Asura's Wrath

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bro SMASH
Here's the trailer for the newest Capcom game called Asura's Wrath:

uWlBZGw2iNI&feature=player_embedded

Is Capcom trying to compete with God of War now?

RE: Blaxican
Better question.

Is Capcom trying to compete with games that don't suck?

NemeBro
Anyone else find that trailer too stupid to take seriously?

CosmicComet
His stupid repetitive grunts were really annoying.

ESB -1138
This game just looks dull.

ares834
Lol this looks stupid as hell, but a fun kind of stupid.

Kazenji
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

Is Capcom trying to compete with games that don't suck?

And in what way are they developing it?

pretty sure that i seen CyberConnect2 for that part.

Scythe
Haha, he's fighting Sabertooth.

menokokoro
hopefully there is better dialog in the actual game.

but how do you lose in this game? or do you, it looks to me that he just doesn't die. but that is from a VERY limited view of it.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NemeBro
Anyone else find that trailer too stupid to take seriously?

Yep.

BloodRain
Seems like a converted, rage filled Kratos.

BloodRain
-f3woBOc8pY

Demonic Phoenix
VR8QOgYR4WI
KM8OdFU-LA0

BloodRawEngine
Sounds like Steve Blum doing his Wolverine voice with a drunken slur.

Not that I'm complaining; Asura still seems like the only character out of Capcom action game that I feel can be taken at least remotely seriously, even with all the super saiyan screaming.

Wonder if we'll get to fight that planet-sized guy.

BloodRain
Another trailer, may contain spoilers.

M5nxVt6U8gc

This verse is a beast. Eat your heart out Gin awesome

Demonic Phoenix
Dante's got nothing on him either excellent

BloodRain
Stopping the Savior > Destroying a planet sized god

And not saying that due to the lack of meds... not at all awetwitch

Definatly one of Capcoms top verses. Ho geezus what will that main god guy do? O___o

BloodRawEngine
I already had an interest in the game (thought the art style looked great and the sheer DBZ+God of War+Asian mythology and religion+Pseudo brawler, multiplied to ****-all-senseless levels without seeming too obnoxious ie Bayonetta certainly made me dart an eyelid), and the least I can say is that the atmosphere certainly seems more original than I'd'a thought at first. From what the combat thus far shows, I don't really notice Asura there using anything other than his fists; I'm wondering if they'll exercise a bit of variety in the combat. I'm normally not particularly a fan of outrageously overpowered displays of overpoweredness in video games, but I find alot of enjoyment seeing these fights and scenes in Asura's Wrath, cutscene and gameplay. Maybe it's just cuz the approach seems more akin to something of my tastes instead of just trying to make it look slick only to make it look corny.

But why the hell end that trailer on a cliffhanger at that particular shot when we've already seen the guy punch a planet-sized Buddha so hard that it blew up? Not even counting it was delivered to said Buddha's East Coast-sized finger.

BloodRain
What sort of variety do you mean?

Maybe cos he's doing it to a guy thats even stronger than said super-mega-ultra Buddah. Might be a more powerful move.

No End N Site
Holy Shit @ that trailer! Over-the-top much?

I was gonna ask how in de f**k did they get to the moon, but never mind.

Demonic Phoenix
^ Yeah. Super-Mega-Ultra Buddha is supposed to be one of the weak-end bosses.

Possibly the use of other weapons and magical abilities, as is the norm in these kinds of games.

Originally posted by BloodRain
Stopping the Savior > Destroying a planet sized god

And not saying that due to the lack of meds... not at all awetwitch

Definatly one of Capcoms top verses. Ho geezus what will that main god guy do? O___o

You mean stopping Saviour's slow moving fist > Destroying Planet-sized Buddha. vin

BloodRain
See? I knew youd get it 131

Meanwhile, on the Moon:

BloodRawEngine
What sort of variety do you mean?

Extra weapons or some sort of use of the environment, basically. Not to say what's been shown isn't very dynamic already, because I do like what I've seen. Case and point, the full boss-fight with that giant Buddha statue, now officially known as Wyzern:

Qpviyn8ol9s

The developers described the context-sensitive-heavy aspects as being something like fully-interactive cinematics on what looks like a pretty grand scale. This video definitely displays how much emphasis is put on it in the meatier parts of the game.

Bro SMASH
Another trailer, may contain spoilers.

M5nxVt6U8gc

This verse is a beast. Eat your heart out Gin awesome

Nobody pointed this out but did anybody else notice the Once Piece song during the fight scene? It's same one from the Luffy vs. Crocodile fight.

BloodRawEngine
Well, does One Piece have anyone voiced by Liam O'Brien doing Steve Blum doing a drunken Wolverine?

BloodRawEngine
Quick gameplay clip highlighting the combat (of that fight on the moon).

JjmGsHXTghU

Looks like a pretty straight-forward beat 'em up style, and straight-forward is usually what works best with said beat em ups. I can assume some complaints about the camera angle of the fight (the whole video looked like something out of Budokai Tenkaichi with it), but I think that's only from the targeting system--other scenes of real-time fighting showed controllable camera, and lock-on being activated with the right analog stick. It's actually a bit more common an angle than most assume so. The last QTE made me chuckle.

BloodRain
NdjtQRwxxuM

Say hi to Lord Yasha.

BloodRawEngine
I just noticed that that was some giant computer-thing guy that he was running towards at the end. That looked pretty damn cool. Goes without saying, but I hope that, if they make a habit of switchting between the two, Yasha plays differently enough to justify it.

Here's a new article from IGN that caught my eye.

Apparently it showcases more on the fight on the moon that the Gamescom trailer had; the big guy's name is Angus, Asura's master, for one new piece of info's worth. Overall, the writer seemed pretty impressed by what he played, and described it the same way most people seemed to; Dragonball Z meets God of War meets Street Fighter with a splash of God Hand.

Phanteros
K2BKowlNVTI

Laziest origin trailer I ever seen.

BloodRawEngine
Glad you posted it before I had to double post. Again.

It's ironic though, that Asura actually looks wierder with pupils than without.

Phanteros
I just realized that they took songs from the One Piece Ost.

BloodRawEngine
Well, one of them is from an old composer called Antonin Dvorak. Specifically the trailer with the fight on the moon (and the demo of it) is done to Dvorak's 4th from the New World Symphony.

I don't know how many other of his songs One Piece uses, but whatev, it intrigues me.

And the youtube comments oversaturate this subject, but does anyone else see a slight resemblance to Ganondorf when looking at whom that trailer refers to as Deus (the so-far apparent instigator behind things who's even more clearly voiced by Steven Blum than Yasha is by Robin Atkin Downes)? Hell, the fact that all the men in this game are speaking with similarly stony or deep voices makes Asura's sound a little more in-place.

BloodRawEngine
Since I haven't seen it posted here yet, here's another trailer of what I assume to be an early area in the game, what with it showcasing Asura breaking out of his apparently 12,000 imprisonment right in front of his kid (who is somehow still a kid after 12,000 years, but **** all it's a video game):

Sygq04YwcyE

As has been made pretty obvious thus far, that little girl who gets promptly swept up by that big Carnage-cosplaying spidermonkey thing is apparently Asura's daughter, Mithra. Cute kid though; Looks kinda like my kid cousin. From what the trailers show, she's apparently a pretty key aspect in Asura's journey.

Burning thought
This looks pretty damn cool, look forward to this one myself.

Also, I can see him becoming popular in Games vs.

BloodRawEngine
Did anyone else just now notice the last third with him fighting a 20-ish foot tall robot without any arms (I was half-asleep when I made the post and stopped watching after the first part)? I like to pretend that Buddha-bot thing he headbutted to death was Sentinel...

Burning thought
I like the giant enemies and the style but I dont like some of the voices, I wonder if any of them will change but I can imagine it getting to me having to listen to some of them, reminds me of some of the voices on power rangers villains.

Also it seems hes not durable at all at some times but he can take quite a lot of punishment at others although when his other arms come out, its like a super mode but they seem weak because they shatter, its like a lot of prosthetics that make you incredible powerful.

Also, whats he made from? his child and his wife as well as most of the other humanoids seem to have very human appearance but he has a strangeness about his shape, is it just because the rock has been fused to his flesh or something? since he breaks out of it at some point.

BloodRawEngine
According to developer statements, Asura, along with the other "seven dieties", are originally a sort of species of demigods with cyborg-like characteristics and/or enhancements or something, whom are, judging from Asura being called a general, some sort of elite military class or something. Augus, Asura's master, is at least confirmed as it, but looking at other characters like Yasha, they have alot of the same characteristics to their designs.

As for the arms, I think it plays directly into the amount of power Asura's harnessing through his 'rage', which, after 12,000 years of manifesting while he was imprisoned, has surfaced as some sort of non-abstract power. Best I can tell, it's his "Hulk-Out". That last part is mostly my guess anyway, but taking into account that he managed to kill a planet-sized Buddha guy with what looked like Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken times a billion, it makes sense so far.

As for the voices, I happen to really like Yasha's.

Burning thought
That death is a little strange, as is the fact the ground beneath his feet didnt seem to break despite the pressure on top of him but I guess ime looking into it to much, this clearly is the opposite of physical more fun, but the giant seemed to be made of some sort of stone espcially when it melted, it seemed to be made of millions of little blocks.

BloodRawEngine
Probably just a sample of him breaking up before exploding; given "Gongen" Wyzen's sheer size, we're essentially looking at Asura's final blow as if we were specimens placed under a microscope or something.

What amused me is when Wyzen was in his second form, "Vajra" Wyzen, and Asura managed to launch him into space like a slingshot or something. Stretched him from the gut to the back like a balloon.

Burning thought
We will probably learn what this power is in the game, the power to break him up into piecies or melt him down.

Well that was just weird, seems like some sort of anime thing but funny to watch.

BloodRawEngine
That can be said for alot of the stuff shown thus far stick out tongue

Anyway, since it hasn't been shown here yet, here's the demo showcasing the full fight between Asura and his master Augus on the moon. Along with the same music as the trailer, Dvorak's 4th. Not sure if it's the actual background music in the game, but it kinda fits in an ironically quaint sort of way.

Part 1
DU60idPiQP8

Part 2
XmhKd38f2EQ
Note how the sword extends through the other side of the planet.

Burning thought
Cuts up the moon like its a piece of cake.

BloodRawEngine
On another note of random trivia of the game's overpoweredness, according to the dev statement found here, the maximum length of Augus' sword is 380,000 kilometers/over 230,000 miles. If my estimate's correct, that's almost thirty times the diameter of the earth, and roughly the distnce from the earth to the moon according to the article.

BloodRawEngine
Since I don't think it's been said yet, one detail given about the plot is in regards to the other playable character, Yasha.

According to this Capcom-unity article, Yasha was Asura's friend and brother-in-law (brother to Asura's wife, Durgus), and it seems he may or may not be aware of the full details and believes Asura was the one who killed her. Not to call the plot predictable, but I had guessed at least that Yasha would play a role pertaining to his moral compass. I'm sure it'll be all manly-tears and all that.

I'm also starting to guess that the girl in the trailers is either Mithra or a girl that just looks like her for reasons the story will disclose upon release. Just a hunch.

Bro SMASH
Well now that the demo is out, has anyone it played it yet?

Phanteros
The game is nothing but QTE and cutscenes to me. The usaul Cyberconnect formula to hide their crap gameplay under nice visuals.

ares834
Yep, the very limited gameplay is horrible.

Bro SMASH
So...anyone's played this since it's been out now?

Nephthys
3CFLEHyx0Mg

ares834
Yeah, I have it. And that review is pretty much spot on.

BloodRawEngine
You mean that Street Fighter thing was real?

Nemesis X
I really wish that it wasn't just Ryu but the entire Street Fighter cast that was fighting Asura all at once. Now that's what I call insane.

Impediment
This game is 75% cutscenes and Quicktime events with 25% ACTUAL gameplay.

I feel cheated having bought this game.

BloodRawEngine
That depends on what you call actual gameplay considering there are a least three or so different gameplay styles that the game may not commit itself to at any one time, but the only real way one should feel cheated in buying it at its price is just cuz of how short the game is. All in all, I agree with most of the critics and general consensus that it does its job well, but what it does ain't for everyone. I won't be slobbering in wait for the obvious sequel or DLC as a day one buy, but I'd welcome the room for improvement.

If nothing else, the soundtrack is extremely badass, especially Yasha's theme.

Nemesis X
iNU0x5dHBio

Nephthys
Capcom:

http://www.izismile.com/img/img3/20100908/640/funny_derp_pictures_640_14.jpg

Maybe this idiocy will take some heat off Bioware. Or just magnify it.

Impediment
The game is very cool, I admit, but it just seems so automated with so many cut scenes and QT events.

I'm going to attempt to finish the game on very hard difficulty.

Phanteros
Originally posted by Nemesis X
iNU0x5dHBio Crapcom being ****ing god awful as usual. Seriously they need to go **** themselves with this bullshit.

Impediment
This DLC should have already been included in the game. That Joe guy is right; This is a big middle finger to everyone who supported Capcom and bought this game.

I finished the "True episode 18" ending, and was left feeling a tad unsatisfied. Well, I guess now we all know why the game ended like that.

ares834
Just beat the DLC... And holy shit!

The last level was completely over the top!

BTW, this game seems to be set in the Street Fighter Universe

NemeBro
I was actually most surprised at the quality of the plot, characters, and writing.

When I saw the trailers for this game, I thought it looked stupid as hell, but I was wrong.

I enjoyed it. Granted, I also didn't buy it. smile

Bro SMASH
Originally posted by ares834
Just beat the DLC... And holy shit!

The last level was completely over the top!

BTW, this game seems to be set in the Street Fighter Universe

I doubt it. I'm sure it's non-canon to that world.

majid86
I played the demo of this game and beat that planet sized Budda dude but couldnt beat the boss called Argus but i have to say this game is like a Japanese version of GOW 3

Phanteros
Originally posted by NemeBro
I was actually most surprised at the quality of the plot, characters, and writing.

When I saw the trailers for this anime, I thought it looked stupid as hell, but I was wrong.

I enjoyed it. Granted, I also didn't buy it. smile fixed

NemeBro
Originally posted by Phanteros
fixed Oh hey look it's that really unfunny guy.

BloodRain
Ditto. It could have done far better with a more 'game' gameplay, though those three elements with all that extreme action was enough to get to the end.

God bless Youtube walkthroughs. :I

Demonic Phoenix
Huh.

uL48jvaTNPc
4:08.

no expression

Nephthys
Physics? The **** is that?!

Demonic Phoenix
^ Coolforce?

fcS3DhMpeQ4

One where the player doesn't actually lose like a weak f**b.

BloodRawEngine
And also pronounces Ryu correctly.

Bro SMASH
I just knew that Yasha would die somewhere in the story. In a trait that's kind of common in animes/mangas now, the rival/anti-hero, whose popularity either matches or surpasses the main character's, would usually die as some kind of sacrifice. This is usually one of the most memorable scenes in stuff like this. Heck, in some cases, the series go downhill right after it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.