Devil

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shokosugi
The embattled auteur and "Last Airbender" director is getting jeers rather than cheers for "Devil," the latest sci-fi effort to bear his name. A YouTube video posted by Perez Hilton this week showed audience members laughing out loud at the trailer during a screening of "Inception." The offending moment came when audiences caught a glimpse of the words "From the Mind of M. Night Shyamalan."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2010/07/20/2010-07- 20_m_night_shyamalans_devil_trailer_gets_big_laugh
s_at_inception_screenings.html

M. Night Shyamalamadingdong is a JOKE! laughing

Mr Parker
Originally posted by shokosugi
The embattled auteur and "Last Airbender" director is getting jeers rather than cheers for "Devil," the latest sci-fi effort to bear his name. A YouTube video posted by Perez Hilton this week showed audience members laughing out loud at the trailer during a screening of "Inception." The offending moment came when audiences caught a glimpse of the words "From the Mind of M. Night Shyamalan."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2010/07/20/2010-07- 20_m_night_shyamalans_devil_trailer_gets_big_laugh
s_at_inception_screenings.html

M. Night Shyamalamadingdong is a JOKE! laughing

you can say THAT again.I've given up on him as a director.I have given him too many chances to make a good movie and he has failed everytime.I will never see another one of his films again.How that idiot ever got to be a filmmaker is beyond me.

Robtard
Devil does look lame.

Having said that, M. Night still has several great to good movies under his belt. Unfortunately, it does seem like he's peaked.

SnakeEyes
Pretty sure he's producing this movie, he didn't direct it at least.

Anyway, I heard about this a while ago, people laughing when they saw his name. I think M. Night's own ego is responsible for his current downfall. If you watch interviews with him, it's like he can't comprehend why someone wouldn't like one of his movies; the man is impervious to any criticism.

I've never been a huge Shamalamadingdong fan. I think The Sixth Sense is very overrated, Unbreakable is probably my favorite film of his, I actually liked Signs despite the ending... Past that, I can't say I've really liked any of his films. The Village has a nice atmosphere and some well-crafted, tense, frightening scenes (like his previous films), but ultimately is disappointing.

Then came Lady in the Water, I didn't like that at all, but at least it was creative. And then... The Happening. What a terrible, terrible film. I haven't seen The Last Airbender, but I've heard it's worse than even that and is an injustice to the beloved show (which I haven't seen either). Is it possible M. Night's actually become delusional and thinks he can do no wrong?

Sorry for the rambly post.

Impediment
M. Night hit his apex loooong ago.

The Sixth Sense is still, to me, at least, a classic.

Unbreakable was a great watch, since I identify with the film a a comic book aficionado.

Signs, I have to admit, was a great film, as well.

The rest are just awful, if you ask me.

marwash22
Originally posted by Robtard
M. Night still has several great to good movies under his belt. several is means a minimum of 3, so that's accurate. The rest are utter shit.

MildPossession
Apart from the name of the film, and that 'mind of' part, I like the look of the film. It's only produced by him.

I see one of the directors of the film directed the remake, Quarantine. I mean, even the poster for Devil has the same design layout as ...

One of the writers was involved in Hard Candy, and 30 Days of Night, so could be decent.

That ACDC Chick
just because Shamalamadingdong's involved with it, you cant automatically assume its gonna suck
but you never know mhmm

Robtard
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
just because Shamalamadingdong's involved with it, you cant automatically assume its gonna suck
but you never know mhmm

It's got Bokeem Woodbine, you know it's going to suck.

jaden101

He was in a couple of episodes of the Sorpanos...Pretty sure that's the only thing good the man has ever done in his life.

Well...That and Dead Presidents.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
He was in a couple of episodes of the Sorpanos...Pretty sure that's the only thing good the man has ever done in his life.

Well...That and Dead Presidents.

Did he play a ghetto character?

Movie wasn't bad, true.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
If you watch interviews with him, it's like he can't comprehend why someone wouldn't like one of his movies; the man is impervious to any criticism.

I, for one, respect that attitude. Do you expect/want him to have a nervous breakdown just because people said his last movie sucks?

"Making a film is like cooking a meal; there's no guaruntee everyone will love it. In fact, many people will hate it, so when it happens you shouldn't give up your passion."
-Denzel Washington to David Letterman, 1997

jaden101
Did he play a ghetto character?

Movie wasn't bad, true.

He played a businessman/gangsta rapper called Massive Genius who tried to get reparations from Hesh because Hesh managed some young black musician and didn't give him any royalties. Hesh was a business associate of Tony.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
He played a businessman/gangsta rapper called Massive Genius who tried to get reparations from Hesh because Hesh managed some young black musician and didn't give him any royalties. Hesh was a business associate of Tony.

Only seen a handful of episodes, did enjoy and I do plan on watching the show start to finish someday.

But did they send Paulie to break his ****ing face?

jaden101
Nah...They settled in other ways...Boring ways.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I, for one, respect that attitude. Do you expect/want him to have a nervous breakdown just because people said his last movie sucks?

It's one thing to make the movies you want to make despite criticsim; it's another to be delusional about the films you're making and to let your ego get so big that you don't comprehend anyone else's opinion.

GCG
I dont understand why people have to get worked up on the dude. He likes making films and in this case case he produced. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simples.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Impediment

Unbreakable was a great watch, since I identify with the film a a comic book aficionado.

I liked all three of those films, a lot.

Gave them all 8s. (Unbreakable was almost a nine, for me.)

I liked The Village, but the ending was a bit stupid as it said that the year was in the 1800s at the beginning...very NOT like M. Knight as he should have just left that portion out and let the watcher ASSUME that. That's why the ending was a bit frustrating, imo.

So, anyway, I liked Lady in the Water, as well. It was a 7.

The Happening sucked. I haven't seen the Last Airbender. Stuart Little was alright. I didn't see his first two films.

All in all, he has more successful, good, films than bad. He has, what, 3 bad films and the rest are good? I haven't given up on him yet.

I have seend The Last Airbender, yet. I think it's a renter, though.

MildPossession
I'm in the minority of enjoying The Village, and Signs more than Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Mr Parker

agree with everything you said.You nailed it completly.Could not have said it better myself.Yeah The Sixth Sense is the one movie of his I WOULD say is a good movie of his.Forgot to mention that.

The rest are just plain god awful.The only difference I have with you is that I would add on Signs to it as well and this coming from a guy who is a huge Mel Gibson fan. His movies anyway. big grin Even Mel couldnt stop me from being bored to death and hating that film. sick

That ACDC Chick
never even heard of that person mhmm

ares834
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm in the minority of enjoying The Village, and Signs more than Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.
sick

You're not simply just in the minority, you're the only one...

MildPossession
Yes, I'm the only one in the whole world...

Mr Parker
yep. big grin

Symmetric Chaos
I love Unbreakable and I've never managed to sit all the way through his other movies. Devil sounds like it could be worth watching for the laugh factor.

"There are five people trapped in an elevator. One of them is the Devil."

omgchos
Well sixth sense was BS anyway...... I guessed the twist about 10 minutes in. Unbreakable was good. Signs was good. The village kinda failed for me when adrian brody was the twist.

residentevil3D
I've given up on him as a director.I have given him too many chances to make a good movie and he has failed everytime

qq0452
Apart from the name of the film, and that 'mind of' part, I like the look of the film. It's only produced by him.

I see one of the directors of the film directed the remake, Quarantine. I mean, even the poster for Devil has the same design layout as ...

One of the writers was involved in Hard Candy, and 30 Days of Night, so could be decent.

BruceSkywalker
Saw the trailer on sunday before Salt came on..

the cgi looks good, thats about it....

having said that, i have liked some of shyamalan's films, this however may not be one of them

Mr Parker
Originally posted by residentevil3D
I've given up on him as a director.I have given him too many chances to make a good movie and he has failed everytime

you and me both on everything you said.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by omgchos
adrian brody was the twist.

I think you need to watch that movie again laughing out loud

I think, M Night is definitely a good Director with great vision. I think he needs to take a step back from screenplays though and just start taking on more work from other writers and producers. He seems to have become over confident in his work. Signs, Unbreakable and Lady in the Water are still good movies to me with Unbreakable and Signs being classics. No one should judge this movie due to M Nights track record though. He is merely producing. I really don't know why they even bothered to tattoo his name all over this movie.

MildPossession
The story is by him, not just producing. So he would have had a big say on how the film goes.

What the ****... why did some moron post exactly what I posted in my first post.

qq0452 - **** off you moronic ****

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

"Making a film is like cooking a meal; there's no guaruntee everyone will love it. In fact, many people will hate it, so when it happens you shouldn't give up your passion."
-Denzel Washington to David Letterman, 1997

I respect it to a certain level. Not everyone is going to like your movies, yes, and you shouldn't give up just because some fat guy in his mom's basement insults you. HOWEVER, there then comes the fine line between pride and egocentrism, a line that Shyamalan has crossed. One thing about filmmaking is that you learn from your mistakes and sometimes listen to criticism, no matter how harsh it is. Shyamalan doesn't even CARE to listen, and feels as if he is a god in that aspect. To me, "Last Airbender" was a massive "f$#@ you" to the millions of fans of the show, because he took a concept that was very popular, cared nothing about the source material, and just said "Whatever I do is good anyways, so who cares?"
And it's not only because of its poor dialogue and god awful acting, either. There were camera angles and sets that were humiliating to see of people's eyebrows and cardboard scenery. The pacing was horrid as well with no sign of transition whatsoever. It's things like this that even teenagers in Video Comm class could point out and correct. The fact that he ignored all help to improve this is ridiculous.

Tired-Hiker
I never saw The Happening, Last Airbender, and I'm sure I won't see Devil. M. Night should change his name. That way the big plot twist for his next flop will be, 'Oh my god!!! Todd Jenkins is actually M. Night Shmalinane or whatever the **** his name is." And the movie will still suck.

-Pr-
Just watched the trailer. Have to admit that i'd really like to see it. I just know that there's bound to be some stupid twist or giant let-down that's going to spoil it for me...

RE: Blaxican
The story is by him, not just producing. So he would have had a big say on how the film goes.

What the ****... why did some moron post exactly what I posted in my first post.

qq0452 - **** off you moronic **** That was hot. Do it again!

Robtard

NemeBro
The story is by him, not just producing. So he would have had a big say on how the film goes. I see what you did there.

MildPossession

robtard - **** off you moronic ****

Bloinky
I saw the trailer when I went to see The Other Guys, the other day and people were laughing at it also.

§P0oONY
http://www.urlesque.com/2010/07/23/audiences-groan-laugh-m-night-shyamalan/ <--- for those who haven't seen the funny.

Impediment
Okay, so I goofed and made a dupe thread. KMC's search engine is shit. You can all bugger off. shakefist

Bardock42
Okay, so I goofed and made a dupe thread. KMC's search engine is shit. You can all bugger off. shakefist

OHHHHHHHHHH EMBARRASSING!!!!

steverules_2

biscuits

mrdavid
thanks........

mrdavid
hjhjhjhj.............

steverules_2
Sock

BruceSkywalker
yeah this movie is either a dvd rental or maybe when it comes on cable

King Kandy
I can identify with the OP because when I was watching Scott Pilgrim, and this came in the previews, I too laughed out loud when I saw Shyamalan's name on it. So did everyone else. It seemed like such a strange, awful movie, so when his name was attached it was like it clicked for me, and I was like "Oh, OF COURSE it sucks..."

fanhost
Yup!! You have said true words about her..!!!!

pseudo_sarah
In Shamalan's defense, I've really enjoyed some of his older movies. But they just don't seem to be getting any better...

pearlshea
Good story. I liked how the spiritual element worked in tandem with the crime-drama

jaden101
I went to see this tonight...My mate's choice...It was actually better than I thought it was going to be. Granted the acting is generally dire but I like the way the Spanish security guard put everything in to context.

I never saw the twist coming in terms of the marine in the elevator being the person who did the hit and run that killed the detective's family

Better than I expected and better than the reviews suggest.

I do wish that the suicide at the beginning was used to greater effect to reveal clues as to what was going on

I've seen worse...

dadudemon
I will see this on dvd.

MildPossession
I see it was the old woman who is the devil , oo er. <---- big reveal, so don't read obviously.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by dadudemon
I will see this on dvd.

rimmy8788
I have watched devil movie. It is a great movie and full of horror. Overall it is good.

fanhost
Yup..You are right. I have watched Devil couple of days ago. It's superb movie.

Discos
Quite a lack of reviews for this movie? I put off seeing this movie for a while due to other (and more better) movies coming out at the time.

Generally.... it was quite good, a good watch with a good twist at the end. But some obvious and ridiculous things happen (no spoilers).

Acting was bad, fair enough they are small-ish kind of actors but it did seem like a really bad cop drama pilot episode.

Discos - 6/10

P.S. M. Night Shyamalan - I think this guy just sits, thinks of the ENDING/TWIST of a movie first.... then writes a story leading up too it. After The Village & Lady of the Water I stopped watching his movies, those were not my cup of tea at all.

KurtRussellCrow
I enjoyed the movie. I know people have come to expect little from these films, but for me it was one of the better horror movies that came out recently.

The Nuul
This movie is not very good.

Robtard
It didn't suck as I expected, but yeah, not very good at all.

Bicnarok
very claustrophobic, not into that.

Kazenji
went and seen this last week and enjoyed it not exactly movie of the year but it was still ok.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Bicnarok
very claustrophobic, not into that.

Some films can do that well. Descent and U571 are both good.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by The Nuul
Some films can do that well. Descent and U571 are both good.

ones to avoid for me then.smile

The Nuul
I mean Das Boot and not U571 even though its a good movie.

Esau Cairn
Devil is based on a series of concepts/short stories that Shyamalan's drafted called The Night Chronicles.

A series of stories based on the devil being a central character.

Shyamalan's idea is not to direct these stories into movies himself but to pass the rights to up & coming directors to adapt to the big screen.
Essentially like The Twillight Zone series.

Kazenji
Ya think?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ya think?

Tremendous response.

You should get a trophy.

Kazenji
Well your the one thats stating the obvious in your posts.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well your the one thats stating the obvious in your posts.

Stating the obvious?

Show me exactly on this thread where someone else has mentioned what I just did.

There's 4 pages of comments regarding his previous movies but no mention at all of what I wrote regarding his future projects.

Kazenji
Well some people do read Movie news on the internet does'nt mean they have to have posted it.

Esau Cairn
So sharing opinions on a message board is ok.

However sharing points of interest isn't?

Okaaaaay.

Kazenji
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Esau Cairn
From one Australian to possibly another....wanker.

galina
I have explore the web-source that you have shared with all of us shokosugi.I will definitely watch devil movie in spare time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.