Magneto vs Nova Prime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
The arena gets flooded with magnetic energy.

Who wins?

celeyhyga17
Nova Prime.

Mshinu
With the amp, clearly Mags.
Without it, a good fight.

Prep-Man
Nova.

Warlord
Originally posted by Mshinu
With the amp, clearly Mags.
Without it, a good fight.

what amp?

Mshinu
Originally posted by Warlord
what amp?

Flooding the area with magnetic energy as the OP states.

Warlord
the earth is flooded with magnetic energy....I don't think it's an amp. the OP just wants magneto to operate as usual...at least that's what I think

Mshinu
the earth is flooded with magnetic energy....I don't think it's an amp. the OP just wants magneto to operate as usual...at least that's what I think

Why would he have to state anything if he just wants him to operate as usual? It is not like you have to specify there is breathable air present or that normal physics apply.

Anyway, I already stated my opinion if it is not an amp.

dmills
I'm leaning towards Nova, although Mags presents an interesting challenge due to his powerset. Also, the WM was shown to be vulnerable to large quantities of EM rays. Hmm, I gotta think on this one...

Black bolt z
^ What he said.

cdtm
Why would he have to state anything if he just wants him to operate as usual? It is not like you have to specify there is breathable air present or that normal physics apply.

Anyway, I already stated my opinion if it is not an amp.

It's supposed to be an amp.

I wanted Mags at his best for this, since he's facing a high herald level character.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by cdtm
It's supposed to be an amp.

I wanted Mags at his best for this, since he's facing a high herald level character.

Magneto is a high herald level character as well.

Magneto has held his own and gone toe to toe with the same Phoenix that a few issues before was beating Firelord's ass and Firelord directly compared her power to Thor.

Is this full power Magneto being amped or current weakened Magneto being amped?

cdtm
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Magneto is a high herald level character as well.

Magneto has held his own and gone toe to toe with the same Phoenix that a few issues before was beating Firelord's ass and Firelord directly compared her power to Thor.

Is this full power Magneto being amped or current weakened Magneto being amped?

Full power.

If he doesn't need amping to hang with a character on Nova's level, by all means disregard the amp. I just wanted a fair fight. big grin

Rage.Of.Olympus
Full power.

If he doesn't need amping to hang with a character on Nova's level, by all means disregard the amp. I just wanted a fair fight. big grin

Cool.

Magneto wins. Good enough fight I guess.

Throw in the amp and he simply takes it easier.

dmills
How can these two hurt each other with the type of shielding they're packing?

Black bolt z
^ With an area flooded with magnetic energy I see mags shields being stronger.

celeyhyga17
Mags might present some initial problem even for Nova Prime. But can he hope to defeat a guy who has the ability to draw on the full power of the nova force? Dunno about that. If anything, Mags will tire out first. It may be a stalemate for some time, but remember Mags still has human stamina and durability. He ain't out lasting a guy who has class 100 str, dur, stam, etc. Plus add in Worldmind doing some insane calculations to phuck with Mag's magnetic abilities. Nova Prime should take the slight majority.

6.5/10

dmills
^^^ That's true. And Nova will be far faster then any one Mags has faced before.

Mshinu
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
It may be a stalemate for some time, but remember Mags still has human stamina and durability.

Hell no. Visit the respect thread and try again.

celeyhyga17

So he's more durable and has more stamina than Nova Prime?

axelraptor
Nova 6.5/10

dmills
So he's more durable and has more stamina than Nova Prime? No. And anyone that tries to argue that is, well you know...

Warlord
Mags due to better energy manipulation

Mshinu
So he's more durable and has more stamina than Nova Prime?

Moron, nobody said that.

This on the other hand is very untrue and shows you know little about him. For example Mags has taken several direct hits from Colossus with with little damage to show for it.

dmills
Mags due to better energy manipulation Explain this.

Stoic
I have to go with Magneto on this one. One poster stated that magnetism is far greater than gravity, and in terms of manipulating matter I think Magneto has a larger reach.

abhilegend
Erik wins.

carver9
Mags wins this. I don't give to many Heralds the majority against a full powered Magneto.

dmills
Dear lord.

JakeTheBank
Nova.

Erik makes it look good, though.

smh @ Carver as usual.

"Id"
Full Power Magneto? What is this?

Anyhow Nova Prime vs Fatal Attractions Magneto. I give Nova the better odds.

Mindset
Originally posted by dmills
Dear lord. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63n05CI6G1r3ajejo1_400.gif

quab
Nova should be able to take on Magneto and win. Nova has Worldmind, which will tell him to take off Mags helmet, and allow Nova to telepathically knock Mags out.

Nihilist
Nova wins

Magneto gets way too much credit

dmills
I'm glad to see a resurgence of Nova Prime threads! Must be the Marvel Now announcement eek!

celeyhyga17

Wow! This thread is from 2010. Nova still wins. Checked Mag's respect thread again. He is a powerhouse, I'll give you that. Some great feats in there. Nova force is just too much for him though. A guy that has the power to manipulate the gravity of a neutron star at a severely weakened state fer cryin out loud should out last Mags.

big grin

CosmicComet
Nova.

His 'space cheese' feats put him on a level far above this dirty ass mutant.

Not to mention, he'll speed blitz the **** out of this geriatric piece of shit.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Nova.

His 'space cheese' feats put him on a level far above this dirty ass mutant.

Not to mention, he'll speed blitz the **** out of this geriatric piece of shit.

"dirty ass mutant"
"geriatric piece of shit"

Wow!

JakeTheBank
I must say, Comet's mutant hating comments are hilarious.

Magneto is cool, though.

CosmicComet
Magneto is scum

Mshinu
Yep magneto is cool. And he got character. There is a reason he is consistently ranked #1 on so many top villain lists.

dmills
This fight has got to happen on panel someday.

Mindset
Magneto crushes his head.

CosmicComet
On panel, it would be a good fight.

On paper, it should be a complete stomp.

Control of gravitational forces is a greater power to have, simply put. Magnetism decreases in effect at a much quicker rate at equal distances when compared to Gravity, not to mention Magnetism requires a more specific set of factors in application.

Nova has the power type advantage. He has greater strength and durability. And he's far too fast for Mag's ***** ass to keep track of.

Nova is one of the worst match ups out there for this festering refuse of humanity.

Mindset
Shield.

Penis punch.

Head crush.

Mags 10/10

celeyhyga17
I'm leaning towards Nova, although Mags presents an interesting challenge due to his powerset. Also, the WM was shown to be vulnerable to large quantities of EM rays. Hmm, I gotta think on this one...
Are you referring to the time Galactus' feeding of Orbucen caused a huge electromagnetic disruption field? I know it prevented Richie from creating any stargates, but pretty much all his abilities were intact. IIRC, in one of Nova 0.0's very hands on approach training sessions with Rich, he used a sort of electromagnetic static blast that knocked Rider 25 miles from the nyc.
This fight has got to happen on panel someday.
Yep.

Stoic
On panel, it would be a good fight.

On paper, it should be a complete stomp.

Control of gravitational forces is a greater power to have, simply put. Magnetism decreases in effect at a much quicker rate at equal distances when compared to Gravity, not to mention Magnetism requires a more specific set of factors in application.

Nova has the power type advantage. He has greater strength and durability. And he's far too fast for Mag's ***** ass to keep track of.

Nova is one of the worst match ups out there for this festering refuse of humanity.

You should rethink your entire post. It is magnetism that is the greater force. Someone may come in and tell you all about it.

CosmicComet
And that person would be wrong.

Gravity's potential is immensely superior (e.g. black holes?) and increases in potency at a much quicker rate and decreases in effect at a much slower rate over a distance than electromagnetism does.

The greater the mass and lesser the distance, the more you see how quickly gravity's effect swells.

Stoic

Gravity's potential is immensely superior (e.g. black holes?) and increases in potency at a much quicker rate and decreases in effect at a much slower rate over a distance than electromagnetism does.

The greater the mass and lesser the distance, the more you see how quickly gravity's effect swells.

Perhaps you should speak to a physicist. They may change your mind rather quickly.

Mindset
Magneto doesn't give a phuck about gravity.

DarkSaint85
Cosmic is right.

JakeTheBank
8VvyPD02UJU

wtf lmao

Mindset
Gravity Squeeze.

Word.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Stoic
You should rethink your entire post. It is magnetism that is the greater force. Someone may come in and tell you all about it.

I remember in my physics class, on earth magnetism can be very strong. Gravity is quite weak on the other hand. However, it does have greater potential when we're talking about larger celestial bodies beyond earth. It doesn't really matter for this fight even if it takes place on earth because Nova can manipulate the force of gravity itself just like Mags can manipulate magnetism. It's whoever has the stronger ability in manipulation in the end. Even though magnetism is probably easier to manipulate here on earth as opposed to gravity's relatively weak base force, I'm betting on the Nova force because of it's near limitless power well. I think my head hurts now...

Mindset
Magneto can manipulate gravity.

dmills
Are you referring to the time Galactus' feeding of Orbucen caused a huge electromagnetic disruption field? I know it prevented Richie from creating any stargates, but pretty much all his abilities were intact. IIRC, in one of Nova 0.0's very hands on approach training sessions with Rich, he used a sort of electromagnetic static blast that knocked Rider 25 miles from the nyc.

Yep.

Yessir. It wiped out the WM or caused him to have to reboot. But yeah you're right. Nova's main abilities were in tact and the back up system came online as well.

Yep. 0.0 used electromagnetic energies to halt Richie in relation to Earth's rotation causing him to be effortlessly blasted far away. Similar to a car slamming into a fixed object which causes the passenger to go flying through the windshield. At 52 mph eek!

celeyhyga17
Yessir. It wiped out the WM or caused him to have to reboot. But yeah you're right. Nova's main abilities were in tact and the back up system came online as well.

Yep. 0.0 used electromagnetic energies to halt Richie in relation to Earth's rotation causing him to be effortlessly blasted far away. Similar to a car slamming into a fixed object which causes the passenger to go flying through the windshield. At 52 mph eek!

I just looked it over. It wasn't the electromagnetic field Big G was causing that messed up WM, WM was knocked offline when Richie was crazy enough to enter one of Galactus' energy syphons. Nova did attribute his inability to create a stable enough stargate from the electromagnetic field right before he entered the syphon.

dmills
I just looked it over. It wasn't the electromagnetic field Big G was causing that messed up WM, WM was knocked offline when Richie was crazy enough to enter one of Galactus' energy syphons. Nova did attribute his inability to create a stable enough stargate from the electromagnetic field right before he entered the syphon.

Ahh so only the stargate was affected (which makes no sense from a physics standpoint). So mags chances are a bit worse than I thought.

CosmicComet
I remember in my physics class, on earth magnetism can be very strong. Gravity is quite weak on the other hand. However, it does have greater potential when we're talking about larger celestial bodies beyond earth. It doesn't really matter for this fight even if it takes place on earth because Nova can manipulate the force of gravity itself just like Mags can manipulate magnetism. It's whoever has the stronger ability in manipulation in the end. Even though magnetism is probably easier to manipulate here on earth as opposed to gravity's relatively weak base force, I'm betting on the Nova force because of it's near limitless power well. I think my head hurts now...

Take a palm sized magnet and try to pull back a dropped paper clip with it. You will succeed.

Now, say you drop a battleship, and try to pull it back from hitting the ground using the strongest continuous magnet in the world. Will it succeed? Hell no.

Mindset
The gravitational pull of Earth is stronger than any magnet we have.

I don't see how that is supposed to prove your point.

celeyhyga17
Take a palm sized magnet and try to pull back a dropped paper clip with it. You will succeed.

Now, say you drop a battleship, and try to pull it back from hitting the ground using the strongest continuous magnet in the world. Will it succeed? Hell no.

well of course u can't move a battleship just like that. duh..

u can feel the force of magnetism because it's obvious. lift a paperclip from the ground. feels as if there's no force. but it's obvious the pull of gravity because it stay's in one spot on the ground. now take a relatively weak magnet and place it on the ground. put a paperclip right over it. you can actually feel the force of magnetism. hey, I ain't going against my physics professor. it's troo gravity has greater potential when it involves objects with large masses.

CosmicComet
The point is simple.

One can't say magnetism is stronger than earth's field of gravity with the first example since the magnet will succeed in pulling in the paper clip, (as many people try to do), when the second example contradicts it entirely using the exact same gravitational field.

The point is what I said before, gravity's effect increases with greater mass, and at an extremely large rate; greater than magnetism's, and its pull stays consistent for a much longer distance than magnetism does.

Gravity > Magnetism. The scale doesn't have to get anywhere near 'celestial bodies' to prove that point.

Nova feats of gravity > Magneto's feats of magnetism.

Mindset
Shut up, man.

Magneto wins.

CosmicComet
Magneto is bytch made.

And he was born a damn dirty mutie to boot.

celeyhyga17
The point is simple.

One can't say magnetism is stronger than earth's field of gravity with the first example since the magnet will succeed in pulling in the paper clip, (as many people try to do), when the second example contradicts it entirely using the exact same gravitational field.

The point is what I said before, gravity's effect increases with greater mass, and at an extremely large rate; greater than magnetism's, and its pull stays consistent for a much longer distance than magnetism does.

Gravity > Magnetism. The scale doesn't have to get anywhere near 'celestial bodies' to prove that point.

Nova feats of gravity > Magneto's feats of magnetism.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/magnetism-vs-gravity.html

CosmicComet
Thanks for producing an article that says exactly what I did, that gravity becomes greater with greater mass and magnetism's effect is more obvious only at smaller scales.

celeyhyga17
Thanks for producing an article that says exactly what I did, that gravity becomes greater with greater mass and magnetism's effect is more obvious only at smaller scales.

I was trying to point out that magnetism is still relatively stronger than gravity as pointed out in paragraph 11 or 12. I just remembered what my physics prof gave as an example. Take a paperclip and drop it on the ground. It's clear there is gravitational force since the paperclip falls to the ground. Now take a relatively small magnet like a refrigerator magnet and place it over the paperclip. Guess what? The magnetic force produced by that small magnet will pull that clip off of the ground. In that little example of tug of war, the small ass magnet outshines the gravitational pull of the earth.

DarkSaint85

Magnetism decreases in effect at a much quicker rate at equal distances when compared to Gravity

Mshinu
Originally posted by Mindset
Magneto can manipulate gravity.

Yep.

celeyhyga17
^Nova still takes it

cool

Estacado
Well Erik can manipulate gravity on solar system scale...313

Mshinu
Magnetism decreases in effect at a much quicker rate at equal distances when compared to Gravity

But Magneto defies this rule as he is able do things like drawing on magnetic power from stars outside our solar system. His range is.. incredible. As also shown with the planet killer bullet feat.

Heck Magneto was even analyzed on Nat Geo (or was it discovery) and it was remarked that his power would not work in the real world because of this. So either comics physics are different (duh) or he cheats somehow.

CosmicComet
It doesn't matter, as I said, I was speaking from both points of view.

Magnetism is not as potent as Gravity. And within comics, Magneto's 'space cheese' feats are not on the level of Nova's.

Nova's shields give Magneto's a run for his money, not to mention he's a lot stronger, more naturally durable, and too fast for Magneto to keep track of.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Estacado
Well Erik can manipulate gravity on solar system scale...313

Can u elaborate on this statement?

Estacado
edit.

carver9
It doesn't matter, as I said, I was speaking from both points of view.

Magnetism is not as potent as Gravity. And within comics, Magneto's 'space cheese' feats are not on the level of Nova's.

Nova's shields give Magneto's a run for his money, not to mention he's a lot stronger, more naturally durable, and too fast for Magneto to keep track of.

Magneto is a legit team wrecker. Battles is more important than space cheese fts.

Harbinger
It'd be a hell of a fight in a comic.

Given his sheer power output, I'd take Nova here. Slight majority, 6-7/10.

dmills
@Carver,

Every herald leveler can be a team wrecker. Hell even Moonstone phucked up a team of X-men.

Yo celly, do you still have those Moonstone vs Rogue and various Xmen scans?

carver9
Every herald leveler can be a team wrecker. Hell even Moonstone phucked up a team of X-men.

Yo celly, do you still have those Moonstone vs Rogue and various Xmen scans?

So every Herald can be a team wrecker with a team of Heralds on it and consistently at that. Magneto fought the Avengers more than once, a team with Thor and Ironman on it and he was winning.

cdtm
Compressed gravimetric pulse is pretty op.

Moonstone had more raw power, but Richard one shot her with that trick.

Wonder if Mags shields would be able to stop it?

dmills
Originally posted by carver9
So every Herald can be a team wrecker with a team of Heralds on it and consistently at that. Magneto fought the Avengers more than once, a team with Thor and Ironman on it and he was winning.

Magneto much like graviton has a very difficult powerset to match up with. High level manipulation of a fundamental force of physics.

celeyhyga17
@dmills
I don't think I have those scans.

Compressed gravimetric pulse is pretty op.

Moonstone had more raw power, but Richard one shot her with that trick.

Wonder if Mags shields would be able to stop it?

She does not have more raw power. He pretty much was holding back the whole time, but ended it quickly when he realized she could not be reasoned with. What was impressive was him able to one shot her easily even though she increased his gravity 170x...

dmills
@dmills

She does not have more raw power. He pretty much was holding back the whole time, but ended it quickly when he realized she could not be reasoned with. What was impressive was him able to one shot her easily even though she increased his gravity 170x...

You posted them in that Nova vs Supergirl thread a long while back.

Yep. He also casually dealt with her when he fought the Thunderbolts.

cdtm
@dmills

Seemed like she was shrugging off his main blasts though...

Either way, the concept of an ultra compressed "gravity bullet" sounds like something that would ko just about anyone.

celeyhyga17
Seemed like she was shrugging off his main blasts though...

Either way, the concept of an ultra compressed "gravity bullet" sounds like something that would ko just about anyone.

He was trying to talk her out of the fight the whole time. Looked to me whatever attack he used was just to slow her down or get her attention. Mid fight he even say "we don't have to do this". While blasting her one time, he was actually telling her "youre being controlled... Listen to me"

Stoic
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Cosmic is right.

There was a Graviton vs Magneto thread, and I was corrected by someone more knowledgeable of these things than I was. The discussion ended with magneto being the stronger of the two based on magnetism VS gravity.

dmills
Let's get into the meat of this battle. What does mags have working in his favor in this battle? What does Nova? How do they counter each others shields?

TheGodKiller
The gravitational force is the weakest of the four fundamental forces . It merely has the greatest range of all four .

Between 2 bodies , with each having a numerically equal mass(kg) and charge(coulomb) , the electromagnetic force is orders of magnitude larger than the gravitational force .

For eg . between two electrons , the electromagnetic force(of repulsion) is 10^42 times higher than the gravitational force(of attraction) . Between two protons , the difference is 10^36 .

Electromagnetism wins by default .

dmills
All that this line of argument does is muddy the waters.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
The gravitational force is the weakest of the four fundamental forces . It merely has the greatest range of all four .

Between 2 bodies , with each having a numerically equal mass(kg) and charge(coulomb) , the electromagnetic force is orders of magnitude larger than the gravitational force . I'd also like to add their physical capacity to carry such a load when manipulating these forces.

For eg . between two electrons , the electromagnetic force(of repulsion) is 10^42 times higher than the gravitational force(of attraction) . Between two protons , the difference is 10^36 .

Electromagnetism wins by default .

Yep.. Real world physicswise, you've explained what I was trying to say the whole time. When it comes to this fight, it doesn't matter as much. Talking about powerwise, it really comes down to how much these 2 can manipulate their respective fundamental forces and the amount of power they can draw upon.

TheGodKiller
Merely adding my two cents to the electromagnetism VS gravitation argument which was raised in this thread .

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Merely adding my two cents to the electromagnetism VS gravitation argument which was raised in this thread .

Yep. Thank you for it btw. To add to my previous post, their physical ability to control/manipulate such tremendous forces should also be put into question.

dmills
I still think the nodes will filter out Magneto's power.

TheGodKiller
Yep. Thank you for it btw. To add to my previous post, their physical ability to control/manipulate such tremendous forces should also be put into question.

I was actually responding to dmills , but yeah , you're right , in a forum fight , it comes down to how well the characters are able use their respective ability .

basilisk
Yep.. Real world physicswise, you've explained what I was trying to say the whole time. When it comes to this fight, it doesn't matter as much. Talking about powerwise, it really comes down to how much these 2 can manipulate their respective fundamental forces and the amount of power they can draw upon. Yeah even as far as real world goes, despite the stronger and weaker forces, strong enough gravity does affect electromagnetic fields. On the other hand electromagnetism can work against gravity, like picking something up/levitating with a magnet, but I don't think it actually affects the gravitational force directly unlike the other way around.

For example in comic physics Graviton has been shown wield gravity powerful enough to manipulate, block, and overcome various forms of electromagnetism. He has dissipated electromagnetic fields using gravity, stating that he can disrupt the cohesion of electromagnetism (he is a comic book physicist, so he knows that).

I don't think Nova Prime has Graviton-level abilities but his gravity powers should be of some help.

dmills
Originally posted by basilisk
Yeah even as far as real world goes, despite the stronger and weaker forces, strong enough gravity does affect electromagnetic fields. On the other hand electromagnetism can work against gravity, like picking something up/levitating with a magnet, but I don't think it actually affects the gravitational force directly unlike the other way around.

For example in comic physics Graviton has been shown wield gravity powerful enough to manipulate, block, and overcome various forms of electromagnetism. He has dissipated electromagnetic fields using gravity, stating that he can disrupt the cohesion of electromagnetism (he is a comic book physicist, so he knows that).

I don't think Nova Prime has Graviton-level abilities but his gravity powers should be of some help.

Just to piggy back on what you said with some comic examples. One stargate in a planet's atmosphere is enough to wreck the electromagnetic field around the planet or so it goes. Also when Ego was in close proximity to Earth all hell started to break lose with freak electromagnetic storms until the worldmind (who uses a portion of Nova's power btw) put up a gravity buffer between the two planets. Reed thought he had suspended the laws of physics lol.

One time there was an incident where Nova became enraged and the backlash from his gravimetric energy blew out Reed's computers/equipment similar to how an EMP would.

In another issue Supernova stated that if he forcefully removed Nova's power then said power would obliterate Earth's electromagnetic field effectively crippling the planet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.