Captain America's shield VS Wonder Woman's bracers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AsbestosFlaygon
Which is more durable?

Q99
To my knowledge, CA's shield has been dented (if incredibly rarely), and WW's bracers never have.

They're both effectively indestructible even by the standards of comics indestructible stuff, but there's a small difference.

Juk3n
Magic > physics

Omega Vision
Bracers. Though that's because they're mystical in nature. In practical terms it would be hard to tell the difference since no one under Skyfather is going to have a prayer of breaking them.

twizzlers713
you gotta mess with the molecular structure of the shield. as previously stated, magic > physics

Rage.Of.Olympus
The shield.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Bracers. Though that's because they're mystical in nature. In practical terms it would be hard to tell the difference since no one under Skyfather is going to have a prayer of breaking them.

Superman's skyfather level now? Well, I guess that stance would help you sleep at night.

Oak Parker
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
The shield.

Superman's skyfather level now? Well, I guess that stance would help you sleep at night. Superman has never dented or broken the bracers.

Stoic
Did Superman crush one of them when they fought? I'm referring to the time that Maxwell Lord took possession of Superman. The US Shield was rumpled by incredible forces generated by RK Thor. wasn't it? It was the Rune King right?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Oak Parker
Superman has never dented or broken the bracers.

According to Wonder Woman he would have soon done so in the fight where Circe transformed him.

He broke them in the -now possible- future where Batman/Superman were the leaders of the world.

Oak Parker
According to Wonder Woman he would have soon done so in the fight where Circe transformed him.

He broke them in the -now possible- future where Batman/Superman were the leaders of the world. He was magically infused and had an amp. Superman is already top of the food chain super hero. Super heroes often talk to themselves to make the situation more dire. Superman did not break the bracers and he wouldn't have. Even Amped. Even Ares could not break the Bracers and he is far beyond Superman. Also, I don't count possible futures. Unless we know what transpired in between times. Like if Zeus removed the enchantment on her bracers. She may have had on regular bracers like the ones most of the Amazons where. Plus Wonder Woman has lightning powers. She didn't have them in that story. So that future is pretty much impossible.

Rage.Of.Olympus
He was magically infused and had an amp.

Where was this stated? Do I have a page missing in my comic? I thought it was made pretty clear that all Circe did was bring out the rage and so on -from OWAW- outward. He resembled what he felt inside. There was absolutely no mention of an amp as I recall. None at all.

Superman's change was purely cosmetic along with some mental manipulation.

Superman is already top of the food chain super hero. Super heroes often talk to themselves to make the situation more dire. Superman did not break the bracers and he wouldn't have. Even Amped. Even Ares could not break the Bracers and he is far beyond Superman.

This is just typical butt hurt whining. Next.

Also, I don't count possible futures. Unless we know what transpired in between times. Like if Zeus removed the enchantment on her bracers. She may have had on regular bracers like the ones most of the Amazons where. Plus Wonder Woman has lightning powers. She didn't have them in that story. So that future is pretty much impossible.

This wasn't just an alternate time line. This was the future which is why I've seen people use that story as evidence or a source of feats.

Lulz. Now your just grasping at straws.

Uh what? Lightning powers? Hold on, are you saying since she didn't throw around lightning in that story it's not valid? The same lightning that was recently revealed under Gail?

no expression

Prep-Man
Didn't the bracelts block the Godwave? Yeah, I'll go with her.

Rage.Of.Olympus
God Wave? When? Never heard of this.

Oak Parker
Where was this stated? Do I have a page missing in my comic? I thought it was made pretty clear that all Circe did was bring out the rage and so on -from OWAW- outward. He resembled what he felt inside. There was absolutely no mention of an amp as I recall. None at all.

Superman's change was purely cosmetic along with some mental manipulation.

This is just typical butt hurt whining. Next.

This wasn't just an alternate time line. This was the future which is why I've seen people use that story as evidence or a source of feats.

Lulz. Now your just grasping at straws.

Uh what? Lightning powers? Hold on, are you saying since she didn't throw around lightning in that story it's not valid? The same lightning that was recently revealed under Gail?

no expression I don't get the hostility or the butt hurt whining part but, ok. It doesn't matter because the bracers have not been broken. Future timelines do not count. Not unless someone from the present goes there and experiences it. Then it counts for that person only.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I don't get the hostility or the butt hurt whining part but, ok. It doesn't matter because the bracers have not been broken. Future timelines do not count. Not unless someone from the present goes there and experiences it. Then it counts for that person only.

What's not to get? If your feelings were hurt, you have my sincere apologizes.

Okay, you obviously aren't understanding me. This was the future. Wonder Woman herself new that something was wrong and this was not how things were meant to turn out as I recall which is why she assembled her team. Superman, Batman and the Legion all remember these events I'm pretty sure. It happened. It might not be the most solid evidence but it sure as hell is more conclusive than secondary evidence.

Wonder Woman admitting that Superman would have broken her bracers eventually also debunks the theory that you need to be Skyfather level to damage them. He also broke her wrist but squeezing the bracers.

Q99
By what was going on, it looked like she was talking about taking too much damage even with the bracers, due to shockwave and such. The bracers showed no, and I mean zero, visible damage, hardly like they were about to break. They have take far more before and since too. It was her who was failing rather than them when she was saying they could only take hits like that for so long.

The wrist thing was above the bracers too, and looked much more like he pulled the wrist back against them until it snapped (dah).

---

Godwave thing:
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/18/1228869_867x1270.jpg
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/22/1228872_882x1264.jpg
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/22/1228873_887x1260.jpg
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/22/1228874_882x1264.jpg

Bouncing the combined might of the pantheon off them to destroy Olympus.

illadelph12
Question on this:

For those that are saying the bracers are more durable, is that based on the fact that when she crosses them it raises a mystical shield around her which is generated by, but independent of, the bracers themselves? I ask because has Superman (or anyone) ever actually punched her directly on a bracer when she didn't have them crossed in front of her and was bracing for the attack? And if so, can I see a scan of the results?

StiltmanFTW

He broke them in the -now possible- future where Batman/Superman were the leaders of the world.

According to Cap his shield might not take another karate chop from Mandarin smile

But yeah, I also believe Steve's shield is more durable.

amnesia
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
According to Cap his shield might not take another karate chop from Mandarin smile

Mandarin>>DCU

Q99
Originally posted by illadelph12
Question on this:

For those that are saying the bracers are more durable, is that based on the fact that when she crosses them it raises a mystical shield around her which is generated by, but independent of, the bracers themselves? I ask because has Superman (or anyone) ever actually punched her directly on a bracer when she didn't have them crossed in front of her and was bracing for the attack? And if so, can I see a scan of the results?

Powergirl hits an uncrossed bracer

When they aren't crossed, they still don't break, but stuff like shockwave and so on can be an issue for impacts (not really energy attacks though).

marwash22
wasn't it Thor who dented Cap's shield?... while using Mjolnir. Can you prove Thor couldn't do the same to WW's bracers?

Q99
Originally posted by marwash22
wasn't it Thor who dented Cap's shield?... while using Mjolnir. Can you prove Thor couldn't do the same to WW's bracers?

There was a scan of her reflecting the entire might of a Pantheon.

I know you like to lowball WW, but let's not get silly here.

marwash22
Originally posted by Q99
There was a scan of her reflecting the entire might of a Pantheon.

I know you like to lowball WW, but let's not get silly here. it was a question, relax yourself. Also, when have i ever lowballed WW? I don't like her, but i have never denied her power.

Q99
it was a question, relax yourself. Also, when have i ever lowballed WW? I don't like her, but i have never denied her power.

Sure, it was a question, I'm just pointing out it's one you already have the answer to many times over smile

marwash22
except, i have never seen this "entire might of Pantheon" scan, so i wouldn't have clue as to how that correlates with my question concerning Thor and Mjolnir.

Q99
except, i have never seen this "entire might of Pantheon" scan, so i wouldn't have clue as to how that correlates with my question concerning Thor and Mjolnir.

It was 5 posts before yours. Eyes, use 'em. smile

amnesia
Cap's shield>>Celestials

/fact

marwash22
Originally posted by Q99
It was 5 posts before yours. Eyes, use 'em. smile adding smilies to your post's doesn't help soften your condescending tone.

Anyhow, deflecting a ridiculous mass of energy ≠ being able to tank a full force blow from Thor using Mjolnir.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Juk3n
Magic > physics

H1 does not approve this message.

Q99
adding smilies to your post's doesn't help soften your condescending tone.

I'm not really aiming to soften.

The point is, you know very well they're capable of handling attacks from that level.

Deflecting the pantheon's energy is way more impressive than blocking mjolnir and you know it.

marwash22
Originally posted by Q99
I'm not really aiming to soften. Ahhhh, so you're purposely being a dick. gotcha! wink

Originally posted by Q99
Deflecting the pantheon's energy is way more impressive than blocking mjolnir and you know it. Sure, but we aren't discussing what's more impressive, we're discussing whether or not her bracers could hold up to being hit by Thor wielding Mjolnir. Defelcting a blast is not even close to being the same thing as standing your ground and absorbing a hit.

This is like claiming that, just because Karate kid is able to redirect a punch from Superman, he can also stand there and tank the same punch... the two things are completely different.

Q99
Ahhhh, so you're purposely being a dick. gotcha!

I would phrase it as I'm less polite to people who are know to purposefully troll a subject.

But, you know she's done so with the likes of the Omega effect before too.

Heck, even Wonder Girl's lesser bracers have taken hits from Superboy Prime.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Arishem shrugged of an energy bolt containing the power of Odin, Zeus and Vishnu. Three Skyfathers. Celestial Armor was not even scratched by multiple blows from the Odin Destroyer.

Mjolnir damaged that same Celestial and was able to break through the shell of Arishem.

So....the bracers reflecting the power of the Olympians isn't proof that Mjolnir could break them. Just saying. Of course, it depends on how much force is behind Mjolnir.

Originally posted by Q99
By what was going on, it looked like she was talking about taking too much damage even with the bracers, due to shockwave and such. The bracers showed no, and I mean zero, visible damage, hardly like they were about to break. They have take far more before and since too. It was her who was failing rather than them when she was saying they could only take hits like that for so long.

erm

"Even my bracelets can only withstand hits like that for so long."

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/striking/WonderWomanv2175a.jpg

I'm fine with acknowledging it as a low showing but your doing some spinning here.

Although I will admit that the statement isn't as conclusive as I remembered it to be.

Originally posted by Q99
The wrist thing was above the bracers too, and looked much more like he pulled the wrist back against them until it snapped (dah).

I'm pretty sure I already had this conversation with you. I wasn't referring to that scene but to this one:
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/squeezing/WonderWomanv2175b.jpg
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/squeezing/WonderWomanv2175c.jpg

Originally posted by Q99
Godwave thing:
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/18/1228869_867x1270.jpg
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/22/1228872_882x1264.jpg
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/22/1228873_887x1260.jpg
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/10/23/02/22/1228874_882x1264.jpg

Bouncing the combined might of the pantheon off them to destroy Olympus.

Oh, okay. I thought he was referring to another scene. When I think of the God Wave, I usually think of the original one for some reason.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

I know of that scene -he actually said something similar about Thor/Mjolnir- and I see your point. This scene is what ultimately makes me bring up Superman though:
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9773/9e69c197726992.jpg

It's obviously not conclusive as it's still an alternate time line but these scenes create a basis for characters of Superman's level -or status- damaging the bracers.

I'm of the opinion that in extreme situations either Thor or Hulk would be capable of doing so.

marwash22

http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9773/9e69c197726992.jpg
i just found a sig. evil face

tideoftime
On a "simple" level of physicality, I'd place WW's Bracers and Cap's Shield on roughly equal footing -- any differences/advantages (again, on a *simple* physical level) would be difficult to discern properly. But the Bracers do have the advantage of powerful, god-level magic *in addition* to their general durability (or intrinsically part of their nature, in an applied manner), so I'd say they are generally superior to the shield in most all circumstances.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by tideoftime
On a "simple" level of physicality, I'd place WW's Bracers and Cap's Shield on roughly equal footing -- any differences/advantages (again, on a *simple* physical level) would be difficult to discern properly. But the Bracers do have the advantage of powerful, god-level magic *in addition* to their general durability (or intrinsically part of their nature, in an applied manner), so I'd say they are generally superior to the shield in most all circumstances.

can't just say something is magical therefore must be better than something that is not magical.

Anyway the way I see there has not been much instances of bracers blocking serious physical attacks with zero trouble. But on the other hand bloodlusted king thor and thanos with a IF broke it (also who knows if he just used strength to do it since he was using everything except omniscience at the time).

As for high end energy attacks, I think the beyonder blasted it to shit one time or something... and well hes the ****ing beyonder so i'll put the house on that if Beyonder wanted to break the bracer with a blast he would.

Then the braccers can block massive high end energy projection (not beyonder level but impresive) I think thats what its famous for.

This is a toughie. Flip a coin I say...

Q99
It's the fact that it's showing both major shockwaves and a lack of damage that makes me think it's not them breaking that she's worried about.

I admit the text reads more your way, but the visuals support mine.

Yea, I remember that conversation too, and it's still a wrist break and the wrist is above the bracers. The bracers do not seem to be crushed, plus we see them after in a non-crushed state. Top of his hand were above the bracers, too.

So I don't think the bracers were malformed.

tideoftime
Originally posted by Lord Feron
can't just say something is magical therefore must be better than something that is not magical.

Anyway the way I see there has not been much instances of bracers blocking serious physical attacks with zero trouble. But on the other hand bloodlusted king thor and thanos with a IF broke it (also who knows if he just used strength to do it since he was using everything except omniscience at the time).

As for high end energy attacks, I think the beyonder blasted it to shit one time or something... and well hes the ****ing beyonder so i'll put the house on that if Beyonder wanted to break the bracer with a blast he would.

Then the braccers can block massive high end energy projection (not beyonder level but impresive) I think thats what its famous for.

This is a toughie. Flip a coin I say...

I think you are misreading my post (or, at least, its intent): it's *because* the bracers have *powerful* magical ability ( on-panel and off-panel references to their having additional protective powers/shielding/channeling vast magical power, which the shield *does not*), that I am saying they likely are superior to the shield, not that *because* they are magical, alone. The bracers are "more tricked-out", so to speak, above and beyond their "simple" durability. That is, the shield doesn't have the ability to channel/create magical power to provide even greater protection, which the bracers *can* do... Hope that clears that up...

illadelph12
I thought when Diana crossed the bracers it created a magical forcefield? If that's the case, the deflecting of the pantheon blast is a feat of the forcefield spell, not the durability of the bracers themselves, right?

tideoftime
Originally posted by illadelph12
I thought when Diana crossed the bracers it created a magical forcefield? If that's the case, the deflecting of the pantheon blast is a feat of the forcefield spell, not the durability of the bracers themselves, right?

The specific feat referrenced (WW 20-22 or so, vol. 2) was not deflected by the Aegis effect (which didn't manifest until years later), but by actually coming in contact with the bracers, themselves ("...the touch of Amalthea's skin..."wink; the bracers, themselves, are right up there with Cap's shield, and similar, as among the most "indestructable" things in comics (indestructable, that is, until some writer/editor decides otherwise and wants drama...). That they are *also* able to channel "X" god-power/effect, in *addition* to their inherent durability, is why they likely hold the "Superior" rating over Cap's shield. Like I posted further up, however, for most day-to-day purposes, it doesn't really matter -- it's only when one get's to the nitty-gritty that it matters (for example: while a Thor-backed Mjolner was able to dent the shield, I don't believe a similar blow could do the same to the bracers... now, repeated, sustained blows? Backed by Thor's god-strength/power? Over time? Diana better pray, and pray hard...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.