Star War Episodes 1-3 Alternative

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wolverine2006
It's a common fact that Star Wars episodes 1-3 were not perfect, and far from it in my opinion. I think it was a complete waste to kill off Darth Maul in the first movie. I think it would have made a much more compelling story if he survived, and took Count Dooku's place for episodes 2, and 3. He would have become more powerful as the movies progressed, and the anger that Obi Wan had towards him for killing his master would be a great story element. A battle in episode 3 with a mature Sith Lord Maul vs Obi Wan and/or Anakin would have been amazing to see, and we would have got to see a lot more of the fan fave Maul. I think it'd be sick to see where his potential would have taken him he was very young, and obviously too cocky for his own good in episode 1. He was just as young as Obi Wan, and look how far Obi Wan progressed through the movies.

queeq
I think the whole PT should have been set in or just before the Clone Wars. All three movies should have been about ROTS IMHO. I don't really care who the Sith was, as long as it was a decently worked out character. Maul had the looks and the screentime... Dooku was rushed and underdeveloped.

Wolverine2006
Yeah I feel like the entire prequel trilogy was "rushed, and underdeveloped" lol.

Sith Master X
Well, 16 years after the OT, it certainly wasn't rushed. lol

It's just that the OT is such a classic in it's own right, that no matter what you get 20 years later, it almost certainly won't live up to the originals. I grew up with the PT so I have my own love for it.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull suffered the same problem. It's really not a bad film, but it was 19 years....the anticipation is so high that it almost never satisifies.

Wolverine2006
Yeah, but I feel like Lucas had the general idea down a long time ago, but then rushed everything else. He probably just figured he could slap Star Wars as a title to any thing he made, and would make bookoo cash off of it.

queeq
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Well, 16 years after the OT, it certainly wasn't rushed. lol

It's just that the OT is such a classic in it's own right, that no matter what you get 20 years later, it almost certainly won't live up to the originals. I grew up with the PT so I have my own love for it.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull suffered the same problem. It's really not a bad film, but it was 19 years....the anticipation is so high that it almost never satisifies.

The same problem would then be.... I hate to say it.... Lucas.

Look at what he (re)created in the past 12 years:
- PT
- Clone Wars
- KOTC

Now... we know a lot of teh actors in the PT know how to act well, we know ILM can make awesome stuff, Spielberg has made a lot of good films in those 12 years... yet, everything Lucas gets his hands on seems to turn into some bleak, mushy crap... And seeing the trailer for CW3... it's not improving.

Hybris
Mall would never have had Dooku's charm and would never have been able to lead / found the CIS... He's got the brawn, but not the brains.

And the point is that Anakin is the one with the anger, not Obi Wan... He is able to move on and let go, while Anakin isn't.

Sith Master X
lol KOTC. David Koepp wrote it, Speilberg Directed it. Lucas ruined it. Yep. lol

It was Steven's idea to go CGI heavy because he wanted to shoot the film closer to his family, rather than go to the actual locations. Recently Shia called out his disappointment on the film, and he called out Speilberg for it, not Lucas.

I agree that Steven has done some good stuff in the past 12 years, but he also dropped the bomb on some films as well that Lucas had no part of. To name a few:

War of the Worlds "Sucked"
AI "Not Great"
Minority Report "I couldn't even finish it"

~JP~
Oh SMX much as I love you I cant get behind your love for Lucas. While he gave us the OT he also butchered the PT. I like those movies but they could have been SO much better had he not had as much input as he did. Especially ROTS which was rushed like no other, The seduction of Anakin by Palpatine took place in mere days when in fact it took a whole lot longer than that if you go by the book (which Lucas approved). The way it was done in the movie was almost laughable.

Sith Master X
I completely agree that the PT could have been better. Absolutely.
I've admitted many times that as much as I love ROTS, there are major, major things that I would have taken in a different direction to better suit the storyline and not feel forced. No doubts there. I love the PT to death, but yes, they aren't perfect.

What annoys me though is blaming him for absoluley everything. A director is not responsible for "bad acting." If the "acting" is bad, it's the "actor's" fault. Doesn't matter if they did a great job in another film, sometimes their performances lack in others, and it's their fault.

Ewan McGregor's acting was fantastic, and so was Ian McDiarmid's. Are we praising and giving Lucas credit for that? Nope! Hayden and Natalie's acting wasn't good. Are we blaming Lucas for that? Yep! See my drift?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: The movie was sub par compared to the original 3....so who do we blame....Lucas. Now, think of this. Say KOTCS turned out to be the best of the 4 films....would everyone have been praising Lucas and putting him on a pedestal? No. Instead, they would be praising Steven Speilberg.

It's a failure before it even begins. If it sucks, it will be Geroge's fault. If it's good "Well, GL didn't direct it, Steven did, so the movie was good because Steven directed it."

If it's bad "Lucas had it hands on it, so it sucked."

We can blame Lucas for CGI, we can blame him for awkward dialogue in some areas, we can blame him for plot points.....but we can't blame him for acting, and he sure can't be blamed for Indiana Jones 4.

queeq
It's not so simple as you put it, SMX. Lucas is a very powerful man on all of these productions. And as we know from the SPidey movies: With great power, comes great responsibility. So he's very very responsibles, especially since he has the power to call the shots, to veto, to change direction. And we know he did.

1. We know he did the PT all on his own, he surrounded himself with a lot of yes-men (we can see that clearly in the TPM documentary and even read about it the The Making of TPM book). Also, the output of the PT and its mediocrity is no one else responsibilty other than Lucas'. Yes, McGregor acted great in ROTS, but not so great in TPM and getting there in AOTC. McDiarmid is an exception, he's always great in SW. But all in all, the quailty of the PT is solely the responsibility of Lucas.

2. KOTC. It was Lucas that determines the angle/topic of the Indiana Jones movies, it was Lucas that ditched the clearly superior Frank Darabont script because he wanted it his own way. I don't think CGI ruined KOTC, it's the story and its development, the characters and yeah, prolly the aliens too... The choice for this approach (and not the Darabont-approach which was approved by Spielberg and Ford) was Lucas'. Yes, they all agreed so they do share the blame. But I cannot fail to see the motor of Lucas behind it.

3. CW.
Lucas said after finishing ROTS that the Skywalker story was over. That the rest of the franchise would focus on other stories and characters in the SW universe. Filoni seemd to want to do something else, yet Lucas changed his mind again and made CW again almost exlcusively aboutr Anaking and OB1. Milking his franchise dry, making lame and predictable. Again... Lucas is to blame.

The guy has a major empire, is stinking rich, has all the power in the world. We can hold him responsible, we don't have to feel sorry for him and he prolly doesn't care what we say anyway.

~JP~

, we can blame him for awkward dialogue in some areas,.....but we can't blame him for acting,

Ah but see I think in those two things we can. I mean theres ALOT of dialog in the PT thats so hideous there isnt an actor or actress alive that could make it sound natural and acceptable. And THAT my friend IS Lucas's fault.

Sith Master X

Sith Master X
By the way....has anyone even read Frank Darabount's "Indiana Jones and the City of Gods?"

Lucas didn't ditch the entire script, he had it reworked, and had some of the story reworked as well, and thank god. The beginning features Indiana Jones and Yuri riding into a cafe and talking about how they love cheeseburgers and ketchup, which definitely sounds more exciting to me than going back to the landmark warehouse from Raiders. alien no expression

~JP~
Now wait a minute JEJ is SO not a crappy actor. The reason his Nooooo in ROTS didnt work is because it was a dumbass line at that point in the film plain and simple. That was beyond stupid. And Lucas is the one who wrote that dumbass line.

Sith Master X
I think JEJ is a great actor, I just don't think that was the best he could have delivered that line.

Ewan rocked it in Episode I.

"What about the other Jedi spread across the galaxy?" Fine line, Hayden butchered it. Made the line look awful. Those aren't lines that a decent actor are incapable of delivering.

Now.....the one thing I will "not" let Lucas off the hook for, and I'll be first to admit that this is as attrocious as dialouge can get:

"You're so beautiful.....It's because I'm so in love....No, no, it's because I'm so in love with you."

Yes, as a writer myself, that is TERRIBLE. But not all of the writing in the prequel trilogy was bad. I think we put more emphasis on the few times it didn't work, rather than all the times it did.

The writing has never been extremely polished, and GL even admits that. But it's a Star Wars movie, and the OT didn't have the greatest dialogue either.

~JP~

Now.....the one thing I will "not" let Lucas off the hook for, and I'll be first to admit that this is as attrocious as dialouge can get:

"You're so beautiful.....It's because I'm so in love....No, no, it's because I'm so in love with you."

QFT

that has to be THE worst couple of lines in the entire saga. sick sick

Sith Master X
It was awful. I remember slumping down in my seat when I first heard that in theater. I was like, "ok, now that really was bad."

Other things I can really forgive.

But this has been a fun debate. Probably the most discussion I've had on these forums in a while. lol Whatever would this place be like without you and Queeq? big grin

queeq
I read the Darabont script. It wasn't perfect but the main story arc had much more to it than KOTCS. And it didn't have Mutt.... a major improvement.

And Lucas sure is to blame about the acting performances. Just check out the few snippets in how he directed the PT. When he was doing the OT he didn't have much of an idea how it should be played so the actors figured out a lot by themselves. If you see the Making Of shots, he is really micromanaging the delivery of lines... where to stress on certain words. Now, I know that doesn't give actors a lot of freedom to explore, you just do as the man wants. You don't get the best of your actors simply because he doesn't ask them to give them their best.

And I know from experience that it's best to (at least fairly frequently) to let actors show you what they can do with their lines. It means utilising their range. I doubt Lucas ever did that.

I think McGregor's performance over all three films is proof of that micromanagement style: he kinda sucks in TPM (while he was great in many other films up to that point), he got a bit better in AOTC (despite the awful giggle in that elevator with Anakin) and he was close to being up to par in ROTS.... It took him six years and two movies to find a way out of Lucas' micromanagement style of acting.

Now, there are more directors who do this kind of micromanagement... but they do it because they prolly have been actors themselves and they know what they're talking about.

darthmaul1
I had really wished Maul had stuck around till episode III and then have anakin kill him. Dooku was not needed you had Maul they could of done pretty much the same thing.
Instead of Obi-wan slicing maul in half, maul should of kicked both sabres down the shaft but then you could have obiwan flip over maul and force kick him into the shaft then show Maul slow himself with the force and land then leave.

Sith Master X
Dooku wasn't needed, but I far more enjoyed his character than Darth Maul's. (I know everyone else is gonna disagree with this.) Christopher Lee....is just awesome. But it's a shame we never got to know him that well.

I would have rather seen Dooku as a Villian across all 3 films over Maul, but that's just me. Maul didn't have much to work with, other than the fact that he had great martial arts skills.

I think what would have worked quite well, was to introduce Dooku as sort of a background character in Episode I. Not anything huge, but someone we would remember at least, as a Jedi. Then have him reappear as the villian in Episode II, so the shock value could have been played well from the audience going "hey, I remember him." Would have made more sense then having some guy with gray hair, appear out of nowhere.

And Queeq, if we're to blame GL for all the bad acting...what are we to do with acting like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUBWxiu5cOo Does GL get credit for that? stick out tongue I doubt it, right? lol

~JP~
Dooku wasn't needed, but I far more enjoyed his character than Darth Maul's. (I know everyone else is gonna disagree with this.)

You're right I disagree big time. I hated Dookus character, Maul was a much better villian.

queeq

And Queeq, if we're to blame GL for all the bad acting...what are we to do with acting like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUBWxiu5cOo Does GL get credit for that? stick out tongue I doubt it, right? lol

I dunno... it was sure better than the " my new empire" line... hehehe...

But well, yes, maybe we do. I know Ewan is a great actor, he has done amazing stuff in much smaller films, and in big films.... So why does he suck here occasionally? Good question. But I know the answer: let's blame Lucas. wink

ADarksideJedi
Being that he said very little and had about three lines in the movie.I don't see why they brother to kill him.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by ~JP~
You're right I disagree big time. I hated Dookus character, Maul was a much better villian.

Maul was better IMO, i wish they had kept his double bladed sabre a secret. by not showing it in the trailers or on the toys. it would of been such a cool surprise to see him turn it on for the first time not knowing it was double bladed. as it was it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by queeq
I dunno... it was sure better than the " my new empire" line... hehehe...

But well, yes, maybe we do. I know Ewan is a great actor, he has done amazing stuff in much smaller films, and in big films.... So why does he suck here occasionally? Good question. But I know the answer: let's blame Lucas. wink

What was wrong with those lines?
It sounds just as good as some of the lines from the original trilogy

queeq
Well, for one the delivery...

Sith Master X
Yeah...I like the line alright, but Hayden's acting definitely doesn't shine during the Mustafar scenes.

I really wish the whole "turning to the dark side" thing was done a bit different. This is where I'll gladly start disagreeing with Lucas. lol

I love the movie, but I feel as though Anakin's turn to the dark side had nothing to do with the "dark side." It was all about Padme.

Ok, that's fine, at first...but I feel like we should have seen the Emperor slowly teaching Anakin how to actually use the dark side, and that the power and feeling it gives Anakin becomes similar to an addicting drug. It feels so good that slowly you lose yourself to it until there's no turning back. This would have made Anakin's story more tragic, knowing that the good Jedi inside of him is buried away now because of a seductive power that he lost himself to, not because he's angry at the Jedi and wants to save Padme.

Like I said, at first, saving Padme is fine. It gives him motive to seek this power....but I felt like toward the end of the movie, it shouldn't have even been about Padme anymore. I think she should have approached him on Mustafar, broken hearten and in tears, and as Anakin turns around, it's as if his heart is ice cold and he no longer has any emotional attachment to her or anyone....Because he's the most powerful force user, the dark side completely consumes him to the point now that he is reckless and out of control.
None of that "let's rule the galaxy together as husband and wife" stuff. Anakin want's everything to himself and will do anything at all cost to become more powerful.

Ok...so in a nutshell...lol, I just wanted to see Anakin lose sight of his objectives along the way as he falls to a dark power. It would have been more convincing that Obi-Wan "had to kill him." Because in no where in any of this was I convinced that Anakin had now fallen to the "dark side." One second he's good, then Mace falls out of a window, and now he's on his hands and knees selling his soul to the devil. No no no no no.

queeq
Yupp... we agree.

roughrider
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I had really wished Maul had stuck around till episode III and then have anakin kill him. Dooku was not needed you had Maul they could of done pretty much the same thing.
Instead of Obi-wan slicing maul in half, maul should of kicked both sabres down the shaft but then you could have obiwan flip over maul and force kick him into the shaft then show Maul slow himself with the force and land then leave.

You overlook the fact that Lucas was building towards the idea of Darth Vader with every film; that was the idea with the henchmen, storywise. Darth Maul, Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus, General Grievous - all have an aspect of Vader to them. Maul couldn't be the public face that Dooku was with the Confederacy, or the military leader that Grievous was. And even if he had been around for III, he would have been sacrificed by Palpatine in his long bid to turn Anakin, just as Dooku was. There wouldn't have been this rematch you want.

queeq
Maul served his purpose.

Darth Scorpius
Yep, Anakin Skywalker was probably the weirdest character in all time and when he was played by Hayden, I personally couldn't understand him.

Episode I:Now this Anakin was the best understandable. He was a smart, good kid who does his homework, has a hobby of making droids and dreams of becoming a Jedi. Like a normal kid.

Episode II:Far more complicated Anakin. Now that he's Jedi dream is fulfilled and he is a Padawan, he dreams to be more. He is a Jedi, now he wants to be a bigger Jedi. He wants it quickly, as last time and starts to think Obi-Wan is holding him back. He also falls in love with Padme. Also, since he is clearly superior to the other Jedis, he starts being arrogant.

Episode III:The most complicated Anakin of all, this Anakin fears that somebody could take Padme away from him and that Padme will die and other stuff and starts looking for a way to save Padme and we already know that stuff and he fails, believes Obi-Wan and Padme are having an affair or sth.(Anakin has no brains since he was a kid, probably fell off a tree and landed on his head) and finds out that evil is the answer. Thus he finds new friends when being evil, slices the old ones into pieces(literally) and starts a new life.

Episode IV:Has become an evil mastermind.

Episode Vbig grinedicated himself of finding his son.

Episode VI:Finally knows that everything is Palpatine's fault and finally kills the moron.

darthmaul1
I would of kept Maul all the way till the begining of episode III or even till the jedi show up to arrest Palps and Maul comes out to lend a hand. and just never had Dooku at all.
In EP1 There should of been no light sabre for Obiwan to cut Maul in half with. he could of just jumped over him and force pushed or kicked him into the hole. and Maul could of used the force to slow himself and land at the bottom.

InfernoJG95
perhaps i mean the only flaw with episode II was the only mention of dooku was in the opening scroll and he comes out of nowhere.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I would of kept Maul all the way till the begining of episode III or even till the jedi show up to arrest Palps and Maul comes out to lend a hand. and just never had Dooku at all.
In EP1 There should of been no light sabre for Obiwan to cut Maul in half with. he could of just jumped over him and force pushed or kicked him into the hole. and Maul could of used the force to slow himself and land at the bottom.

lol But this doesn't quite make sense to me.

One of the biggest complaints I hear about the Prequels is that the characters act like robots and not like humans, so therefore the audience can't relate or establish a connection to the character.

Yet, we have Darth Maul...a very non human character with horns on his head who barely speaks at all, he's got paint slobbered all over his face etc...But everyone wanted Maul in the other films and liked him as one of the best characters because he was a "bad ass."

Now, we have a far more compelling, human like character out of Christopher Lee as Count Dooku who actually speaks more than once in the film, and everyone said "he sucks."

I don't know. I can certainly relate more to Dooku's character than I can Maul's. We at least know he was a fallen Jedi. Do we ever even know what Maul was other than the fact that he was just some creepy bad guy with a double lightsaber who the Jedi will be no match for? Nope. smile But, TPM had to have a bad guy. We hadn't establish the Emperor yet so there had to be somebody running around with a red lightsaber so at the end of the movie there could be a lightsaber fight and some action. But I still hear all the time that Maul was the reedeming quality of TPM. Sure. wink

queeq
Problem is though that neither Maul, nor Dooku have much character. Dooku had lots of potential though, and a great actor to play him. And yet, he was hardly used. Mentioned in opening scroll, we don't see him for two hours and then serves as a backdrop for a jumping jack version of Yoda. In EpIII he gets killed of right away. Too bad.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by Wolverine2006
It's a common fact that Star Wars episodes 1-3 were not perfect, and far from it in my opinion. I think it was a complete waste to kill off Darth Maul in the first movie. I think it would have made a much more compelling story if he survived, and took Count Dooku's place for episodes 2, and 3. He would have become more powerful as the movies progressed, and the anger that Obi Wan had towards him for killing his master would be a great story element. A battle in episode 3 with a mature Sith Lord Maul vs Obi Wan and/or Anakin would have been amazing to see, and we would have got to see a lot more of the fan fave Maul. I think it'd be sick to see where his potential would have taken him he was very young, and obviously too cocky for his own good in episode 1. He was just as young as Obi Wan, and look how far Obi Wan progressed through the movies.

I believe GL was trying to make the point that Sidius' apprentices were disposable. He sent Maul to kill QGJ, not OB1. He needed OB1 alive to train Anakin. Then Dooku was another sacrifice to lead Anakin to the dark side, you see Dooku's shocked reaction when Palapatine tells Anakin to kill him. Dooku's like "This wasn't part of the plan, I was just supposed to enrage him.."

Sidius doesn't want a powerful apprentice who can kill him like he killed his master Plagueis, unless he has complete control of that apprentice as he had with Vader. He wanted Anakin as his apprentice from the day he was "born". Sidius manipulated events in Anakin's life to prepare him for apprenticeship and increase his control over the boy in stages over the decades. All the more reason why Vader's attack in RoTJ was unexpected. Sidius expected him to roll over and die just as his other apprentices did.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Kickballjedi
I believe GL was trying to make the point that Sidius' apprentices were disposable. He sent Maul to kill QGJ, not OB1. He needed OB1 alive to train Anakin. No, he didn't. You just made that up.

All the more reason why Vader's attack in RoTJ was unexpected. Sidius expected him to roll over and die just as his other apprentices did. His other apprentices were brutally bisected/decapitated. The first quite unexpectedly. That's hardly rolling over and dieing.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
No, he didn't. You just made that up.

LL, I like your style. Watch the fight closely. I haven't heard the commentary during the Maul duel, but if you watch the fight Maul concentrates on QJG until he kills him. Then it appears he could easily finish OB1, but doesn't. How about a force push while OB1 is hanging helpless from the ledge? How about instead of kicking the light saber over the edge he picks it up and throws it at OB1? It even looks like he realizes OB1's plan to obtain QGJ's saber yet does nothing to stop it. This suggests Sidius didn't want QGJ to train Anakin, so he sent Maul to kill him. He wasn't supposed to kill OB1 because Sidius wanted the reckless, rebel Jedi to train Anakin.

His other apprentices were brutally bisected/decapitated. The first quite unexpectedly. That's hardly rolling over and dieing.

If the theory above is correct, then Maul allowed himself to be killed by OB1. Count Dooku went along with the brilliant plan of allowing OB1 and Anakin to make their way to the "captured" Palpatine. How did Dooku think that would end? I think Dooku could've at least blurted out Sidius' plan before Anakin cut his head off... "Wait Anakin, this man has been manipulating you and trying to turn you to the darkside.." but no. Finally, Vader is laying there with his hand cut off, not 10 feet away when Sidius tells Luke to take his Father's place at his side. Sidius has no respect for his apprentices, he uses them to accomplish his plans then discards them.

Lord Lucien
LL, I like your style. Watch the fight closely. I haven't heard the commentary during the Maul duel, but if you watch the fight Maul concentrates on QJG until he kills him. Then it appears he could easily finish OB1, but doesn't. How about a force push while OB1 is hanging helpless from the ledge? How about instead of kicking the light saber over the edge he picks it up and throws it at OB1? It even looks like he realizes OB1's plan to obtain QGJ's saber yet does nothing to stop it. This suggests Sidius didn't want QGJ to train Anakin, so he sent Maul to kill him. He wasn't supposed to kill OB1 because Sidius wanted the reckless, rebel Jedi to train Anakin. Your speculations about the movie aside, at what point is it ever stated by Sidious or Maul that Qui-Gon was expendable and Obi-Wan required? Maul doesn't realize Obi-Wan's plan, he gets confused at why Obi-Wan is suddenly concentrating--hence the in-universe explanation as to why he didn't see that leap coming. And even if he did realize what was happening, do you really think Maul would be willing to sacrifice himself... so that Obi-Wan could survive to train Anakin... who would replace Maul as Sidious' apprentice... years down the road? That's pretty farsighted and generous of a Sith Lord.

The commentary of the movie and the fans' wishful thinking of the plot and characters don't mean anything to the movie itself.

If the theory above is correct, then Maul allowed himself to be killed by OB1. "If the hypothesis above is correct" is what you mean. A theory has evidence behind it. A hypothesis has speculation. And there's no evidence for "Maul sacrificed himself".

Sidius has no respect for his apprentices, he uses them to accomplish his plans then discards them. Yeah. And there's a difference between having no respect for them or their lives, and expecting them to "roll over and die". None of his apprentices rolled over and died. They all fought long lightsaber battles against experienced opponents and only lost due to arrogance (Maul), and genuinely being defeated (Dooku and Vader). Rolling over and dieing is actually what Luke was doing against Palpatine--incidentally, after he refused to become his apprentice. He didn't even try to fight the Emperor--at least Maul, Dooku, and Vader put up a fight. Luke just let it happen. Like a Jedi. That's the kind of person that Palpatine expected to roll over and die.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Your speculations about the movie aside, at what point is it ever stated by Sidious or Maul that Qui-Gon was expendable and Obi-Wan required? Maul doesn't realize Obi-Wan's plan, he gets confused at why Obi-Wan is suddenly concentrating--hence the in-universe explanation as to why he didn't see that leap coming. And even if he did realize what was happening, do you really think Maul would be willing to sacrifice himself... so that Obi-Wan could survive to train Anakin... who would replace Maul as Sidious' apprentice... years down the road? That's pretty farsighted and generous of a Sith Lord.

Since most of my ideas are based on this theory, I will back it up with canon facts:

1. In RoTS Palpatine explains to Anakin how Darth Plagueis learned to create life using the Force/ Medichlorians. "...so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... "

2. When QGJ meets with the council requesting to train Anakin, he says:
Yoda: A vergence, you say?
Mace Windu: Located around a person?
Qui-Gon Jinn: A boy. His cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have seen in a life-form. It was possible he was concieved by the midi-chlorians.

3. We know that Palpatine was already manipulating events to create the Clone Wars as early as Episode 1 (the Trade Federation Blockade, the order of Clones to produce an army years later). This was his masterplan to eventually become Supreme Emperor of an Empire, set about at least 10 years before events would put him in power.

Why not plan from the boy's birth to eventually make him his apprentice in this new Empire? He knew his master had created the boy, that he would be stronger with the Force than any being ever born (even Yoda). Once he knew who the boy encountered on Tatooine, he saw a chance to have Anakin trained by a rebellious, young inexperienced Jedi in OB1. A Jedi who does not understand the "Living Force" very well per QGJ. But he had to eliminate QGJ so he wouldn't teach the boy. Anakin would be too aware to be fooled by Palpatine's manipulations if QGJ trained him.

Are these sufficient facts to back up my theory ?

queeq
They are not facts, it's all speculation.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by queeq
They are not facts, it's all speculation.

*facedesk*

In that case, can somebody please give another reason why Palpatine would send Maul to Naboo, specifically to start a fight with 2 Jedi, ignore 1 through the entire duel, then just stand around until OB1 came up with a strategy to kill him? At least with my explanation there's a reason why the fight would turn out that way.

If my speculation about Anakin being the person Plagueis created from Midichlorians is not fact, can somebody explain to me why GL would have included the midichlorian dialogue in TPM and RoTS? It seemed perfectly placed to spell out Anakin was this creation.

And if none of this is fact, why would Palpatine have any interest in Anakin at all? He had apprentices, he was gaining the power he needed through political manipulation, who cares about some bratty kid from Tatooine. Yet, for some reason he pulls Anakin aside and tells him the tale of Plagueis the Wise just by coincidence, not because he knows Anakin was created by his old master.

Lord Lucien
*facedesk*

In that case, can somebody please give another reason why Palpatine would send Maul to Naboo, specifically to start a fight with 2 Jedi, ignore 1 through the entire duel, then just stand around until OB1 came up with a strategy to kill him? At least with my explanation there's a reason why the fight would turn out that way.

If my speculation about Anakin being the person Plagueis created from Midichlorians is not fact, can somebody explain to me why GL would have included the midichlorian dialogue in TPM and RoTS? It seemed perfectly placed to spell out Anakin was this creation.

And if none of this is fact, why would Palpatine have any interest in Anakin at all? He had apprentices, he was gaining the power he needed through political manipulation, who cares about some bratty kid from Tatooine. Yet, for some reason he pulls Anakin aside and tells him the tale of Plagueis the Wise just by coincidence, not because he knows Anakin was created by his old master. *facedesk* is right.

You are aware that these movies suck balls, right? And everything you just said is endemic to that suckage. They're awful movies that make no sense. Or were you under the impression that by making up explanations for things the movies never explain, that they somehow became good? All of what you said is speculation, and if it had actually been said by the movies, that'd be great. They'd probably be a little better for it. But none of what you said is actually expressed in the films themselves.

Because they suck.

queeq
I've kinda stopped asking such questions, Kickball, simply because they reveal holes in the plot big enough to drive a truck through.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.