guys probably won't like what I'm about to say but I would prefer any other joker after these two, besides JACK NICHOLSON.
My reason why is because it seemed like just another movie roll of him just asking as of course Jack Nicholson......He didn't bring any feel to the character at all and I found him rather boring. Even though the long hand gun he pulls out of his pants was entertaining. I just can see any of the other Jokers pulling that off even better.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Bloinky
I prefer Mark Hamill over all due to his voice in the DCUA and along with Arkham Asylum.

Number 2, would then be of course Heath Ledger on how he really brought the Joker to life in the live action movies.

Then of course you guys probably won't like what I'm about to say but I would prefer any other joker after these two, besides JACK NICHOLSON.
My reason why is because it seemed like just another movie roll of him just asking as of course Jack Nicholson......He didn't bring any feel to the character at all and I found him rather boring. Even though the long hand gun he pulls out of his pants was entertaining. I just can see any of the other Jokers pulling that off even better.
Agreed. Nicholson's version was a lot more Jack Nicholson than it was Joker himself.

Grog_Burton
depends how old you are

Davis Bloome
If Mark Hamil's were live action, he'd get my vote, but I'm going with Heath Ledger on this one. His interpretation of the character just has every single characteristic I've wanted the Joker to have on the big screen.

spidermanrocks
1. Mark Hamill
2. Heath Ledger
3. Jack Nicholson
4. Cesar Romero

Doc Ock
It's gotta' be Heath Ledger.

As much as I love Mark Hamill's voice, he is just that, a voice. He is not physically bringing the character to life with his own body.

Jack Nicholson was just generic Jack from movies like The Shining and the Witches of Eastwick. You knew you were watching Jack in a purple suit and make up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.