Devil May Cry reboot...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BloodRawEngine
Announced at TGS, and in collaboration with Ninja Theory (who brought Heavenly Sword), Capcom has decided to give us a reimagining on one of its flagship franchises. Say hello to the new Dante--the new, rickety, grungy, cigarette-smoking, Starkiller pre-rehab look-alike Dante.

Hm...judge for yourselves, I may still be on the fence for a little bit.

yODXOeKSfH0

Well...at least this means no more Nero...

CosmicComet
I laughed out loud for a good 5 minutes. laughing out loud

I haven't been a DMC fan in awhile, but I respect the series and this is just laughable.

You Dante fans have it bad.

menokokoro
i like the idea of this actually. well, if it is what i am thinking it is.

It looks to me that it will be dante learning his abilities, and some government got ahold of him wanting to know what he is and why he is so tough. or something like that

ScreamPaste
This looks like an improvement, to me. no expression Dante looks less like a ridiculous anime character/Gary Stu. The game looks like it might take itself more seriously. (No random guitar soloes, anyone?)

Yeah it looks cliche, but I wouldn't count it out yet. I doubt Capcom would go for this if they thought it was a bad idea. Even they must know how ridiculous DMC dialogue has been. They kind of use it as a running joke in RE, for example. no expression Maybe they'll go for a grittier and better written angle.

CosmicComet
Dante was not a cliche anime character. He was pretty damn Western actually.

He was a stubble wearing, hard drinking, gun toting, trash talking, cocky bastard.

Now he's a cigar smoking, teen angst having, emo ***** that looks like Chris Crocker.

Ironically its the Western artist that emasculated a Japanese character this time. laughing out loud

ScreamPaste
I didn't see him emoing or having teen angst, but I did see a cigar. Cite examples?

Also, I can show you examples of trash talking cocky assholes in anime, and I'm hardly an expert on anime. Dante looks a lot less like an animu character now, and as far as I can tell is wearing fewer unnecessary belts.

XanatosForever
Do not want...

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by XanatosForever
Do not want... It's not like Dante could actually get worse unless he actually IS emo in this game. O_o

RE: Blaxican
That looks terrible. God damn it Capcom. Please go back to making good games again? Street Fighter 4 is not enough.

Burning thought
This makes me want to burn all the hair off my body and bathe in green paint....Dante looks awful.

BloodRawEngine
^That'd still be a better look than the new Dante.

ScreamPaste
I don't get it. So his hair isn't as white, and he has a cigar. We've seen nothing of his new personality if he has one, and he's lost his ridiculous need to wear an unnecassary large number of belts. What's the loss? Dante before was not exactly the most likeable or interesting character. no expression I'm confused.

BloodRawEngine
I'm not saying the old Dante needs or deserves any defending either; like I've said often, Dante stopped being even tolerable by DMC3, but just aesthetically, a change in haircolor is the smallest change he's gone through from what's been shown. If he wasn't so utterly filthy and unkempt, he'd be immediately mistaken for the love child between Alex Mercer and Adam Lambert. Frankly, it's his only real plus so far, but I'll wait to see if it grows on me, because I'm not one to base my final opinion on a first impression, even with fictional characters.

But frankly, a slightly more grunge, nonchalant personality does sound like a decent change of pace from an immature snarky trash-talker the likes of which has been done more than enough in video games. Either way, it's only a matter of time before DMC purists come in all Godzilla 1998 style with the "D.I.N.O."s and nerdrage and the works.

NemeBro
My God...

This, is so... AWESOME!!! haermm

YOUR TEARS MAKE ME STRONGER!!! crylaugh

FinalAnswer
HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Announced at TGS, and in collaboration with Ninja Theory (who brought Heavenly Sword), Capcom has decided to give us a reimagining on one of its flagship franchises. Say hello to the new Dante--the new, rickety, grungy, cigarette-smoking, Starkiller pre-rehab look-alike Dante.

Hm...judge for yourselves, I may still be on the fence for a little bit.

yODXOeKSfH0

Well...at least this means no more Nero...

It also means no more Vergil.

Nero was a shitty addition to the series. He won't be missed.

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
I don't get it. So his hair isn't as white, and he has a cigar. We've seen nothing of his new personality if he has one, and he's lost his ridiculous need to wear an unnecassary large number of belts. What's the loss? Dante before was not exactly the most likeable or interesting character. no expression I'm confused.

Compared to this Dante, old Dante looks much better, minus the retarded leather chaps in DMC4.

Either way, I hope they reinvent the mythos of the series with this new reboot, but keep the gameplay style from either DMC1 or DMC3. Personally, I'd prefer a DMC1-esque style.

No End N Site
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
That looks terrible. God damn it Capcom. Please go back to making good games again? Street Fighter 4 is not enough.

^Tatsunoko VS Capcom. Good ass game.

I aint gonna judge the game itself but they phucked Dante up. WTF?

NemeBro
For a super DMC hater like me, this is like, a dream come true. no expression

God bless you Capcom.

StyleTime
Please go back to making good games again? Street Fighter 4 is not enough.
That wasn't good though. *Runs inside his adamantium safehouse.*

Juk3n
What if..John Constantine learned how to fight...?

I like Ninja Theory art direction.
I like DMC gameplay.
Give us both and i dont see a downside.

Demonic Phoenix
Capcom isn't developing the game though. Only publishing it.

Anyway, if it's anything like Heavenly Sword in terms of visuals & feel, it will be ossum.

Originally posted by Juk3n
What if..John Constantine learned how to fight...?

I like Ninja Theory art direction.
I like DMC gameplay.
Give us both and i dont see a downside.

Dante's new look is a downside. A severe one at that.

That said, I agree with the previous two comments.

SaTsuJiN
ugh.. did they let the artist for phantom dust do dante's design.. I was kinda hoping for a new more realistic look (instead of the typical anime / bleach style rehashes I see all the time).. but this is just.. out of the park

Demonic Phoenix
Here's to hoping they shelve Dante's look and go instead with a much more...sane design.

S_D_J
Originally posted by NemeBro
For a super DMC hater like me, this is like, a dream come true. no expression

God bless you Capcom.

QFT

ESB -1138
Why does Dante look like he should a part of AFI?

You can see a little white hair on him so maybe this is a prequel or something.

BloodRawEngine
Based on what little we've gained in terms of atmosphere and dialogue, I really doubt this is connected in any way to the original DMC series. For one, the original Dante was a non-smoker as stated by Capcom, whereas this guy is apparently smoking a cigarette even during gameplay Solid Snake style. In fact, the only things this Dante DOES still seem to retain that the original had are the dual pistols Ebony and Ivory. As far as I can tell, it seems like he's supposed to be some sort of bio-weapon gone wrong or something.

Not that I'm ruling out that possibility entirely or anything, just saying the chances don't seem very high for that. I would think DMC fanboys would get even more pissy if that were the case.

Zack Fair
HAHAHAHA@Dante getting pawned

Go capcom go!! Make sure you keep the cheesy one liners so he stays totally lame

RE: Blaxican
Someone get Charlotte DeBel in here.

Rascaduanok
Why the cocksock does he have BLACK hair?!

Rascaduanok

S_D_J
Originally posted by Zack Fair
HAHAHAHA@Dante getting pawned

Go capcom go!! Make sure you keep the cheesy one liners so he stays totally lame

since it's not made by capcom...

I might finally get into this franchise big grin

Charlotte DeBel
1. Heavenly Sword is a piece of crap gameplaywise. The most retarded quicktime events ever.
2. I hate this reboot. My boyfriend said he enjoyed watching me cry in despair when I saw this shit.
3. This fugly Alex Mercer ripoff shall burn in hell forever.

That was my opinion. That's worse piece of crap than KoF movie and that says something.

Charlotte DeBel
Based on what little we've gained in terms of atmosphere and dialogue, I really doubt this is connected in any way to the original DMC series. For one, the original Dante was a non-smoker as stated by Capcom, whereas this guy is apparently smoking a cigarette even during gameplay Solid Snake style. In fact, the only things this Dante DOES still seem to retain that the original had are the dual pistols Ebony and Ivory. As far as I can tell, it seems like he's supposed to be some sort of bio-weapon gone wrong or something.

Not that I'm ruling out that possibility entirely or anything, just saying the chances don't seem very high for that. I would think DMC fanboys would get even more pissy if that were the case.
Not only non-smoker, but he disliked the very SMELL of tobacco and couldn't understand how and why people can enjoy smoking.

Rascaduanok

ESB -1138

Bio-weapon? WTF? If they're going to do something completely different from DMC why not just call this something else?

Rascaduanok

ESB -1138
He kind of looks like an emo Billy Murray

BloodRain
Id probably find this to be a great game if it wasn't Devil May Cry, wasnt Dante. Maybe its a prequel to DMC2...

Doubt he'll stay around for long. If some fans somewhat disliking Cole's new look made them redesign in it 98% hate to the new look, yeah I see something being done.

Wonder what comes of the other characters like Vergil and Sparda.

ESB -1138
I'm gonna give it a chance. Maybe he'll end up like the Dante we all know and love. Maybe he's a lot younger in this.

BloodRain
Meant to be a prequal/reboot, so before the manga.. 16/17 here? Can see the white hair growing in no doubt from the devil powers, like the quick flash to him with all white hair and red eyes.

CosmicComet
I've heard not mention of the word 'prequel' anywhere from the developers.

I've heard only reboot. It's over Bloodrain. stick out tongue

ESB -1138
Right a reboot just starting a lot sooner than the other DMC took place in which Dante grows into the Dante we know...hopefully.

BloodRain
Actually don't know why I said prequel, only mean that its meant to be before all his devil stuff kicks in when compared to DMC Dante. Guess the word slipped in.

Wouldn't mind ESB being right.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Right a reboot just starting a lot sooner than the other DMC took place in which Dante grows into the Dante we know...hopefully.

That's not a reboot. That's just a straight up prequel for the timeline we already have.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by BloodRain
Id probably find this to be a great game if it wasn't Devil May Cry, wasnt Dante. Maybe its a prequel to DMC2...

Doubt he'll stay around for long. If some fans somewhat disliking Cole's new look made them redesign in it 98% hate to the new look, yeah I see something being done.

Wonder what comes of the other characters like Vergil and Sparda.

The problem with this train of thought is that Sucker Punch actually cared enough about fan appeal to do something about, and they have a great track record of well received games. This Ninja Theory group...eh. erm

BloodRain
In Ninja Theory's defence... wait why am I defending them >_> anyway, theyve only released two games so far. So ya never know if they'll listen to the fans demands or not. It'd be very hard for them to walk around the complaints seeing as any and everything to do with DmC and comes with negative thoughts.

NemeBro
I love you guys.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Bio-weapon? WTF? If they're going to do something completely different from DMC why not just call this something else?

To quote Mr. Yahtzee Croshaw:

"Well, it's like my right hand on Sunday night..."

"IT BEATS THE F*CK OUT OF ME!"

FinalAnswer
Thank you Capcom.

You're forgiven for Resident Evil 5

No End N Site
This game is gonna be the best DMC ever just cuz of all the people talkin' shit about it this early on. This game is gonna outsell all the other DMCs and mutha phuckaz gonna be eatin' sandwiches made of shit and words.

On another note, Capcom not only phucked up Dante, but it pretty much looks like DMC in general got phucked over as well. Why not just call it by another name?

Demonic Phoenix
If they had given it a different name, it wouldn't get as much attention.

Also, it was just a teaser. There is a good chance this new game will change.

Classic NES
Capcom should outsource more of it's franchises imo.

Rascaduanok
3789xgG5LVk

Quincy
Looks ****ing awesome.

Everyone's freaking out over the new makeover. But it looks like when he's chained up, he has a small patch of white in his hair, and while he's ****ing up demons, he has more white streaks. Probably will continue to get whiter the more demonized he becomes.

Trailer is probably the most badass shit we've seen Dante do all 4 titles.

jinXed by JaNx
Well, he looks less like an arrogant whiny little girl...,i like that.

Although, i still hate the idea of "rebooting" young video game and movie franchises.

AsbestosFlaygon
WTH are you guys on about?

If anything, he looks awesomer now.

The lesser of that Animu ladyboy gheyness look, the better.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
WTH are you guys on about?

If anything, he looks awesomer now.

The lesser of that Animu ladyboy gheyness look, the better. He went from looking like a pretty boy to an asian girl.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
He went from looking like a pretty boy to an asian girl.
Not rly.

He looks more like a lesbian now.

That chiseled jawline gives him a bit of a masculine look, compared to his previous one with the white, emo hair.

Quincy
He looks ****ing cool. Trailer is freaking sweet. I want to be able to put cigarettes out on enemies. That ridiculous leap he does in the trailer into that ground pound looks like some badass game mechanics. He pushes himself off the wall at the end - hope this plays a gameplay role

Spidervlad
Oh...My...God.... What in the world is this. What did they do to him?!?!

Sin_Volvagia
My God...

This, is so... AWESOME!!! haermm

YOUR TEARS MAKE ME STRONGER!!! crylaugh

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

Originally posted by S_D_J
QFT

When DMC ends up being a great game, I'm coming back here to eat you three alive.

FinalAnswer
Define "good game".

Because if by "Good Game", you mean it will be basically the previous DMC games, then it's not a good game.

If it actually is a good game, dun really care, am loling over the fact that they completely remade Dante into a self insert emo Frankenstein Monster.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
When DMC ends up being a great game, I'm coming back here to eat you three alive. Oh please.

That would be even BETTER. haermm

It would mean all the DmC butthurt was for NOTHING.

Phanteros
The despair is Delicious.

Th3birdman
I just need the combo depth and system of 3, and I'm sold. Rebellion swordmaster was RIDICULOUS. BUT! This Dante could suck a lemon with Lucas fruit seasoning. I need my DMC Dante.

No End N Site

It would mean all the DmC butthurt was for NOTHING.

It is, it always is. They'll release more info, they'll let fans get more hands on and the media will give rave reviews. Just look at the beginin' of the SFIV thread.

NemeBro
Yeah but Streetfighter is actually a GOOD series, meaning that fans worrying about the new installment is more justified. smile

Th3birdman
TOTALLY AGREE^^^. But technically speaking 2/4 are good. 1 and 3 in particular. The macho attitude aside, it was pretty badass

No End N Site
Yeah but Streetfighter is actually a GOOD series, meaning that fans worrying about the new installment is more justified. smile You hatin' for real if you can't admit that the DMC series is not well above average. You can say you don't like the series, but you can't say the games suck like it's fact.

Nobody can justify shit cuz nobody's played the game yet. You wanna say the game sux cuz Dante looks and sounds like a weirdo in the 1st trailer? Lulz

NemeBro
Originally posted by No End N Site
You hatin' for real if you can't admit that the DMC series is not well above average. You can say you don't like the series, but you can't say the games suck like it's fact. Technically speaking, the gameplay in some of the games is alright.

Everything else is disgusting trite and is the reason why I feed on the tears of the DMC fans that cry over this game.

Fo realio though? If this game turned out to be great, that would be AMAZING. Because not only would their butthurt be for nothing, but it would mean that the "shitty spin-off with the shitty Dante" was a BETTER game than the main series, and I would LOVE that.

Though if the game is terrible trite to the extent it kills the series, well that is just fine.

No End N Site
Either way, its a win win win for you, huh?

NemeBro
Well there is the middle-ground that it will just be as good, for lack of better term, as the main series which would then continue.

So, is win, win, or meh.

But yes, is good situation for me.

Th3birdman
What exactly do you not like about DMC? Other than the travesty that was DMC 2? Puppet demons were awesome, Sparda's awesome, Virgil's awesome, The sin demons were awesome, Beowulf was awesome... etc etc

No End N Site
Well there is the middle-ground that it will just be as good, for lack of better term, as the main series which would then continue.

So, is win, win, or meh.

But yes, is good situation for me.
Ya'know, I really like DMC so it really hurts me when you want my series to fail.

NemeBro
I'm sorry. sad

Phanteros
Shall Ninja Theory give DMC fans despair?

Th3birdman
don't think so.

No End N Site
I'm sorry. sad

It's okay, I know you mean it.

http://paulandsherimcwilliams.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/brotherly_love.jpg

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Th3birdman
What exactly do you not like about DMC? Other than the travesty that was DMC 2? Puppet demons were awesome, Sparda's awesome, Virgil's awesome, The sin demons were awesome, Beowulf was awesome... etc etc

Vergil and Sparda are the only awesome characters in the DMC series. Nothing else (apart from DMC1 & DMC3 gameplay) deserves to be in the same paragraph as the word 'awesome'.

Th3birdman
LOL

Everything I stated was a part of gameplay. The plot could go to hell ( see what I did there?), Beowulf was in reference to the gauntlets, and the sin demons were how you put said gauntlets to use.

Demonic Phoenix
LOL

Everything I stated was a part of gameplay. The plot could go to hell ( see what I did there?), Beowulf was in reference to the gauntlets, and the sin demons were how you put said gauntlets to use.

LOL

When I mentioned gameplay, I was talking about overall style & mechanics, not weapons and enemies. In which case, nothing really stands out as 'awesome' in the DMC series, barring perhaps the Devil Arm Nevan.

Th3birdman
Overall style and mechanics in DMC= enemies and ESPECIALLY it's weaponry.

For example, take away the weapons and enemies. What do you have? ( already said the plot could go to hell, so I'm not including that, and remember Virgil IS AN ENEMY)

Nemesis X
Kinda laughed when folks at Twitter said that the new Dante looks like "Jack Skellington's boyfriend." Tbh, the idea of a reboot gives me mixed feelings.

No End N Site
Originally posted by Nemesis X
"Jack Skellington's boyfriend."

Lmao!

Wait.....Jack Skellington IS NOT gay!

Demonic Phoenix
Overall style and mechanics in DMC= enemies and ESPECIALLY it's weaponry.

For example, take away the weapons and enemies. What do you have? ( already said the plot could go to hell, so I'm not including that, and remember Virgil IS AN ENEMY)

No, overall style and mechanics in DMC includes the survival factor in the first game or the extreme action oriented combat (with several techniques such as jump-canceling, buffering, 'comboing' etc.) in the 3rd that is obviously aided by the weapons and enemies, but with the weapons & enemies themselves not being noteworthy in any way.

Also, Vergil as an gameplay boss is not awesome. Vergil as a character however, is.

Th3birdman
"Vergil as an gameplay boss is not awesome."

I almost broke my neck with the double take I just did. You obviously didn't play the special edition on Dante Must Die. But I'm curious- how'n the hell can you combo in that game without the weapons? Let me let you in on a secret- weapons are designed first, then combos after. Ergo, you needed those weapons for those combos.

Demonic Phoenix
"Vergil as an gameplay boss is not awesome."

I almost broke my neck with the double take I just did. You obviously didn't play the special edition on Dante Must Die.

The boss fights with Vergil weren't changed significantly in the Special Edition of the game.

On DMD, Vergil just uses his Summoned Swords in all three battles, and DT's more often in the second and third battles. Nothing much else differs from DMD and the other difficulties, apart from the usual differences of increased health, attack, defense and such.

But I'm curious- how'n the hell can you combo in that game without the weapons? Let me let you in on a secret- weapons are designed first, then combos after. Ergo, you needed those weapons for those combos.

"extreme action oriented combat...in the 3rd that is obviously aided by the weapons and enemies, but with the weapons & enemies themselves not being noteworthy in any way."

Clearly you failed to grasp the meaning of the statement.
Yes, you need weapons and enemies for the combos. Nowhere did I imply otherwise.
However, the fact that the combat and comboing is essentially free-form in the game is what I implied was noteworthy, not the fact that you can simply combo with the weapons, or the weapon designs themselves.

Or to put it in a much simpler way: I have a sword which is ordinary. However, my combat techniques (i.e. what I can do) with the sword are extraordinary. Get the picture?

Th3birdman
Sigh*

Well agree to disagree on Virgil being an awesome boss fight.

However I'm not convinced that, without the weapons, freeform gameplay mechanics in Devil May Cry would even exist. Granted, DMC 2 doesn't really shine, but the mechanics AFFORDED to the weapons was what I meant. Example- The different styles. Like you said, a sword is ordinary. But give me ONE ordinary weapon in DMC. The weapons make DMC stylish. The mechanics of the weapons make DMC what it is, barring plot.

NemeBro
So what's up guys?

Ban Mido
I'm kinda hoping this guy..who I refuse to call Dante...is kinda like a Nero deal, except this guy just THINKS he's Dante and then he finally meets the real Dante..and gets stomped to hell..like...you can't win the fight...you meet real Dante..get completely destroyed...and it's the end of the game no expression...As unlikely as my situation may seem I'll continue to think that xD...

Gah...with this "Dante" looking so haggard Ive basically just decided nothing will surprise me in this game..if Virgil shows up in an Orange Gi with black hair and his can hair turn golden, Id be like "this seems familiar..although it's better than that...man..thing..with the guns I've been playing as" xD...sorry just..wow..this is like them changing Ryu or one of their other main characters...."Well this new Ryu will look completely different and not even have the same hair or face..BUT HE CAN STILL PULL OFF HADOUKEEEENSSS ;D!!"

MadMel
It's like they gave Phoenix Wright curly hair sick

BloodRain
Some notes from another site;
''Jones added that part of the redesign also has to do with "making the game relevant to the current times."
"Look at the (Christopher Nolan's) Dark Knight," he said. "That went from the Gothic fun house of the earlier Batman movies, to a fairly dark look at Chicago crime today.''

"We want to update and mature the tone of Devil May Cry."
''Jones promises that Dante's new look isn't arbitrary. There is reasoning, a story behind why the young Dante looks so different than his older self.''
''He did say that DmC will be an origin story and explained how that impacted the character design.

"Part of the ethos of a reboot or retelling of an origin story is to go back and find out why certain totems of a franchise exist," Jones said, talking about Dante's famously white hair. "We want to tell those elements of the story."

Guess that flash to a red eyed, white haired Dante was him later on in the game.

Also see QTE's in this game.

Rascaduanok

Th3birdman
Man, to hell with what he looks like. I'm more interested in the gameplay. If it's anywhere near DMC 3's progressive and deep combat system, consider it 3 Blu-Rays I wont be able to buy.

Th3birdman
Also-- Dante is awesome..... you'd think he'd be more respected for creating an entire genre...

NemeBro
Being the first does not make you the best.

Also, what genre is that, just so we are clear?

Th3birdman
I'm not trying to flame- I'm making this clear, because from most of what I've read from you, Neme, that's your thing.

To answer you question- the 3rd person stylish action genre.

BloodRain
DMC is to Hack and Slash as The Matrix is to bullet timing.. ish.

And the stylish combat that doesn't come around often. (No things like GoW can only get close)

AsbestosFlaygon
DMC came before GoW, so I see his point.

Nevertheless, GoW was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMC.

Th3birdman
Which DMC and which GoW? I'll compare, what are in my opinion, the two best games of thei respective series, DMC 3 and GoW.

Story/plot
GoW >DMC,

Main Character
GoW >DMC

Weapons
DMC >GoW

Combos
DMC >GoW

Difficulty (for the Hard mode fans)
DMC >GoW

Ease of play
DMC >GoW

Don't get me wrong, I love GoW... I'm a Sony guy, after all. I just am of the opinion that DMC 3> all other hack and slashers that have come after it so far. Sure, they've made Dante into a ridiculously overused anime anti-hero with a snarky attitude, but dammit, isn't that the only characterization the Japanese come up with?? *joke*

Nephthys
They have a few others:

http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/2/5/2/japanese-school-girl-751238.jpg

Also: Rapeman.

Sappho
i like the fact they want to reboot the series. the old dante is still there, people who bitched about his old looks get a new look (which you will probably ***** about, too). ill definitely give it a try, hopefully they dont mess this up. IM COUNTING ON YOU NINJA THEORY

quanchi112
This looks absolutely dreadful. The series lost me in part 2 anyways but this doesn't make me want to come back but steer far clear from this cheesy lame series.

SaTsuJiN
the only thing I dont care for with these types of games is that the combat just boils down to spamming dodge.. not actually using it in a skillful manner (or any of the other techniques).. and whatever dodge animation occurs has way too many invincibility frames.. god forbid they have to come up with a new evasion system than just barrel rolling through the entire game.. /sigh

I thought Matrix : Path of Neo was on to something with the multi-directional attacking, but Arkham Asylum just took it and noobified it to the max.. I swore every direction I pressed, no matter how far the enemy was, batman would turn and do a terry bogard 'bust-a-wolf' which would hit several enemies along the way

DMC definitely set the bar.. but then they got lazy and took the pokemon approach, and just added pointless things.. like breeding and making pokemon food

despite this dante looking like a complete heroin addict.. I'm willin to sit it out and see some gameplay vids.. if I see some more barrel roll spamming though, eff that..

Th3birdman
Originally posted by quanchi112
This looks absolutely dreadful. The series lost me in part 2 anyways but this doesn't make me want to come back but steer far clear from this cheesy lame series.

WHOA mate! 2 sucked bad, but where on the British Isles were you when Dante's Awakening released? It's easily the best in the series...

NemeBro
Of course there are people who think the series as a whole is garbage.

BloodRain
Then its a shame their opinion means nothing.

Needs more info..

FinalAnswer
Then its a shame their opinion means nothing.

Needs more info..

Correct opinions are generally moar valued then wrong ones though.

Th3birdman
Correct opinions are generally moar valued then wrong ones though.

Then again there's no such thing as a "correct opinion"

Cynical forum bastards!! I hate you guys lol big grin

NemeBro
This is true, but BR started the whole value of opinion shenanigans.

Th3birdman
Final Answer just has this amazing vendetta against DMC though... He'll probably say he did, but I can't see, in my mind's eye, him ever playing DMC 3. If you liked God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc (not saying you did FA) I can't see how you wouldn't like at least DMC 3. Kick-assery abounds in all those, so I'm guessing you don't like the protag?? Well the special edition solves that problem

NemeBro
I have hated Devil May Cry before FA even joined this site. no expression

Th3birdman
I have hated Devil May Cry before FA even joined this site. no expression

My curiosity is getting the better of me-

What does this have to with what I said (which was directed at Final Answer)?

NemeBro
I was insulted at the implication that his vendetta for the series surpasses mine.

Th3birdman
HAHA! You seriously have me LOL'n!

*wiping tear away* What's your gripe with DMC again? You don't like Dante, right

BloodRain
After watching some Enslaved clips I can see the gameplay shifting to this more then the DMC3 combat. A pre-pre-Dante wouldn't have that kind of skill. Could be good for gameplay but not for the DMC combo's.

No End N Site
Ninja Theory's actually pretty good in the gameplay department, imo.

Th3birdman
My only problem with NT is their half, no wait, QUARTER-arsed reason why they changed Dante's face and personality.

SaTsuJiN
My only problem with NT is their half, no wait, QUARTER-arsed reason why they changed Dante's face and personality. I'm pretty sure they were told to do that by capcom

they said something along the lines of making a drastic change, and that they would consult them on whether or not they went too far.. so apparently capcom is pleased with what they did

FinalAnswer
Final Answer just has this amazing vendetta against DMC though... He'll probably say he did, but I can't see, in my mind's eye, him ever playing DMC 3. If you liked God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc (not saying you did FA) I can't see how you wouldn't like at least DMC 3. Kick-assery abounds in all those, so I'm guessing you don't like the protag?? Well the special edition solves that problem

Basically everything except the gameplay (Though I could honestly care less for hack and slash) and some of the music.

But yeah, Dante being a giant asshat is a major contributor to my dislike of the series.

Th3birdman
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I'm pretty sure they were told to do that by capcom

they said something along the lines of making a drastic change, and that they would consult them on whether or not they went too far.. so apparently capcom is pleased with what they did

Not exactly.

They said something to the effect of OldDante walking into a bar and being laughed out. I bullshit you not.

Th3birdman
Basically everything except the gameplay (Though I could honestly care less for hack and slash) and some of the music.

But yeah, Dante being a giant asshat is a major contributor to my dislike of the series.

Well 2 things

Again, the special edition solves your personal problem with Dante. Play as Virgil or Sparda. Hell, skip the cutscenes.

(Not trying to flame you mate, honest) Why comment on this particular thread? If you had no interest, I don't see the thinking behind it

quanchi112
WHOA mate! 2 sucked bad, but where on the British Isles were you when Dante's Awakening released? It's easily the best in the series... Never played anything past 2 save the most recent one for the ps3. I played it pre gaming phase but it was so terrible and cheesy this series just sucks imo.

BloodRain
That laughing out of a bar thing was about the red trench, white hair and dress sense. I think they forgot about the fiction side to the game, or how how out of all game characters with the japanese edge to it a red trench and white hair isnt that odd.

Is a poor reason if it is one.

Edit: Ep1 of the anime, no-one batted an eyelid when he entered the bar..

Th3birdman
Originally posted by quanchi112
Never played anything past 2 save the most recent one for the ps3. I played it pre gaming phase but it was so terrible and cheesy this series just sucks imo.

Play 3. Then you'll understand why DMC blew up all over again.

Yeah, I'll admit, the cutscenes are pretty cheesy, but that's only in the very beginning, DMC 3 took a morre serious turn a littla after 1/3 of the way. Not saying it's a symphony, but it's not Britney Spears either.

And, I'm curious-- Did you play DMC 1? That game can not be honestly considered cheesy.

Demonic Phoenix
DMC 1 was anything but cheesy.

While Dante had a couple of cheesy lines in 1, it was an anthill compared to the mountain he had in 3.

FinalAnswer
Well 2 things

Again, the special edition solves your personal problem with Dante. Play as Virgil or Sparda. Hell, skip the cutscenes.

(Not trying to flame you mate, honest) Why comment on this particular thread? If you had no interest, I don't see the thinking behind it

If I need to skip the cutscenes in order to enjoy the game, that's ghey. Plus, couldn't give a shit about either those two.

Quite contrary, I believe I may have already said that this Devil May Cry looks far more interesting then its predecessors, same goes with Dante, even if he does look like the Frankenstein Monster on meth.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
DMC 1 was anything but cheesy.

While Dante had a couple of cheesy lines in 1, it was an anthill compared to the mountain he had in 3.

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIGHT!

Th3birdman
If I need to skip the cutscenes in order to enjoy the game, that's ghey. Plus, couldn't give a shit about either those two.

Quite contrary, I believe I may have already said that this Devil May Cry looks far more interesting then its predecessors, same goes with Dante, even if he does look like the Frankenstein Monster on meth.

Haha big grin

You may be right, but I was just saying to enjoy the game part of it. I mean if you aren't really into MGS4's storyline, you can still enjoy the fantastic gameplay.

But I agree. This game DOES look interesting, I just wish they didn't have to change Dante's look to do it. Considering that, in chronological order, DMC 2 is the last game, they could have easily used that Dante as a template, because he was about his most serious, personality-wise. It just strikes me as out of continuity with Marvel vs Capcom 3. Besides, we only need one chain smoking video game character, and that'd be Snake

CadoAngelus
Though I find Capcom's actions sacrilegious in most respects, it could be interesting to see what they do with it. Though I'm still not pleased with the news, it'll still be interesting.

Demonic Phoenix
I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIGHT!

This being the cheesiest line EVAR!

http://orlydarksoul.ytmnd.com/

Th3birdman
IIIIIIIIGHT!

Seems like you want to pick a FIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTT

BloodRain
IqagPN9Q6ec

Now thats more like it. Had a good feeling that his 'DT' form would be a white haired version of himself, the combat is looking fairly good too. Not DMC4 style tormenting good.. but good enough. The weapon style and combat get a thumbs up too.

Though some of the scenes looked like they were made before DMC4, some parts even looking less real then other DMC games. Do hope they work on this. Just need to see the storyline.

Other than that I like what I see happy ....... so far >__>

BloodRawEngine
That trailer was downright Assassin's Creed-esque.

Anyway, I'd long-since entered a state of neutrality with my views towards this game, and the fact that there's actually a DT in the game suggests that the game actually is a full reboot continuity in addition to an origin story (it was always unclear). Good move afaic; I stopped taking the old Dante seriously a long time ago, and stopped thinking he was cool even sooner. Hopefully this portrayal doesn't evolve into something so overblown.

BloodRain
This DT could be a way to make him into the old Dante, like with what they said about his hair.

Think its confirmed that DmC Dante will be going by his alias of Tony Redgrave.

BloodRain
EOS1iZS8Yfk

The gameplay is shaping up, some parts even appear faster than previous games. And a scythe. Finally a game to use one in combat well. Do hope they can fit a lot more enemies on the screen to match the large areas.

No word on the story yet but they have released some info; They've decided to add to Dante's origin story. Apparently the game will have him coming to terms with his half-demon and half-angel lineage with his 'Rebellion' changing forms with these powers. The fast, weak, blue scythe for angel and slow, strong, red axe for devil.

Have always liked the angel/demon hybrids, but is it good to replace his origin with this? One issue I have is that it takes away Dante's 'humanity' card. The games have him hating demons and not being fond of his devil side and how he'd rather embrace his human/mothers side. Being a 'demon with a heart' was an important thing, they even stated in a few media that it was due to him embracing his humanity that he was able to surpass normal demons. Maybe they'll replace this with the angels pure heart business. /shrugs

Rascaduanok
This thread pretty much sums up the inadequacies of this game for me:

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Andyman067/dmc-concerns-from-a-long-time-fan-an-open-letter-to-ninja-theory--209292.phtml

Demonic Phoenix
EOS1iZS8Yfk

The gameplay is shaping up, some parts even appear faster than previous games. And a scythe. Finally a game to use one in combat well. Do hope they can fit a lot more enemies on the screen to match the large areas.

No word on the story yet but they have released some info; They've decided to add to Dante's origin story. Apparently the game will have him coming to terms with his half-demon and half-angel lineage with his 'Rebellion' changing forms with these powers. The fast, weak, blue scythe for angel and slow, strong, red axe for devil.

Have always liked the angel/demon hybrids, but is it good to replace his origin with this? One issue I have is that it takes away Dante's 'humanity' card. The games have him hating demons and not being fond of his devil side and how he'd rather embrace his human/mothers side. Being a 'demon with a heart' was an important thing, they even stated in a few media that it was due to him embracing his humanity that he was able to surpass normal demons. Maybe they'll replace this with the angels pure heart business. /shrugs

Shitty retcon is shitty.

Gameplay looks good as you said though.

JayDaDon
Way i see it, DMC3 was as good as it got. And it was pretty damn good. I just can't see this being better. So far there's nothing about it that makes me anticipate it at all. Maybe they'll surprise me but I'm doubtful.

jalek moye
EOS1iZS8Yfk
And a scythe. Finally a game to use one in combat well.

Didn't like Ninja Gaiden 2?

BloodRain
Didn't even play it. But saw the gameplay, acted to much like the slower heavy weapons, like the one in Dante's Inferno. This ones more combat/combo/fast paced from what we've seen.

jalek moye
Dante's Inferno Scythe was pretty fast when leveled up. But Scythes are heavy weapons so it makes sense to be slower than spears.

Scythe
Originally posted by jalek moye
But Scythes are heavy weapons so it makes sense to be slower than spears.

We're just big boned.

NemeBro
I kinda loled.

Scythe
/lesadface

CadoAngelus
Regardless of whether it's a reboot, this could be an interesting direction to follow, with the scything

BloodRain
Z1Qwfnqo8io

Burning thought
I quite like the look of this game. Still not the bggest fan of this appearance for Dante but it will probably grow on me. It seems Dante has had to fight creatures all his life, they all want a piece of him. Are the worlds he fights in all the same? you would have thought they would have their own defenders in some form or another by now what with their constant attacks yet Dante almost always seems alone.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but is Dantes DT, simply his older form of Dante with his long red coat and white hair?

BloodRain
Well (from the other DMC's) the twins did start training to combat demons when they were kids. A lifetime of combat. IMO it looks like the human world and demon world, with the demon realm distorting the surroundings.
And he pretty much is alone in this. In all of DMC the only other person that can defeat strong demons is Nero (Compare his level to Dante's). Sure there are others like Trish, Lucia, Lady and the Order of the Sword, but they're all pretty weak in the long run (Compare their level to Nero's).

That'd go with what Ninja theory said earlier about this Dante becoming the Dante we knew before.

BloodRain

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>