Seth Vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/11352/615518-odinseth.jpg

zopzop
Ah, that's the "infamous" issue where "long dead suns were igniting!" and "galaxies were crumbling" but the only thing shown on panel was a bearhug?

I say Thanos, because Seth is laughable.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by zopzop
Ah, that's the "infamous" issue where "long dead suns were igniting!" and "galaxies were crumbling" but the only thing shown on panel was a bearhug?

I say Thanos, because Seth is laughable. seth jobbs but this is non jobbing seth, also all that was happening because of the energy and reality warping released in the battle

zopzop
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
seth jobbs but this is non jobbing seth, also all that was happening because of the energy and reality warping released in the battle

Yeah but all i saw on panel was them hugging each other.

Colossus-Big C
you didnt read the comic

zopzop
you didnt read the comic

Actually I did. What was said by the narrator didn't match what was shown on panel.

Galaxy destroying bearhug for the win! I'm still giving this to Thanos.

vansonbee
Seth for high majority.

amnesia
Actually I did. What was said by the narrator didn't match what was shown on panel.

Galaxy destroying bearhug for the win! I'm still giving this to Thanos.

It might LOOK like a slugfest. But it wasn't. Mere mortal minds couldn't comprehend it.

cdtm
Going with the galaxy busting bearhug. rolling on floor laughing

King Castle
its what usually happens when fighting in a plane of existence, it tends to effect the lower planes.

i dont by the feat in itself but of the location where the battle took place.

zopzop
Originally posted by amnesia
It might LOOK like a slugfest. But it wasn't. Mere mortal minds couldn't comprehend it.

That would make sense if what was narrated matched what was on panel. Long dead suns re-igniting! Distant galaxies crumbling! But all I saw was a lot of man-hugs and wrastlin'.

amnesia
Your mortal eyes didn't comprehend it.

Omega Vision
That would make sense if what was narrated matched what was on panel. Long dead suns re-igniting! Distant galaxies crumbling! But all I saw was a lot of man-hugs and wrastlin'.
There was also a battle between Odin and Dormammu that appeared as a Chess match to mortal eyes. It's called a metaphor.

zopzop
Originally posted by Omega Vision
There was also a battle between Odin and Dormammu that appeared as a Chess match to mortal eyes. It's called a metaphor.

Actually that's how Thor saw it no? He's not exactly mortal. And nowhere was it mentioned that galaxies were being destroyed because Dormammu and Odin were having it out.

Omega Vision
Actually that's how Thor saw it no? He's not exactly mortal. And nowhere was it mentioned that galaxies were being destroyed because Dormammu and Odin were having it out.
I don't recall who it was that witnessed the Chess match/battle, but it was clear that the Chess match was just a metaphor for the actual battle with Odin and Dormammu acting as agents of Order and Chaos respectively.

My point was that what you see isn't necessarily what's happening. It was a higher plane conflict which had effects on the lower planes.

If you can't accept that then there's really nothing more for us to discuss.

Seth wins.

zopzop
I don't recall who it was that witnessed the Chess match/battle

It was clearly Thor who witnessed it but didn't understand what was going on. Thor's not mortal maybe he's just slow for a god?

Yes and my point is, if the narrator is saying one thing and what's being depicted by the artist is showing another, I'm gonna have to go with the artist's take, since the narrator could be engaging in hyperbole.

Omega Vision
It was clearly Thor who witnessed it but didn't understand what was going on. Thor's not mortal maybe he's just slow for a god?

He's not on Dormammu or Odin's level so it's not entirely implausible that he could be unable to comprehend their battle.

It sounds to me like you're ignoring the writer's intent. Writers direct the artist, not the other way around.

Colossus-Big C
zop clearly doest understand.

if the narrator says something is happening and it doesnt show, its probably not conceivable to the human mind thus cant be drawn
these guys were probably fighting in multiple planes ( 3D 4D 5D Astral Plane etc) most likely that cant be drawn
this is probably why the multiverse was effected

zopzop
He's not on Dormammu or Odin's level so it's not entirely implausible that he could be unable to comprehend their battle.

Makes sense, seeing as how Thor isn't anywhere near their level in power.

Then the writer should have double checked the artist's work. Because the narration didn't match what was shown on panel. And hyperbole isn't uncommon in comics.

zopzop
zop clearly doest understand.

I understand just fine Colossus. I can show you multiple instances where the writer/narrator was saying "galaxies crumble" and it was shown on panel. Hell just check and see what Vulcan did with the Phoenix Force (with Jean secretly holding him back) in What If : Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire.

What was shown in that Seth/Odin throw down didn't match up with the narration, AT ALL.

King Castle
i'll go with thanos ftw.

Utrigita
Makes sense, seeing as how Thor isn't anywhere near their level in power.

Then the writer should have double checked the artist's work. Because the narration didn't match what was shown on panel. And hyperbole isn't uncommon in comics.

So you would like every cosmic battle in which the Narrator is mentioning the collateral damage to have the visual portraition as was shown in Mephisto vs Galactus?

Don't get me wrong I'm finding the whole battle between the two to be a little strange myself, tearing at the fabric of the multiverse is what springs to mind the most.

zopzop
Originally posted by Utrigita
So you would like every cosmic battle in which the Narrator is mentioning the collateral damage to have the visual portraition as was shown in Mephisto vs Galactus?

In a word? Yes.

How else are we supposed to differentiate between hyperbole and what really went down?

Omega Vision
In a word? Yes.

How else are we supposed to differentiate between hyperbole and what really went down?
Using imagination perhaps and considering that maybe what appears to be and what actually is aren't the same thing? In a battle between Gods and/or Cosmics expecting them to fight with big energy blasts is just stupid. That's why Marvel The End utterly failed. It was just a bunch of guys blasting a guy, hardly an epic showdown for the fate of reality.

Utrigita
In a word? Yes.

I think we need to take a long hard look at every incident including Narratation and from that draw a conclusion on whether we actually think it happened or not and such a thing can only be done by drawing in continuity. For instance Spiderman mentioning Sentry stalemating Galactus is given what Sentry have shown highly unlikely, but Odin who (in the silver age atleast) was shown iirc on panel to as a side effect of his battle destroy Galaxies is more likely to have accomplished the same again.

anyways it's a resume of a discussion I've had with Galan previously.

zopzop
Originally posted by Utrigita
I think we need to take a long hard look at every incident including Narratation and from that draw a conclusion on whether we actually think it happened or not and such a thing can only be done by drawing in continuity. For instance Spiderman mentioning Sentry stalemating Galactus is given what Sentry have shown highly unlikely, but Odin who (in the silver age atleast) was shown iirc on panel to as a side effect of his battle destroy Galaxies is more likely to have accomplished the same again.

anyways it's a resume of a discussion I've had with Galan previously.

Odin, Zeus and Vishnu kneeled before Arshiem because their combined power was as nothing before him. Yet Arshiem hasn't been shown "busting galaxies", not even close. And I'm to believe that a slapfest between Odin and Seth ignited stars and destroyed galaxies, while shaking the multiverse because the narrator said so (without visual proof from the artist)? No way.

PS I think most of those galaxy busting feats were ret-conned away.

Colossus-Big C
zeus and vishnu most likely can bust galaxys also or near that powerful celestials have infinit power on a universal scale
so of course skyfathers cant compare

Utrigita
Odin, Zeus and Vishnu kneeled before Arshiem because their combined power was as nothing before him. Yet Arshiem hasn't been shown "busting galaxies", not even close. And I'm to believe that a slapfest between Odin and Seth ignited stars and destroyed galaxies, while shaking the multiverse because the narrator said so (without visual proof from the artist)? No way.

PS I think most of those galaxy busting feats were ret-conned away.

No he hasn't the cosmic cube Kubik however have pointed out that the Celestial posesses power far beyond his universal reality warping abilities. Also it is possible that at that point of time Odin, Zeus and Vishnu was already depowered, iirc they only produced enough to knock a planet out of it's orbit, that however is also a bit shabby since that would place their combined might around high herald level. And I'm not asking you to believe in the current incident, I don't believe in it myself either, I'm merely pointing out that the line of thought with always placing the narrator's words next to the word hyperbole isn't a correct assesment from my point of view.

Could be can't recall, the entire retcon of Odin's silver age have always seemed rather strange to me.

Colossus-Big C

PS I think most of those galaxy busting feats were ret-conned away. why would it be retconned? othe skyfather levels have busted galaxys
surtur, ymir, mephisto, seth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.