The Official RPG Maker Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LLLLLink
http://www.instructables.com/image/FSS8APEG2HE0BTC/Create-a-video-game-with-RPG-Maker-XP.jpg

Ok, if you have RPG Maker (VX, XP, etc.) then this is the place that you can show your work. It would also be convenient for people who need help with scripting or any other questions that might arise. All I ask is that you don't break any copyright rules or do anything else that could get you in trouble.

Xiraphen
RPG Maker's good shit. Don't think I'm ever going to come close to finishing the project I'm currently working on though (Ages of Omniverseria).

LLLLLink
Yeah, I'm working on a fan-pokemon title as well as a remake of Dragon Warrior 3. I'll try to get around to showing some pics.

Bro SMASH
I wanted an RPG Maker but that was some years. I was planning on making a Midway x Capcom (similar to Namco x Capcom).

But now I'm just thinking about making a Smash Bros. x Kingdom Hearts RPG.

LLLLLink
Alright, here are some pics of the starting towns for my games.

Poke'mon: Project X (for lack of a title) Starting Town:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/LLLLLink/Town.jpg

This is a remake of the town 'Aliahan' from Dragon Warrior 3:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/LLLLLink/Aliahan.jpg

Monolith Soft
Pretty nice environments, that's actually an area I'm pretty weak on. I usually try to do way too much and it all ends up looking a bit overwrought.

Heythere,Honey
So that's how they do it. no expression

LLLLLink
Originally posted by Monolith Soft
Pretty nice environments, that's actually an area I'm pretty weak on. I usually try to do way too much and it all ends up looking a bit overwrought.

Thanks, and I know exactly what you mean. I had to re-do that pokemon town like 3 times before I got it to look not so congested.

Also, I decided to go with a rich kid whose dad owns a major corp. for the protagonist. I felt like going with the new kid in a small town was to cliche, and decided that I want to see how a story based on a guy like Steven Stone from R/S/E might play out. I will post a pic of the corp later. The north exit in the town leads there.

NemeBro
So.

Wtf is RPG Maker now?

LLLLLink
Originally posted by NemeBro

Wtf is RPG Maker now?

Are you asking what is RPG Maker in general, or are you asking which version is current? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe I can fill in some gaps.

NemeBro
General.

First time I havce heard of it.

LLLLLink
Originally posted by NemeBro
General.

First time I havce heard of it.

RPG Maker is a computer program (also available for PS2) that allows you to create you own RPG game. This includes stuff like creating every map, creating the characters, customizing their looks, stats, weapons, classes, magicks, etc. The storyline, cutscenes and all that jazz are in your full control as well, especially through use of scripting with Ruby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Maker

Making the maps is easy enough to figure out, but I don't really know enough about scripting to build my own unique battle system yet. It's worth getting if you have an idea for a game.

Bro SMASH
What is the best RPG Maker version?

LLLLLink
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
What is the best RPG Maker version?

I have no idea, but the one that I am using for the pics you saw is RPG Maker XP.
You need to download "kits" if you want to have the resources to make pokemon games, Golden Sun, etc. But it's ready to use when you get it.

Bro SMASH
When I see RPG Maker XP gameplay or screenshots, whenever there's a battle going on, I usually see character artworks representing the characters instead of character sprites. Is there a way you can use character sprites for battles instead of character artwork?

LLLLLink
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
When I see RPG Maker XP gameplay or screenshots, whenever there's a battle going on, I usually see character artworks representing the characters instead of character sprites. Is there a way you can use character sprites for battles instead of character artwork?

Yeah, you can. I think it requires some scripting to change the battle system, though. Let's say you want to have a battle system more like Final Fantasy and less like Dragon Warrior. You can either:

A) Script your own, or

B) Download the Final Fantasy RPG Maker kit (I'm sure there is one somewhere if you search)

I downloaded the pokemon starter kit, and it already had the pokemon battle system scripted, so I would suggest searching for a kit if you don't know Ruby scripting yet (I don't). I also saw a Golden Sun kit once, too.

Bro SMASH
Okay. I hope to one day get an RPG Maker. I want to make it play somewhat like Super Mario RPG.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.