Do You Like Live Albums?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
For the most part, I don't really like listening to live albums from artists, unless it's a particularly good recording/set and I'm a big fan of the artist, or if it's an acoustic set.

What are your thoughts on live records/albums?

Share some favorites if you have any, or if you don't like 'em, tell us why.

ESB -1138
One of my favorite live albums is Billy Joel's Songs in the Attic. He's one of the few artists I can think of that sounds better live than in the studio. For the most part it really depends on the artist and songs on the album. I mean for the most part Songs in the Attic was kind of a smart live album as it didn't contain any hits people were familiar live but instead tried to introduce the people to lesser known songs which is something I think many artists try to do with their live shows.

JacopeX
Some are pretty epic. Like old MTV unplugged shows, Rush in Rio, Queen in Montreal, and many others that I can't think of right now.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by JacopeX
Some are pretty epic. Like old MTV unplugged shows, Rush in Rio, Queen in Montreal, and many others that I can't think of right now. Not sure about those, but 'Go **** Yourself' was a pretty good live album.

StyleTime
Typically, I dislike live albums; however, I have heard some that were quite pleasant.

12:5 by Pain of Salvation is an example of one that I actually liked.

Tptmanno1
Live albums, if done well can be really awesome, but the sound and the band has to be on. Nothing worse than a live album with crappy sound

Take Bloodbath. Their live at Waken album is easily one of their best, because they are so damn good, and the production value is amazing. (Its also a great DVD)

Doctor-Alvis
Depends on the band. Some bands are awesome live. And sometimes they are terrible, which makes me sad as I imagine those bands trying to brute force the songs from the album together clip by clip.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Not sure about those, but 'Go **** Yourself' was a pretty good live album. Never heard of that one. happy

My curiosity has gone to me, though. Please enlighten me with some sample tracks.

Don't dissapoint me now. sad

Dr. Leg Kick
Never heard of that one. happy

My curiosity has gone to me, though. Please enlighten me with some sample tracks.

Don't dissapoint me now. sad

Track 5 is a must

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVskGs4RSQ&feature=related

JacopeX
Track 5 is a must

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVskGs4RSQ&feature=related Hey, i'm a big fan of Penn Gillette, but this remix sucked. It's probably difference in taste. erm

MutantOrange
I like live albums that have been recorded well, and when the band does something different during the show, like an extended solo, an instrument battle or jam.

draxx_tOfU
Most of the time, if I already have the studio album or most of the songs, I tend not to buy the live versions. Few exceptions are Metallica's S&M and Alice in Chains Unplugged. I'm currently waiting for iTunes to release A7X live in the LBC...

Dr. Leg Kick
Hey, i'm a big fan of Penn Gillette, but this remix sucked. It's probably difference in taste. erm Scumbag^

NemeBro
I liked Judas Priest's Touch of Evil in particular, was an awesome live album.

JacopeX
Scumbag^ ^ doo doo head.

happy

K J H
Ive just got the MUSE Haarp Live at wembley album put it on full blast

AWESOME smile

Dr. Leg Kick
^ doo doo head.

happy I'm glad you've grown up a bit, but still the same pile of shit.

Dave_97
Rush in Rio.
Metallica s&m.
Blind Guardian Live.

live albums i enjoy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.