Skyline

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr. Rhythmic
So, does anyone else think this looks interesting at all? I think it could be pretty cool. Caught the Transformers noise, though.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/skyline/

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
So, does anyone else think this looks interesting at all? I think it could be pretty cool. Caught the Transformers noise, though.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/skyline/

erm Hard to say,The Trailer doesn't really show anything

MildPossession
It looks nothing special, especially coming from the directors of Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem...

K.Diddy
Originally posted by MildPossession
It looks nothing special coming from the directors of Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem...

erm Good point

Mr. Rhythmic
It looks nothing special, especially coming from the directors of Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem...

...Crap.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
So, does anyone else think this looks interesting at all?]

Yeah it looks interesting but of course with the Brothers Strause involved of course they've manage to mess it up.

MildPossession
Maybe they will surprise us this time Mr. Rhythmic...

Dave_97
I'm fairly upset that they would even release a trailer and have it show nothing.

Isn't that just a waste of money, to have someone slap it together and give it air time? They could've used that money on actors or something to fill the plot holes.

It looks nothing special, especially coming from the directors of Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem... Still haven't seen AVP2, opening weekend my friends were like "Its god awful, Never see that movie" and i still haven't.
Not for lack of trying, the video store beside my house had its copy stolen, and no other shop had it, well, for rent anyway.

Kazenji
They Seemed to have learnt better camera techniques its not so friggan dark with this movie.

Mr. Rhythmic

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

MildPossession
Longer trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6OFS5edZ-0

I don't have any high expectations for this...

BruceSkywalker
read who is in this.. won't be seeing this free or otherwise

jinXed by JaNx
Looks like it could be a lot of fun. Who doesn't like Alien invasion movies.The effects look decent too.

The Nuul
Looks like video game shit.

Kazenji
Looks alright...... .plus it looks better then their previous effort Avp: R.

MildPossession
I thought you might think it would be worth seeing since it has all the explosions and 'action' that you didn't get in Monsters... you will probably think it's amazing once you have seen it. stick out tongue

jinXed by JaNx
I thought you might think it would be worth seeing since it has all the explosions and 'action' that you didn't get in Monsters... you will probably think it's amazing once you have seen it. stick out tongue

laughing out loud come on now MP, At least this movie looks like it knows its a bad movie. This is of course, assuming it is what it appears to be (a mindless roller coaster ride) because, regardless of the directors last atrocity, it might be good. I don't need special effects and explosions in a movie unless that's the type of movie it is trying to be. I didn't expect elaborate action scenes with cutting edge special effects from, Monsters. I expected a more intellectual observation that told the story of a monster/Alien invasion through the perspective of a couple. Just for you though, i'm going to try to watch that movie again to see if i was wrong. roll eyes (sarcastic)

MildPossession
I'm not saying you are wrong if you don't get anything out of Monsters and didn't enjoy it because it didn't deliver what you expected from it, just that it was silly to call it worse than something AWFUL like Dragon Wars, because it's absolutely not.

I'm also not saying Monsters was a classic by the way, if my posts came across like that, I gave it 3 and a half out of 5 everywhere I've talked about it.

Do watch it again to see you were wrong about the Dragon War comment... everything else is fine and dandy if you still don't think much of it. Go into it knowing it's basically a 'road film' about a couple and their journey and you get the occasional glimpse of the aliens.

I just also respect the film because the film maker has done so much with so little budget, hence one reason you probably didn't get to see the aliens a lot.

stick out tongue

Discos
I just saw the advert in the cinema the other day, it looks like a War of the Worlds type movie.... but also the trailer gives it a sort of "Cloverfield" vibe to it - as in they are giving nothing away.

The advert is bassically "sucking up" steven hawking.

I will watch it, but I can see it being a weak movie. The plot will probably be a bunch of teenagers who find a "destroy aliens" switch somewhere on board a spaceship.

Discos - tbh, the humans being sucked up to the ships like a hoover looks pretty neat.

fanhost
Skyline will definitely be the superb sci-fic movie. I will surely watch this movie ..I am eagerly waiting for this movie

tom_servo
Originally posted by K.Diddy
erm Hard to say,The Trailer doesn't really show anything

Hey. It used the sound effect that the Transformers trailer used. Oh. And the text with the lens flare thing. That's..something, right?

Kazenji
Trailer 2

mns8EsSHMmI

MildPossession
Didn't I just put that up some posts back in here...

Kazenji
Oh well......

steverules_2
AvP2 was rubbish but it was pretty damn good compared to the first, this movie looks....ok, I would wait a while before I rent it for a small reasonable price. To me this looks like the war of the worlds remake with Mr.Cruise. Gave me that kinda vibe.

MildPossession
The first AvP was better than Requiem by miles.

the ninjak
I always wanted my AVP movie to be about the Alien infesting the Earth and the Predators teamed up with a technoligically advanced group of human survivors spread out to exterminate them.
With Ripley a half Alien killing machine.

steverules_2
The first AvP was better than Requiem by miles.

No

MildPossession
Of course it was better than Requiem, you are deluded. stick out tongue stick out tongue

Discos
haha, classic movie discussion went off topic.

for the record, the 2nd AvP was quite terrible. I enjoyed the first one

steverules_2
You're kidding me right? It was basically a Rom com with a sci-fi twist, they should've called it AvP actually, the story of how a woman finds love with a predator and how must fight of a xenomorph infestation, the comedy part being of course was that this movie was actually made. I admit I loved the fight at the end where scar did that jump, twist and spear on the queen and the end with the predalien...but other than that it was dissapointing. The sequel was completely rubbish but to me was better than the first movie.

RE: Blaxican
The sequel was shit. The only thing that Requiem had going for it was that the Predator was tougher than the ones in AvP, but who cares? Predator skills are overrated. The first AvP was, from an actual movie making point, writing/plot etc. a better movie. Even James Cameron thought it was pretty good.

MildPossession
Shut up you silly boy. stick out tongue

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by steverules_2
No

Gotta disagree with that. When I first left AVP, I thought "That was pretty cool. Not everything I wanted, but they did some neat stuff." When AVPR was over, I immediately thought "Wow, that was shit."

Discos
Originally posted by steverules_2
You're kidding me right? It was basically a Rom com with a sci-fi twist, they should've called it AvP actually,

Each to their own dude, I thought it wasn't all that bad. Yeah it wasn't a classic Alien flick, or anywhere near the original Predator movie, but for what it was, it was not that bad.

A predator teaming up with a skinny female douche was a bit exaggerated. However the plot of the entire storyline of the movie originating from beyond the Aztec era was pretty neat.

MildPossession
I thought that Predator teaming up with the charactr was perfectly fine, didn't she stop an Alien from killing the Predator? so in return he doesn't kill her and uses her to help escape from where they were?

I forgotten the 'rules' of their kind?

Discos
meh, I was under the assumption (from the original) that pretadors hate humans, why would he kill all of arnie's chums wink

MildPossession
I thought if they have weapons and attack then Predator's can kill, if they come across an unarmed person they leave? Remember in Predator 2 it left that pregnant lady alone and the woman in the first few scenes? if I remember right. stick out tongue

Robtard
Yeah, they have an honor code, generally won't kill the weak, defenseless or unarmed.

Kazenji
Unless you want to bring in this other pred clan from the Avp comics which those rules don't apply to them.

Discos
So... Skyline huh roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kazenji
Lets hope its a good movie.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Discos
meh, I was under the assumption (from the original) that pretadors hate humans, why would he kill all of arnie's chums wink

They don't hate humans. They're hunters.

Discos
yeah I know that but, he was hunting the commando team even before they randomly opened fire.
its been maybe a few years since i have seen the original, but wasnt their 1 civilian casualty at the beginning

Discos - is going to have to watch Predator again to have a valid point sad

steverules_2
Why are you putting the sad smilie? Predator is a great movie, you should put the happy smilie

Shut up you silly boy. stick out tongue

Nevah uhuh

stick out tongue

Discos
haha I am not implying its a bad movie or that its a sort of punishment to watch it.... I meant that my point sucks without having valid reasons behind it

Discos - Predator big grin

dadudemon
I greatly look forward to Skyline. It looks like an awesome movie.

Robtard
Have a mild boner because it's sci-fi and the previews make it look particularly big/flashy, giant alien machines and whatnot.

But the actors make me soft and think this will be nothing but cheesy nonsense.

T.M
First time I saw the trailer for this I thought it was for a TV series, just didn't look like a movie to me.

I won't be going out of my way to watch it.

Impediment
It looks like Independence Day with better CGI.

Discos
mmm I think it looks more like War of the Worlds, with the whole "harvesting" humans nonesense.

I dare say I will go out of my way to see it, been a while since I have seen a sci-fi movie.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Have a mild boner because it's sci-fi and the previews make it look particularly big/flashy, giant alien machines and whatnot.

But the actors make me soft and think this will be nothing but cheesy nonsense.

HAHA! Sucker...

I haven't gone in to watch a movie because I was looking forward to the acting since "Inglourious Basterds."

shifty

Originally posted by Impediment
It looks like Independence Day with better CGI.

mmm I think it looks more like War of the Worlds, with the whole "harvesting" humans nonesense.

Indeed. It looks like it will be better than both films. However, if the acting and lines are so horrible, it really will ruin the film. sad Premise and CGI are both amazing and that's why I look forward to it.

Kazenji
So it starts this week

hope its good.

jaden101
Amazes me that this film, while clearly going to be a great big steaming pile of rotten turds, garners a huge amount of attention while Monsters, which is going to be a far superior sci-fi film, is getting none.

daviidwilson
Originally posted by Kazenji
Looks alright...... .plus it looks better then their previous effort Avp: R. watch movies online

Kazenji
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MildPossession
DW - **** off back to where you came from.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Amazes me that this film, while clearly going to be a great big steaming pile of rotten turds, garners a huge amount of attention while Monsters, which is going to be a far superior sci-fi film, is getting none.

I had hopes for Monsters, so I got a copy, skimmed through and peeked at a few parts; looks pretty shitty though.

Will hold final judgement until I see it, but am in no hurry to.

MildPossession
Monsters is very impressive if you look into how it was made and for how much.

Robtard
Monsters is very impressive if you look into how it was made and for how much.

That sounds like code for: "It's a shit film, but they did a lot with the 50 pounds of budget."

MildPossession

the ninjak
This movie was a fun comicbook cheese fest. Very predictable. Very unlikable characters besides one. I'll leave it there.

The Nuul
According to reviews.....this movie sucks.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/skyline_2010/

MildPossession
All the reviews I've read so far have said it's rubbish, but basically fun rubbish.

MildPossession
Now THIS looks like a good alien invasion film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORb3zC8z94w

Holy shit that looks good.

I am definitely going to whore that trailer out and say that I found it on youtube myself.

T.M
That looks good.

It is being converted to 3D which will suck but I will see it in 2D.

MildPossession
What's in 3D? Battle? haven't heard it's in 3D...

The Nuul

Holy fck that good awesome. I agree...

"Now THIS looks like a good alien invasion film".

Black Hawk Down meets Indepence Day.

T.M
Yeah thought I heard a rumour that it was.. I might be/hope I am wrong.

Robtard

Michelle Rodriguez, that brings it down 2 points right there.

Bet you we see her in a wife-beater and/or she makes that stupid face where she looks down but her eyes are up.

Mindset
Michelle Rodriguez, that brings it down 2 points right there.

Bet you we see her in a wife-beater and/or she makes that stupid face where she looks down but her eyes are up. lmao wut?

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
lmao wut?

Usually has her head down a bit more, really depends on the level of "I'm such a bad-ass and you'd better not **** with this, yo." she's trying to demonstrate.

This one is about a Class 6, maybe 7 look:

http://powercrash.darkzone.lu/photos3/Michelle%20Rodriguez%202501.jpg

Mindset
laughing out loud

Discos
Oh my god!! I seen this movie tonight (skyline), and it sucked balls.

There was no need for the first 15minutes.... and the last 4minutes was utter garbage.

what a downer to the beginning of my weekend!

Discos - 2/10

dadudemon

Meh.

Looks like a watered down version of the Gantz invasion stuff. I'll see it, however, as I like pretty much every single big budget alien movie out there.

Other than Discos obviously not liking this film (could have called that before you even saw it, Discos), has anyone else seen this film?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by The Nuul
According to reviews.....this movie sucks.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/skyline_2010/

yet i won't be surprised if this makes money...

Originally posted by dadudemon
Meh.

Looks like a watered down version of the Gantz invasion stuff. I'll see it, however, as I like pretty much every single big budget alien movie out there.

Other than Discos obviously not liking this film (could have called that before you even saw it, Discos), has anyone else seen this film?

at first i wasn't going to see this, but i might relent and see it prolly next week

Mr. Rhythmic

I saw that trailer the other day, and all I could think was "Wow, this trailer is ten times scarier and more intense than all of the clips I've seen of 'Skyline.'"

Normally, I hate watching a movie that has the same plot as one that appeared not too long before, but BLA looks like the movie to see.

The Nuul
Someone make a thread for that movie instead of high jacking this one.

Discos
@dadudemon - haha, I am just angered at myself due to me actually saying this movie looked good when I saw the trailer.

Me, my friend and my cousin were just enraged on the car journey home at how terrible a movie it was. Probably in my top 5 worst of all time.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by The Nuul
Someone make a thread for that movie instead of high jacking this one.

It's all connected in the same conversation, so calm down.
If you're complaining that much, make a thread.

MildPossession
And it's Mr. Rhythmic's topic. smile

The Nuul
Just did so, I was lazy before...

Kazenji
Me, my friend and my cousin were just enraged on the car journey home at how terrible a movie it was. Probably in my top 5 worst of all time.

A review that i read says its an improvement over their last effort AVP: R

MildPossession
Well that's not hard to improve on...

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Kazenji
A review that i read says its an improvement over their last effort AVP: R

A turd covered in toxic waste is an improvement over AVP: R.

Esau Cairn
It's difficult to talk about a movie without giving too much spoilers away.
But in all honesty, I really enjoyed Skyline.

It wasn't perfect...2 things that nagged me was the abrupt ending. Maybe there will be an alternate ending on dvd...

And the other thing that nagged me was the casting of a certain black actor in the begining of the movie, which seemed to be his first serious role. I kept expecting Carla, JD & the rest of the cast of Sacred Heart to turn up to the party!

I really thought it was a fun flick.
No American President jumping into a jet to save the world.
No aliens scared of water or harmful to common bacteria.

The cgi was pretty convincing, especially as most were set in daylight & the whole film being set over 5 days gave it a good pace for the plot.

What's your opinions on why you all hated Skyline?

victornov
skyline become a one of the most popular movie from all of current movies...

dannybindras

janiethomas
It offers few attractions to attract parasites PG-13 crude, but not much of a movie, falling in the Los Angeles foreigners, luring locals with mesmerizing blue light unholy tree. Its like a trip to Kmart with the ugliest creatures imaginable.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by janiethomas
It offers few attractions to attract parasites PG-13 crude, but not much of a movie, falling in the Los Angeles foreigners, luring locals with mesmerizing blue light unholy tree. Its like a trip to Kmart with the ugliest creatures imaginable.

As a fellow Australian, I'm gonna crash tackle you if I ever see you in Kmart big grin

dadudemon
This movie was enjoyable, but barely gets a 6.

The acting and the lines were such shit at times that it actually ruined the film.

The plot was alright. This movie would have done MUCH better as a video game than it would have as a movie.

I also did not like the "magical" repair ability of the aliens. That was kind of stupid.

I also did not like that the military was having dog fights with the aliens. that's stupid. The days, we wouldn't be having any sort of dog fights. We would literally be taking shit out from hundreds of miles away.

Also, like, every other scene, what ever the people were working for and accomplished, it was immediately nulled the next scene as if the writer was like, "nevermind."

Best example is when the hotel worker finally got his lighter to light up but in the very next scene, the alien is still alive with cinders still burning on its body. They just spent the previous 5 or so minutes showing the struggle and they even gave the hotel dude a slow mo when he finally lit it, just to null everything done in the VERY next scene.

The ending was alright but it more pissed me off than anything. Why could not his brain have been put into one of those gigantic super crawlers instead of that "largish" ape body? I have a hard time seeing how that form will allow him to exist with his wife for like...the rest of their lives. I just can't picture daddy tossing his baby into the air while both get a hearty laugh from the "father-child" bonding moment. lol

Anyway, it was mostly a disappointment but was still entertaining. I recommend any sci-fi fan see this. Anyone not a fan of sci-fi, this is not really worth watching. There's so many little writing errors that could have been corrected to bump this movie up to an 8..and that may frustrate some of you.

Some of the cinematography was pretty good. Odd that I would say that, right? But, sometimes, things just stand out to me even in lower quality films.

CGI, top notch, of course.

Sound is alright but could have been much better. They went too generic on the sound for my tastes.

Musical track is unremarkable.

Acting is shit most of the time.

Lines are stupid half the time.

Plot is okay but could have been better.

It did not bring anything fresh to the table and still seems like a very weak version of Gantz.

Wow factor was alright but could have been better.

And so forth.

Esau Cairn
What's Gantz?

Kmc seems to be the only mb I heard Gantz mentioned a few times.

And yes I totally agree, Skyline was nowhere near perfect but maybe it was the mood Iwas in when I saw it & with no expectations at all, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Esau Cairn
Lastly...yeah I agree the acting was below average but that added to the scenario of "What I would've done" in that scenario of waking up to an alien invasion.

The characters' actions weren't over the top, they acted blindly & their only aim was to survive & escape NOT take a stance & try to save the world, only themselves.

I mean I can't exactly relate to a drunken crop-duster (Idependence Day) who must prove his worth to his kids by taking on a fleet of spaceships...much less pretend I'm the president & hopping in a jet fighter to defend my country.

In Skyline, I could actually visualise myself in their predicament & mortally do & acheive what they did.

Esau Cairn

I also did not like the "magical" repair ability of the aliens. That was kind of stupid.

I also did not like that the military was having dog fights with the aliens. that's stupid. The days, we wouldn't be having any sort of dog fights. We would literally be taking shit out from hundreds of miles away.

I thought the "magical" repair ability was insane!
How it just pissed the aliens even more like it was an inconvenience to them & nothing more.

Seeing the ship rebuild itself was that point in the movie where you realise Earth really doesn't have a chance & there is no happy ending to this movie at all.

The military dog fight, I thought was insane too. I loved watching the air battle from a far away, by-stander perspective rather than the usual pilot's p.o.v.

Who can really say how the armed forces would re-act to an alien invasion?

I thought it was visually exciting to see that last bomber jet destroyed...only to see a trail of smoke come from the exploding debris & realise the pilot was able to deploy its missile before getting shot down.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I thought the "magical" repair ability was insane!
How it just pissed the aliens even more like it was an inconvenience to them & nothing more.

I'm okay with repairing continguous pieces of the same object, but not "magically" pulling objects from far aware, putting them back in place, while repairing the materials. That's "magic." There's also a significant portion of materials that would have been "vaporized" from the nuclear blast. There's no getting around that they ventured outside of Sci-Fi and went into the realm of magic.

There's also changing the thermal properties of the materials, which would need to be instant, in order for those materials to retain some of their properties (IE, conduct electricity, support, and so forth.)

Seeing the ship rebuild itself was that point in the movie where you realise Earth really doesn't have a chance & there is no happy ending to this movie at all.

I agree.

The military dog fight, I thought was insane too. I loved watching the air battle from a far away, by-stander perspective rather than the usual pilot's p.o.v.

Who can really say how the armed forces would re-act to an alien invasion?

I can as well as the US military.

We have been building "remote" hardware for years. The F-22, alone, can be dozens to hundreds of miles away and strike it's target. No visual while being outside the radar range.

There was also no need, at all, to send "jets" to fire a nuke into one of the ships. Very stupid. Laser guidance, alone, is more than enough. There's also ICBMs and so forth.

One could argue that they would have a ship intercept the missile before it got there and I would be more apt to agree to that.

Another thing that's stupid is: why didn't they attack it while it was down?

How the hell did all of those aliens, which were largely organic, suvive the nuclear blast without getting vaporized? Stupid and silly.

I thought it was visually exciting to see that last bomber jet destroyed...only to see a trail of smoke come from the exploding debris & realise the pilot was able to deploy its missile before getting shot down.

While cool, I've stated why it was made of "fail.' They should have written the movie a tad better.

There are consultants far more intelligent and knowledgable than I am: why the laziness from the film-makers?

What's Gantz?

Kmc seems to be the only mb I heard Gantz mentioned a few times.

And yes I totally agree, Skyline was nowhere near perfect but maybe it was the mood Iwas in when I saw it & with no expectations at all, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Never post a question on the internet that you could very easily find yourself with a google search. It will save not only you time, but those on the internet to which you've posed your question. Google is your friend: try it out with "Gantz" and get back to me.

Here's a slight taste of Gantz, however:

http://img40.imagefra.me/img/img40/1/11/29/darknives/f_26m_1e28588.jpg

Yes, that is a rediculously huge ship coming from the clouds that appears to be near the size of Tokyo. Yes, near the front there, there are gigantic aliens facing down a large mass of people.

And here is a scene during the beginning of the invasion with a "smaller" alien ship fighting fighter jets.

http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/2/7/6/darknives/f_2021m_4afbd36.jpg

Esau Cairn
Yes, I could've easily googled "Gantz".

But as I mentioned, KMC seemed to be the only mb I've heard it being mentioned.

And being a message board, I'd rather discuss & learn things that interest me from like-minded people sharing their opinions than believe in the propaganda of a website.

Considering Independance Day came out in 1996 & the earliest reference to Gantz (that I googled) was 2000...one can argue that Gantz copied ID's scenes of alien invasion rather than saying Skyline ripped Gantz off.

Esau Cairn
I'm okay with repairing continguous pieces of the same object, but not "magically" pulling objects from far aware, putting them back in place, while repairing the materials. That's "magic." There's also a significant portion of materials that would have been "vaporized" from the nuclear blast. There's no getting around that they ventured outside of Sci-Fi and went into the realm of magic.

There's also changing the thermal properties of the materials, which would need to be instant, in order for those materials to retain some of their properties (IE, conduct electricity, support, and so forth.)

"Magic" wouldn't be the term I'd use. I envisaged the aliens as having more of a telekinetic trait when it came to repairing their ship.

I mean I'm not going to dissect this movie into any rational sense whatsoever but simply to state that I really enjoyed watching it, ableit the ending.

Christ, there's more big budgeted movies out there that really require a suspension of disbelief to enjoy them...The Matrix & Transformers come to mind. Remember Christopher Reeve's Superman flying Lois to the moon to save her?

Esau Cairn

I can as well as the US military.

We have been building "remote" hardware for years. The F-22, alone, can be dozens to hundreds of miles away and strike it's target. No visual while being outside the radar range.

There was also no need, at all, to send "jets" to fire a nuke into one of the ships. Very stupid. Laser guidance, alone, is more than enough. There's also ICBMs and so forth.

One could argue that they would have a ship intercept the missile before it got there and I would be more apt to agree to that.

Another thing that's stupid is: why didn't they attack it while it was down?

How the hell did all of those aliens, which were largely organic, suvive the nuclear blast without getting vaporized? Stupid and silly.

While cool, I've stated why it was made of "fail.' They should have written the movie a tad better.

There are consultants far more intelligent and knowledgable than I am: why the laziness from the film-makers?

Well what's more visually exciting in a sci fi movie?
Jets vs alien ships OR a soldier somewhere in a base pressing a big red button & watching dots on a radar screen???

I think from memory too the plane they deployed the nuke was a remote so kudos to that realistic fact.

Yes I agree to the fact that laser guided projectiles & ICBMs could've been intercepted if deployed from long distance...that's why I easily accepted taking "jets" into the battle.

I mean, if you're not willing to suspend your own disbelief then you're implying that realistically we don't need the airforce anymore because we can rely on remotes, laser guidance & ICBMs...?

I was under the impression that the remote flyer that deployed the nuke was the very last aircraft to be shot down, thus there was no futher attack after the alien ship crashed.

I also suspended my rationality in thinking that the orgnic elements of the aliens were encased & protected in their (tentacled) battlegear.

One can further wonder why & how did the people themselves survive the blast?

Esau Cairn

I don't see it as laziness from the film makers.

I see it as a creative imagination...."it looks cool inside my head, it's gonna be awesome on the bigscreen!"

CrimsonEyes
HAvnt watched it yet but I was actually hoping it would be good. Unfortunately all the revirews seem to indicate otherwise...

Are you SnakeEye's evil twin brother?

dadudemon
I don't see it as laziness from the film makers.

I see it as a creative imagination...."it looks cool inside my head, it's gonna be awesome on the bigscreen!"

You mean you don't see film makers failing to consult with film making experts, as lazy?

Gotcha.

erm

BruceSkywalker
This movie was enjoyable, but barely gets a 6.

The acting and the lines were such shit at times that it actually ruined the film.

The plot was alright. This movie would have done MUCH better as a video game than it would have as a movie.

Also, like, every other scene, what ever the people were working for and accomplished, it was immediately nulled the next scene as if the writer was like, "nevermind."

Best example is when the hotel worker finally got his lighter to light up but in the very next scene, the alien is still alive with cinders still burning on its body. They just spent the previous 5 or so minutes showing the struggle and they even gave the hotel dude a slow mo when he finally lit it, just to null everything done in the VERY next scene.

The ending was alright but it more pissed me off than anything. Why could not his brain have been put into one of those gigantic super crawlers instead of that "largish" ape body? I have a hard time seeing how that form will allow him to exist with his wife for like...the rest of their lives. I just can't picture daddy tossing his baby into the air while both get a hearty laugh from the "father-child" bonding moment. lol

Anyway, it was mostly a disappointment but was still entertaining. I recommend any sci-fi fan see this. Anyone not a fan of sci-fi, this is not really worth watching. There's so many little writing errors that could have been corrected to bump this movie up to an 8..and that may frustrate some of you.

Some of the cinematography was pretty good. Odd that I would say that, right? But, sometimes, things just stand out to me even in lower quality films.

CGI, top notch, of course.

Sound is alright but could have been much better. They went too generic on the sound for my tastes.

Musical track is unremarkable.

Acting is shit most of the time.

Lines are stupid half the time.

Plot is okay but could have been better.

It did not bring anything fresh to the table and still seems like a very weak version of Gantz.

Wow factor was alright but could have been better.

And so forth.

i finally saw this this past sunday...i liked it however i felt the ending was silly yet open ended

jaden101
Terrible film.

One thing that annoys me greatly in sci-fi films nowadays is the over design and over complication of alien ships. Star Trek suffered from it with the Narada and clearly this film has taken the same line.

The acting is terrible...There is no context given about anything...It's utterly pointless...And even worse is that the hottest chick in it gets stomped

Esau Cairn
You mean you don't see film makers failing to consult with film making experts, as lazy?

Gotcha.

erm

Lazy?

Then that leaves alot to be said about the production company & producers who invested millions to create the movie. Not to mention the cast of actors who signed up...all having faith in a bunch of "lazy" film makers.

Hollywood must surely be filled with alot of gullible people.

I can see Arnold turning to James Cameron & saying, "It's a lazy idea to have me play a Terminator that can't be stopped by bullets & have an entire multi million dollar film based on that concept. Sequels? I don't think so!"

dadudemon
Lazy?

Then that leaves alot to be said about the production company & producers who invested millions to create the movie. Not to mention the cast of actors who signed up...all having faith in a bunch of "lazy" film makers.

Hollywood must surely be filled with alot of gullible people.

NOW you're getting it. smile

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Hollywood actors are not paid to be physics and materials engineers: they are paid to say lines and move about. The film makers are, however, paid to hire experts to consult on their films. no expression

BTW, some actors DO speak up when shit isn't right. Case in point: Ian McKellen is known to speak up when shit is off both before, during, and after film-making as he takes pride in being a first-rate actor.

Some filmmakers DO consult beforehand and make great films that are nicely written, nicely acted, and adhere to real-world science. Example: (I'll post one in a second.)

I can see Arnold turning to James Cameron & saying, "It's a lazy idea to have me play a Terminator that can't be stopped by bullets & have an entire multi million dollar film based on that concept. Sequels? I don't think so!"

That goes directly against the logic of your correct, previous statements.

What you SHOULD have said was something like this:

"I can see Arnold turning to James Cameron & saying, "It's a lazy idea to have a 300kg Robot go about his daily life but show no concept of his mass in any of his scenes except in ones that you want to focus on his mass. Put a tiny bit more effort into your concepts, please: don't be lazy."

dadudemon
Found an example of a movie that focused on being accurate and not making silly prop mistakes and the like: The Killing Room.

Esau Cairn
Ok...Okaaay I'll concede & simply agree to disagree.
You make some excellent points & I wish I had the time to debate/discuss more.

Hopefully you understood what points I was making as much as I understood where you were coming from.

Looking forward to future discussions.

dadudemon
Ok...Okaaay I'll concede & simply agree to disagree.
You make some excellent points & I wish I had the time to debate/discuss more.

Hopefully you understood what points I was making as much as I understood where you were coming from.

Looking forward to future discussions.

I do get your points and you clearly communicating them. However, rejected some of it as unnacceptable behavior from people that not only know better, but they have the resources to actually do better. In most cases, all it would take is sitting down for JUST an hour, before moving to production, with an expert, and ironing out some kinks. At other times, it would require an entire week's worth of debate and alteration. They do not do it because has become common practice in Hollywood to do things that are obviously "dumb" science or horribly plot circumstances. They do not feel like taking time to correct those because they know that they can get away with it. Here's why: the people don't care enough to do something about the sh*t writing, science, and plots.

Transformers 1 and 2 are perfect examples. Lots of writing mistakes that could easily have been corrected in a one hour debate amongst the film makers BEFORE moving to production. It would have taken them a week, tops.

jaden101
Found an example of a movie that focused on being accurate and not making silly prop mistakes and the like: The Killing Room.

Better example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

MildPossession
The Killing Room is fantastic.

Esau Cairn
I do get your points and you clearly communicating them. However, rejected some of it as unnacceptable behavior from people that not only know better, but they have the resources to actually do better. In most cases, all it would take is sitting down for JUST an hour, before moving to production, with an expert, and ironing out some kinks. At other times, it would require an entire week's worth of debate and alteration. They do not do it because has become common practice in Hollywood to do things that are obviously "dumb" science or horribly plot circumstances. They do not feel like taking time to correct those because they know that they can get away with it. Here's why: the people don't care enough to do something about the sh*t writing, science, and plots.

Transformers 1 and 2 are perfect examples. Lots of writing mistakes that could easily have been corrected in a one hour debate amongst the film makers BEFORE moving to production. It would have taken them a week, tops.

...And just when I thought I was out of the debate...you pull me straight back in. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Actually I do agree with your above comments.
It just amazes me the amount of intereference a potentially good movie has to go through before it hits the big screen & gets judged & criticised by us, the viewer.

A screenwriter, a film maker always starts out with the best intentions but once the rights are sold, passed to the producers, "adapted" by the director then editted & marketed....the end product is not always the potential masterpiece it could've been.

This is why I found your comments, blaming Skyline's film makers as lazy, too generalised. Once the interference starts it's totally out of their control & not entirely their fault. Although Hollywood always wants a scapegoat for films that bomb.

I also think the scenes in Skyline that you commented as "lazy" by the film makers would've resulted in less action scenes if they stayed "accurate to real life" resulting in a less dramatic film. (Regardless of whether you enjoyed the movie or not.)

I recall the 1st Mission Impossible movie went through about 4 different directors & 33 script re-writes before it hit the big screen. It was a big sloppy mess that was badly editted leaving a plot that made no sense at all.

Every one of Alan Moore's graphic novels that have been made into film is another example of the amount of interference by producers/directors & marketting... butchering classic, well written stories/plots from the start.
Hell, we can't have Sean Connery playing an opium fiend, let's cliche his character down a notch to be just another "Indiana Jones".

I read an article where the Coen Brothers had nothing but dispise for the editting department that handled No Country For Old Men. The killing of one of the integral characters (the husband) was so badly editted, alot of viewers didn't realise he was murdered & expected him to turn up in the end to save his wife.

So yeah, no matter whether it's pre-production, during the actual filming or post-production the amount of interference that a script is subjected to is ridiculous.

dadudemon
Better example.

That probably is a very good example. It's rumored to do a very good job with handling the science portion. I still have not seen this film, BTW. Does it do well not to make silly prop placement and editing errors? I hate it when films of with a budget that runs over $100 million makes highschool filming mistakes.

The Killing Room is fantastic.

It certainly was. If I cannot find an error in a film (even if I disagree with the character's motivations), the director has done a superb job. I paid special attention to the props, when watching it a second time, to see if I could find prop placement errors. I could not really find anything that did not fall under "moved the prop when the camera was not on the person."

That's not the only reason I consider it "high quality cinema" however. Nicely written and an ending that was not predictable.

...And just when I thought I was out of the debate...you pull me straight back in. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Actually I do agree with your above comments.
It just amazes me the amount of intereference a potentially good movie has to go through before it hits the big screen & gets judged & criticised by us, the viewer.

A screenwriter, a film maker always starts out with the best intentions but once the rights are sold, passed to the producers, "adapted" by the director then editted & marketed....the end product is not always the potential masterpiece it could've been.

This is why I found your comments, blaming Skyline's film makers as lazy, too generalised. Once the interference starts it's totally out of their control & not entirely their fault. Although Hollywood always wants a scapegoat for films that bomb.

I also think the scenes in Skyline that you commented as "lazy" by the film makers would've resulted in less action scenes if they stayed "accurate to real life" resulting in a less dramatic film. (Regardless of whether you enjoyed the movie or not.)

I recall the 1st Mission Impossible movie went through about 4 different directors & 33 script re-writes before it hit the big screen. It was a big sloppy mess that was badly editted leaving a plot that made no sense at all.

Every one of Alan Moore's graphic novels that have been made into film is another example of the amount of interference by producers/directors & marketting... butchering classic, well written stories/plots from the start.
Hell, we can't have Sean Connery playing an opium fiend, let's cliche his character down a notch to be just another "Indiana Jones".

I read an article where the Coen Brothers had nothing but dispise for the editting department that handled No Country For Old Men. The killing of one of the integral characters (the husband) was so badly editted, alot of viewers didn't realise he was murdered & expected him to turn up in the end to save his wife.

So yeah, no matter whether it's pre-production, during the actual filming or post-production the amount of interference that a script is subjected to is ridiculous.

But, you see, the fundamental problems with the film are directly in the reason the movie fails: it's plot. On top of that, the acting and some of the lines sucked very very badly. You cannot blame that on "interference." That's just being retarded from the script all the way to the big screen. Even if you can blame the horrible lines and sometimes bad acting on the director and producers, you cannot blame the obviously flawed plot and conflict entirely on them: part of the problem is with the script itself.

The first Tom Cruise mission impossible film was great. It was confusing for some, sure, but I did not see what the big deal was about. NOC list: retrieve. YEA! I KNOW THE PLOT!

And, I'm not sure who you spoke to but no one I know thought the "husband" was still alive. It was very clear that he died.

Even IF you want to blame all of movies problems on interference, it still does not contradict what I'm saying: it only agrees with me.

MildPossession
One reason I'm looking forwards to Battle: Los Angeles, same director.

jaden101
tbh I don't pay a large amount of attention to background props and such...Even product placement generally passes me by unless it's hugely obvious such as "I Robot".

It's real world science is extremely heavy though...Deliberately so, according to the writer, director, producer, protagonist (who was all the same person)

Tremendous film....Definitely needs several watches to fully understand it though.

Robtard
Better example.

That was a great movie.

dadudemon
One reason I'm looking forwards to Battle: Los Angeles, same director.

Just watched the trailer again except, this time, in HD.

Looks good. Also, now that I know that the same director is did Battle, I'm looking forward to it a little bit more. It looks like it will be a better version of this film, Skyline.

Hopefully, we do not have the crappy ugly cheesy lines from Skyline. Hopefully, the acting is much better.

However, this film is a much bigger budget so I fully expect it to have lots of mistakes which is probably even more saddening for Liebesman (the director) than it is for me. He obviously has a "thing" for not making silly movie mistakes so I bet he had to swallow his pride as he made this big budget film. Let's just hope he made the best of what script and schedule he had and skimped on some of the easier to avoid mistakes. I've got my fingers crossed...and my eyes crossed, too. pained

The Nuul
This was horrible. Its not even worth seeing it for free.

Robtard
Full of nonsense and non-explained whys, clearly #2 (or more) is on the way.

One epic lolz, when the main character went Will-Smith and started punching the alien, I lol'd.

The Nuul
Then they have the nerve of pulling an District 9 type ending where the main character becomes a good Alien.

Darth Vicious
Only thing I liked was that no one survived such an attack. There wasnt no miracle solution to get rid of the alien. Besides that, it sucked monkey balls!

The Nuul
Well yeah, the brothers want to make another shitty movie.

jaden101
Full of nonsense and non-explained whys, clearly #2 (or more) is on the way.

One epic lolz, when the main character went Will-Smith and started punching the alien, I lol'd.

I didn't cos I actually wasted money seeing it at the cinema.

I usually like films where everyone dies...Not this though.

Robtard
Hahahaa. I was tempted to, but decided to wait for a proper D/L to appear.

Esau Cairn
I actually watched Cloverfield for the first time lastnight & seriously Skyline craps all over it.

What meagre plot Skyline had, Cloverfield stumbled around blindly & pathetically to its bitter & anti-climatic end.

What B grade actors Skyline had us follow....I really couldn't give a damn about the 4 wannabe Friends Rejects that we're supposed to care & view through their eyes the mayhem & carnage aound them.

I mean it was totally annoying & seriously unbelieveable to view the entire destruction & chaos of Manhatten via someone's handheld camera. At least in Skyline the characters' actions were more realistic when faced with a destructive alien invasion...whereas Cloverfield, I'm supposed to believe that someone will deliberately handicap themselves by losing the use of one arm by holding a camera throughout the chaos & panic & then give a bloody annoying narrative that's more to do with trying to chat up the chick with concussion than a creature destroying his hometown & killing his best friend.

The scene in the train tunnel where the group gets attacked by the creatures was ridiculous. The guy refuses to drop the camera when he gets knocked down, this results in the chick having to jump in to defend him & then she gets fatally bitten for her efforts.

Later on, she's in serious shock feebly trying to wipe her wounds with water & a tissue & all the idiot can do is film her & make a pathethic attempt at picking her up. I mean for christsakes, put the camera down on the table & help the person who just saved your life. As for the other chick, she gets impaled close to the heart by a steel rod, losing alot of blood & is still able to run & have a romantic moment after...?

Lastly, the battle itself was vastly under-rated, compared to Skyline. At least Skyline had the balls to film a day time invasion & nothing is left obscured by darkness or buildings or smoke. And it was pretty absurd how the military quickly mobilised themselves within hours of the creature appearing.
Where did the troops, tanks & vehicles with rocket launchers all of a sudden come from?
Missiles & explosive projectiles proved pointless against the creature from the very start & yet the army still carried on destroying Manhatten without even a scratch to the creature.

After watching Cloverfield for the first time, I have much more respect for what Skyline attempted to be.

D-Wag
Other then the poor acting and slow parts, I thought the movie was rather entertaining. Would I watch it again...probably not. Does anyone else think that they could possibly think about making a sequel? I know the ending made it seem like we were finished, but it really didn't show too much.

Robtard
Originally posted by D-Wag
Other then the poor acting and slow parts, I thought the movie was rather entertaining. Would I watch it again...probably not. Does anyone else think that they could possibly think about making a sequel? I know the ending made it seem like we were finished, but it really didn't show too much.

Sequel is already written; they're in pre-production. Probably will come out late 2011 or early 2012.

Syren
"A middling sci-fi entry, Skyline offers proof that solid special effects alone cannot overcome a flat storyline filled with uninspired dialogue." Rotten Tomatoes sums this up perfectly.

My partner and I don't often go to the cinema because it's a luxury we can't regularly justify, but on this occasion the trailer for Skyline had me so gripped that I was determined we'd make a night of it. Wish we hadn't. The trailer was so misleading that the only thing I can relate to the movie itself was the mysterious blue light. Beautiful special effects, a cast I was actually quite happy with, but ridiculous dialogue combined with a rehash of most of the sci-fi movies I've already seen and enjoyed far more makes me wonder how this movie didn't go straight to dvd. To add insult to injury, the ending was so far fetched and utterly silly that I'm surprised a bunch of aliens haven't invaded earth since its release to stop anyone else from experiencing the atrocity of it.

galina
I had watch skyline movie and it is thriller based.This movie has entertained me a lot while watching it.

D-Wag
Sequel is already written; they're in pre-production. Probably will come out late 2011 or early 2012.

Oh nice, I wouldn't mind a remake as long as its better than the first one...which really would not be hard to top at all. I'm guessing in the sequel its going to be more military bound and we might be seeing some of the humanbrain in alien some more rofl

Robtard
Oh nice, I wouldn't mind a remake as long as its better than the first one...which really would not be hard to top at all. I'm guessing in the sequel its going to be more military bound and we might be seeing some of the humanbrain in alien some more rofl

I'm guessing it will focus on the pregnant girl (and why the aliens were so interested in the fetus) her boyfriend turned alien and should dwell deeper into the aliens methods/reasons. Will be as shitty as the first one, mind you.

If you search in a couple of months, I'm sure the synopsis will be online somewhere.

steverules_2
I liked that they planned to go to water, next movie someone with a baseball bat comes a long starts using a little girls glass of water to destroy the aliens

Esau Cairn
Well Earth was clearly doomed at the end of the 1st one so I'm guessing the boyfriend turned alien will be the anti-hero saving the day.

Impediment
Holy ****!!

This movie SUCKED!!

It was like watching a Michael Bay movie if he suffered a massive head injury that rendered him a drooling mongoloid!

The ending was complete ball sacks!

Mr. Rhythmic

As you were saying?

Patient_Leech
Is this at least worth seeing to make fun of? That's all i've been hoping for, cuz the trailer loooked pretty hilarious..

The Nuul
Holy ****!!

This movie SUCKED!!

It was like watching a Michael Bay movie if he suffered a massive head injury that rendered him a drooling mongoloid!

Esau Cairn
Heh heh...I'm still in the minority that actually enjoyed this film.

I found it more realistic & compelling compared to Independence Day, Cloverfield & Battle:Los Angeles all put together.

Robtard

Wait til part 2, that ball-sack will unload all over your face. Typical Saturday night for you.

Patient_Leech
Wait til part 2, that ball-sack will unload all over your face. Typical Saturday night for you.

Mary mother of Jesus, you're not kidding. This is seriously getting a sequel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1724970/

Life isn't fair.

The Nuul

D-Wag
Its a comicbook series, of course its getting a sequel

Patient_Leech

No, I think Nuul is right, it has more to do with the fact that it made money. Doesn't matter how good it is or how badly it sucked, or what it's original source material is.. it's all about the $$$.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Doesn't matter how good it is or how badly it sucked, or what it's original source material is.. it's all about the $$$.

Of course it's all about the $.
Films are financed & made in the hopes of making a profit.

What production company or director has ever made a film "out of love & devotion" knowing it was going to lose money from the start?

D-Wag
Well yea duh this whole entire human civilization is about money. I new it was going to rake in money just from the trailer. The sequels going to be just as big if they just make it look cool.

Patient_Leech
What production company or director has ever made a film "out of love & devotion" knowing it was going to lose money from the start?

By and large, yeah, but there are independent filmakers and subversive documentaries out there. It's not all hollywood bullsh#t.

the ninjak
Of course it's all about the $.
Films are financed & made in the hopes of making a profit.

Plenty of films get made hoping for a cult following and not quick profit....this movie was not one of them.

Kazenji

Skyline is?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by the ninjak
Plenty of films get made hoping for a cult following and not quick profit....this movie was not one of them.

Seriously is a production company going to invest millions backing a director hoping his film will make a "cult following"..?

Investments are made hoping for the quick & steady profit NOT look back on a film that's been steadily paying out royalties because it hit "cult status" on the rental shelf.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>