original or extended??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

colossulrage
which version do you prefer the normal or extended cut of the movies?

SnakeEyes
Extended all the way baby!

-Pr-
Extended. So much more complete as a saga, and they even fleshed out the action scenes to boot...

colossulrage
Ya but i like all the new parts except gandalf vs witch king. such B.S.! My fav is either the black speach in rivendell or the mouth of sauron

Rapscallion
the theatrical cuts i would say are objectively better films in terms of pacing, narrative flow, and general story-telling, particularly for people who aren't already fans.

However, given the nature of the series, and that it is a saga that is episodic, for someone like myself who is a fan, i almost always watch the extended edition because of the added richness of place and character. The sacrifice of narrative pull in exchange for narrative richness is one i would make for LOTR that i wouldn't for a different franchise like Indiana Jones or Batman or James Bond.

so short answer: they both have their merits and i love them both.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Rapscallion
the theatrical cuts i would say are objectively better films in terms of pacing, narrative flow, and general story-telling, particularly for people who aren't already fans.

I disagree, there were some things in the theatrical cuts that didn't make sense, but when you watch the extended it does. Like how Galdalf didn't have is staff in the final battle. and (if i get the names wrong im sorry) eowin and Farimir coming together. and seeing Saraman die.

The extended films are way better. it is still very well paced and when they go through moria it show more so it takes longer, and you get they felling they are down there for days. not just what seems a couple of hours in the regular cut.

Bar-en-Danwedh
Extended....

11 and a half hours of awesomeness.

But just remember to have a physiotherapist on stand by if you're intending to marathon it so that you can be rehabilitated into walking again.

Bleachboy
Since i bought the Extended editions i choose the extended. It feels much more complete. I now have a clear consience i have no more questions. I now know where they all get there cloaks, daggers and weapons from. I knew they got it from Galadriel, but now they included every introduction of every cloak/daggers/weapons.

Exabyte
I haven't seen the original version except for a few times in theatres (looong ago). One of the most important scenes they lack is Faramir plagiarising Sam's thoughts (from the book) about the dead Southron.

The Rover
Originally posted by Exabyte
I haven't seen the original version except for a few times in theatres (looong ago). One of the most important scenes they lack is Faramir plagiarising Sam's thoughts (from the book) about the dead Southron.

It's probably not a good thing - it's maybe a tad extreme - but I actually refuse to watch the theatrical cuts...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.