Gladiator vs Nova Prime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nihilist
Who takes it.

"Id"
Gladiator already beat Nova Prime in Nova v2 #1.

Stoic
Originally posted by "Id"
Gladiator already beat Nova Prime in New Warriors.

He did? That surprises me a little, but then again Glads has impressive speed, strength an durability.

carver9
Gladiator... if his cousin could outright destroy Nova (until he used a plot) then I dont see Gladiator losing this fight since he is double her strength, speed, and durability.

Stoic
Originally posted by carver9
Gladiator... if his cousin could outright destroy Nova (until he used a plot) then I dont see Gladiator losing this fight since he is double her strength, speed, and durability.

But I thought their powers work on an emotional level? Couldn't she have been just as powerful as Gladiator if she willed herself to be?

Nihilist
Gladiator... if his cousin could outright destroy Nova (until he used a plot) then I dont see Gladiator losing this fight since he is double her strength, speed, and durability. She didnt destroy him at all, Nova won using his vast abilities and the knowledge of the Worldmind, which he would do here.

carver9
Originally posted by Stoic
But I thought their powers work on an emotional level? Couldn't she have been just as powerful as Gladiator if she willed herself to be?

confused ... NO, Gladiator went through the "Gladiator experiment"... He was the second person to ever survive the experiment which amped him to the levels (planet pushing, planet destroying, solar system blast tanking) that he is at now. At first he had powers but he ranked first out of his crew to be the one person to gain the powers of the Gladiator and after that he was the protector of the shiar empire.

She never went through the treatments that Gladiator went through so she is an average of his race.

Gladiator is twice as strong, probably more than that.

carver9
Originally posted by Nihilist
She didnt destroy him at all, Nova won using his vast abilities and the knowledge of the Worldmind, which he would do here.

He will not have the chance to do that... Gladiator isnt his cousin, he try to end the fight immediately.

Nihilist
He will not have the chance to do that... Gladiator isnt his cousin, he try to end the fight immediately. Like he did against is cousin who bested him, who Nova beat, and you act as if Nova slow.

dmills
Gladiator already beat Nova Prime in Nova v2 #1. No. They stalemated. Nova oneshotted him later on in that same comic -Though to be fair Glads wasn't expecting it-. Nova is much more powerful now.

Nihilist
Originally posted by dmills
No. They stalemated. Nova oneshotted him later on in that same comic -Though to be fair Glads wasn't expecting it-. Nova is much more powerful now. Yeah is more powerful and is more battle savy now then he ever was.

Rage.Of.Olympus
No. They stalemated. Nova oneshotted him later on in that same comic -Though to be fair Glads wasn't expecting it-. Nova is much more powerful now.

I think it was made pretty clear that Gladiator was beyond Nova in power but Nova did really well.

I don't however recall Nova ever one shotting Gladiator. As a matter of fact, I don't remember Nova ever managing to do any harm to Gladiator at all under his own power. He even flew at Gladiator and simply bounced off his chest, hurting himself.

He was able to absorb the power of Gladiator's heat vision, turning it back on him combined with his own power I believe in one huge blast. But, it only managed to stun him and I think did more of a number on Nova than it did on Gladiator.

dmills
Yeah is more powerful and is more battle savy now then he ever was. Believe it or not DnA write a fairly conservative Nova imo. I think it's because they focus more on the Sci-fi aspects of the character where as in his second series Nicieza and Marrinan (and later on Eric Larsen in the 3rd series) seemed to emphasize the super hero aspect of the character. They focused on his struggle to balance his dynamic use of the Nova force which is why one minute he struggles to absorb Gladiator's eye beams and by the end of the series he's absorbing enough energy to light up the solar system. One minute he's getting his ass kicked by class 100's, the next he oneshots them. He unleashed his powers a lot more back then.

dmills
Anyway as for this battle, I see Nova 6/10 because of his power set, but you could prolly argue Glads 6/10 and I really wouldn't care. Close call imo and not really worth an extensive debate.

carver9
Like he did against is cousin who bested him, who Nova beat, and you act as if Nova slow.

Show me this because his cousin isnt CLOSE to what he is power wise... It was stated on panel.

carver9
Anyway as for this battle, I see Nova 6/10 because of his power set, but you could prolly argue Glads 6/10 and I really wouldn't care. Close call imo and not really worth an extensive debate.

You might want to change this... I would say Gladiator at least 7 or 8/10 and thats being generous.

dmills
Of course YOU would say this. I had already discounted your opinion when I said that. Nobody saavy is gonna pick Glads to beat Nova Prime 80% of the time. Especially nowadays.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Glads to beat Nova Prime 80% of the time. Especially nowadays.

carver9
Of course YOU would say this. I had already discounted your opinion when I said that. Nobody saavy is gonna pick Glads to beat Nova Prime 80% of the time. Especially nowadays.

Why not nowadays since BOTH of them have received upgrades? The thing about this is Glads SOLOED the entire Nova corps by himself and one of the members had the powers of Nova (he wasnt as experienced though).

Then we have someone far weaker than Gladiator (his cousin) giving Nova a fight and actually had the advantage until she was plotted to lose.

For one, I cant see that trick working on Gladiator except maybe twice and another, that is the ONLY way Nova can pull a victory against Gladiator, who is his superior in every fashion.

What ways is nova beating Gladiator and dont use the gravity crap because Gladiator has already dealt with similar attacks and done just fine.

"Id"
Seems clear that Gladiator had him dead to rights at the end. Though he did put up a good fight.

dmills
What upgrade did Glads recieve? When?

Rage.Of.Olympus
^None that I'm aware of. I guess you can call the fact that he went from being not too far above Colossus level, and now is considered one of the big boys and tussels with Hulk/Thor after Claremont stopped using him an upgrade.

Gladiator wins this in a straight power vs. power fight.

vansonbee
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Glads to beat Nova Prime 80% of the time. Especially nowadays. Totally agree with this verdict. thumb up

No bias shit ever comes from Rage.Of.Olympus.

Rage.Of.Olympus
thumb up

carver9
^None that I'm aware of. I guess you can call the fact that he went from being not too far above Colossus level, and now is considered one of the big boys and tussels with Hulk/Thor after Claremont stopped using him an upgrade.

Gladiator wins this in a straight power vs. power fight.

LOL... He was never on Colossus level... back then Colossus gave EVERYONE a fight that he ran across... the character in of itself was over hyped (back then).

But even during those times Gladiator gave Thor, Hulk, along with everyone that came his way a fight but again, from what I have been seeing of him, he has been upgraded. Hell, on numerous of occasions he has recently been called one of the most powerful beings in the universe and in his bio in the marvel encyclopedia he is consider the one of the most powerful beings in MU.

He has been upgraded and NUMEROUS of his recent showings proves this.

By the way, I think current Glads would rip Thor a new one.

"Id"

I don't however recall Nova ever one shotting Gladiator. As a matter of fact, I don't remember Nova ever managing to do any harm to Gladiator at all under his own power. He even flew at Gladiator and simply bounced off his chest, hurting himself.

He is referring to the sucker punch, and the very end before he jetted off.... Thats not exactly one-shooting Gladiator.

dmills
@ID,

You read the scans from Glads respect thread?
He recovered before Nova yes. But if you read the entire comic you'd have seen him lay Glads flat out after his little chat with Adora and Saal.

carver9
What upgrade did Glads recieve? When?

He received the a** whippin upgrade. His recent showings is amazing. He basically soloed the entire army that was came for and tried to over take the shiar empire. He soloed the nova corpse... he soloed the xmen... one shotted Rachel, etc....

carver9
@ID,

You read the scans from Glads respect thread?
He recovered before Nova yes. But if you read the entire comic you'd have seen him lay Glads flat out after his little chat with Adora and Saal.

Scans because again, Gladiator in that fight was far above Nova... Nova even admits this during the fight "Not him... Gladiator is one of the strongest lugnut in the universe."

dmills
@Carver,

Typical Newbie hyperbole and respect. He prolly said something similar when he fought Thor back in the day.

"Id"

dmills
He received the a** whippin upgrade. His recent showings is amazing. He basically soloed the entire army that was came for and tried to over take the shiar empire. He soloed the nova corpse... he soloed the xmen... one shotted Rachel, etc.... He never soloed the Nova corps and I can't recall him oneshotting Rachel either. I remember him breaking out of her little mind illusion but that's all.

carver9
@Carver,

Typical Newbie hyperbole and respect. He prolly said something similar when he fought Thor back in the day.

Can you show me him saying that about someone else?

carver9
He never soloed the Nova corps and I can't recall him oneshotting Rachel either. I remember him breaking out of her little mind illusion but that's all.

I'm pretty sure he soloed the Nova Corps and it ended with him having one of them in the choke hold.

He oneshotted Rachel during the time they were in space fighting... he knocked her out also during the time he broke free of her mind control (I think)...

Rage.Of.Olympus
LOL... He was never on Colossus level... back then Colossus gave EVERYONE a fight that he ran across... the character in of itself was over hyped (back then).

But even during those times Gladiator gave Thor, Hulk, along with everyone that came his way a fight but again, from what I have been seeing of him, he has been upgraded. Hell, on numerous of occasions he has recently been called one of the most powerful beings in the universe and in his bio in the marvel encyclopedia he is consider the one of the most powerful beings in MU.

He has been upgraded and NUMEROUS of his recent showings proves this.

By the way, I think current Glads would rip Thor a new one.

Eh? Gladiator was obviously operating on a lower scale during that era. At least in terms of formidability when it mattered. Claremont even had Corsair one shot him with a single blast from his personal hand gun.

What the f*ck are you talking about? I can't recall Gladiator receiving even a single upgrade. Your just being a fickle f*ck as usual. You thought Bill was > Thor because he busted some planets in Stormbreaker.

By the way, I think your a bit loony.

dmills

Rage.Of.Olympus
He is referring to the sucker punch, and the very end before he jetted off.... Thats not exactly one-shooting Gladiator.

Hold on. I'm going to find and re-read the issue.

dmills
@Carver,

Wait, aren't you the same dude that thought that Tarcel was Nova? I could swear that was you.

dmills
Can you show me him saying that about someone else? Man are you high? A) It doesn't matter much and B) it's a complete waste of time.

I brb. Gotta go get my kids from school.

"Id"
Hold on. I'm going to find and re-read the issue.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5742/novav200136rougher.th.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5742/novav200136rougher.jpg

carver9
Eh? Gladiator was obviously operating on a lower scale during that era. At least in terms of formidability when it mattered. Claremont even had Corsair one shot him with a single blast from his personal hand gun.

What the f*ck are you talking about? I can't recall Gladiator receiving even a single upgrade. Your just being a fickle f*ck as usual. You thought Bill was > Thor because he busted some planets in Stormbreaker.

By the way, I think your a bit loony.

LOL... Rage, I never said that Bill>Thor, what I did say is that Bill currently have better showings than Thor and he does.

I dont think Gladiator was on a lower scale, I just think that the writer didnt care too much about the character and downplayed him a bit but again, the Colossus back then was easily top tier.

You could be right, Gladiator might didnt receive an upgrade, I just think he received respectable writers that is doing him some justice, so again, you could be right.

I agree, I can be a little loony sometimes but if you want reasons on why I say things I say, I dont mind providing them.

Rage.Of.Olympus
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5742/novav200136rougher.jpg

Haha, that's a one shot? I don't think Dmill knows what that phrase means.

He knocked Gladiator off his feet with a sucker punch.

If Gladiator braced himself, Nova would have just hurt himself.'

Thanks by the way.

dmills
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5742/novav200136rougher.jpg thumb up ok you actually read it. Cool beans.

dmills
Haha, that's a one shot? I don't think Dmill knows what that phrase means.

He knocked Gladiator off his feet with a sucker punch.

If Gladiator braced himself, Nova would have just hurt himself.'

Thanks by the way.

If my aunt had a package she'd be my uncle. He knocked him on his ass and clowned him afterwards.

LOL at this shyte. "If he braced himself"

Rage.Of.Olympus
LOL... Rage, I never said that Bill>Thor, what I did say is that Bill currently have better showings than Thor and he does.

I dont think Gladiator was on a lower scale, I just think that the writer didnt care too much about the character and downplayed him a bit but again, the Colossus back then was easily top tier.

You could be right, Gladiator might didnt receive an upgrade, I just think he received respectable writers that is doing him some justice, so again, you could be right.

I agree, I can be a little loony sometimes but if you want reasons on why I say things I say, I dont mind providing them.

Oh, you most definitely said Bill > Thor. Your fickle like that. It's fine. Plenty of people are like that. I'm a bit like that sometimes if I don't catch myself.

He was lower down the food chain. Hahaha. Colossus a Top Tier? Now your just making shit up. I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept this. It doesn't really matter. This was like decades ago. His standing has changed. When people think of him, they think Thor and the Hulk, not Colossus. Claremont simply wrote a weaker Gladiator. He was the one who had Gambit knock out Gladiator with a deck of cards.

Hahaha. I love you Carter.

dmills
Anyway as I said. Nova wins 6/10 imo. But I won't trip if someone said Glads would win a close battle. But I'm sorry, you -to put it lightly-belong in a soft padded room if you think Nova is getting stomped in this fight. It's just not even a reasonable position to take at this point.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Nova is getting stomped in this fight. It's just a reasonable position to take at this point.

dmills
Oh, you most definitely said Bill > Thor. Your fickle like that. It's fine. Plenty of people are like that. I'm a bit like that sometimes if I don't catch myself.

He was lower down the food chain. Hahaha. Colossus a Top Tier? Now your just making shit up. I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept this. It doesn't really matter. This was like decades ago. His standing has changed. When people think of him, they think Thor and the Hulk, not Colossus. Claremont simply wrote a weaker Gladiator. He was the one who had Gambit knock out Gladiator with a deck of cards.

Hahaha. I love you Carter. The only thing he is correct about is Glads having respectable writers currently. Or better put, writers that respect him. DnA write Strontians as damned near invincible beings durability wise.

dmills
You can shadow box my quotes all you want, you're still wrong.

dmills
Originally posted by vansonbee
Totally agree with this verdict. thumb up

No bias shit ever comes from Rage.Of.Olympus.

shit

whistle

If my aunt had a package she'd be my uncle. He knocked him on his ass and clowned him afterwards.

LOL at this shyte. "If he braced himself" but there was no ko, so he wasnt really one-shotted

mohawks are also much cooler than pony tails

dmills
Originally posted by 753
but there was no ko, so he wasnt really one-shotted

mohawks are also much cooler than pony tails Ok. He put him on his ass with a punch. Is that better?

And please don't tell me that you go with the whole "If he braced himself" theory.

Can't disagree with that. The red mullet ponytail/thing was awful. Even for the 90's.

Ok. He put him on his ass with a single punch. Is that better? just saying it..

Rage.Of.Olympus

LOL at this shyte. "If he braced himself"

erm

If he braced himself or at least saw it coming, Nova wouldn't have done shit to Gladiator.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Jonathanos/Gladiator/Nova02.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Jonathanos/Gladiator/Nova03.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Jonathanos/Gladiator/Nova04.jpg
Thanks to Jon.

Not that he accomplished anything there anyway.

It's pretty likely that Nova had the effect that he had because it was a sucker punch. And that was in no way a one shot. Gladiator was knocked off his feet.

dmills
erm

If he braced himself or at least saw it coming, Nova wouldn't have done shit to Gladiator.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Jonathanos/Gladiator/Nova02.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Jonathanos/Gladiator/Nova03.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Jonathanos/Gladiator/Nova04.jpg
Thanks to Jon.

Not that he accomplished anything there anyway.

ermIf he saw it coming? Nova got right up in his face.

What happened happened though. The scans don't contradict that. Nova simply could have turned it up a notch. Something he did regularly during that run. Bottomline is it happend.

He made his point.

K champ. We've already established that it wasn't a oneshot.

Sr J-Bieb
That Nova pretty much stalemated Gladiator anyway. He got the end blast in there too which was pretty effective.

dmills
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
That Nova pretty much stalemated Gladiator anyway. He got the end blast in there too which was pretty effective.

Apparently that's not so...Apparent.

Sr J-Bieb
Apparently that's not so...Apparent.

Nova starts headbutting Glads until he loses confidence.

Rage.Of.Olympus
ermIf he saw it coming? Nova got right up in his face.

What happened happened though. The scans don't contradict that. Nova simply could have turned it up a notch. Something he did regularly during that run. Bottomline is it happend.

He made his point.

no expression

Why do people think that just because your face to face with someone, they can't take you by surprise? Nova was smiling at Gladiator in one panel jokingly and was punching him in the next. It was a sucker shot. Gladiator didn't expect it.

Oh, you'd like that.

Don't see how that's relevant. I don't care what they were fighting about.

K champ. We've already established that it wasn't a oneshot.

Just wanted that to be clear.

dmills
Nova starts headbutting Glads until he loses confidence.

LOL. Not that he'd need to, but yeah that's one way.

Nova has a pretty decisive advantage in terms of energy output and overall versatility IMO. Glads biggest asset is his physical strength. That won't help him much. Nova's not being beat with strength alone. He's too durable, has sick damage soak and his shields. The heat vision won't do squat and he won't be able to speed blitz cause Nova's damn fast himself.

dmills
no expression

Why do people think that just because your face to face with someone, they can't take you by surprise? Nova was smiling at Gladiator in one panel jokingly and was punching him in the next. It was a sucker shot. Gladiator didn't expect it.

Oh, you'd like that.

Don't see how that's relevant. I don't care what they were fighting about.

Just wanted that to be clear. Um, prolly because if you'd just finished trying to kill someone, you'd be a little on guard if they got up in your face no?

I'll return later. Peace.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Richard's was smiling. When I first read the issue I doubt I saw it coming. Gladiator's also an arrogant little prick. I bet he didn't think Richard had the balls to do that.

IRCC, Gladiator was there to train and assess him. Not kill him.

dmills
He was there to assess him alright. And if he killed him in there process, so be it! They stopped it before he could attempt the coup de grace, but he definately wasn't holding back.

Nova starts headbutting Glads until he loses confidence. whos' that in your picture?

Nihilist
Show me this because his cousin isnt CLOSE to what he is power wise... It was stated on panel. It was in a Nova War of Kings crossover, she made Glads look like a chump.

Glads is too one dimensional for this fight.

dmills
Carver is making the Xenith Nova fight sound like Nova struggled. He was on his computer while she was hitting him lol! That is lulz worthy. Bottomline, She got KTFO.

celeyhyga17
Nova Prime wins this.. 6.5/10
too much shielding for Gladz to get through and too much versatility...

carver9
Gladiator 8/10.

Stronger, faster, more durable and can take basically anything Nova throws at him.

GalacticStorm
Im just amazed at how underpowered Nova comes across considering he wields the full Nova Force. A standard member of the Nova Corps is hardly a pushover and are quite capable beings. Considering the Nova Force empowered hundreds or maybe even thousands of them, you'd think he'd at least be beyond herald level. confused

Oh well roll eyes (sarcastic)

dmills
Gladiator 8/10.

Stronger, faster, more durable and can take basically anything Nova throws at him. No. I'll give you the strength argument. I ain't giving you faster or more durable and I damn sure ain't giving you 8/10. That's moronic.

carver9
No. I'll give you the strength argument. I ain't giving you faster or more durable and I damn sure ain't giving you 8/10. That's moronic.

Why not more durable? Are you referring to his shields surviving a solar system destroying blast? Well Gladiator didnt even have shields up and he tanked the same type of blast that hit him directly in the face.

Faster? What speed feats does Nova have besides space flight? I can show you Gladiator blitzing someone and it states that he is blitzing at near light speed along with other speed feats. What speed feats do you have from Nova besides his fight against Drax?

Black bolt z
Glads is more powerful but if nova can fight smartly he can win.

dmills
As far as reaction time and flight speed? Funny that we're discussing this because he out quicked your boy Glads and then snatched him by his cape during their fight lol.

dmills
As far as speed there's the standard stuff. Flying at FTL speeds, moving at reacting at super speed etc. Celey has the scan of him and some Corpsmen beating the serpent society in like a second.

carver9
As far as reaction time and flight speed? Funny that we're discussing this because he out quicked your boy Glads and then snatched him by his cape during their fight lol.

It was pretty obvious that Gladiator was toying with him. Besides space flight, do you have ANYTHING combat wise showing super speed.

Things like this...

http://img5.imageshack.us/f/71744606.jpg/
http://img19.imageshack.us/f/65500345.jpg/

or this...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/Enteithegreat/Imperial%20Guard/Kallark-ReacttoBullet.jpg

Nihilist
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
too much shielding for Gladz to get through and too much versatility... thumb up

Black bolt z
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
too much shielding for Gladz to get through and too much versatility...

WhiteWitchKing
Well, I'm convinced. Gladiator wins this 7/10. Kallark is just much stronger and faster than Nova Prime.

dmills
^^^Grav Manipulation > Super Strength.

Bentley
Gladiator one-shots Nova.

dmills
So let me get this straight. Glads couldn't oneshot Nova back when he was less powerful and less experienced will oneshot him now that he's more powerful and more experienced?

K champ.

Rage.Of.Olympus
It's pretty obvious Gladiator was using only around 20% of his strength.

^^^Grav Manipulation > Super Strength.

O rly?

Rage.Of.Olympus
He was there to assess him alright. And if he killed him in there process, so be it! They stopped it before he could attempt the coup de grace, but he definately wasn't holding back.

Prove it brah.

dmills
It's pretty obvious Gladiator was using only around 20% of his strength.

O rly?

no expression Is there a full moon out tonight?

Rage.Of.Olympus
sad I'd thought that would get some rant out of you.

I'm just f*cking with you man.

dmills
deleted.

dmills
sad I'd thought that would get some rant out of you.

I'm just f*cking with you man. Nah I'm chillin'. You'za fool lol.

Rage.Of.Olympus
But I'm your fool. love

Prep-Man
Nova. Solid majority/

dmills
But I'm your fool. love Wait I got someone you should meet...

Oh Amnesia...

dmills
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Nova. Solid majority/ By solid you mean???

Prep-Man
7/10.

BattleMage
C'mon now

dmills
Originally posted by BattleMage
C'mon now What? I meant it. If 4 pages of people said Glads 6/10 I'd be cool with that. Scouts honor.

embarrasment

vansonbee
Originally posted by BattleMage
C'mon now thumb up

What? I meant it. If 4 pages of people said Glads 6/10 I'd be cool with that. Scouts honor.

embarrasment Scouts are teaching you guys to lie these days? sick

D_Dude1210
Well, since Nova now has a viable tactic (via psi-helmet headbutt) to neutralize Glad's abilities, I don't see why he doesn't win 6/10 at least.

Bentley
So let me get this straight. Glads couldn't oneshot Nova back when he was less powerful and less experienced will oneshot him now that he's more powerful and more experienced?

K champ.

I'm just messing with you big grin

dmills
Oh buddy, you and the rage are sooo phucked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.