Starfleet Uniforms - Why Not Combat Fatigues?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
During the Dominion War (or any war), they do not wear combat fatigues or body armor like the Klingons. Why is that?

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
During the Dominion War (or any war), they do not wear combat fatigues or body armor like the Klingons. Why is that?

Body armor is pointless considering the weapons they're facing. A simple phaser can disintegrate a person and everything on him/her.

As far as combat fatigues, they don't nearly look as fashionable.

Kinneary
My guess would be that fatigues essentially become pointless when the technology to scope a person out using tricorders and sensors is so readily available.

Doctor-Alvis
I'd be for some kind of basic camo, in the case of sensor blindness.

Omega Vision
The same reason that phasers looked like ugly remote controllers: Gene Roddenbery didn't want Starfleet to be an overly militaristic military (I know it sounds oxymoronic).

There were many times in TNG that the crew members stated that their ship (despite being the flagship of Starfleet) was not a ship of war but a ship of discovery.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The same reason that phasers looked like ugly remote controllers: Gene Roddenbery didn't want Starfleet to be an overly militaristic military (I know it sounds oxymoronic).

There were many times in TNG that the crew members stated that their ship (despite being the flagship of Starfleet) was not a ship of war but a ship of discovery.

thumb up

-Pr-
To be fair, towards the end of DS9 (and in First Contact) the uniforms did change to the black and grey patterns, which were much more practical and hard wearing to reflect Starfleet's readiness to deal with anything combat related.

Robtard
In the series Enterprise, Archer does take in a squad of Marines during the Xindi war story; they do have fatigues. Though this is before the Federation.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
In the series Enterprise, Archer does take in a squad of Marines during the Xindi war story; they do have fatigues. Though this is before the Federation.
Back when mankind still had balls. 131

-Pr-
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Back when mankind still had balls. 131

Sisko/Worf/Pre-beard Riker > Enterprise Marines.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by -Pr-
Worf is a Klingon.

Riker and Sisko are outliers. uhuh

Robtard
Originally posted by -Pr-

The beard comment is spot-on, that thing grew and Riker's balls shrinked.

Remember in the ep. Deja Q. Q makes a couple of hot women appear on each of Riker's arms as a reward; Riker looks back in disgust and states "I don't need your fantasy women."

Pre-beard Riker would have been all over that shit and given Q the nod to make those two hot bitches appear in his quarters.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
The beard comment is spot-on, that thing grew and Riker's balls shrinked.

Remember in the ep. Deja Q. Q makes a couple of hot women appear on each of Riker's arms as a reward; Riker looks back in disgust and states "I don't need your fantasy women."

Pre-beard Riker would have been all over that shit and given Q the nod to make those two hot bitches appear in his quarters.
I personally think that beard Riker was much cooler than pre-beard Riker.

Doctor-Alvis
Yeah, beardless Riker was kind of a shit. But to be fair, that beard was so astounding that the charisma bonus might be throwing me off.

roughrider
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Yeah, beardless Riker was kind of a shit. But to be fair, that beard was so astounding that the charisma bonus might be throwing me off.

He did become a better character once he had the beard, didn't he?

For the new movies - I was pleased at how they handled the old style uniforms, with the extra touches that didn't date them as much. But they have no pockets. Give them Han Solo-type TESB jackets to carry extra things like phasers & communicators, when they go off ship.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.